• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

Ubisoft claims that when possible they release games across platforms at the same time. You said, "But AC3 came out on Wii U later." I pointed out that happened due to the Wii U not being available at the time of AC3's launch, thus it couldn't possibly be released at the same time as the PS3 and 360 versions. Where's the confusion?

So what was stopping them from delaying the PS3/360 versions for all of them to release at the same time?

It's not my job to pity the developers, grow some balls and stand up to the higher ups within the publisher. Don't cry to us, I'm not their friend They want my money? Well, they ain't getting it now. Simple as that.

Exactly.

To everyone who is saying that boycotting the game will send messages of, "Well, we never wanted Rayman in the first place!"

Then have you considered actually voicing your stance to UbiSoft? Let them know, "Hey, I was going to buy Rayman Legends, but because of the delay, I won't be."

Foffy

Banned
Exactly.

To everyone who is saying that boycotting the game will send messages of, "Well, we never wanted Rayman in the first place!"

Then have you considered actually voicing your stance to UbiSoft? Let them know, "Hey, I was going to buy Rayman Legends, but because of the delay, I won't be."

That's what I'm doing. I'm voting with my wallet. I don't mind paying $60 for a 2D platformer. Too bad Rayman Legends will not be purchased at that price for me.

No more than $20 will go to this game. I mean, surely the game would already be at that price in September on Wii U if it came out this month, right? I have to take into account such a price drop. ;)

Burai

shitonmychest57
Do you even follow wiiU news?

Yes I do.

Nintendo showcased Rayman as the game for Wii U's Demo Kiosk. It was also likely going to get some major publicity in the future Nintendo Directs.

The Wii U is getting still developing their userbase, it the drought of first party games would have been a good time to release Rayman. Now Rayman could be swallowed up by other games coming in the later half of the year.

1) It was the only demo in that shitty kiosk. Nintendo should be thanking them.

2) Nintendo Direct doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things.

3) Developing the userbase is no good to Ubisoft. They don't care. They have no vested interest in the Wii U succeeding or not. In the face of a third party drought and missed sales targets, Nintendo had every incentive to moneyhat this game.

From an independent developer. Not a publisher.
They can form a relationship there. Ubi are hardly looking reliable. Nintendo can't pay for every third party release.

Ubi stuck with the Wii, long past the point everyone else jumped ship. Ubi also had two launch window games specifically tailored to the hardware. You can't say that about any other third party on the Wii U. Who better to throw money behind?

it and ZombiU have sort of headlined the entire Wii U launch. even NSMB:U and Nintendo Land have taken a back seat and i think it's caused the entire console launch to lose some momentum.

Yeah, and Nintendo weren't paying a damn penny toward it. It's not up to Ubisoft to promote Nintendo's hardware on their own dime.

That's what I'm doing. I'm voting with my wallet. I don't mind paying $60 for a 2D platformer. Too bad Rayman Legends will not be purchased at that price for me.

No more than $20 will go to this game. I mean, surely the game would already be at that price in September on Wii U if it came out this month, right? I have to take into account such a price drop. ;)

This is gold. :D

If I purchase it at all, it'll be for 15 bucks on Black Friday. I already cancelled my Newegg preorder.

Can you tell me why holding back Rayman Legends on Wii U is smart business? I'm genuinely curious.

As others have said:

The only have to market it once. Meaning they only have to pay for ads once.
Q3/Q4 DOES see a lot of holiday sales, even if it is a crowded time period.
Someone else said it: It would be "Yesterday's News" when the PS3/360 versions come out.
It will be cheaper on the Wii U by the time the other two versions come out, while this way they can charge $60 across three platforms with a unified userbase of 150 million+

farnham

Banned
Yes I do.

3) Developing the userbase is no good to Ubisoft. They don't care. They have no vested interest in the Wii U succeeding or not. In the face of a third party drought and missed sales targets, Nintendo had every incentive to moneyhat this game.

Ubi stuck with the Wii, long past the point everyone else jumped ship. Ubi also had two launch window games specifically tailored to the hardware. You can't say that about any other third party on the Wii U. Who better to throw money behind?

Yeah, and Nintendo weren't paying a damn penny toward it. It's not up to Ubisoft to promote Nintendo's hardware on their own dime.
you do realize that just dance is an incredibly strong seller (strongest franchise) and does only resonate with the wii userbase so far. Saying that ubi has no interest in wiiu success is false.

Yes I do.

Then do it better.

