• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

mj1108

Jackson said:
Some scores will be dropping this week on magazines. I know a few of em, I'm very happy with the results. :D

But I'll let them announce themselves.

Can you tell us which mags you know?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
SirPenguin said:
We got out first review already, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It's from the Canadian version of G4 on a show called "Reviews on the Run"

http://g4tv.ca/

Click the "Reviews on the Run". It'll be the September 4th episode.

7.0 and 7.5

Now, the reason I'm unsure of it is that their review does not really match up with the score. Like, they spent about 3 minutes explaining the game, saying how it does a great job at what it's suppose to do, how much fun they had, etc. Then, for the last like 30 seconds they mention how the controls can be goofy and mess things up. People have definitely talked about the control issues before, but that was their only complaint and the game lost like 3 points because of it. Seems weird.

The only other thing was that I thought the game was still under review embargo. Guess it isn't?

Anyways, definitely not the best review and I'm kinda hoping they rated it lower due to the E3 hype. Control issues won't be a dealbreaker for me because I'm sure I'll just get used to them...but it could be a dealbreaker to a lot of people.

Games don't start out as a 10 and lose points for each fault. Reviews start neutral and points have to be *earned*. A game could have very little overtly wrong with it to point to in a review and still earn a 7/10.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Count me IN! :D I already paid off the game so all I'll have to do is stop by GameStop to just pick it up!

Nachkebia said:
Can not wait for 9/10 reviews!!!
Only if they mention the controls. If the controls are awkward I want to know to what extent, and I want to know that the game is 9/10 in spite of them. I don't want the whole issue to be glossed over.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
toythatkills said:
Only if they mention the controls. If the controls are awkward I want to know to what extent, and I want to know that the game is 9/10 in spite of them. I don't want the whole issue to be glossed over.

It is completely touch-based with context-based choices, which means that there will be a learning curve to them no matter what. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if you are disappointed to find that as many reviews don't spend that much time talking about them, as so much else about the game stands out.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I've been anticipating this since it first reveled back shy one year ago, and now with a week away, I still hasn't struck me that the game is this close to being in my hands. I'm going to be in for quite an awakening once I do have it.

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
Games don't start out as a 10 and lose points for each fault. Reviews start neutral and points have to be *earned*. A game could have very little overtly wrong with it to point to in a review and still earn a 7/10.
Well hopefully once they have the actual review copy instead of a preview, maybe it will earn another point or so. :p

I'll continue with my pessimistic predictions, since everyone's enjoying them: I'll probably get the game, and then like every other single-player game in the last year or so, I'll get stuck on a puzzle or bored after 15 minutes and stick my three copies in a bookcase, never to be played again!

I might end up wearing the rooster hat while I play TF2 though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard, you're so pessimistic you ought to change your handle to something cold and deadly and unpleasant, like a snowstorm or something.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nah, Blizzard's right. The backlash against this game is going to be huge, mostly by people who enjoy tearing anything apart if they can.

GDJustin said:

Honestly, this is something that could be debated forever. No one agrees about ratings, not even among multiple journalists for the same publication. The system most places seem to follow is rating the game 10 to begin with then docking points for faults. 10 means "No problems" whereas 0 means "All problems", and the game rating falls somewhere inbetween.

Anyways, not like it matters. RotR admitted they were wrong and will be re-reviewing it, so I guess we'll see where it goes.

So! One week from today. The last week is always the hardest, I guess, but we'll never have another Tuesday without Scribblenauts*

*Unless you live in Europe**
**or Australia***
***sorry dudes :(

Blizzard

Banned
Hawkian said:
Blizzard, you're so pessimistic you ought to change your handle to something cold and deadly and unpleasant, like a snowstorm or something.
:p Eh, I'm sure Jackson still loves me. Every game needs a fan (note my avatar) who tries to keep the hype to a realistic level. It can only help the overall experience. :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
SirPenguin said:
Honestly, this is something that could be debated forever. No one agrees about ratings, not even among multiple journalists for the same publication. The system most places seem to follow is rating the game 10 to begin with then docking points for faults. 10 means "No problems" whereas 0 means "All problems", and the game rating falls somewhere inbetween.

I have never met anyone that reviews games starting out at 10/10 then removing points for faults.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:
:p Eh, I'm sure Jackson still loves me. Every game needs a fan (note my avatar) who tries to keep the hype to a realistic level. It can only help the overall experience. :D

Actually, I'm betting the only thing that can help the overall experience for the developer is the game selling lots and lots and lots of copies.

But, I take your point. To be honest, I don't think I've ever had unrealistic expectations for the game. Some people seem quick to latch onto a game and imagine that it will be the only game they ever need to play to be happy for the rest of their lives, but I'm not one of them. However, when something interests me and I do a lot of research and remain interested, I'm rarely disappointed when I actually get my hands on it.

For an idea of what I'm talking about, think of the video
of the level where you need to knock over the bottles. The person playing spawns a crate, and I'm thinking... wtf. Then another crate. W... tf. Then a fucking BATTLESHIP, which, raised atop the crates, fires forward and knocks the bottles down, winning the level.
I never would have thought of that, but now I know it would work if I tried it.

Maybe the novelty of that kind of thing will wear off, but I doubt it'll do so faster than that of any other games I've enjoyed recently, and I have a feeling it might last quite a bit longer.

GDJustin said:
I have never met anyone that reviews games

Tragically, I could end the sentence there and it would still be true for me.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This game will keep me entertained for a while, I hope. Can't wait to see the crazy shit they've put in there.

GDJustin said:
I have never met anyone that reviews games starting out at 10/10 then removing points for faults.

