• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Resident Evil 6 Race Representation Discussion Thread

I don't understand why it matters at all?

I don't know, maybe I'm insensitive, but I could care less.

The ethnicity of characters in the game I am playing has 0 effect on my enjoyment of the game.

I don't see why anyone should be vehement about game creators lack of minority inclusion in games.

It just doesn't seem like a big deal?

I mean Capcom is a Japanese company. I really doubt they have any racist intentions whatsoever.

I know the argument has been made that it wouldn't be hard to do, and this is true. It would be easy to add minorities to games.

At the end of the day though game creators have the freedom to do whatever they want. They should have this freedom. This is their creative work.

Neiteio

What if one of the white characters contracts a virus and turns into a black man? Would that be legit? Or maybe it turns out all the white people are actually black people who had viruses all along. And then the twist is there were never any white people, only mutants.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And if color is just color, then what's the problem with making one or two characters of different race?
Nobody said it's a problem, they said it's ridiculous to bitch about it turning out one way and not the other because it's just color. Stop trying to turn this on other people when they aren't making an issue out of any of these things but are rather trying to explain why it is not an issue as you believe. The strawman shit doesn't make many friends or convince anyone of your perspective.

Replicant

I go tto be honest man, this kinda defeats the whole thing.

People screamed Racism at RE5 becaues we were shooting black people with a white guy, color mattered there.

Think about it, if Chirs is really having a hard time and he stays very angry and the BITCH thing isn't just an isolated thing, if he was suddenly black and a new character it would make people very upset that the black man was angry. Hell this one of N'Gai's things all those years ago about RE5's trailer using the imagry of Angry black men and not having any context, and how it was negative imagry and how it look so bad to others.

Does a Black man need to be BLACK(whatever that means)? No, because every human is different, but just throwing a color on to a body regardless of how they act, talk or even move could send different images to different people.

This actually would be far worse then what they are doing now.

I don't think a specific race needs to behave in race-specific context either. But that doesn't mean they can't be represented nor should their role be superseded by other race. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the riot in Hong Kong/China from the POV of a local BSAA agent? Of someone who is inexperienced? It'd make the game more interesting and may introduce new game mechanic because the guy is green and not experienced like Chris/Leon.

As for people being angry because their race is represented in negative way, the only way to offset that is to also provide a positive portrayal of another characters from the same race. It's good of Capcom to have Sheva/Josh in the game. So the fact that some gamers complaint that Sheva was shoehorned in the game puzzled me. She was an African BSAA agent. Why should not she be there in the first place?

Nobody said it's a problem, they said it's ridiculous to bitch about it turning out one way and not the other because it's just color. Stop trying to turn this on other people when they aren't making an issue out of any of these things but are rather trying to explain why it is not an issue as you believe. The strawman shit doesn't make many friends or convince anyone of your perspective.

I'm not trying to make any friends. I just want to get the issue out of the door and being discussed more. So thank you to anyone who actually discuss this instead of making stupid jokes.

Riposte

Call of Duty MW3 got pretty RACIST in some of those shanty town sequences. (And given its Call of Duty, it turned the shanty town into the beaches of Normandy.) Where are you N'Gage?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like someone is grasping in an attempt to recapture the reaction to RE5's setting.

benzy

The setting is supposedly going to be across the globe, so it doesn't make sense to only have a new Asian protagonist when only a part of the game takes place in China. I demand for every new real-world setting, there be a new leading man/woman who represents that country.

Power to the people, because we are all one.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I was totally sympathetic to the idea that RE5 contained some racial stuff that maybe the creators didn't intend but didn't understand either. It didn't make me mad, but I believe it was worth talking about.

For some reason, I can't give any fucks about underrepresentation of whatever types of people as video game protagonists. It just doesn't matter to me at all. Video game characters are paper thin to begin with. What difference does their ethnicity (or gender) really make? When characters become more than the body jumping the pit or holding the gun, maybe I'll care.

Having white characters makes them most relatable to the consumer they're marketing to. It'll sell more units and make Capcom more money. Sorry if that pisses you off, business wins again!

I actually wonder how many gamers really think like that? GTASA was the best selling game in the series (by quite a bit) before GTA4 was released. It also ended up being the best selling game on the PS2. RE5 is currently the best selling game in the RE franchise. I think most gamers will buy a game regardless of the race of the main characters as long as it's a great game. And that definitely goes for already established franchises.

Replicant

I'm always taken aback by, of all games, Resident Evil being some sort of equality proving ground and source of debate. I mean, shouldn't this argument be transferred to a game or franchise that reaches a little higher with its narrative? Nothing wrong with pondering, but geez, as much as you can argue it can't hurt to inject a little racial diversity, what exactly changes at the end of the day?

Just seems like wasting the ammunition of a legitimate argument on an absolute intellectual turkey of a game.

