• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nekketsu Kõha;252777237 said:
You label me a Trump supporter and now a hateful little toad without a single thing to back that up and me telling you I am not.

I am honestly tired of trying to act civil with you and your SJW kind and will simply end our conversation now by telling you to go fuck yourself and happy to see your dumbass gone.

Hopefully things will change for the better now. Time to talk games on NeoGAF the reason for why I signed up.
You used SJW... case in point.

Pluto

I'm not going to lie, this entire situation makes me a bit uneasy but I'm glad neogaf is back. There's so much good content here that I don't want to miss.

For the people who nuke their accounts, if you want to do that, do it. But PLEASE, no goatse.

The future of NeoGAF will be a return to what many of us have come here for, a place where we can gather together and enjoy our shared hobby of video games. For a short time, Off-Topic Discussion and Off-Topic Community will be closed so that we can rediscover that. We'll be starting with a clean slate when they come back.
Why a clean slate? Just close the political threads and let the others go on. I'm saying this for obviously selfish reasons but there's so much good content from tv and comic gaf etc., if I had to pick ONE thing to save, please let it be the reading order from the Transformers More than meets the eye comic book thread.

I really hope when off topic gets restored all the threads are still there just invisible to everyone but mods instead of deleted. That way thread access can be restored over time if it's too much to go through at once.

I've read most of the internet responses.
I am shocked about the reactions i've read. These few days have convinced me the world will never be a nice place. I've read countless of posts of people taking this opportunity to vent their personal "opinion" with very apparent and transparent reasons. It made me sick to my stomach. I sincerely hope people aren't as dumb as what i encountered. But like i said, i'm very pessimistic now. Extremely.
Hopefully people are less sadistic, less hateful, more nuanced and more openminded than what i concluded from the last couple of days.

I no longer wish to take part of the internet forum toxicity.
It will lead to depression at some point, i'm sure.

I want to thank a lot people on Neogaf who made this forum such a nice place to visit.
curious, openminded intelligent people who just wanted to share information and learn.
I know there are still a lot of good people out there.

To anyone who ever sexually assaulted or raped another person: i hope you get what you deserve. I can't imagine how you can live with yourself.

Peace.

Chariot

I didn't know that. Perhaps I'll check it out, though I still don't like the idea of having to chose which topics you want. There's a lot of things I've discovered on this forum that I'd never even think to look for on my own.
Well, if you want I can pick for you and you decide if you like it.

Try... /r/politics/, /r/worldnews, /r/games, /r/aww, /r/GameDeals, /r/TodayILearned and /r/europe for starters. You can of course expand on this or throw stuff out if you don't like it.

C4Lukins

So I am going to stick around a bit if allowed and watch how things turn out.

It is a little funny to me that this place became so super unaccepting of views outside of what seemed to be a very narrow window, and allegations towards the person who owns the site are the cause of this implosion.

I do believe in hearing everyone out, and civil discourse. And one of the main problems I have had with this forum is the the lack of civil discourse.

If you defend police officers, you get dog piled and shit posted into oblivion. If you defend micro transactions as a neccasary evil, you get dogpiled and shit posted in to keeping quiet.

It became ok to say police officers are cunts, conservative females are cunts, and so on. Complex issues, that at least deserved a civil discussion.

On a less personal level the video game side. Triple A developers once posted here. You had the opportunity to discuss video games with their creators. Tons of Indie to mid tier developers as well. That was pretty cool as a gamer to see and interact with.

Yes a few faces remained, but most left. And even the journalists from our favorite websites. The Jeff Green’s and such. The entire 1up crew for the most part were participating. Not to mention journalists from just about everywhere.

But segments of the community were always in attack mode. And shit posting was often allowed in these circumstances. I was not above it either, but my shit posts were typically more then a sentence long, and typically had some sort of point of view backed by at least a bit of commentary.

