• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Socom Confrontation 1.5 Patch of hopefully making the game playable.

VNZ

Lagspike_exe said:
Maps are huge, much, much bigger than in CoD4.
Level design was always one of the highlights of any SOCOM game, and IMO, it's the same in this one.
Nice. As much as I love COD4, the average map size is way too small (and there's a few really really terrible ones in there, too).

LevityNYC

Banned
Nothing wrong with that. They want to play a ranked game with their buddies. Usually before they kick, you will be asked nicely to please switch sides. In a full room I've been politely asked to leave so they can get their last friend in the room.

Creating ranked rooms would fix this.

Theres lots of current and retired military people that play this game online.

Arsenic

lets wait for impressions for the next week or so. hopefully people spawning randomly doesnt happen. or invincibility

demolitio

Now we must impatiently wait for Vigilance, Nightstalker, Blizzard and the two new maps to come out. I can't wait to see what Nightstalker looks like with a snow setting.

TheSeks said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol What? Such as kicking you because you aren't part of their crappy clan and all the other players except you have died so they have to rage kick? Yeah, "good community" right there, dude.

:lol Pretty much. I enjoy the game but getting kicked for no good reason is very annoying.

Psykotik

demolitio said:
Now we must impatiently wait for Vigilance, Nightstalker, Blizzard and the two new maps to come out. I can't wait to see what Nightstalker looks like with a snow setting.

oh god. blizzard ALL OVER MY FACE PLEASE.

Nos_G

I played a few rounds and I can definitely say that the game performs a lot better.

The menus are a lot more responsive.

I only played 8v8 games though, so I'm not sure how much the 16v16 games have improved.

The fade in at round start is also quicker and I didn't get any weird glitches like loading mid-game and not spawning in the next round.

The buttons while 'spectating' fade out now, which is great since it doesn't block the action on screen.

M14 still rox & DE is a lot better now.

Overall, this was the patch a lot of Socom vets have been waiting for, but the game is still incomplete. Briefing room still only has custom games selection. Channels are still sort of sorted weird.

And a minor thing, that g'damn loading screen still needs to go. They need to inject some map info on their or something useful while it loads something up. Having some pic with a round loading icon in the middle is just a wasted opportunity.

Good progress so far slant 6, but this all should have been day 1 or at least within the release window of the game. 9 months already!!

Would have played more, but a certain caped crusader game just got released.

panda21

i agree that the community sucks. the whole clan elitism thing is just stupid.

if people do want to do the whole clan thing properly thats cool but i get the impression that 99% of people are just in a clan they made with randoms from the playstation.com boards because it makes them feel hardcore. but having a whole group of immature whining rage quitters in a clan just makes them worse.

maybe i'm missing it but there ought to be a quick play option to matchmake with people who are just wanting to play with randoms for fun instead of having to search through rooms of people trying to play in their precious clan being jerks.

LevityNYC

Banned
Im not in a clan and Im not having any issues with them, perhaps because I am semi proficient at the game. Occasionally you get asked to leave so they can fill up the room.

BTW, for anyone having a problem switching sides in the lobby. Press Select and then O and then the option to switch sides will be available. Its a bug, but its easily worked around.

LevityNYC

Banned
They also fixed a lot of the issues with being able to shoot out of windows and over ledges.

However, they still didn't fix the throwing your grenade with your left hand problem. You still can't throw a grenade while peaking left around a wall. Its really pretty stupid.

Is it just me or does everything seem faster, especially running?

Nos_G

I remember trying to snipe pre-patch in the balconies on Crossroads/Urban Wasteland, only to have my bullets hit the ledges and windows right in front of me or my have my char just lift his gun up because the barrel was gonna hit the wall/ledge/window. Now it seems a lot more lenient, it still does it, but that's just me getting too intimate with the particular surface.

I thought I was the only one as well, the game is performing a lot faster, even running.

Classic maps NAO!!!!

