• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sewer stage theme from the PS2 era game "Summoner" is one of the greatest gaming sins I've ever encountered in my life.

Nickolaidas

Note: This is a personal rant of mine about something that made me scratch my head for years now. If you don't care, I don't give a fuck. Click on another topic and move on.

Listen to this theme.

No, seriously. Listen to it.

It is one of the most amazing themes in terms of atmosphere that I've ever heard in video games. It's dark, it foreshadows the vastness of the universe, it could be used for a game's arch-villain remembering why he did what he did, it could about you realizing the truth about the mysteries of the cosmos, with the gods of creation, with the abyss of knowledge, but no.

It's used - I shit you not - on the game's fucking sewer level.

What the hell.

To quote James Rolfe, "What were they thinking?"

Why use such an amazing music theme on something so trivial and uninsteresting? Why use it on something which is so shallow and superficial? This is the literal definition of 'what a waste'.

For years I've been listening to this clip any time I want to feel a feeling of ascension and awe, of discovery with brooding combined.

And every time I remember it's about two characters walking in sewage and filth, I shake my head until I feel it'll dislocate from my shoulders.

EDIT: For some reason, the link doesn't work.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Need another link pal:

iQ60ev0.png

Kuranghi

Yeah its pretty cool, could use it as an alternative soundtrack for this clip to inspire existential fear instead of wonder:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Definitely a great track. I kinda feel similarly about this midi track from FF7:

It's not as epic, but always somehow managed to convey a lot of emotion for me.

I'm actually super excited to hear other tracks people will post! Thanks for sharing Nickolaidas Nickolaidas !

Top Bottom