What game though? Resident Evil is a popular game and its influence reach many types of gamers, of different race, sexuality, and possibly religions. What better platforms are there other than popular games like RE?

Anyway, I have to go out soon but I'd appreciate it if the discussion continues.

Neiteio

I don't think a specific race needs to behave in race-specific context either. But that doesn't mean they can't be represented nor should their role be superseded by other race. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the riot in Hong Kong/China from the POV of a local BSAA agent? Of someone who is inexperienced? It'd make the game more interesting and may introduce new game mechanic because the guy is green and not experienced like Chris/Leon.
Yes, it would be interesting. But it's not the story they want to tell. These guys know each other, they're a team. They happen to be white; maybe the stereotypical American look is nothing but shorthand for Capcom's global audience that "these are American characters." Or maybe they're just white because Capcom doesn't think it makes a difference what color they are. Probably both, but the latter is what makes this issue so petty.

As for people being angry because their race is represented in negative way, the only way to offset that is to also provide a positive portrayal of another characters from the same race. It's good of Capcom to have Sheva/Josh in the game. So the fact that some gamers complaint that Sheva was shoehorned in the game puzzled me. She was an African BSAA agent. Why should not she be there in the first place?
I don't recall seeing people say Sheva's design was shoehorned. Maybe mechanically, since her AI was a liability sometimes.

Luigiv said:
You forgot Middle Easterners.
oh well they don't count

DaBuddaDa

I actually wonder how many gamers really think like that? GTASA was the best selling game in the series (by quite a bit) before GTA4 was released. It also ended up being the best selling game on the PS2. RE5 is currently the best selling game in the RE franchise. I think most gamers will buy a game regardless of the race of the main characters as long as it's a great game. And that definitely goes for already established franchises.

Proven market trends that stretch across all forms of visual media: people like to see people similar to themselves. The white male is the most common player of console video games like Resident Evil. It is not an exact science, but a trend amongst irrational consumers exploited for highest sales potential.

Ada?
Nigga
who cares about that hoe when there's LEON!? I jizzed when I saw he's returning... He's such a boss.

Really?

Beth Cyra

I'm not trying to make any friends. I just want to get the issue out of the door and being discussed more. So thank you to anyone who actually discuss this instead of making stupid jokes.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to hate, I have my own things I like to push for, Gay and Lesbian characters in game are my big one.

So good luck to you, and hopefully you get your point across.

Kurod

Banned
Where are my handicapable leads? Maybe put Leon in a wheelchair or something. Instead of spin kicks he could roll over the zombies.

Replicant

I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to hate, I have my own things I like to push for, Gay and Lesbian characters in game are my big one.

Man, I'd push for Gay and Lesbian characters too. But if we can't even get different race represented even in one character, what are the chances we'd get a mainstream gay and lesbian character? Like I said, if Capcom ever has the guts of making Chris gay, I'd tip my hat off to them and become loyal customer.

Where are my handicapable leads? Maybe put Leon in a wheelchair or something. Instead of spin kicks he could roll over the zombies.

Siren 2 had a visually-impaired lead character (you can't see anything but blurs unless you sightjack) who had to rely on his dog to escape.

Proven market trends that stretch across all forms of visual media: people like to see people similar to themselves. The white male is the most common player of console video games like Resident Evil. It is not an exact science, but a trend amongst irrational consumers exploited for highest sales potential.

Really?

Yes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wouldn't it be interesting to see the riot in Hong Kong/China from the POV of a local BSAA agent? Of someone who is inexperienced? It'd make the game more interesting and may introduce new game mechanic because the guy is green and not experienced like Chris/Leon.

So you want them to completely change their script and game outline to placate people like you who like to complain about minority representation?

Replicant

So you want them to completely change their script and game outline to placate people like you who like to complain about minority representation?

What script? Do you have a proof that this script already exists and they have to re-write it to include minority representation? And I wonder why people complain about minority representation? Maybe because it's lacking and white people are not the only people who play RE.

And script was written the way Capcom wanted it. If they wanted it, they could have included colored characters. But they didn't. That's why it puzzled me because with the amount of characters they are using in this one plus the setting, one would think they can spare one character to be of different race.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ada? who cares about that hoe when there's LEON!? I jizzed when I saw he's returning... He's such a boss.

Regular members have been banned for less(Including myself), let alone juniors

just a heads up. I'd edit that post

Regular members have been banned for less(Including myself), let alone juniors

just a heads up. I'd edit that post

What have I done wrong? I've seen way more vulgar posts regularly, the two years I've been lurking waiting to get my account accepted.

What game though? Resident Evil is a popular game and its influence reach many types of gamers, of different race, sexuality, and possibly religions. What better platforms are there other than popular games like RE?

Anyway, I have to go out soon but I'd appreciate it if the discussion continues.

