• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 5 Likely to be Free-To-Play But Full of Microtransactions

DaGwaphics

I think most of those are already in the base game and with the toddler expansions it just adds more. With the highschool expansion there’s even stuff like BO, shaving, and such. If you go too far and neglect kids, social services will take away your kid.

The problem, in my experience with 4, is that the things you do not really have an impact on the scenarios that play out later on. At least not in a way that provides any depth or changes how the story plays out. I've never played 4 with all these expansions that they've released however. I think I just played it with Seasons and maybe the University one.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I think they'll be ok.

For the most part, Sim's historically has lived off of those expansions and Sim's 4 fully was able to bring back many gamers and bring in new consumers to a point I've never really seen with such an old IP, generally over time fans move on many copy cats come in and it just becomes a title lost to history or something, but they were going out swinging if they felt it would be the last one or something lol

Sim was sorta up and down after Sim's 1 and 4 ends up being the best selling and making over 1 billion for EA, so I feel....maybe this free to play thing makes sense and everyone gets the base game and it lives off expansions or something, but that generally was the formula they had going since Sim's 1.

Sim's 4 merely pulled it off far better and to almost an extreme.

lolz, yea I don't know about all that bud.

You literally don't need to buy any of that shit, all of it is completely optional and the concept of "expansion" fits this IP more then most imho as its made to expand upon the idea of what the game is.

They want to do "predatory" things sooooooo much they fully allow and support mods?

The fuck?

just stop man lol

This whole "biG bAdz eA" is old and doesn't really have much substance, its like just repeating what some YouTuber with (shockface) Thumbnail says or Jason Scheirer lol

So for them to literally have a decade of support, allowing free mods by the community, ON TOP of expansions, I don't really know what one could really complain about, but rest assured...I'm sure someone will find something to be a victum of ala "da victumhood filez" lol

This is one of the few IP, I don't really have much of an issue being free to play and keep in mind, EA never fucking needed to even make it free, they could have charged $70, broke tons of records annnnnnnnd still fucking made expansions, I mean holy shit, Sim's 4 broke many of those records, made a billion plus for EA, BEFORE they put it as free to play, as in they fucking have an example where they can charge full price, put out expansions for 10 years on top of mtx and still likely make a killing, but shit, you'd probably complain about that too lol

Be like "WOW FULL PRICE and big badz eA still released evil Pediasure Monocalzonez mtx FORCING people at gun point to buy it"

surprised-pikachu.gif
Lmao, are you really gonna use sims4 as example? Aka the Sims that cut features like toddlers that were included in previous version only to add later on expansions?

"Allow free mods" is a fucking feature now. EA, do you your worst and suck all those gamerz dry.

EDMIX

the Sims that cut features like toddlers

1. It was added for free by EA.

"Toddlers were not originally part of The Sims 4, but were added as a free update by Electronic Arts. To compensate for the toddler life stage, all Sims live a bit longer if aging is turned on."

2. Mods literally existed that had toddlers even before that update........for free.

EA, do you your worst and suck all those gamerz dry.

? mean, both fucking options for that are free though, the toddlers update was free, mod support has existed for every Sim's title...for free.

So its funny seeing this forced narrative with this "suck all those gamerz" when the very fucking feature you used as an example, is free.

So this merely sounds like you are crying to be the victim of literally nothing.....

Nice try though lol

Fbh

I mean if there's one franchise were it feels like a natural progression it's this.

The sims have basically been full of DLC and microtransactions before those terms even became a thing

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
For real, The Sims on Facebook was kinda nice. It was simple, with a lot of day to day stuff to do. If they do something close to it, they will achieve gold

It depends how much content it start with. Love the sims and sims 2. Didn’t try sims 3. Went to try sims 4 when it first come out. Just felt like it was so bare. Waited for a few years and, idk the dlc for it was so high and every time I look they wasn’t for sale. So I never really even try to play it. Felt like I had to drop extra 300 bucks to get enough content to wanting to play it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Seems like Sims was almost always like this with a gazillion "expansions" even though you paid for the base game before they tried f2p stuff.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M

1. It was added for free by EA.

"Toddlers were not originally part of The Sims 4, but were added as a free update by Electronic Arts. To compensate for the toddler life stage, all Sims live a bit longer if aging is turned on."

2. Mods literally existed that had toddlers even before that update........for free.

? mean, both fucking options for that are free though, the toddlers update was free, mod support has existed for every Sim's title...for free.

So its funny seeing this forced narrative with this "suck all those gamerz" when the very fucking feature you used as an example, is free.

So this merely sounds like you are crying to be the victim of literally nothing.....

Nice try though lol
Victim? The game is going free to play and I think it should have gone sooner. I'm not the one complaining of stuff in this thread.

JayK47

Makes sense considering what has become of Sims 3 and 4. And with recent updates to Sims 4, I really have no further interest in Sims. EA really ruined a great series. It is time for someone else to do better with the genre.

Dthomp

I mean, isn't this a step up from 4 where we had to buy it and then still pay to get everything after that? This just eliminates the initial cost :messenger_tears_of_joy:. God I hate modern gaming so much

Fuz

Banned
I see this as a good thing really. The way Sims games are monetized they should be free to play. So many features are already locked behind overpriced expansions, plus they nickel and dime for the "stuff packs" for extra shirts and whatnot. The vanilla package of 4 especially is really bare. It's like $20+ just to add seasons and weather.
Kind of irks me, but you're right. It already was a shitshow.
We can only hope they crash & burn.

Top Bottom