So yeah the last three years have been bad IMO, and neogaf was no longer a place I really wanted to be a part of as far as discussing just about anything. But it was still great for having tons of insiders, and particular members really being passionate about certain topics. It has always been great to just read through the gaming side topics on the front page and get a snapshot of all the video game news of the day.

I know that certain minorities or individuals with very specific interests found a home here, and supporters and friends who helped them through the dark moments and made the good times shine brighter.

This place has done a lot of good for some people, but also toxic to others.

I have no clue whether the accusations towards the owner are true or not. But I will not condemn nor support the people who run this place. I just wanted to put out my recent problems with neogaf, and the positives of it as well. I will reserve judgement at least for tonight.

Buffalo

Banned
Hating someone because they're racist is pretty different than hating someone because of their race.

I assume this is the point where you summon MLK like a pokemon and tell minorities that they need to be nice to individuals with terrible views like your example of the_donald because love and happiness or whatever?

Or will you summon Darryl Davis.

Your attempt to paint "both sides" as equal is pretty sad. But I'm not here to convince you, and you'll never convince me so *shrugs*

nah, no one should be nice to t_d, and I never implied they should. problem is a lot of people on here will associate anyone they disagree with to that ilk. good try tho

sirap

Glad to see GAF back. Might turn into a shit show like the rest of the internet without the original mods but I'm hoping it won't.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm going to keep this simple: If anyone thinks this forum was "far-left," you should probably step back and evaluate your political views.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
gotta love the dishonesty.

people hated it because anyone who was even an inch right of the widely-spread far-left beliefs there was purged. even those who were just as far-left as anyone else were banned over simple disagreements.

you can pretend that your beliefs put you in the right all day but they don't. OT was a mess, and while it's dumb to get rid of all that discussion period, it's for the better.

Categorically false.

I walked into every abortion thread relevant to my comments and declared my views on the subject (pro-life) and talked about my views on the topic. Never had anybody requesting my ban or a mod threatening me. Being pro-life on a "leftist" board like GAF should have resulted in a ban, but it never happened and never would.

The mods shockingly did not approve of hot takes, alt-right nonsense, gamergate, misogyny, bigotry, anti-lgbt,
racism, etc.

Support what you want as long as you don't venture into shitposting or have ideals that match you on mental par with a caveman and you would be fine.

woah dude, it's almost as if people could somehow have access to the site prior to creating an account... no way!

if you have anything of value to say, I'm all-ears pal

So you are telling me that you saw that it was a place where "anyone who was even an inch right of the widely-spread far-left beliefs there was purged. even those who were just as far-left as anyone else were banned over simple disagreements" and you thought to yourself, I gotta join that place...

DR2K

Banned
Honestly this whole situation is a mess. Hopefully the community can recover and move forward.

This witch hunt mob mentality is not the answer that is one thing I’m certain of.

NolbertoS

I'm not going to lie, this entire situation makes me a bit uneasy but I'm glad neogaf is back. There's so much good content here that I don't want to miss.

For the people who nuke their accounts, if you want to do that, do it. But PLEASE, no goatse.

Oh god, haven’t seen that in over 14 years, please nobody post that or lemon party

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'm going to keep this simple: If anyone thinks this forum was "far-left," you should probably step back and evaluate your political views.

Seriously. GAF is centrist as far as any self-respecting Western European country would go. Check out any topic discussing a heinous crime for dozens of "bury him under the prison" "shoot him in the head" "fry this bitch" etc. So leftist.

Phased

You're literally proving the point by posting this, along with the numerous comments here calling anyone suggesting it a trump/MAGA supporter.

Honestly this whole situation is a mess. Hopefully the community can recover and move forward.

This witch hunt mob mentality is not the answer that is one thing I’m certain of.

We should listen to racism, misogyny, and bigotry.

Yes.

That's the way forward.

Norse

Gaming discussion is now the new OT.

By removing OT you have ruined Gaming discussion. OT threads everywhere now. If it's not game related it shouldn't be in here.....right?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Seriously. GAF is centrist as far as any self-respecting Western European country would go. Check out any topic discussing a heinous crime for dozens of "bury him under the prison" "shoot him in the head" "fry this bitch" etc. So leftist.
I mean, the Overton window is pretty fucked right now.