I appreciate your stance, though my main beef is gamer intent. I just cannot see gamers reaching for Resident Evil due to social analysis, racial issues, gender equity and so on. Granted, games should be subtly tackling these issues. An I reading too much into your argument that you want these issues examined, or simply want variance in the cast?

As stated, yeah, it'd be nice, but I feel that even if you had more options, would anyone really care? Don't read that as a nonchalant, apathetic retort, I'm simply stating it seems to be a non-issue until N'Gai and yourself shine a light on it. Does it make it any less important? Well, this thread is a good indicator.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What script? Do you have a proof that this script already exists and they have to re-write it to include minority representation?

And script was written the way Capcom wanted it. If they wanted it, they could have included colored characters. But they didn't. That's why it puzzled me because with the amount of characters they are using in this one plus the setting, one would think they can spare one character to be of different race.

Yep totally not scripted already after having been in development for two years. No big deal, lets throw in a green Asian agent for Chris to pal around with to placate whiners. This is the game they wanted to make and you're wanting them to sacrifice their creative vision so it can be more diverse.

What i'm saying is that at the end of the day games are gameplay driven. They live or die on that. If the gameplay is good enough then people really aren't going to care about whether or not they can "relate" to the main character.

Replicant

Yep totally not scripted already after having been in development for two years. No big deal, lets throw in a green Asian agent for Chris to pal around with to placate whiners. This is the game they wanted to make and you're wanting them to sacrifice their creative vision so it can be more diverse.

They can make any game they want to make and I'm not crazy enough to expect rewrites. But don't expect people to just sit down and be silent when they notice lack of representation of minority when the game actually takes place in a country where 90% of its population is not even represented in one of the lead characters.

Maybe it's too much to asked for but I'd ask for it anyway. Because you clearly don't care about those who wanted their race/sexuality/religion to be represented. So in return, why should they care that you throw a hissy fit when others want the game (or future games) to feature more diversification of characters?

Neiteio

How is Islam a race?
He says it because I forgot Middle Easterners when my omission was more a matter of me devoting too much brain power to fractions, lol. Fucking math.

Anyway, this thread is fuuuuuuuuun.

Every game should have Coach from L4D2, that's all I know.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
He says it because I forgot Middle Easterners when my omission was more a matter of me devoting too much brain power to fractions, lol. Fucking math.

Anyway, this thread is fuuuuuuuuun.

Every game should have Coach from L4D2, that's all I know.

But then every game will need a black villain anti-coach, or the balance will be shifted and the racists will have won.

Luigiv

I know, bI pointed out the exact same thing. I think you missed my point. Islam is a religion not a race. There is such a thing as non-Islamic middle easterners (such as myself, for example) and non-middle eastern Muslims.

Seems you missed how the point of my post was to reach maximum idiocy. I know it's not a race. :p

Fair enough. Bit of a "touchy" subject for me, so I missed the subtext there.

Nekofrog

Banned
oh jesus christ are you serious

ever since re5 people are super sensitive about an issue that really isn't even there to begin with

funny because nobody ever brings this shit up with a lot of other franchises

HEY GUYS EVERYONE IS TOO WHITE IN FINAL FANTASY

or whitasian.. or whaetever they are

Neiteio

But then every game will need a black villain anti-coach, or the balance will be shifted and the racists will have won.
So if Carl Winslow is the hero, there has to be a villain named Karl Warslow. Hurm, this will be complicated...

I know, bI pointed out the exact same thing. I think you missed my point. Islam is a religion not a race. There is such a thing as non-Islamic middle easterners (such as myself, for example) and non-middle eastern Muslims.
I understand. I was just being silly. :)

jett

D-Member
Jett, is your avatar Lawrence of Arabia or one of those no good terrorist Middle Easterners?

tumblr_lxprn1h0Nh1qdlh1io1_400.gif

What my avatar depicts is pure awesomeness.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

ever since re5 people are super sensitive about an issue that really isn't even there to begin with

Nah, FFXIII had Sazh! You know, the black guy with the afro...and the bird living in his hair.

Beth Cyra

As much as I agree with this about RE, this isn't true at all when it comes to FF.

Hell we had everyone screaming Racist about Sazh all because of a fro and then when he shows up he is nothing but a hard working and super loving father.

So there are race issues in other FF, maybe it's not as bad on Gaf. I can't really remember.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They can make any game they want to make and I'm not crazy enough to expect rewrites. But don't expect people to just sit down and be silent when they notice lack of representation of minority when the game actually takes place in a country where 90% of its population is not even represented in one of the lead characters.

Maybe it's too much to asked for but I'd ask for it anyway. Because you clearly don't care about those who wanted their race/sexuality/religion to be represented. So in return, why should they care that you throw a hissy fit when others want the game (or future games) to feature more diversification of characters?

Let's explore the logic whereby a game set in a certain place has to cast a person from that place as a protagonist for some reason.

Top Bottom