1) 2) 3): It'S true except all the things they did, they didn't do anything. What an awesome point you're making

sp3000

Maybe they will get rid of the Wii U version entirely and only release on 360 and PS3

Glorious meltdowns will certainly ensue

deviljho

This is gold. :D

IlnPZxZ.gif

Haunted

Not buying the game doesn't give the message that it's not okay to delay the game; it gives the impression that you don't want more games like it full stop. I guess the best way to respond is to directly contact Ubisoft to voice your disapproval rather than punish the hardworking devs with a game bombing.
To be fair, if the game really releases in September against all the big budget competition, it will most likely bomb either way, with or without a couple angry boycotters.

?oe?oe

The game isn't big enough, sales wise, for this craziness. I don't think Ubisoft will come through with the marketing so many of you are grasping on.

Burai

shitonmychest57
you do realize that just dance is an incredibly strong seller (strongest franchise) and does only resonate with the wii userbase so far. Saying that ubi has no interest in wiiu success is false.

And Nintendo threw the Just Dance audience away with such a radical departure from the Wiimote.

After just finishing my 19th Digital download from eShop I see the next blank tile that was reserved for Rayman Legends on my Wii U menu ;_; what will take its place? sniff #FreeRayman :(

And Nintendo threw the Just Dance audience away with such a radical departure from the Wiimote.

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Is there a scenario in which Nintendo EVER wins?

"Nobody liked the Wiimote and Nunchuck! It drove developers away! Everyone hated motion controls!"

Iwata: So, we've made a new controller. This one has a tablet in it, but retains everything that the Wii Remote had as well. It also retains a more traditonal control scheme. In the event you don't like that, the Wii Remote is also available to use as another controller.

"How dare you abandon the people who loved the Wii Remote, Nintendo!"

Roo

After just finishing my 19th Digital download from eShop I see the next blank tile that was reserved for Rayman Legends on my Wii U menu ;_; what will take its place? sniff #FreeRayman :(

19th? :O
names.. now!!
also
I'd like to follow you or be your friend (if your friend list is not full) on Miiverse.. what's your NNID? :D

Lizardus

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

"Nobody liked the Wiimote and Nunchuck! It drove developers away! Everyone hated motion controls!"

Iwata: So, we've made a new controller. This one has a tablet in it, but retains everything that the Wii Remote had as well. It also retains a more traditonal control scheme. In the event you don't like that, the Wii Remote is also available to use as another controller.

This is NeoGAF.gif

I will not be buying it day 1 in September. I WILL buy it for cheaper

farnham

Banned

Wii mote still works with wiiu. Any just dance fan can use the old wiimote and go with it on wiiu.
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

No people will keep this up until they go third party.

Already said why. Go back a page or two.

If you meant this (which was in the other thread):

Larger Wii U install base. One consolidated marketing push. One price-point across all platforms.

You already have a Wii U install base that is starved for games for the first half of 2013. The second half is up in the air. You have people that resolved to purchase a Wii U for Rayman Legends. With this delay and the release on other consoles, Nintendo loses those sales. The game will now compete with big titles on those other consoles.

I'm not seeing the business sense in that. Nintendo loses, and people looking forward to playing the game in a couple of weeks lose. I don't see how Ubisoft gains anything substantially from this.

I'll give you marketing, but waiting for a larger install base? Might as well release every game near the end of a console's life, then. One price-point across all platforms? Didn't stop other late ports from third-party developers. Also, if I recall correctly, Assassin's Creed III came only about a month later on Wii U. It was perfectly feasible to delay that game a month if they were so committed to releasing games simultaneously. Rayman Legends is being delayed seven months.

I'll give you marketing, but waiting for a larger install base? Might as well release every game near the end of a console's life, then. One price-point across all platforms? Didn't stop other late ports from third-party developers. Also, if I recall correctly, Assassin's Creed III came only about a month later on Wii U. It was perfectly feasible to delay that game a month if they were so committed to releasing games simultaneously. Rayman Legends is being delayed seven months.

You don't see the inherent value in launching ahead of Halo 4 and CoD?

AniHawk

This is NeoGAF.gif

I will not be buying it day 1 in September. I WILL buy it for cheaper

i love rayman origins, but it was $30 the very week after it released. you bet i waited. :p

i also got beyond good & evil new for $8 in 2003. maybe i should just get it for $60 to even it out a bit.

This is similar to Devil May Cry 4. IIRC the devs found out DMC4 was coming to Xbox 360 when it was announced at a trade show. The Rayman devs are probably better off since the game is apparently finished.

