• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Nice OT. I hope this turns out surprisingly good. Will probably take over a year though, so I'll try and hold off buying it until then.

I've owned all The Sims games from the beginning and I've got all of the expansions for #2 and most for #3 as myself and my GF like to play now and then.

But no way am I going near this one. It seems like it's half the game of 2 and nowhere near what 3 is.

Unless you're uninformed, I really don't know why you would buy this.

Necrovex

I remember being so hyped for this game during the summer (even more depressing that my hype took a 180 turn within the same season of having said hype!). Sticking to The Sims 3 then.

Paskil

OK, so I didn't realize they had pared down so many features. I mean, wow. This is ridiculous. It still looks really good to me though and I'm going to have a hard time holding off to buy it. I can't play Sims 3 on my new PC because it gets really stuttery and problematic. I tried several fixes, but I wasn't able to get it to work. Besides that though, I played Sims 3 for hundreds of hours and was kind of done with it, anyway.

I'll probably still buy this when I can find it on sale, at some point. Blah, you suck EA. It's sad to see what Maxis has become.

KJRS_1993

I've owned every Sims game before this one and my fair share of expansion packs, and I think I'm giving this one a miss.
It sounds like way too much has been cut, and that this game needed a delay of at least another 6-12 months. I'm not paying full price for these features spread out over numerous expansion packs either.

Maybe when the base game and numerous expansions are heavily discounted I'll try it, but this is a no buy from me right now.

Imouto

Banned
As much as I hate the game for everything it doesn't have, that's one awesome looking OT you have there.

Still doesn't enough to make me want to commit my purchase, though :p. Until they have a "definite edition" or whatever that includes every missing thing with proper price.

dwells

Wow, thanks for the informative thread.

I'd heard about some controversy, but I guess I assumed it was people making a big deal about a few things here or there. Clearly that's not the case, and they've cut out some major gameplay elements. A lot of cuts are just mind-boggling, like teens and seniors being exactly the same size and same animations as adults. Have there been any sort of statements about all the cut features?

I used to be a huge Sims fan and had been looking forward to this game as a way to get back into the franchise, but I think I'll just be reinstalling The Sims 3 instead now.

Looks like they released recommended specs:

REQUIRED: Internet connection required for product activation.
PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster
AMD Athlon X4
MEMORY: 4GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: At least 9 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
DVD-ROM: DVD ROM drive required for installation only
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible
INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse

Also they are doing what looks like a week of live play sessions on Twitch starting today.

I've owned all The Sims games from the beginning and I've got all of the expansions for #2 and most for #3 as myself and my GF like to play now and then.

But no way am I going near this one. It seems like it's half the game of 2 and nowhere near what 3 is.

Unless you're uninformed, I really don't know why you would buy this.

I preordered this a year ago. :\

Krakn3Dfx

nope.gif

Will wait on reviews, but I don't have a lot of expectation for this game to be anything but a train wreck at launch.

LkPr

Regardless of how bad this sounds I had to get it for the wife. On the plus side, this will keep her occupied while Destiny consumes me

IcyEyes

Pre-ordered during the E3 sales. I think I will bring back to the nearest Best Buy and this is my first time I'm bringing a game back.
I had big hopes for this game, now I'm disappointed from anything we know so far.

Anyway, nice OT and well, I hope the content of this game will be so good to make me change my mind.

McNum

Looks like they released recommended specs
Thank you! Added to the OP.

By far, the most depressing op for a game OT thread on GAF.
Try writing the bloody thing. So much hype for the game a year ago, and look at it. It's like Quake without a shotgun, railgun OR a rocket launcher. And I've been a Sims fan since the original, too.

I was tempted to drop it, let someone else handle this one, but no. To quote another EA tragedy: "Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."
Officer McNum, you are authorized to kick my arse if I buy this game near launch
Understood Commander. Will do.

nope.gif

Will wait on reviews, but I don't have a lot of expectation for this game to be anything but a train wreck at launch.
Yeah, good or bad, at least the fallout from this game will be quite amusing to watch. No online community does drama better than the Sims communities. And if the core players begin to freak out... well... Hell hath no fury like a Sims player scorned.

So much lost... I don't think my wife knows, I don't think I'll tell her. She preordered the game last month... On the plus side with best buy's gamer's club thing and the $10 certificate offer the game is only coming out to be a little over 30 with tax...

RP912

Banned
Jeez even the OT is depressing to read for this game :/. They suppose to be streaming The Sims 4 today on twitch through Aug 29th around 12pm PDT. So we could have a better judgement on how the game will actually play and look.

McNum

I didn't know they removed so much.

That is so creepy.
Well at least they also removed ghosts so you won't have to worry about being haunted. By Sims who burned to death, listening to the wail of their Fire Alarm, calling for a fire department that doesn't exist.

You could make a fair amusing dystopia setting out of this game, really.

PseudoViper

gawd dayum!

There's more stuff removed than added.

That entire list is DLC ready. I really want this game, but I refuse to support it as its current state. Maybe next time, maybe next time...

inky

EA has denied access to The Sims 4 to game reviewers ahead of the release, so expect either rushed or delayed reviews on September 2nd at the earliest.

Reviews will be added as they appear.

LOL, That much confidence heh...

Good job OP. I've shat on this game too much already so I will stop now. I tried the CAS demo and it was alright. Will post some pics of my most popular ones in a bit. Still not getting this game, obviously. Fuck EA.

McNum

LOL, That much confidence heh...

Good job OP. I've shat on this game too much already so I will stop now. I tried the CAS demo and it was alright. Will post some pics of my most popular ones in a bit. Still not getting this game, obviously. Fuck EA.
Yeah... THAT much confidence.

I was thinking, since Create-a-Sim supports hashtags if we should come up with a common one for Gaf created Sims. Like #GafSim or something. Just so we can find eachothers' Sims easier. I mean, Create-a-Sim is free, and looks to be the best part of the game, really, so we might as well share some good Sims. Or crimes against nature. Or Bish. Or sub-community mascots, if we have any.

For the people here daring to try the game out, despite the warnings here.

They're probably going to get a lot of the people who are already Sims fan regardless, but it seems like this is a huge missed opportunity to reach a new audience and bring people who have nostalgia for the old games back into the fold. But when you don't include stuff that was in The Sims 1? Inexcusable.

Davey Cakes

Great OT.

Not supporting the game, though. Can't let them get away with this.
Maybe it'll be a case of "beauty in simplicity." They're just trying to simplify things.

Imagine if the content that's actually there is good, even if it seems sparse.

It's funny how the Sims and Sims 2 were refreshing and genuinely awesome experiences (particularly vanilla Sims 2 for me) and the series has only been questionable ever since. Even with the expansions I've heard Sims 3 is iffy.

It'd be kind of cool to get excited for another Sims game but it's hard to trust EA, I guess. Not sure how much blame can be put in Maxis, too.

Is there any way to just purchase the definitive version of Sims 2? Maybe I can try to relive that experience.

McNum

Maybe it'll be a case of "beauty in simplicity." They're just trying to simplify things.

Imagine if the content that's actually there is good, even if it seems sparse.

It's funny how the Sims and Sims 2 were refreshing and generally awesome experiences (particularly the vanilla version of Sims 2 for me) and the series has only been questionable ever since. Even with the expansions I've heard Sims 3 is iffy.

It'd be kind of cool to get excited for another Sims game but it's hard to trust EA, I guess. Not sure how much blame can be put in Maxis, too.

Is there any way to just purchase the definitive version of Sims 2? Maybe I can try to relive that experience.
Aw, man. You missed out.

EA was giving away, for free (yes, really!), the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection which was ALL of Sims 2, all expansions, and all Stuff Packs in one pre-patched convenient installation on Origin. But that offer is gone now, and EA has ceased support for The Sims 2, so it'll be hard to get any kind of compilation from them now.

Linkark07

Banned
Gotta wait those reviews. Although, even if they are good, most likely gonna pass.

Loved Sims 3 since I'm not confined to one lot at the time, but since Sims 4 is removing that feature, gotta pass.

Love the thread title. When I first started hearing about the omissions, I didn't care that much (Toddlers and pools? Eh.) and I thought that new stuff like the emotion system would be enough to make up for it... but the drastically barebones nature of the game is just beyond the pale. No repomen, firefighters or burglars was probably the breaking point. I may pick this up at some point in the distant future, if I can find it for 90% off.

Vuze

Awesome OT!

I have to say, after I had hundreds of hours of fun in Sims 2, I was disappointed by Sims 3 and my hopes for Sims 4 aren't high at all...
I will follow the reviews and general player feedback but I might just download Sims 2 Ultimate instead which EA was so kind to give-away lately ^_^

Davey Cakes

Aw, man. You missed out.

EA was giving away, for free (yes, really!), the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection which was ALL of Sims 2, all expansions, and all Stuff Packs in one pre-patched convenient installation on Origin. But that offer is gone now, and EA has ceased support for The Sims 2, so it'll be hard to get any kind of compilation from them now.
Well if I had to sign up for Origin I probably wouldn't have wanted to do it anyway.

Very clean and pretty OT.

Unfortunately the "removed features" list is way too big for me to justify jumping in right now. Think I'll stick with Sims 3.

Pre-ordered during the E3 sales, can't wait to bring back to the nearest Best Buy and this is my first time I will bring a game back.

LOL. I, too, pre-ordered The Sims 4 during Best Buy's E3 sale. I tried to be judicious about the three games I lumped together in the name of saving 30%, but ended up ordering Civilization: Beyond Earth and Sunset Overdrive alongside it.

I'm adopting a wait and see approach, but suspect I may be visiting the return counter as well.

Nice OP, but would it be possible to include the full list of careers that are believed to be in the game:

• Entertainer: Musician/Comedian
  • Writer: Author/Journalist
  • Painter: Master of the Real/Patron of the Arts
  • Secret Agent: Diamond Agent/Villain
  • Criminal: Boss/Oracle
  • Astronomer: Space Ranger/Smuggler
  • Culinary: Chef/Mixologist
  • Tech Guru: eSport Gamer/Start-up Entrepreneur.

Jesus, I wasn't following this very closely but that "What's NOT in the Sims 4" section is a fucking mess. How could they remove so much stuff? Basic stuff even. I can't imagine the amount of people that will pick this up without knowing this and then just start asking questions when playing.

IcyEyes

LOL. I, too, pre-ordered The Sims 4 during Best Buy's E3 sale. I tried to be judicious about the three games I lumped together in the name of saving 30%, but ended up ordering Civilization: Beyond Earth and Sunset Overdrive alongside it.

I'm adopting a wait and see approach, but suspect I may be visiting the return counter as well.

Nice OP, but would it be possible to include the full list of careers that are believed to be in the game:

• Entertainer: Musician/Comedian
  • Writer: Author/Journalist
  • Painter: Master of the Real/Patron of the Arts
  • Secret Agent: Diamond Agent/Villain
  • Criminal: Boss/Oracle
  • Astronomer: Space Ranger/Smuggler
  • Culinary: Chef/Mixologist
  • Tech Guru: eSport Gamer/Start-up Entrepreneur.

It's funny because I edited my post just to be less "aggressive" and I hint the idea to adopt your same approach (wait and see).

starsky

Great job OP, very informative and nicely put together.

I will wait a few years before I buy this game. It's a shame really, as I've been playing The Sims 2 everyday for a couple of weeks now. Ah well, I'll be here lurking for more reviews and news.

Well I'll just skip this and buy the expansion packs for Sims 3 I'm still missing and then mod the shit out of it, which is basically all I wanted for The Sims 4, a perfected Sims 3.

Top Bottom