• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
"we’re running on ridiculously powerful hardware right now – I even upgraded again after the Sony conference stuff. We’re at, like 64 cores, 160 gigabytes of RAM and this fast, cloud-based array."

Hoolyyy shiitt, it's like a ps6!
It's not DDR5 RAM, so it's less powerful than a PS4

heringer

GAF isn't a pit.

It's a ladder.

60919-Captain-america-gif-i-understo-lmk3.gif

These pieces reek of jealousy. There's a reason why people--and the industry at large--come and post here in the numbers that they do, and not to your site(s).

In fairness, I wouldn't really say this. I mean, of course I wouldn't, I wrote it - but I'm a GAFer myself - as noted thoroughly in the article - and happy to admit so. I think this place is pretty bloody great. I name-check the fact that some don't like it with the 'pit' quote and stuff because it's important to acknowledge these points, especially in an article aimed at people who don't read GAF as much as people who do - but frankly, this article is the opposite of those early quotes - it's me chatting to Evilore as somebody who uses the site he owns, tackling some of the issues that others pull GAF up on at the same time.

It's also worth noting VG247 didn't commission this with a GAF shit-slinging article in mind. The first draft of this piece was finished before I even pitched it to them. Really. No jealousy here, on anyone's part.

Sorral

There is always someone calling Amir0x something somewhere in the comments section. Can anyone give us the story behind that please? lol

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
VG247 made the worlds most hilariously dead on starcraft 2: heart of the swarm review I have ever seen. They're good folks and this article is great.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm not one for posting Umad.jpg, but all the devs and pubs that hates us, hate is because of how awesome we are. So.... Umad.jpg

Perfect example: Dyack.

I can't wait to see the GT GAF documentary.

There is always someone called Amir0x something somewhere in the comments section. Can anyone give us the story behind that please? lol

At his height, one of the quickest mods to ban. I think dragona might be up there too, but from what i hear she wouldnt engage and argue with members as much as Amir0x.

Basically you was on very thin ice as a Junior if Amir0x stepped in the thread. Even the most innocent comment could get you a perma, if he decided to argue with you.

There are alot of salty ex-juniors out there who got their account nuked by him. Thats why you cant do an article on NeoGaf without someone bring him up and insulting him.

Gay insults aside, the bile thrown towards him is somewhat justfied, especially since his numerous character defects have come to light in recent times. Dude doesnt post all that much nowadays and I think thats for the best,both for him and the forum.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Haven't had a chance to read the article, but what's with all the Dance Central talk? I don't actively play it. I just bought an Xbox 360 + Kinect on a whim when I think Wario64 posted a crazy Amazon pricing error on the bundle in the middle of the night. Since I have a powerful PC gaming rig and I have epileptic sensitivity to framerate and screen tearing I don't really play many console games. Dance Central 1 and 3 are the only 360 games I own. ;b

Sorral

He used to be a mod who used derail most of the threads he visits.

At his height, one of the quickest mods to ban. I think dragona might be up there too, but from what i hear she wouldnt engage and argue with members as much as Amir0x.

Basically you was on very thin ice as a Junior if Amir0x stepped in the thread. Even the most innocent comment could get you a perma, if he decided to argue with you.

There are alot of salty ex-juniors out there who got their account nuked by him. Thats why you cant do an article on NeoGaf without someone bring him up and insulting him.

Yeah, seen his tag about the mod thing. But damn, banning for arguing with you? o.o That shows in how many times I have seen the comments about him on outside things about Gaf now... Too many.

Thanks for the replies. It is always interesting to hear about older backgrounds of things around here.

xJavonta

Banned
I must admit the primary reason I wanted to join gaf is because there's not really a language filter or anything like that on the site. You can say whatever you want, within reason, unlike other boards I used to frequent like OCN (I fucking hate that place now)

Edit: also LOL at the saltiness of Dyack. His game should have been better and it wouldn't have been shit on.

Haven't had a chance to read the article, but what's with all the Dance Central talk? I don't actively play it. I just bought an Xbox 360 + Kinect on a whim when I think Wario64 posted a crazy Amazon pricing error on the bundle in the middle of the night. Since I have a powerful PC gaming rig and I have epileptic sensitivity to framerate and screen tearing I don't really play many console games. Dance Central 1 and 3 are the only 360 games I own. ;b

They mention that those are the only 360 games you own in the article lol

Vorundor

"we’re running on ridiculously powerful hardware right now – I even upgraded again after the Sony conference stuff. We’re at, like 64 cores, 160 gigabytes of RAM and this fast, cloud-based array."

Hoolyyy shiitt, it's like a ps6!

But it can't run FB3, sorry.

Burt

But NeoGAF's supreme leader can't be known to play FILTHY CASUAL GAMES!!!1!1!1!

Dance Central sales are probably going to get a boost now, with this official "Approved by EviLore" label. ;-)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The article says:

"I just love dancing", claims serious Dance Central fanatic, Malka. "The only games I own are Dance Central and Just Dance and the only movies I own are Footloose, Flashdance and Dirty Dancing - though I consider that to be more of a period piece drama than a 'pure' dancing movie. God I could talk about this all day."

El Sloth

Banned
I wonder exactly how many publishers and devs have Tyler blacklisted.

Just seeing the list in it's entirety would be some good comedy I'm sure.

Edit: lol Dave.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Good article, it was a walk down memory lane for me as I've been a member of GAF for well over 10 years and remember all of that. Hell I'm not even sure when I first became a member. My first true memories of getting to know Tyler was back when the first Kohan game came out and we all used to play matches almost daily, good times. That was around 2001 I think? Most of the Kohan group are still here too at NeoGAF.

Yeah, seen his tag about the mod thing. But damn, banning for arguing with you? o.o That shows in how many times I have seen the comments about him on outside things about Gaf now... Too many.

Thanks for the replies. It is always interesting to hear about older backgrounds of things around here.

From what i saw it wasnt so much that he banned you for not agreeing, more that he was so forceful (he would argue passionate i guess) with his opinion that he would basically suck all the air out the room defending his point, even when debunked. This in turn would end up frustrating most and eventually they would say something out of line which would then give Amir0x a excuse to ban them.

Its like arguing with an extremely pigheaded person, eventually you are just going to tell them they are a fucking idiot. Of course that is frowned open here.

If most gaffers aren't blocking ads.

I assume the bulk of those views are from non members though.

Top Bottom