• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Root: 'Hillary Is Not Your White Savior'

She would've done something. Something is better than accelerating in the opposite direction.

Even if she did nothing, it's a lot better than doing something in the opposite direction indeed.

these are some super interesting points to consider actually, thanks for sharing this OP.

it's totally true... is Hillary had won, we'd all just continue going on our merry ways [by us I mean us whiteys], pretending racism is "fading away" and/or gone.

at the very least, with Trump in power and all these closeted racists coming into the light, we are faced with the true size, shape, and colour of its modern day reality.

i can admit, personally, that i was pretty ignorant of how bad it still was - until the 2016 primaries started opening my mind, and then, well, you know, everything else since.

#foodforthought

#greatthread

edit: NOT saying it would be "just as bad" if she had won, not at all, just agreeing that we'd go on largely ignoring the true face of / reality of racism's presence in our society.

I wouldn't say it was only closeted. I'd say it was fueled by Trump too.

Simplet

People like the person who wrote this article imagine that they can "clean up" the country of racism and other social ills. You can't.

Now we have prejudice becoming the official face of the US and the latent "race-resentment" of a lot of people is being channeled into mainstream or semi-mainstream political movements. What have we gained? You're creating racial rifts into the country and pushing people to the extremes because they feel under siege.

Obviously Clinton or any democrat would not have "cured" racism in America, that's a preposterous benchmark. She would have enacted progressive policies to hopefully better the situation through time. You can blame her for not doing enough, and you can believe that it's better to make a big frontal assault on people's prejudices, but for it to be useful you have to win and win big. Not sure if that's going to happen.

I haven't met a single black person who thinks Clinton would be our savior. In fact most black folks I know will tell you in a heartbeat our "savior" can't be white period.

Yeah well if y'all had rallied around O'Malley we could have had a President untainted by crime bills from the 90s. Maybe.

The best option would be Bernie, or the party that's his ideological opposite.

Whew, Turnip stop hurtin 'em!

these are some super interesting points to consider actually, thanks for sharing this OP.

it's totally true... is Hillary had won, we'd all just continue going on our merry ways [by us I mean us whiteys], pretending racism is "fading away" and/or gone.

at the very least, with Trump in power and all these closeted racists coming into the light, we are faced with the true size, shape, and colour of its modern day reality.

i can admit, personally, that i was pretty ignorant of how bad it still was - until the 2016 primaries started opening my mind, and then, well, you know, everything else since.

#foodforthought

#greatthread

edit: NOT saying it would be "just as bad" if she had won, not at all, just agreeing that we'd go on largely ignoring the true face of / reality of racism's presence in our society.

like, you can't pop a zit unless it comes to the surface, or something like that.

That's flawed thinking. The nebulous concept of something getting worse to eventually get better is fantasy, period point blank. It's nonsense. An enlightened society does not go backward in order to go forward. We already litigated white supremacy and discrimination. We threw it in the garbage bin of history. Civilized society rejected it. We don't need to go back. Of course the world is not so simple that all discrimination and injustice was eradicated. There is no liberal savior that will erase social injustice. There is only small steps forward and imperfect increments of progress.

Hillary Clinton literally spoke to the injustice of our criminal justice system throughout the campaign. The other candidate spoke of law and order and stop and frisk. Frankly it's flat out ignorant to call out Clinton considering what this country is and how it works. The enemies of progress shouldn't be working progressives as easily as they are.

Top Bottom