Hattori

Banned
hopefully the game will bomb due to the september release date, especially on 360 and ps3.

there is no hope required. this game is 99% guaranteed to bomb. I sure as hell am not going to waste $60 on it when I've got the PS4 + Launch games and Nintendo big hitters coming at the same time frame

AniHawk

This is similar to Devil May Cry 4. IIRC the devs found out DMC4 was coming to Xbox 360 when it was announced at a trade show. The Rayman devs are probably better off since the game is apparently finished.

the devs apparently aren't better off. they now have to go put this game back into development for the ps3 and 360, which it apparently was never scheduled for. so now they have to rework the touch screen stuff they had for those systems (i'm sure it'll just be normal rayman levels or analog stick murphy). this, on top of the crunch time schedule they slaved over for the last few months to make sure it hit the first delayed release date.

so not only was their hard work for nothing, but now it starts again. that kinda blows.

edit: it really sucks to see people wanting this game to bomb. it's fucking michel ancel guys. give him and his team the support they deserve.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I feel for the developers,but if you want to punish ubisoft, you punish them too. And if you buy to support the devs, you tell ubisoft that it is ok to do this, we'll just roll over.

Perhaps those that have WiiUs can still buy on WiiU but boycott the PS3/360 versions?

Or just send the devs $5-10 directly and don't buy the game. Is more that they'll get from ubisoft anyway, I doubt they'd make back more than their advance

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You actually don't find my posts interesting..
Very interesting in a Rich way, I thought you'd get it. Your love/hate relation with Nintendo is extreme, and good or bad I can't help but read your posts.

I was charged for my preorder a day earlier to this news, this is what annoys me the most.

Nintendude712

Neo Member
T_T

I'm both mad and fucking depressed.

I was so excited for this game!! We only had like 2 more weeks to go and now we have to wait 7 MONTHS?! and for what?! For 2 inferior ports for 2 consoles that will get a HUGE 3rd party game in the same month?! ARE YOU SHITTING ME?! :mad:

UGH. Im on the fence about this now. I will probably still get it but I'll wait until the price drops like it did for Origins a week after it launched and maybe used.

The multiplat thing is not a big deal for me, but that is a freaking stab in the back to Nintendo after they gave them all that advertisement on the kiosks, eShop demo exposure, and the Nintendo Direct exposure. Not to mention the publishing in Japan!!

Ubi, you really dropped the ball with this. The best way to handle this wouldve been to release the Wii U version as planned, and stayed quiet about the other versions til later like the summer and then release those in September.

Will buy anyway, just because Rayman Origins is one of my favorite games of last year.

But probably not on Wii U, because I guess I won't have one anymore when this hits the store shelves.

AniHawk

the game is being delayed. that sucks. it's finished and was about to be released. that really sucks.

it's still coming out for your system of choice
lol as of now lol.

there really isn't a huge reason to be upset in the long run since the game is at least still coming out. you'll get it the same way it would have been. it sucks for the developers, but at least this isn't a shenmue ii dreamcast situation. that was way worse, but fortunately europe came through with the definitive version of that game. now i'm off-topic.

i just don't think the boycotts are worth it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As others have said:

The only have to market it once. Meaning they only have to pay for ads once.
Q3/Q4 DOES see a lot of holiday sales, even if it is a crowded time period.
Someone else said it: It would be "Yesterday's News" when the PS3/360 versions come out.
It will be cheaper on the Wii U by the time the other two versions come out, while this way they can charge $60 across three platforms with a unified userbase of 150 million+

You're saying that like they were going to put serious money behind pushing the wiiU version. I doubt that personally, it would have had good word of mouth and heavy press coverage due to few other wiiU titles out at the same time. Plus I doubt ubisoft would put much marketing spend behind such a small userbase

Personally I think they held it off to not devalue the game in the eyes of PS3/360 owners, or perhaps some kind of parity agreement with Sony/MS. Don't Sony have a 'same street date or extra content' clause in their publisher agreements? And maybe MS won't allow you to launch first on other platforms without concessions either (haven't PS3 titles been held up waiting for 360 versions?)

Hattori

Banned
Very interesting in a Rich way, I thought you'd get it. Your love/hate relation with Nintendo is extreme, and good or bad I can't help but read your posts.

I was charged for my preorder a day earlier to this news, this is what annoys me the most.

huh?? I have not seen any positive posts from him about nintendo

Top Bottom