• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 5 Likely to be Free-To-Play But Full of Microtransactions

Draugoth

Gold Member
the-sims-5-free.jpg

Recently, a fair chunk of information has been made available regarding the ongoing development of The Sims 5. It has been almost a decade since the release of The Sims 4, and while fans are perfectly happy with that latest instalment in this legendary franchise, there’s always the desire to see what’s coming next.

On Twitter, one eagle-eyed user stumbled across a job listing for a ‘Head of Monetization & Marketplace’ on ‘Project Rene’, which is the interchangeable name for The Sims 5. In this listing, it was stated quite clearly that The Sims 5 will be ‘free-to-enter’, boasting a ‘free and paid’ in-game marketplace and paid-for content – which is essentially the model that The Sims 4 is working with as we speak.

In the job listing, it was stated that the successful applicant would:

Own pricing of all content in this free-to-enter game, ensuring we have an optimal pricing and content architecture.
There was a reference made to fostering a ‘nimble live service culture’ and the need to ‘maximize long-term revenue’ by analysing spending habits and tracking purchases, and so on.

Source

Three

Last edited:
If they released all the content for "free" but supported it with microtransactions then I wouldn't mind. The reason I never really got into The Sims was because there were so many expansions (if I counted correctly 14 expansions and 12 game packs). Give everyone the content and sell in game shit to support it. Or even do a season pass/subscription.

GTA Online supports itself with Shark Cards and games like Fortnite have passes. Everyone gets the same content but you can choose if you want to spend money on it. If you want to play for free you can but if you want to drop $1,000 you can.

Last edited:

Helghan

I don't mind F2P games as long as everyone gets the same experience without having to pay money. If we want a different brick style, or clothes, sure charge something, but the game mechanics should be open and available to all.

Bridges

I see this as a good thing really. The way Sims games are monetized they should be free to play. So many features are already locked behind overpriced expansions, plus they nickel and dime for the "stuff packs" for extra shirts and whatnot. The vanilla package of 4 especially is really bare. It's like $20+ just to add seasons and weather.

Let's be real.

Nobody on NeoGAF plays Sims 4.
Speak for yourself, I love The Sims.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
No game had more predatory monetization than the Sims since it's launch. The amount of expansion sold with at absurd prices is a staple of the series. You could have released the first game that way and don't change one thing on monetization and still look way more predatory than the norm.

If you have any kind of decent playtime on a sims game and you are over the age of 13. You should most likely be put on some kind of government register/watchlist.

SHA

No game had more predatory monetization than the Sims since it's launch. The amount of expansion sold with at absurd prices is a staple of the series. You could have released the first game that way and don't change one thing on monetization and still look way more predatory than the norm.
Feminists literally spend more time on creating characters than using them, can't get along with this, not in a million years.

Drew1440

Hevern't played much since the original Sims/Sims 2 games but will be interested in what new features they will bring (or cut, Sims 4 launched without pools or toddlers, the former featured in the original base game).

I don't mind F2P games as long as everyone gets the same experience without having to pay money. If we want a different brick style, or clothes, sure charge something, but the game mechanics should be open and available to all.
I don't even mind if it is P2W at some point. I mean if any portion is free how am I supposed to be entitled to anything more? Just because I played a demo does not mean I should have a right for the actual game. Many F2P are way more than demos, and are only open to all so that their customer bases are not divided and some content lacks than necessary gamers, which could kill the game sooner than gifting it to all those which never pay anything and allowing it the life support it needs to generate those micro sales.
Would I like Trackmania to allow me to enter the tracks of the days, sure, but since I didn't pay a cent so far, I only can enter the actual free content which is still fun for many hours, enough to at least think about getting a year subscription to unlock the rest and do the associated trophies. Still cheaper than any former Trackmania was, except of course Nations which was entirely free with no option to even buy anything afair, so buying Forever afterwards was kinda necessary.

A game which is designed around F2P is certainly made in a different manner, but so were arcade games stealing your coins en masse. It's an option I don't have to support. Alternatives in that specific genre are rare, which is not ideal though. Shooter are having more variety in those regards.

