• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sad truth about Steam Sales...

thefil

Oh no, the Steam sales now do far less manipulative nonsense to get you to buy games. And games, while still cheaper on PC, are recovering somewhat from their insane devaluation?

What a disaster.

Rymuth

All good points, OP. Might I suggest leaving Steam and trying Humble store/Humble Bundle. There's a lot more surprises/themes going on there.

MartyStu

1 Not really. If a game does well its less likely to be discounted. SF is probably a case of that.

2 Thank fucking god. I have a life and cant check Steam thrice a day for 10 days running hoping a game I want goes on sale. This is better. I can buy what I want without worrying about missing a better deal.

3 No I dont.

4 Never cared about that nonsense. Still dont.

I am in this boat.

The sales are fine. Other than possibly wanting even MORE lower prices, I am satisfied.

Oh no, the Steam sales now do far less manipulative nonsense to get you to buy games. And games, while still cheaper on PC, are recovering somewhat from their insane devaluation?

What a disaster.

Also very true.

breadtruck

Steam sales are no longer fun
Remember when publishers did Christmas special events? Remember you could craft items into games? Remember when you could use cards to trade for stuff? Remember Game specific Achievements during sales? Well its all gone now, Steam was way ahead of its time with this and it made the Steam sale into a mini game in itself. However over the past couple of years Steam has moved away from that to smaller events or just collecting badges which offer very little incentive to check the store every day.

I absolutely loved the Summer sale where you could trade in tickets or something for DLC items. Things like TF2 items and I think even a map pack or something.

Thanks to it, I have DLC for a game I dont even own. Haha! But it was the only sale I had fun with. Since the stupid stuff you were doing could actually be used to get something better than a profile background or chat icon.

hamchan

Somewhat for the best that Steam sales are a bit crappy nowadays, for me I guess.

Backlogs too long, there are more games than ever, and I have less time than I've ever had to play them all.

Though Valve themselves putting less effort into their sales by instead just defaulting into trading cards rather than doing something cool and special is a bummer.

Ban Puncher

I know it's a tired old meme to say 'This Steam Sale Sucks' but man this Steam Sale sucks.

I'm going to go spend my money on a big sandwich or something instead.

Paragon

I'll never understand how people can say that the existence of flash/daily sales were a bad thing.
If you are happy to pay the standard 50% deals that we're getting from the big publishers now, why did you ever care about the flash/daily sales to begin with?
You could have just ignored them and got the same deals they're giving us now.

If their removal had meant that we got the flash/daily prices for the full two weeks, that would be much better for consumers - but of course that's not what happened.
And it takes all of 30 seconds to check the latest deal on the mobile app. It's not some huge inconvenience.

All the best deals are outside of Steam now.
It's very rare that I buy anything directly from Steam any more.
The prices that some publishers now charge for games that at 10, 15, 20 years old - and often completely unsupported - is an absolute joke.

I think I might be even more upset that many indies are following in the big publishers' footsteps, starting at much higher prices and giving much weaker discounts than ever before.
You're charging $20 and are only going to offer a 30-40% discount?
Not happening. If that's what you're charging, I'll wait until it's a dollar in a Humble Bundle or not bother with it at all.

Budi

Stagnant discounts
It used to be that Steam would update games on a daily basis with new deals to cling you on day by day. Heck at one point deals would be updated every 8 hours -24/7. With Steam's new approach of showing all the deals its very easy to shift through everything in one day and just pick stuff you want and ignore all the rest. What I liked about the shorter deals was the impulse buy effect, these games were cheaper than the normal deals and gave people incentive to check every few hours or so.

You probably own everything already.
Another complication is that most of us have game libraries already in the hundreds or even thousands on Steam already, we are reaching a point in where we are becoming quite picky on what we buy and having to shift through the all the games that some guy has made in his bedroom that nobody really cares about. It is getting harder to find gems in the massive shovel-ware of indie and low budget titles and its going to get harder and harder to find games you want.

