• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill thread.

I just finished 3. It felt like much more of a chore than 1 and 2, but perhaps that is because of the fact that I played 1 and 2 first, and 3 tank control games in a row is a bit much. I don't really like the game very much, so I'll just leave it at that. I do like the normal ending, though, it is a nice bit of resolution. I also like Heather as a main character.

MacReady13

Just finished silent hill 2, coming in hit after finishing silent hill 1.

Silent hill 1 was great, but 2 surpasses it. The story of silent hill 1 is pretty cool and mysterious until it turns into muh occult ritual stuff, which doesn't do it for me and makes me feel cringey on the inside. Especially since I've spent a good portion of my life as an occultist, lol. That being said, I absolutely adore the vibes and scenery. The setting is the best part of it all. I wish the extra good ending was canon because I like the character you save in the extra good ending. The snowy fog in particularly is comfy as hell. I liked silent hill 1 a lot and found it to be comfy, which I dont think was the intention but, oh well. I played it twice in a row, in order to get the best ending. I'll probably go back and play it again in a year or so.

2, however, and it's more "internal" take on things is a masterpiece. I can't think of anything across any medium that has replicated what 2 did. I came into sh2 knowing the big reveal, but had an absolutely wonderful time regardless. I don't want to go back and play through it again as much as 1, but it is surely going to stick with me for a long, long time. As I've gotten older, I've stopped.caring as much about stories in Vidya because, well, most vidya writers are shit and there are more than enough good books to satisfy all story needs. SH2 is something super special though and stands as a testament to the mediums storytelling potential.

The combat in both games is meh and tbh I felt like a demigod after the first dungeon in each - I was so loaded on ammo I could blast my way through everything, so long as I just ran past enemies in the overworld. Neither of the games were scary in that regard. The enemies in sh1 were particularly funny, since for the most part they all only come up to Harry's knees or thighs.

Sh2 has much more unnerving enemies but, still, I was able to blast my way through the game on normal without worrying about supplies or ammo. I think the mannequins were my favorite, thoguh they were by far the least threatening enemy in the game mechanically

Sh3 definitely is doing ammo and enemies a bit better, if we are looking at it from an anxiety standpoint. The supplies are much more limited and enemies are much harder to dodge. Coming from sh1 and 2, it makes me kind of nervous but mostly annoyed to be honest, because I kind of liked the chill pace of gameplay in 1 and 2. The monsters are more threatening mechanically but the designs of them are - so far - much less intimidating than in 2. I'm not super huge on the lack of overworld in 3 but I'll get over that. Ill write more about 3 when I finish it.

All in all, 1 is a pretty good and comfy PS1 game, 2 is masterpiece that hasn't been surpasses IMHO, and I'm still playing 3
I bang on so much about Gameplay over story, but there has only ever been 1 truly brilliant game with a story worth playing all the way through, and that was Silent Hill 2. Mind you, when I 1st played it on PS2 I was slightly disappointed as it was not as scary or creepy as the original (which I love almost as much as part 2).
Delving deep into the story and the psychology of this game though just shows how genius the devs truly were at mind fucking you (the player) at every aspect of the game- be it the character designs, the imagery or the sounds. Combined it all made for one of the greatest games I've ever played. Team Silent were fucking brilliant.

I bang on so much about Gameplay over story, but there has only ever been 1 truly brilliant game with a story worth playing all the way through, and that was Silent Hill 2. Mind you, when I 1st played it on PS2 I was slightly disappointed as it was not as scary or creepy as the original (which I love almost as much as part 2).
Delving deep into the story and the psychology of this game though just shows how genius the devs truly were at mind fucking you (the player) at every aspect of the game- be it the character designs, the imagery or the sounds. Combined it all made for one of the greatest games I've ever played. Team Silent were fucking brilliant.
Honestly, I think Siilent Hill 4 and Shattered Memories have better story telling. I know people get hung up on the brilliance of the visual metaphors, but the actual plot for Silent Hill 2 is kind of bad.

Last edited:
1 year since SH2 Remake announcement and we didn't get a single update. I really hate what video-game marketing turned into the last few years.
I am also left wondering if Silent Hill Townfall is vaporware? When all those titles were announced it felt like Christmas Eve. Yet on Chrismas Day I feel as if I have woken up to find coal in place of presents.

I am also left wondering if Silent Hill Townfall is vaporware? When all those titles were announced it felt like Christmas Eve. Yet on Chrismas Day I feel as if I have woken up to find coal in place of presents.

Dude, to be honest I fear for every game announced at that event. Fear for their quality and even if they will even see the light of day.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

MacReady13

Wow! God I hope they do this game justice. It's only one of my top 10 games of all fucking time. Capcom did it with Resident Evil 4 so SURELY this can be done with Silent Hill 2...!

My expectations are firmly in check for this.

Konami. Bloober Team.

These do not inspire a huge amount of confidence.

Likelihood is this will end up being a 6 or 7 out of ten, and will completely fail to retain the original‘s design aesthetic, narrative, and character.
Agreed, thoguh if anyone in the current gaming sphere is capable on a catastrophic fuck up of nigh incomprehensible proportions, it's modern Konami.

I'm thankful it's not a pachinko game, though

Silent Hill 2 remake to feature Pyramid Head origin story?
Screenshot-20231104-120329-2.png

Hopefully its something Masahiro Ito came up with 100%.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
make sure to grab a plunger because they’re going to clog the drain

Silent Hill 2 is a classic, so they shouldn’t mess that up. They’ve got source material. The rest I’m unsure of. So far the Ascension app isn’t doing it any good. I’d be shocked if that’s around in a couple years. The main big game F could be good. I prefer the Japanese development of Silent Hill over anything else. I wanna bet it’s either Short Message is good and f is a big let down or Short Message sucks and f is average.

What’s crazy is I never said tank controls during the PS1 and PS2 RE and SH days. It’s become almost a slur about the genre.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's a happy coincidence that this thread was bumped. I was listening to a podcast about the Silent Hill movies the other day, and it's given me an urge to play the games again. I played through 1 and 2 when I was younger, but unusually for me I barely remember any of either. I decided to check GAF before I started playing, and this thread was here.

I'm about to start 1, then after I'm going into 2 Enhanced Edition. Then it's onto 3, which I've heard good things about but haven't played for myself. I'm not sure how many playthroughs of each I'll be doing, because similar to RE games I love getting unlockables. I vaguely remember some sort of laser gun, and of course the ridiculous hidden ending to 2. No idea how to get either of them these days.

Edit:
Looked up the unlockables and extras for 1, and I was definitely thinking of the UFO ending. I don't remember much if anything about 2! Even better.

Last edited:

Jesb

I really hope the remake is successful and more remakes come. I’m actually never fully played through the first game. My mind is a blur on 4 I can’t remember much of it but I really enjoyed 2 and 3.

Shin-Ra

Even the players patient enough to figure out the locker code, I doubt they’ll bother to pass the next chase sequence.

Top Bottom