Buffalo

Banned
So you are telling me that you saw that it was a place where "anyone who was even an inch right of the widely-spread far-left beliefs there was purged. even those who were just as far-left as anyone else were banned over simple disagreements" and you thought to yourself, I gotta join that place...

I joined to talk games. I know it's hard to believe but this forum is actually for gaming discussion first and anything else second.

phaeta

Hmm. At the end of the day, I think this is a good community. Certainly, it's better than most. Let's talk, be patient, avoid instant conclusions, and see what happens.

Man, what a total shitshow this turned out. That Kotaku article is scathing though.

Malka should have been more up front with this community. Dont let shit like that Amirox business fester. Just come out and speak to it, be honest and say it really fucking sucks.

The same case applies to this woman and her allegations. If Malka did do this shit and wanted to hit that, then he shouldnt come back now and say "she's mentally instable" because that just makes you look like a dick.

Just say yeah I tried to hit it, I misread the signals so yeah I fucked up. But thats it!

Just too bad all the communitys are fractured now and lots of old cool members have already left.
Yeah the "she's crazy" part of that statement was the worst part for sure

kirby_fox

Banned
I can't say I disagree that GAF was becoming more and more toxic as the days went on. This is not to say that this was one way or another, but our political discourse was butting heads constantly. You had people who had no desire to talk politics butting heads with those on the left and right, dissenters doing so for the sake of doing so, and an echo chamber that was becoming worse as days go on.

However, I feel the sudden implosion that we saw and are seeing and the responses are less than satisfactory and the more I read them, the more I feel this is no longer a home for many of us who were on the outskirts as is. It's true that I was using this more as a place for gaming news than I was a place of discussion, as the discussion had become more and more like the rest of the internet. What once I felt was a place without the constant bickering, became a place that was just constant bickering. It was what our political discourse in America especially is now: no one wants to listen to each other and see the rights and wrongs, they just want to be right no matter how wrong they actually are. It didn't matter if we were in politics in OT or in gaming arguing over whether a game was good or not.

As for the allegations, I will simply say that there is smoke and the response I feel was not enough water to deal with what is/was going on. As someone on the outskirts as is, it seems that the reaction of everything has more pushed me away than brought me back in. Nonetheless, I wish the best for everyone in gaming and life no matter where I wind up to discuss both.

AGoodODST

I’m glad to see GAF back. Hopefully the community sticks around as all of you make this a place worth being an unproductive bum in work.

Honestly, your adopting the use of "SJW" probably reveals a lot about yourself and your views.
Honestly.
I've never called someone the term "SJW" in my life, and I've generally been progressive on social issues even from when I was too young to really know what they were.
But after years online of condemning it's usage and avoiding terms generally associated with, in the past two weeks of Gaf usage I was finally tempted to use "SJW" (even though it makes me cringe still) and say people were "virtue signaling", amongst other things out of frustration.
I'm wondering what this says about my beliefs/politics, and what it says about myself, could you tell me, and list out how you could make these damming judgements of people from such a small sample of themselves?

oilvomer

Glad GAF is back, I don't know anyone or enough about the situation to form a judgement, I do think those committing account suicide will regret it, and more than likely be back.

I urge all of you to watch the Amanda Knox documentary, to see how a trial by media can affect people, I would also urge all of you to refocus on the important things in life to you, getting involved in internet outrage is simply not healthy. Your lives wont change if GAF is here or not. It is after all just an internet forum, real life is in front of you

takriel

I agree. However, I'm thinking more and more that we should also make an effort to open a dialogue with people of other political leanings and try to debate their views. After all, we are the moral authority, and we need to persuade other people to become more like us.

Undead Unicorn

Neo Member
You're literally proving the point by posting this, along with the numerous comments here calling anyone suggesting it a trump/MAGA supporter.