I mean I kinda enjoyed the thrill of checking new deals, but the bolded part makes too much sense. Those impulse buys just grew my backlog from games I still haven't played. Which also leads to owning everything already. I don't get the drama around these sales, they are cheap games not bought from gray market.

At some point, I don't think we should knock a corporation because they are finding success while using less aggressive sales techniques and not making the process have a satisfying, gambling like sensation.

That's really not a bad thing at all. I get the complaints about pricing, but I think the ones about how Valve has calmed down on all the tactics that made people feel mindlessly compelled to purchase product are misguided.
Exactly.

At some point, I don't think we should knock a corporation because they are finding success while using less aggressive sales techniques and not making the process have a satisfying, gambling like sensation.

That's really not a bad thing at all. I get the complaints about pricing, but I think the ones about how Valve has calmed down on all the tactics that made people feel mindlessly compelled to purchase product are misguided.

Since they introduced the static sales and hired the economists,steam sales have been terrible.

We can find better deals on other websites.

It doesn't bother me anymore. Looking back, there are some games that I impulse bought in many of those old sales with dailies and such, and that I only touched once and uninstalled, leaving me with a feeling of wasted money. Now that I know that the discount will remain the same through the whole sale I can weigh better what to buy and not feel any buyer's remorse later on.

Maybe I would have agreed in another sale last year and under different conditions, but just now I found several games on my wishlist, including AAA ones, that I may finally buy on this sale.

It's not as exciting, yeah, but it lets me plan my purchases much better. I do miss the meta games/events they used to do, but I think I would find them to be kind of a chore now. As I said, the way it has changed doesn't bother me now.

And regarding prices being better in console sales now... maybe in the States, not at all for my country. Steam added local currency pricing a couple of years ago, and most publishers have set extremely fair prices for their games (props to Ubisoft there, they are the best on that). Physical console prices are rarely (if ever) good, and even digital prices on both XBL and PSN have some kind of tax when you compare them to the digital prices in the US (Local PSN store uses US dollars, games cost 25% more anyway for some reason). When priced locally (XBL, physical stores), console games mostly base their prices on current exchange rate, while Steam's use a Valve recommended rate similar to one from 3 years ago (pre-oil price fall), meaning overall Steam games are on average 33% cheaper, always.

Let's not forget those users that are late comers to Steam and have a lot to look forward to, on all cases.

XOMTOR

They stopped this because people rightfully complained that they would miss sales because they were sleeping/working/in class/etc

Yet those things don't stop people from checking their Facebook feed 85 times a day. The Steam app made checking in 3 times a day a non-issue.

Budi

Yet those things don't stop people from checking their Facebook feed 85 times a day. The Steam app made checking in 3 times a day a non-issue.

Lol, you only check Facebook once a year when people congratulate you for your birthday and you are obligated to say thanks.

RSchmitz

There was some panel from Valve for devs some time ago that I remember them saying something along the lines of "price isn´t a differentiator anymore" or something like that.
That sucked.

Paragon

Looking back, there are some games that I impulse bought in many of those old sales with dailies and such, and that I only touched once and uninstalled, leaving me with a feeling of wasted money. Now that I know that the discount will remain the same through the whole sale I can weigh better what to buy and not feel any buyer's remorse later on.
Refunds solve this problem in a better way for consumers than eliminating good deals does.
Though I'm surprised that anyone would feel "compelled" to buy something just because it was in a flash/daily deal.

It's not as exciting, yeah, but it lets me plan my purchases much better.
Start using the wishlist feature.
Then your planning was already done months in advance of the sales.

SoulUnison

Banned
8 out of the 9 games on my wishlist are on sale but not a single one is a high enough discount for me to jump on it.

That's a problem.

It's my *wishlist* and I'm completely "meh" about it.

Yep sounds about right. I haven't bought a game from a steam sale in about a year and a half. Mostly because the crazy deals are gone and now I'm more picky that I have almost 500 games. Before I went by a $5 rule. If it was $5 and I even remotely liked the games profile pic is buy it, now I don't even do that.

