• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The new Simmons podcast where they're just dumping on ESPN is full-on "crazy ex," I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The new Simmons podcast where they're just dumping on ESPN is full-on "crazy ex," I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

Hahaha I thought folks would think this -- definitely reasonable but I quite enjoy corporate-drama stuff when I know the people involved pretty well. Then again I'm the type of person who read the ESPN oral-history book in like an afternoon. :p I enjoyed the discussion and as a corporate lawyer was definitely aghast at Simmons straight-up discussing confidential internal emails and conversations so candidly.

jtb

Banned
Bill significantly overestimates the interest people not named Jim Miller have in the boring corporate politics of Bristol because he significantly overestimates the interest people have in why ESPN fired him because he significantly overestimates his self-importance.

The dirty truth is that ESPN is really no different than corporate politics at any other company, and probably tamer compared to most other media companies. Like, reading about the long trail of bodies Matt Lauer has left in his wake at the Today Show is way more cutthroat and ruthless than anything I've read about ESPN tbh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
He didn't really talk about his own firing that much. Main topic of the podcast was more why is ESPN in the position it is today where it's having to slash jobs and pivot on strategies. Then obviously most of his insights are based on personal anecdotes so I guess it's self-absorbed in that way, but to me when he talks about these internal emails showing people freaking out about subscriber losses etc. that's not really about his firing at all. I found it interesting but maybe there's an audience of one for this stuff. :D

In any event, he's been cranking out pods so it's pretty easy to skip one if the topic doesn't interest you so I don't think it was at the expense of other topics or anything.

Brakke

Banned
While we're talking gossip, has anyone under Bill ever thrown shit? Most Grantland peeps I've heard have always been positive about that whole endeavor.

While we're talking gossip, has anyone under Bill ever thrown shit? Most Grantland peeps I've heard have always been positive about that whole endeavor.

Say what you want about Bill, but everyone that works with or for him seems to love the guy. He seems like a genuinely great boss.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I actually thought it was a good podcast. He didn't really throw shade at anyone so much as try to give some insight about the stuff behind the scenes. I mean I really think the only time he openly threw shade was at Greenie getting a three hour show. But then again, wasn't Greenie one of the few at the Mothership that was openly talking shit about Bill during the whole drama? Or am I misremembering that?

Anyways, good episode.

jtb

Banned
Just finished that ESPN pod. Good lord, Bill was getting so petty and revisionist about Grantland even Miller had to call him out on it lol.

Most striking of all: it was so transparent how bitter he was over the whole FiveThirtyEight thing. From the fact that he was never Nate Silver's boss, to the idea that someone could do a vanity site and... actually still be around after Grantland died? Don't get me wrong, 538 was pretty terrible (and performed abysmally) during the non-election cycle but are you really surprised and/or outraged that they would boost 538's headcount before a fucking election?? When they set insane traffic records for the New York Times in 2012?

To just glaze over the fact that FiveThirtyEight basically sets the political news cycle every morning during an election campaign, and the fact that people religiously click on that fucking tracker during election season is about as disingenuous as it gets. Not to mention, they're doing really well post-election, which everyone thought would be when ESPN would kill the site, myself included. (20 million views a month apparently?)

Maybe, just maybe, FiveThirtyEight is performing better than Grantland ever did.

(And FiveThirtyEight is terrible. But I'll keep those thoughts in PoliGAF). And to top it all off, a quick blowjob of Bleacher Report to say "Hi" to his new bosses. Crazy-ex vibes was right on the money. Bill should take a moratorium for whining about how he was treated at ESPN for like, at least, another year. Maybe balance it out with an equally public post-mortem on your fucking terrible HBO show?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
what did bill say that was that bad about 538? he even said he liked nate and hoped it did well. you make it sound like he went in hard after them but i just remember it coming up when talking about how espn was kind of all over the place with their decisions.

jtb

Banned
also if I remember correctly, Holly Anderson shitting on Jim Miller after Grantland died lol. A lot of "stop playing ESPN corporate MMQB when people just lost a bunch of their jobs" and implied that everyone got caught up in someone's petty feud.

Obviously, she went to work with Pappademas and co. and not Bill lol

what did bill say that was that bad about 538? he even said he liked nate and hoped it did well

He spent five minutes bitching about the fact that they got resources, and Grantland didn't get a social media editor lol. some SXSW interview or something?

I'm sure it was fine, there's just something I find so fucking grating about Bill when he goes into passive agressive mode lol

I think Bill was actually pretty chill during the whole thing. I don't think he came off as bitter about 538, but rather used them to make a point about how other ESPN sites like 538 and the Undefeated not making money either showed how fucked up they handled Grandland after he left.

jtb

Banned
Also ESPN 35 was hilarious. Some things are truly too absurd to be fiction

I think Bill was actually pretty chill during the whole thing. I don't think he came off as bitter about 538, but rather used them to make a point about how other ESPN sites like 538 and the Undefeated not making money either showed how fucked up they handled Grandland after he left.

I guess. Whenever talking about 538, he always has to get in that "you know, I recruited him. He was gonna work for me" quick hit. It always just comes across as so passive aggressive. But I find Bill to be pretty passive aggressive in general

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm enjoying all the Simbo pods recently, but am I the only one who has a really hard time with Kevin O'Connor? Like...he seems like a nice guy...but his contributions are basically what I would say if someone plucked me off the street and said "you have to pretend to be our NBA expert...don't worry, the host will tee everything up so you don't really need to know anything or have any inside info, but just roll with it and pretend that you do." The extent to which he just agrees with Simmons/'confirm' his rumors without adding anything at all is really impressive. Like today's pod I wish it was just House and Simbo, because even though House isn't an expert by any stretch at least he has his own opinions.

jtb

Banned
I'm enjoying all the Simbo pods recently, but am I the only one who has a really hard time with Kevin O'Connor? Like...he seems like a nice guy...but his contributions are basically what I would say if someone plucked me off the street and said "you have to pretend to be our NBA expert...don't worry, the host will tee everything up so you don't really need to know anything or have any inside info, but just roll with it and pretend that you do." The extent to which he just agrees with Simmons/'confirm' his rumors without adding anything at all is really impressive. Like today's pod I wish it was just House and Simbo, because even though House isn't an expert by any stretch at least he has his own opinions.