Blendernaut

Neo Member
I still dont get what is the problem with free games with microtransactions. Seems to me that people feel "trendy" and cool when saying crap about microtransactions, but there is really nothing bad in it. I have never ever in my live payed for any microtransaction in my life, but I don't see them as a bad thing at all. :S

Last edited:

EDMIX

I think they'll be ok.

For the most part, Sim's historically has lived off of those expansions and Sim's 4 fully was able to bring back many gamers and bring in new consumers to a point I've never really seen with such an old IP, generally over time fans move on many copy cats come in and it just becomes a title lost to history or something, but they were going out swinging if they felt it would be the last one or something lol

Sim was sorta up and down after Sim's 1 and 4 ends up being the best selling and making over 1 billion for EA, so I feel....maybe this free to play thing makes sense and everyone gets the base game and it lives off expansions or something, but that generally was the formula they had going since Sim's 1.

Sim's 4 merely pulled it off far better and to almost an extreme.

predatory monetization

lolz, yea I don't know about all that bud.

You literally don't need to buy any of that shit, all of it is completely optional and the concept of "expansion" fits this IP more then most imho as its made to expand upon the idea of what the game is.

They want to do "predatory" things sooooooo much they fully allow and support mods?

The fuck?

just stop man lol

This whole "biG bAdz eA" is old and doesn't really have much substance, its like just repeating what some YouTuber with (shockface) Thumbnail says or Jason Scheirer lol

So for them to literally have a decade of support, allowing free mods by the community, ON TOP of expansions, I don't really know what one could really complain about, but rest assured...I'm sure someone will find something to be a victum of ala "da victumhood filez" lol

This is one of the few IP, I don't really have much of an issue being free to play and keep in mind, EA never fucking needed to even make it free, they could have charged $70, broke tons of records annnnnnnnd still fucking made expansions, I mean holy shit, Sim's 4 broke many of those records, made a billion plus for EA, BEFORE they put it as free to play, as in they fucking have an example where they can charge full price, put out expansions for 10 years on top of mtx and still likely make a killing, but shit, you'd probably complain about that too lol

Be like "WOW FULL PRICE and big badz eA still released evil Pediasure Monocalzonez mtx FORCING people at gun point to buy it"

surprised-pikachu.gif

Helghan

I don't even mind if it is P2W at some point. I mean if any portion is free how am I supposed to be entitled to anything more? Just because I played a demo does not mean I should have a right for the actual game. Many F2P are way more than demos, and are only open to all so that their customer bases are not divided and some content lacks than necessary gamers, which could kill the game sooner than gifting it to all those which never pay anything and allowing it the life support it needs to generate those micro sales.
Would I like Trackmania to allow me to enter the tracks of the days, sure, but since I didn't pay a cent so far, I only can enter the actual free content which is still fun for many hours, enough to at least think about getting a year subscription to unlock the rest and do the associated trophies. Still cheaper than any former Trackmania was, except of course Nations which was entirely free with no option to even buy anything afair, so buying Forever afterwards was kinda necessary.

A game which is designed around F2P is certainly made in a different manner, but so were arcade games stealing your coins en masse. It's an option I don't have to support. Alternatives in that specific genre are rare, which is not ideal though. Shooter are having more variety in those regards.
Sure, that's true, I just won't be playing it then. So I was only writing from my own perspective, and how I would like it to be. If it's actually P2W, I won't be playing it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The Sims is already chock-full of add-ons and MTX.

If you want all the additional content for the Sims 4, you're looking at spending almost £1000. That's not a typo either.

With that in mind, it's little wonder that EA want to squeeze more money out of Sims fans. They'll most likely be successful at it as well.

DaGwaphics

I used to goof around with these but 4 seemed to remove most of the challenge and variety from the game play. You can create the same scenarios with the same end results with every character, that ruins the fun of it.

I would like to see them create a lot of hidden traits/skills (kind of RPG like) that aren't directly within the players control. Instead these would get adjusted over time by the actions of the Sim with most activities having both positive and negative values. In this way you could create Sims that would react differently from each other in similar situations and you might not always be able to get the dialog option or the final result you are looking for. That would really help the replay value of the game for those that want to play out generations of Sims.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Considering the model they've had where you buy the game and still have to pay more for the bulk of the content it seems like they're at least dropping the facade and being honest about what The Sims 4 really was.

Madonis

Good for them, but I might well stay way. No need to jump into F2P microtransaction hell right now.

We'll always have Sims 3 and 4 in any case.

Last edited:

mopspear

When 4 was announced as F2P awhile ago, I told my friends that they could download it for free right then. Everyone was very confused that they weren't able to. Turns out I bought it a whole year before, never played it, and forgot. Plus it was about three days before it unlocked anyway.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Isn’t Sims 4 in the free to play section of Epic Game Store? No surprise really. There’s already a ton of extra content to these games as it is.

CuNi

Imagine spending on 10+ dlcs just to end up playing in the same place!, some people find that amount of money justifiable.

That describes every Paradox Interactive game, and yet here I sit… With every Stellaris DLC owned.

killatopak

I used to goof around with these but 4 seemed to remove most of the challenge and variety from the game play. You can create the same scenarios with the same end results with every character, that ruins the fun of it.

I would like to see them create a lot of hidden traits/skills (kind of RPG like) that aren't directly within the players control. Instead these would get adjusted over time by the actions of the Sim with most activities having both positive and negative values. In this way you could create Sims that would react differently from each other in similar situations and you might not always be able to get the dialog option or the final result you are looking for. That would really help the replay value of the game for those that want to play out generations of Sims.

Some of the latest updates did that with fears and wants. They are acquired randomly during your sim’s life. Like say while they’re cooking and had a fire accident. They may fear fire until you go talk to someone and overcome it like therapy.

killatopak

Paralives is an upcoming title in the genre worth keeping an eye on. It's going to eat EA's lunch with Steam Workshop support.

Saw this a while ago. Honestly never saw gameplay of it. I only saw the character creation which looked pretty good. I heard they even patented it because Sims 4 patented theirs and they could not use it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Honestly has anyone looked at the Sims over the years? The amount of expansions and minor dlc since the Sims 2 is insane, this series could do with a F2P model, asking you to buy the base game at the point is insulting.
F2P and free2enter are two different things.

One gives you all the content to play the other lures you in but expects you to buy the content as you go.

EDMIX

Sure, that's true, I just won't be playing it then. So I was only writing from my own perspective, and how I would like it to be. If it's actually P2W, I won't be playing it.

Well its not really a competitive game so I'm not sure how it can be P2W lol

I don't mind F2P games as long as everyone gets the same experience without having to pay money.

Well, that just can't be, one could argue ANY DLC and change some experience, but shit so could any mod or something.

So a F2P game where everyone gets the same thing without paying money, I have no clue what game could do this and work, I don't even know of any major title that is free, but also doesn't have any other DLC that changes the experience for a price or something.

What game has done that to even have this make any sense?

So, you could play this with mods or something and still not pay anything, but ironically you'll be having an experience very unique to the exact mods you put in, thus others won't have the same experience you did, but you'll also have that for free, you going to remove mods so you get the same experience everyone else does to be fair and not to break the law or? lol jk jk

DaGwaphics

Some of the latest updates did that with fears and wants. They are acquired randomly during your sim’s life. Like say while they’re cooking and had a fire accident. They may fear fire until you go talk to someone and overcome it like therapy.

That's good. I'd like to see them really double-down on those kind of things. Maybe the kid that spends every second studying and prepping to get that great start is dinged in the social interactions department, or in reverse maybe that constantly partying/playing bare minimums student has deficits in career advancement and skill building. Have things in there where parent sims that provide the bare minimum to those toddlers set them back a bit vs. them being nurtured.

It would be a lot more interesting in that respect to torture experiment with the characters that you create.

killatopak

That's good. I'd like to see them really double-down on those kind of things. Maybe the kid that spends every second studying and prepping to get that great start is dinged in the social interactions department, or in reverse maybe that constantly partying/playing bare minimums student has deficits in career advancement and skill building. Have things in there where parent sims that provide the bare minimum to those toddlers set them back a bit vs. them being nurtured.

It would be a lot more interesting in that respect to torture experiment with the characters that you create.
I think most of those are already in the base game and with the toddler expansions it just adds more. With the highschool expansion there’s even stuff like BO, shaving, and such. If you go too far and neglect kids, social services will take away your kid.

Top Bottom