Violater

My only real gripes about this game seems that i will never change, the stupid ability to see around corners when u are right up against a wall.
The camera should change location after about say 2-3 seconds.
I cant tell you how many times I have just rolled a grenade around the corner and fragged someone waiting to jump out at me. :/

And not being able to join a friend in-game without having to hunt down the server and game is just unforgivable.

demolitio

LevityNYC said:
They need to release Foxhunt and Fishhook.

Rumors from ex-employees state that Sony hasn't renewed Slant Six's contract, so the DLC after 1.6 will be the end. So short of incredible sales on the first DLC, we might be out of luck. :(

LevityNYC

Banned
Violater said:
My only real gripes about this game seems that i will never change, the stupid ability to see around corners when u are right up against a wall.
I cant tell you how many times I have just rolled a grenade around the corner and fragged someone waiting to jump out at me. :/

And not being able to join a friend in-game without having to hunt down the server and game is just unforgivable.

It wouldn't be Socom without corner camping.

So I shouldn't bother trying to patch this game up? remember constantly getting kicked from games on the PSP Socom games online because I wasn't part of some clan or such. Rather not waste time updating if I'm just gonna constantly be jumping from game to game to find a match.

-x.Red.x-

BattleMonkey said:
So I shouldn't bother trying to patch this game up? remember constantly getting kicked from games on the PSP Socom games online because I wasn't part of some clan or such. Rather not waste time updating if I'm just gonna constantly be jumping from game to game to find a match.
do quick match, works wonders for lone wolfs.

demolitio

BattleMonkey said:

No, you should patch it up and try it. There are a lot of stupid clans out there, but you can still easily find a game to play in. Hell, I made a rule for my clan not to vote anyone out unless they're glitching or teamkilling. You can find rooms with nice people and the game will be enjoyable.

Doc Evils

demolitio said:
Rumors from ex-employees state that Sony hasn't renewed Slant Six's contract, so the DLC after 1.6 will be the end. So short of incredible sales on the first DLC, we might be out of luck. :(

Ouch.

Violater

demolitio said:

Can the game that's guaranteed sales yet greenlight the 256 player mess, yea that sounds about right for Sony :lol

Biff

demolitio said:

ChefRamsay said:
3. Saw the fear of God when chewed out by Sony execs for the shit they served at launch. Threatened somewhere along the lines of "If you ever want to work on another Sony game, you patch this shit until it's playable. Wipe yourself off, you're bleeeeeeding."

Oops. Guess 9 months late is kind of the cut-off point for developers now :p

Sucks.. They had potential.. They just needed way more manpower than they're used to - this ain't no PSP SOCOM game, and they found out the hard way :(

Violater said:

Dude thats just how Socom is! Wouldnt be Socom without peeka boo kills! Luckily ive always had a knack for em lol

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So I guess I have to jump back in huh? Btw is it still only 8 rounds? They should do 11 rounds like in SOCOM 2, 8 rounds is just not enough.

tuco11

Downloaded the patch and fired up the game forthe first time in 7 months... as the old saying goes "Cant shine a turd" .

LevityNYC

Banned
The big issue with the patch although it fixes pretty much everything, is that it really makes the lack of maps stand out. 7 maps? Really Slant 6? And one of those maps is Quarantine, which is terrible.

Socom 2 had 22 maps.

Arsenic

LevityNYC said:
The big issue with the patch although it fixes pretty much everything, is that it really makes the lack of maps stand out. 7 maps? Really Slant 6? And one of those maps is Quarantine, which is terrible.

Socom 2 had 22 maps.
25 maps if you add the DLC.

But yeah 22 maps right on the disc and a single player campaign. All made within 1 year (to be fair, 10 maps were classics.)

Slant Six takes a year to fix what was broken, and stil no DLC.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
They must have fixed the issue with lag for Americans playing in Aus servers, had a quick match with some friends and ran through a whole US clan, good stuff.

LevityNYC

Banned
You know what fucking pisses me off? I understand clans wanting to play with friends, but if I join a game late and theres 2 slots on their team open, its bullshit that I get teamkilled 10 seconds into a match and then get voted out.

Let us make ranked room so these gay ass clans can play by themselves. I am actually very good at this game now and could have helped the team out, but they'd rather play by themselves.

Top Bottom