Sometimes it feels like BS and co. are too self-concious about the fact that KOC and Kevin Clark are transparently filling in for the Lowe/Barnwell role - which are pretty enormous shoes to fill.

I like KOC on their NBA pod though. He and Verno have a good, entertaining chemistry, even if they don't really go that in-depth into the Xs and Os.

gazele

Banned
House of Carbs has been fantastic so far

Yep, been loving it.

The Blaze pizza talk was a little rough I thought.

I understand House's point, but with thin pizza being ready within 60 seconds let alone 3 minutes isn't really that hard to do. It's also really good and different from pizza like dominios. Would not call it cheap though.

I liked the discussion about Umami burger (which I personally love) and how some feel a backlash to Silicon Valley word usage (disruptive, innovative) even though I personally don't have a problem with it and seems similar to deconstruction and gastronomy.

Also a little surprised they didn't discuss the Lyft/TacoBell team up.

bigkrev

The Cousin Sal podcast with Brad (the guy who would drink 17 cokes at the fantasy draft) is an all-timer. Just complete insanity

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Against All Odds is definitely on point between this and the Hellmuth pod (though I still won't listen to them unless they have a guest -- too gambling-degenerate even for me).

The one person I wish they'd have on pods more is Mallory Rubin (I don't watch GoT and that seems to be all she does anymore unfortunately), and I could do with a little less Juliet Litman. Can't really say why just a little tired of the ironic buzzwords like squad etc.

Against All Odds is definitely on point between this and the Hellmuth pod (though I still won't listen to them unless they have a guest -- too gambling-degenerate even for me).

The one person I wish they'd have on pods more is Mallory Rubin (I don't watch GoT and that seems to be all she does anymore unfortunately), and I could do with a little less Juliet Litman. Can't really say why just a little tired of the ironic buzzwords like squad etc.

CFB season is coming hope she does the pod again

Two new podcasts coming

Soccer podcast: Chris Ryan, Ryan O'hanlon, Micah Peter's

Rewatchables: movie podcast with focus on cable. First episode will be on a few good men

Must be make good money on podcasts

Two new podcasts coming

Soccer podcast: Chris Ryan, Ryan O'hanlon, Micah Peter's

Rewatchables: movie podcast with focus on cable. First episode will be on a few good men

Must be make good money on podcasts

The Ringer is essentially a podcast business, that's where they make their money.

jtb

Banned
thank god they finally got rid of Medium. I don't like how black the website is (isn't their color green?), the contrast is a little too sharp. but I'm sure they'll play around with it. at least it's readable now.

ryseing

Website re-design is live, and an article explaining the changes https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/8/16110940/ringer-vox-media-new-publishing-platform

I don't like it as much as the older one, it seems too cluttered now. Also, the estimated reading time feature is gone

The /latest page is gone as well. Not a fan whatsoever. I know it was basically forced on them since Medium is going away from consumer focused web design, but I've never particularly liked the Vox platform.

... Goddammit Bill.

There's fanboyism and then there's this shit.

beat

Yeah it's completely lost the visual identity it had at Medium. Just looks like every other site now.

I guess it definitely looks more Vox-y now, but the old Ringer looked very much like any Medium site. Dunno about front pages, but with the articles themselves, they always looked exactly like the Medium brand style. IMO it was never a good idea to look exactly like every other Medium-hosted site; it gives away part of the brand to the CMS.

Nameless

Hahaha seriously. I rarely skip BS podcasts but there's no way I'm listening to a two hour Bill/Brady tandem handjob.

bigkrev

It's not helping that they are doing a whole week of Patriots mastubatory articles the week they change platforms. I'm not going to the website till next week because of it.

I listen to almost all BS pods, but no way in hell I'm downloading that one.

---------

There's a short interview with Fennessey out about the redesign: link

I find it mildly amusing that they stick to the "it's all about the writing, podcasts and video are secondary" message when from a business perspective, Bill has admitted that The Ringer is basically a podcast network.

Quake1028

That podcast, Patriots week, all of these following Kevin Durant's dick being so far down Bill's throat he can hardly talk. He's becoming like some other show hosts, I'm slowly liking everyone else more. House of Carbs + NBA Show + T'd Up are all I really need, anyway.

Quixzlizx

It doesn't really make sense for your big website relaunch to feature content that will alienate 90% of your audience.

Maybe they're hoping for hate-reads/retweets.

Podcast network's not the same with no Zach Lowe or NBA After Dark.

I'll upvote the Vox redesign though. The Medium site was downright terrible and the interface of the comments section was the worst I've ever seen.

jtb

Banned
It doesn't really make sense for your big website relaunch to feature content that will alienate 90% of your audience.

Maybe they're hoping for hate-reads/retweets.

No different than of the other content they've been pumping out since they launched. The Ringer is proud of how irrelevant its weird, forced fetishes are.

Will be interesting to see how their traffic is on Vox. Medium was notoriously finicky with third-party impression stats, but even then, I find it very hard to believe that anyone was actually reading their content.

"Aggressively inessential" was how Deadspin put it iirc. Which I agree with (at least with their written content which is by and large complete garbage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom