• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of Super Mario Kart | Gaming Historian

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This guy does great documentaries on all things Nintendo. His latest goes over the history of Mario Kart.

Learn the complete history of Super Mario Kart, one of the most influential games of all time. After a failed attempt to make a 2-player version of F-Zero, Nintendo created a quirky go-kart racing game featuring Mario & friends. Despite receiving little hype, Super Mario Kart exploded in popularity, becoming one of the best-selling games for the Super Nintendo. It was a genre-defining title and the beginning of one of Nintendo's most popular franchises.

▶️ New viewer? Subscribe! | https://www.youtube.com/gaminghistorian

CHAPTERS
00:00 - Introduction
01:17 - Part 1: Racing for Two
12:35 - Part 2: Changing Lanes
33:59 - Part 3: An Unforgettable Ride
48:48 - End Credits

For a list of sources, visit https://www.thegaminghistorian.com

calistan

The original MK was so great. If anyone was on a winning streak and wanted to really rub the other player’s nose in it, we’d do the secret button code (A+Y?) to make the character start in shrunken mode. If you won like that it was super humiliating for the other guy.

I remember that being previewed on some TV show and me writing it off as a cynical cash grab. Never been more wrong in my life. It didn’t leave my SNES for weeks at a time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Donkey Kong GIF

Huge fan of Mario kart 64 felt the series dropped off after double dash when they made motion controls a thing.

Trunx81

Great video, as always!
So many fond memories of Mario Kart. Lended it from my cousin when I finally got my SNES in ‘94 and my father, who wasn’t a gamer at all, liked it so much that he bought it for me just a week later. We’ve competed in time trial on the first course, both with only Koopa Troopa as he was the easiest to handle. Many many hours went into that track, my father sometimes taking a bottle of red wine with him into the gaming room, stating “I’ll beat you”, and a few hours later coming down the stairs, smiling because he’d beaten my time by a millisecond. In the end, I stayed victorious as one day he gave up after I crashed his last record. But till then, it’s one of my best father-son memories ever.

Three

I remember seeing a Super Mario Kart time for Mario Circuit 1 in the Guinness Book of records (1995 I think it was) and me and my brother sat down trying to beat it. My brother was just 01 of a second out from matching it.

Top Bottom