I really miss when the sales felt like events. Games getting updated with specific achievements and playing to unlock them. It got me to check out games I might not have played to begin with.

Head.spawn

OP accurate as hell.

The sales aren't far off from whay you get on console sometimes and if you sub to XBL/PSN, sometimes you'll get them even lower or with rebates and they have them more often to boot.

I usually just use this time to load up on Rocksmith DLC for the most part these days.

aeolist

Banned
the sale metagames were never fun and i vastly prefer having all of the prices upfront instead of having to wait till the last day just to make sure nothing i buy is a daily

OP accurate as hell.

The sales aren't far off from whay you get on console sometimes and of you sub to XBL/PSN, sometimes you'll get them even lower or with rebates and they have them more often to boot.

I usually just use this time to load up on Rocksmith DLC for the most part these days.
Nah. Steam sales are still beating PSN and XBL sales by a long shot. Lower prices plus A LOT more games on sale.

sales on console (at least psn) are better but steam people wont believe you when you say that
Steam sales are better but console people won't believe you when you say that.

kiguel182

I wonder what the data is on the discounts. They seem less steep.

Like, Flinthook has 20 per cent discount when some years ago it might've been bigger. It's just anedoctal but they seem to be more conservative.

Hesh

I find it fascinating how games I wishlisted during my first Steam sale at the end of 2011 still have never hit the same price since then. I also wish I bit the bullet and splurged on all of those publisher sets Steam used to offer for ~$40-$100 because those were incredible deals.

Eh, it's not too bad. Defiantly not as many deep discounts, but still plenty of games with 50-60% discounts.

Personally I have plenty of games sitting in my backlog, so I only picked up some really cheap games like Song of the Deep (75% off) and some cheap RPG maker games.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
People say this after every steam sales for years, yet people still keep visiting them and bring the site down during the season

Coreda

There wasn't any risk/chance aspect to the sale rewards that I recall, was more akin to some amusement park/arcade.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This killed them for me. No point saving your $£€ for the Steam sales and splurging when other sites are selling games at same prices all year round

I'd like to learn more about these websites. I only know about green man and humble bundle. What else is there?

It's an old model. The new model is to give games away free to get people on your platform.

The super-secret new-new model is to get people to pay a subscription for an immediate library and rotate out their library without their choice. That way, you remove the threat of a large backlog from preventing a future purchase or continued engagement with the platforms and its new releases.

Steam is actually way behind on all this, having been distracted with hardware efforts and microtransaction gambling for a while.

The super secret new new model will fail because it is now attached to Nintendo, who has one of the worst and most complained about online infrastructures in the industry.

A part of me does want to see a steam plus service though, as an optional service of course.

Rathorial

There is truth to devs and publishers getting wiser to how they now more slowly mark down their games, and enough times it's because they don't want to devalue them. I'm pretty on board with that too, because the mobile market has already done devalued most games down to different free to play models.

I just don't really care about the loss of the event. Having to keep track of daily and flash sales might have some fun to it, but I'm fine sacrificing it knowing the prices are persistent across the whole sale, and I don't miss out on anything.

Also, Valve being ok with Steam keys getting distributed outside the store has allowed third party stores to out do them for years anyway, and more games are on sale more often than when Steam was just the only big place.

Atomski

Complaining about owning everything is weird.. shouldn't you be happy you can the game before a sale? And if not then stop buying games for a few years so the sale can be "fun" again..

Daouzin

1 Not really. If a game does well its less likely to be discounted. SF is probably a case of that.

2 Thank fucking god. I have a life and cant check Steam thrice a day for 10 days running hoping a game I want goes on sale. This is better. I can buy what I want without worrying about missing a better deal.

3 No I dont.

4 Never cared about that nonsense. Still dont.

Yup, on point.

Steam was always a pain for me in the "golden age." Now when a sale goes live I can happily check it today, tomorrow or the next day and not miss anything.

It also feels less manipulative.

Didn't they announce that their sales do better every year. So despite all this complaining, this method is working better for them. I could be wrong on this, but I feel like someone always pulls out the info in this type of thread.