No one starts with any score. You don't start with a "10" and deduct points for faults, or start with a "5" and add or subtract as necessary. You weigh the positives and negatives about the game afterwards and assign an appropriate score to your overall impression.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jackson said:
....no human being will ever be able to play the game in its entirety, they'll die. You'll die before you can experience everything in Scribblenauts because it takes so long. In your lifetime it's not going to happen.

I SHALL DEFY YOU TO THE GRAVE, GOOD SIR!

Huy

Neo Member
That was quite a great wee article! Can you say anything about UK magazines, Jackson? A games rag I usually purchase tends to bag things pretty early, especially DS games that are yet to be released in the UK for quite a while. Just wond'rin' ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I caught up with a friend of mine whom I had not seen in about 2.5 years. His computer is so old it doesn’t run any modern games, only has a Wii because his ex girlfriend bought it for him, and only recently bought a DSi. Loves gaming, but due to work, school, and life really has bought very, very few games over the last few years and hardly has the time to play them.

He has Scribblenauts pre-ordered.

This game is one of the reasons I bought a ds recently.... its SO close cant fucking wait any longer im robbing my gamestop tonight.

Mike M

Nick N
I had been giving serious consideration to buying this for my 10 year old nephew, but then I spent a few hours this weekend stomping him in Super Smash Brothers only for him to think that since his character was on the screen where the winner was declared, he must have won. I think this game might be a bit beyond him now...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually, that was a great interview. Many props to the kid. So many interviews from "reputable" gaming sites follow exactly the same formula and you see Jeremiah just switch on the autopilot. He actually had something to say and some intriguing questions.

atvurc.jpg

Incredible picture take from the (official?) 5TH Cell Twitter page. Very similar to Edison Yan's art featured in the OP

Speaking of official, don't forget to follow the official Facebook page and the official YouTube channel. They're constantly updating.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Every piece of art inspired by this game defeats every other piece of art inspired by other games in mortal combat.

mr.saturn

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
Someone at Something Awful tried an idea similar to the cannon/sheep/etc. idea. Blizzard seems to be right.
Alright, well, the way Scribblenauts is, I'm sure I'll be able to figure out something for all my flaming sheep launching needs.

Perhaps catapult? Assuming it doesn't already have some kind of boulder in it or something along those lines...

Cyndar

Neo Member
*Reads interview.*

Okay, it's official.

Jackson, I will be working for 5th Cell. It won't be today. It won't be for another two years due to those stupid legal constraints. But it is inevitable. Even if I have to kill another employee to make it happen. I have C++ and OpenGL experience. I have an open and creative mind. It will happen. I will make it happen.

mbnmac

Neo Member
I've got this pre-ordered so my nephew can wear the chicken hat!

My wife demanded that I pre-order this game for her too >.>

Blizzard

Banned
mr.saturn said:
Alright, well, the way Scribblenauts is, I'm sure I'll be able to figure out something for all my flaming sheep launching needs.

Perhaps catapult? Assuming it doesn't already have some kind of boulder in it or something along those lines...
I already crushed that dream too! A catapault can't launch cats, I'm nearly certain someone tried it. If you use a seesaw or other physics method to do it, though, it might be possible. :D

mr.saturn

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
I already crushed that dream too! A catapault can't launch cats, I'm nearly certain someone tried it. If you use a seesaw or other physics method to do it, though, it might be possible. :D
SirPenguin said someone was able to make seesaw and launch Maxwell, just not very high. So, I guess that's a back-up plan :p.

mbnmac

Neo Member
mr.saturn said:
SirPenguin said someone was able to make seesaw and launch Maxwell, just not very high. So, I guess that's a back-up plan :p.
What about building your own catapult?
big log, long stick, something on one end, drop something else on the other

Might work?

mr.saturn

Neo Member
mbnmac said:
What about building your own catapult?
big log, long stick, something on one end, drop something else on the other

Might work?
I'd assume if building a seesaw would work, this would too.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Join us from 11AM - 2PM for an exclusive launch party celebrating the debut of the already acclaimed Scribblenauts!
Nintendo World will be the only place that fans can purchase Scribblenauts (while supplies last) before its official launch on September 15.
The event will feature an autograph signing with the Scribblenauts creators, fun and informative game demos, exclusive premium item giveaways and many more fun activities!

DO WANT

I don't really use my DS often and wasn't planning on getting this at all, until I saw the preview on X-Play a few weeks ago that showed a dingo eating a baby.

I pre-ordered it last night.

Cyndar said:
*Reads interview.*

Okay, it's official.

Jackson, I will be working for 5th Cell. It won't be today. It won't be for another two years due to those stupid legal constraints. But it is inevitable. Even if I have to kill another employee to make it happen. I have C++ and OpenGL experience. I have an open and creative mind. It will happen. I will make it happen.

Man, same here. I'm a senior undergrad working my way towards a bachelors in Computer Science. It's been my dream to work in the game industry, and I had already made plans for moving to Washington after school in order to pursue said dream. It's a happy coincidence 5TH Cell is located there.

zagman505

Neo Member
Oh jeez I'm not the only one that wants to work at 5th Cell in the future? I'm at a severe disadvantage, I haven't yet learned to program haha. I am seriously looking at game design as a potential future career, I'll see how that works out.

Less than one week! Can't wait can't wait can't wait.

I was finally able to catch up to that Q&A session Jackson posted. Wow, that was an incredibly good read. Most interviews tend to stick close to the formulaic "Explain yourself, your game, read some bullet points as features, thanks for your time" format. This kid really jumped in and asked some really great questions.

I also love how he transcribed the interview quite literally, as it contains a lot of spoken nuances in pauses, interrupts, etc.

Great read, the kid did an AMAZING job. 15 years old? Fuck, man!

Top Bottom