• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

UrbanRats

We don't know whether the game will be crap or not (it's looking like pretty bad though).

ijTuj3muFG0Ft.jpg

:p

I feel bad for the devs of this game because I bet they would delay this game at least another year to be able to put all these missing features in. Or at least try. It makes no sense from the developer's standpoint to release a title that will obviously get bad reputation.

Frankly, we just need to see how well they will treat the next SimCity, to get an idea of whether or not The Sims is forever doomed.

McNum

People here really want professional reviewers to review this game? Really?

Like their opinion ever mattered to this series.
Yes. We do. Think about what that means.

Actually, I'd settle for a review by someone we can be reasonably sure isn't paid off by or under contract to EA to gloss over the bad points of the game and/or attack people who point out flaws.

So, yeah. I actually do want to hear what IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer and all the other professional review sites have to say. Because we certainly can't trust any of the fansites. Especially those belonging to "Yibsims". That is, EA shills called somethings else to make it sound cute. Well, I suppose Mod the Sims and Honeywell Sims have proven themselves to not be Yibs already.

Tabby

Yes. We do. Think about what that means.

Actually, I'd settle for a review by someone we can be reasonably sure isn't paid off by or under contract to EA to gloss over the bad points of the game and/or attack people who point out flaws.

So, yeah. I actually do want to hear what IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer and all the other professional review sites have to say. Because we certainly can't trust any of the fansites. Especially those belonging to "Yibsims". That is, EA shills called somethings else to make it sound cute. Well, I suppose Mod the Sims and Honeywell Sims have proven themselves to not be Yibs already.

That's funny because I'm the exact opposite.
I don't care what professional reviewers have to say about the game because they're probably not as interested in the series as fansites.
Like they won't know why Sims fans like the game and what matters most to them.
With that all said though the only reviewer that matters when you're on about Sims games, at least for me, is LGR.

Is that really a thing? That seems super shady.
EA paying off fansites to give positive reviews.

RP912

Banned
Got burned not once but twice (Spore & Simcity5)

I'm not gonna repeat the mistake here.

BTW can't wait for the LGR review

Same here. He was pissed by the fact of how there was no create a style and how there were no different colors for the clothes in the create a sim demo.

JLeack

Banned
I don't know why some stuff like pools were removed, but I can see why the open world was removed. Frankly, I spent about 1 to 2 hours per day in The Sims 3 just moving around the city. It was a waste of time, although it provided a sense of adventure I suppose.

DarkFlow

Banned
My GF who is maybe one of the biggest sims fans alive, this is pretty much all she plays everyday is already turned off by this game. She thought the demo was kinda lame, and is pissed about the missing stuff.

DMiz

Amazing OP. More effort was likely put into it than the development features for the game itself...

Reading the controversy from start to finish just makes me shake my head at this game. While it's great to know that there are going to be mod tools, it's likely going to take a few years before the 'need-to-have' ones come out... which is precisely when I plan to evaluate if purchasing this game is really going to be worth the money.

Internet gold, right there.

MrBigBoy

Call me weird, but I'm buying this game when it's out in Europe. 2 reasons:

1. I like the Sims.
2. For some reason I find it amuzing to play games that get alot of negativity. I just like to play the end result of major f*ckups.

Bless my wallet, maybe I should just throw 60 euros in the trash can.

Call me weird, but I'm buying this game when it's out in Europe. 2 reasons:

1. I like the Sims.
2. For some reason I find it amuzing to play games that get alot of negativity. I just like to play the end result of major f*ckups.

Bless my wallet, maybe I should just throw 60 euros in the trash can.

I can understand your point of view actually. I've bought a handful of games I knew were supposed to be awful for the sole purpose of seeing how bad it can be. I tend to wait until they're dirt cheap though rather than shell out full price.

Almighty

Oh well. The Sims 3 was like this as well.

Some of the fans angry at some of the changes at launch, fans get it anyway, game gets more content as they release more content patches/expansions and then no one complains anymore because the game has been out several years and it has a bunch of content.

There is some truth to that, but I am not comparing launch Sims 4 to what Sims 3 was able to pull off with years of expansions. It just that based on that cut feature list vanilla Sims 4 seems to have less then vanilla Sims 3 did and maybe even vanilla Sims 2 as well. Which for me is very disappointing. My friend just told me that she was planing to get it so if her impressions are very positive I might reevaluate things.

DedValve

Banned
Oh well. The Sims 3 was like this as well.

Some of the fans angry at some of the changes at launch, fans get it anyway, game gets more content as they release more content patches/expansions and then no one complains anymore because the game has been out several years and it has a bunch of content.

If you took the Time to read the op you'd see that certain features, such as seamless open world, create a style or no loading screens can't be added in. Ts3 got a lot of complaints and it was warranted but that was mostly do do with dumbing down the game, not stripping away core features.

Lnds500

/rant mode on

Wow... what the actual f***?

Is this the laziest AAA sequel ever or what? What is this, a port from iOS?

I was sad when I saw the thread and I realised that I couldn't play the game (graphic card problems) but man, now I am just pissed.

I am not touching this piece of trash unless EA fixes it completely (in 1 year, no question). The omissions are so great and game-changing (literally!) that it's not even worth considering ΙΜΟ.

/rant mode off

Well this sure fill me with confidence in the upcoming game.

Fansites receive advance copies of The Sims 4 while reviewers don't.

So what this boils down to, essentially, is that that you cannot trust anything said by a fansite about The Sims 4 as it's unclear who has special access and what the terms of that access may be.

Extra special fun. That thread is on the official The Sims forum, and it's anti-stickied. Meaning no matter when the last post is made, it will never rise to the front page. Didn't know that was a thing. Also, it seems very underhanded. Ah well... Streisand Effect, I choose you!

Jeez... I've never even heard of anti-sticked. EA's game plan is rather odd indeed. I too would like to see the Streisand Effect in action... though it might be drowned out by the loud shouting of the Yibsims that you mentioned.

This quote seems relevant:
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

If EA's lacks so much confidence in The Sims 4 that they're willing to do everything they've done, why didn't they just delay the game? I can't imagine that it's going to perform well given its lacklustre state. Is it unreasonable to think that it might even have potential to damage the franchise?

Jeez... I've never even heard of anti-sticked. EA's game plan is rather odd indeed. I too would like to see the Streisand Effect in action... though it might be drowned out by the loud shouting of the Yibsims that you mentioned.

This quote seems relevant:

If EA's lacks so much confidence in The Sims 4 that they're willing to do everything they've done, why didn't they just delay the game? I can't imagine that it's going to perform well given its lacklustre state. Is it unreasonable to think that it might even have potential to damage the franchise?

It's clear EA does not care. Just look at what they did with Simcity.

Imouto

Banned

Just another dead franchise to them. They could make the new one, like Titanfall's case.

Drazgul

Can't fix what is inherently broken with a simple delay. That rumor about it originally being designed as an online-centric game that was then scrapped and repurposed as a single-player Sims game sounds pretty logical to me.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

They didn't delay SimCity. It still sold well.

Loads of people who are low information buyers will still buy Sims 4. It might damage the franchise. SimCity damaged the franchise, but EA don't give a shit. I doubt they give a shit about Sims 4, too, and are just looking at the short term profits.

Lucifon

Can't fix what is inherently broken with a simple delay. That rumor about it originally being designed as an online-centric game that was then scrapped and repurposed as a single-player Sims game sounds pretty logical to me.

So if this game really does end up being as bad as people seem to be predicting, then can we just pin all the blame on SimCity?

Believe it's just over 2 hours until you'll be able to unlock it using a Korean VPN. I'm still waiting on my code from cdkeys.com :(

So if this game really does end up being as bad as people seem to be predicting, then can we just pin all the blame on SimCity?

Believe it's just over 2 hours until you'll be able to unlock it using a Korean VPN. I'm still waiting on my code from cdkeys.com :(

they wrote on facebook we should get the keys on or before 8PM (GMT) today.

sueil

I cannot wait for the train wreck that is this game. Sad to see a series dear to my heart likely get destroyed like this. Been a fan of the Sims since it was first announced, Sim series in general since the original 2d black and white Sim City. However EA did this to themselves.

What's this, thinking the game is shit =/= game features missing makes the game shit

Imo, the game is shit because it's missing alot. The game itself isn't shit because it's not like we know at this moment if the game is a glitchy mess full of bugs. I'm not buying it for the sole purpose that a lot of the features that were apart of the original base game is cut out completely to possibly be added as a expansion pack to milk more money. The idea that it's hated because it Sims and it's the game that I have to buy now because everyone hates it does not apply here.

I could understand a whole new franchise and buying it to make your own opinion, but this is not even on the same parallel.

deeTyrant

It really is a shame that so many staple and interesting features are getting cut from this game.

I was mentioning some of the stuff that won't be in the game to my younger sister (who has been a fan since playing the console ports, before transitioning to the PC games) and was not expecting her to look nearly as upset as she immediately did. Tried to cheer her up by mentioning some of the new things but she didn't seem particularly convinced.

I'm going to definitely take a wait and see approach on this one. I'd like to say that a new game shouldn't be beholden to the features of its predecessor but in this case it seems like less of an attempt to take the series in a new direction and more like an attempt to make as many reductions as possible without completely undermining the franchise.

I'm interested to see how open and versatile the mod support will be. If modders can re-engineer the game from a core systems level than the game will be far more interesting from a tinkering perspective.

Well this sure fill me with confidence in the upcoming game.

Fansites receive advance copies of The Sims 4 while reviewers don't.

So what this boils down to, essentially, is that that you cannot trust anything said by a fansite about The Sims 4 as it's unclear who has special access and what the terms of that access may be.

Extra special fun. That thread is on the official The Sims forum, and it's anti-stickied. Meaning no matter when the last post is made, it will never rise to the front page. Didn't know that was a thing. Also, it seems very underhanded. Ah well... Streisand Effect, I choose you!

/insert joke about no differences between fan sites and review sites

Bleh, I've only been following the Sims 4 a little bit, and there's way more missing features then even I was aware of.

I love the Sims games; but I cannot in good consciousness purchase the game at this state. I just can't believe EA is so greedy (I guess I'm naive), but the Sims series is one of their guaranteed sellers so I don't know why they're risking it by doing less then the bare minimum.

Zafir

They didn't delay SimCity. It still sold well.

Loads of people who are low information buyers will still buy Sims 4. It might damage the franchise. SimCity damaged the franchise, but EA don't give a shit. I doubt they give a shit about Sims 4, too, and are just looking at the short term profits.
If that was the case, they would never have patched the online only in Sim City. I mean it took a long time, but it shows they did see the massive backlash. Same with the idea that they scrapped the online only for Sims 4 because of it. They wouldn't have done either of those if they didn't care and only wanted short term profit. They may have their own misguided ideals for their games, but they aren't immune to backlash and I'm pretty sure they realise that.

McNum

I actually went out and cancelled my preorder today. I'll probably get the game on Origin, but man... that preorder was a year old. Back when I was all hyped and hopeful that this would be the best game ever and I'd give it the best |OT| ever as it would rightfully deserve!

One year later and "The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!" Puts things into perspective.

I hope to hear from some of you people who'll get it tomorrow, I still have to wonder if I'll order it on Origin or not. Well, I probably will, but just the basic Limited edition. Save some money that way.

Foshy

game is already released here. i dont know if i should buy it though
Would you even be able to play it? I remember I got Titanfall PC retail a few days early, but couldn't play before Origin unlocked it on release day. Not sure if that was specific to Titanfall or all EA games that require Origin do this

Zafir

Would you even be able to play it? I remember I got Titanfall PC retail a few days early, but couldn't play before Origin unlocked it on release day. Not sure if that was specific to Titanfall or all EA games that require Origin do this
You'd probably be able to play it via VPN permitting it's been released somewhere in the world. Asia for example it may have unlocked. I remember everyone was using Korean VPNs to play Titanfall early.

kudoboi

no i meant it is already released here on origin. all EA games always release first in Asia. if i bought it now i can already play it

McNum

And with the game officially out in Asia, we now have our Day 1 patch notes!

The Sims patch notes are really a beautiful thing some times. Proof that someone at EA does have an odd sense of humor.
The Reaper still loves ya baby, he is just too busy to go on a date with every lovelorn Sim that vies for his attention.

Also fun, crash bugs related to babies being left in the family inventory. Yes, you can put babies in the inventory now. Weird.

Top Bottom