I'd like to learn more about these websites. I only know about green man and humble bundle. What else is there?

isthereanydeal.com keeps track of the majority of 3rd party sellers.

I use it, but I still only ever buy from GMG, Humble, Steam, GOG, and Bundle Stars mostly because I don't want to make another account for these 3rd party sites, just to get a slightly better deal.

When you basically haven't bought any PC games in the past two years due to being busy making a game (and broke) and now your game is out and in its first Steam seasonal sale, things get a lot more fun. I have nearly a hundred games in my wishlist and almost everything is on sale and it's fun picking through them to decide what (if anything) to buy.

As far as the discounts go, unless you know that a high discount will get you attention, it makes more sense to do a decent discount for the seasonal sales because EVERYTHING is on sale so it's harder to get noticed. Save your high discounts for when you're more likely to get noticed (ideally, a featured daily/weekly deal). Like with us, we only discounted our game by 20% but it's also a game that's only been out for 2 months and 20% off is tied for the highest discount to-date so there's no need to discount it more steeply now. And based on what I'm seeing for today's revenue, I think 20% was the right call.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

It must suck to live such a busy life where you cant even spare a minute or two to check sales every 8 hours.

Forward

I was really looking forward to seeing what they were going to price Nier Automata at.

Now I'm prepared to wait another year if needs be.

dani_dc

As far as the discounts go, unless you know that a high discount will get you attention, it makes more sense to do a decent discount for the seasonal sales because EVERYTHING is on sale so it's harder to get noticed. Save your high discounts for when you're more likely to get noticed (ideally, a featured daily/weekly deal). Like with us, we only discounted our game by 20% but it's also a game that's only been out for 2 months and 20% off is tied for the highest discount to-date so there's no need to discount it more steeply now. And based on what I'm seeing for today's revenue, I think 20% was the right call.

This is the negative of no daily sales.
Those sales gave developers, especially indie developers, an incentive to allow for deeper cuts in exchange for the visibility of being part of a daily deal.

With those gone, the game will get lost and your audience are those that are already interested in the game. Better save the steeper discount for a daily/weekly sale.

Estoc

Realising that it was impulse buy that got me so excited back then... Ah well, I enjoyed it.

To be honest, I don't think things are as bad. As people have mentioned, not having to check every so and so hour, made it easier for those who can't do that. The same applies to those minigames, though I greatly enjoyed them during my uni years... Oh the amount of unfinished projects, how did I pass...?

The current Steam Sales style is easier on the wallet as well, without impulse buy dailies and having to buy games to take part in those mini games, so I personally see it as a positive.

Just like their game development, Valve is on cruise control when it comes to making their Steam Sales events fun and mean something special. Nowadays, you can go to third party sites and buy Steam keys for a lot less than on the Steam store. Also...

They stopped this because people rightfully complained that they would miss sales because they were sleeping/working/in class/etc

lawls you actually believe that? Refunds were introduced just around the time so they stopped the daily and flash deals. Valve just used what you said as a fluff piece.

AlexBasch

Can't remember the last time I bought something on Steam.

Yeah, I rarely play PC games anymore but fuck, I didn't even have a videocard and I was buying stuff in there, it was fun.

When you basically haven't bought any PC games in the past two years due to being busy making a game (and broke) and now your game is out and in its first Steam seasonal sale, things get a lot more fun. I have nearly a hundred games in my wishlist and almost everything is on sale and it's fun picking through them to decide what (if anything) to buy.

I'm one of your purchases today. And I'll tell you why. For me, when CSH came out, I was tight on cash. Finally had a bit to spend last week and put it in my Steam Wallet. Now, I had no problem buying CSH at full price and I wanted to. But I was left with the conundrum. Buy at full price (totally worth it) and have less for the sale coming soon.. or wait for the sale and possibly have my money stretch a bit more.

And I see that as a bit of the downside to the Steam seasonal sales. They could totally mess with a Devs sales numbers as well as RoI depending on how close they lie to an upcoming sale. Seems rough.

Top Bottom