The people on here who don't realize SJW has only been appropriated by Pepe Frogs are totally nazis, and not people who aren't plugged into Harmon town or Chapo Trap House (though do, it's good) or other podcast with about 30k total users. Totally

Too many people confuse being socially conscious of others and being a 'leftist' these days.

Forums are nothing more than a microcosm of the larger political weather.

In America, being socially conscious of others is basically a "leftist" perspective, that's how far right the country is, and even further right conservative ideology, and given the main demographics of GAF are American it's not shocking to see the same ideology on being socially conscious of others being rejected here. After all it's being rejected in America currently under the delusional fear that the "others" are taking and ruining everything that made this country "great".

sephi22

Honestly.
I've never called someone the term "SJW" in my life, and I've generally been progressive on social issues even from when I was too young to really know what they were.
But after years online of condemning it's usage and avoiding terms generally associated with, in the past two weeks of Gaf usage I was finally tempted to use "SJW" (even though it makes me cringe still) and say people were "virtue signaling", amongst other things out of frustration.
I'm wondering what this says about my beliefs/politics, and what it says about myself, could you tell me, and list out how you could make these damming judgements of people from such a small sample of themselves?

I've got 6000 posts on GAF and I've been a member since 2011.
I like to use SJW unironically. Not frequently but I've been known to use it in the past. Not using it here and now because of the shitshow. But I do feel there are cases where it's valid and using it doesn't make you MRA/GG.

You gottah bring back the OT.

It actually helps people in a tangible way. So maybe see that over your butthurt being disagreed with.

Maybe change mod practice (I'm banned 4 times due to opinions). But OT is a good resource. For many.

I joined to talk games. I know it's hard to believe but this forum is actually for gaming discussion first and anything else second.

Let me get this straight, you have been a member for six months, two thirds of all your posts are in this thread, yet you joined to talk games...

Since that whole mess, lasting from Friday morning through Saturday, before we formally went offline for maintenance and repair and restructure, we've just been trying to figure out the best course of action for NeoGAF going forward. And as stories began being published by various outlets, I issued some comments to the press, since everything coming out was proving to be sensationalized, opportunist, and unprofessional.

We've all become increasingly stressed and weary this year in ways even I'm not accustomed to by now, and discussions on heated news, political issues, and social issues on the off-topic side of the site have become areas no one has wanted to moderate in the open for fear of backlash or just general exposure to the inevitable toxicity. I've gone in there myself to take the heat, since it's very much my responsibility to do so before anyone else's, but there's been little headway, mostly just more anger and resentment and a lot of bans. I don't think this necessarily reflects on our community; more so the tone of the entire internet this year with regards to heated issues.

Poor downplay effort. Lumping your own multiple sexual harassment controversies with the "heated news, political issues, and social issues" is just brilliant obscuring tatic. What better way to derail the conversation than to politicalizing the issue?

Yes, let's blame the toxicity of the community as if Neogaf has never been a site that thrives frome controversy and toxicity.

I think what I want to hear is how you could separate your sexual harassment scandal from this forum. Not dragging the whole forum into the controversy by blaming other people on this site.

Kamaji

Ban me please. I find it highly offensive that you restrict the entire forum because of your shattered ego. We both know that anonymous moderation and no political discussions isn't the result of the considerations you mentioned in the OP. You may own the Neogaf IP but there is no way you can speak for or represent the community.

Sorry, but in a forum where "innocent until proven guilty" lost any sense in front of hysterical witch hunts I just can't stand a double standard for the admin.
I loved my time in NeoGAF but these two days made me realize how toxic the atmosphere became here. I sure like the fact that this was a safe place but I don't think that living in a bubble helps with discussions.
Here the judgement was really easy: you're with us or against us. You're with us or you're a Trump, Gamergate, white supremacist supporter. I'm poilitcally aligned with NeoGAF but I hope you guys will make a change for the better. Those people can't win, yet they gain power when we act like them.
Good luck to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom