• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sugar Conspiracy (how bad nutrition science made us fatter and unhealthier)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Studies have shown that regions with vegetable-heavy or even (nigh) vegetable-exclusive diets have extremely healthy people (places where meat isn't all that common an ingredient in the dinner table). They don't have people with diabetes, heart disease or all that many other diet/over-consumption related diseases. This demonization of all sources of carbs is dumb, especially if it leads to the stupidly overt glorification & over consumption of meat, which is not only unhealthy, but destructive to Earth altogether.

It's really hard to eat as many calories as your typical fat-assed American when all you can eat is vegetables. It's basically impossible.

DjRalford

I've been having a really hard time cutting sugar. It's a hell of a drug.

Yeah it takes time kicking habits.

In the last 6 years i've

Quit smoking
Stopped drinking alcohol
Swapped sugar for granulated Sucralose

Come to think of it, over those 6 years I've also put on about 4 St

Yukiari

Eat real food, not too much, with vegetables. Done.

Oh oh oh! This! I really hate demonizing food, it keeps the unhealthy relationships with foods going. How about just eating real food, moderating your pleasures and eating your veggies (And that doesn't mean just corn and carrots >.>)

American has a real problem with obesity yes, because there is a big problem with moderation and sedentary lifestyles. More education is needed for people but demonizing particularly food groups isn't the answer. .I wonder what the next this is going to kill you bandwagon people are going to jump on. We're still going through the Red meat is going to kill you phase.

rykomatsu

I just wish more companies made low carb/sugar convenience foods. I'm not going to start cooking like some kind of Alfred Pennyworth. Let me buy high fat, high protein, low carb processed foods I can just shove in my face. I don't need to eat perfectly; I just want to avoid the really bad stuff that shouldn't be in my food. Salt is fine. Artificial sweetener is fine. Chemicals are fine. I don't need grass-fed beef or organic vegetables. Just remove the sugar so I can make healthier choices without having to become le chef de cuisine who cooks his own food like some kind of manual-transmission-preferring, copper-pan-owning, vegetables-are-delicious-you-just-have-to-cook-them-right-claiming, cricket-watching, collared-shirt-sporting, book-reading, glasses-wearing, sex-having hipster.

Spam (I kid you not)
Bacon
Sausages
Peanut Butter
Anchovies (if you slurp the olive oil too)
Moon cheese
Flavored pumpkin seeds
Flavored almonds
Quest bars (suggest Cookies and Cream)
Various cheeses
Whipped cream (from real whipping cream)
Mayonaise
Salmon, beef jerky
Creamed spinach (certain kinds)

I could go on, but lots of choices...sometimes you need to hunt around - Super Seedz were an awesome snack find for me...all sorts of flavors, even the sweet ones have very little sugar.

It could potentially change things like the insulin response to sweet foods and effect a person's fat composition as a secondary effect. Scientists aren't really sure of the details yet but the tea leaves are pointing in that direction.

Man, that'd really suck. It's like, my go-to thing for fake sweet stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Studies have shown that regions with vegetable-heavy or even (nigh) vegetable-exclusive diets have extremely healthy people (places where meat isn't all that common an ingredient in the dinner table). They don't have people with diabetes, heart disease or all that many other diet/over-consumption related diseases. This demonization of all sources of carbs is dumb, especially if it leads to the stupidly overt glorification & over consumption of meat, which is not only unhealthy, but destructive to Earth altogether.

Plenty of obese vegetarian Indians out there, for example.

Is your "studies have shown" comment another one of those "I feel like this is true, and if I prodded, I'm going to Google to find some studies that match my opinion" things?

Your tacitly associating meat consumption with diabetes is ridiculous. Meat is not unhealthy in the slightest. It can be a part of an unhealthy diet, of course, but so can anything.

Also, I don't think anyone is demonizing *all* sources of carbs. Haven't seen a lot of people saying you should avoid leafy greens or broccoli and such.

Oppo

So why don't the studies agree on whether artificial sweeteners are better than going cold turkey on sugar?
they're new
food lobbyists
FDA is fucked

take your pick

Gary Taubes has some interesting stuff on poor indigenous populations subsisting on a sparse agrarian diet with 40% obesity rates in women

it's all about the insulin

Aske

So why don't the studies agree on whether artificial sweeteners are better than going cold turkey on sugar?

Most (perhaps all?) of them do, especially if you take European results into account rather than just American ones. If any reputable studies actually say artificial sweetener might be worse than sugar I'd be interested to see them - I've only found vague suggestions that perhaps artificial sweeteners may induce sugar-like effects.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Most (perhaps all?) of them do, especially if you take European results into account rather than just American ones. If any reputable studies actually say artificial sweetener might be worse than sugar I'd be interested to see them - I've only found vague suggestions that perhaps artificial sweeteners may induce sugar-like effects.
They're not disagreeing on whether the sweeteners are better than sugar (they are). They disagree on whether dieting with artificial sweeteners is more effective than dieting without any sweetened foods at all (i.e. diet soda vs water only).

Lomax

There are studies that showed in rats with unregulated diets the ones on artificial sweeteners consumed more calories than those on sugar, and ended up gaining more weight overall. What this means though, no one really knows.

They're not disagreeing on whether the sweeteners are better than sugar (they are). They disagree on whether dieting with artificial sweeteners is more effective than dieting without any sweetened foods at all (i.e. diet soda vs water only).

There's plenty of disagreement on if they are better than sugar or not. Sure, in a vacuum the reduction of calories is better, but in an actual day to day diet the effect is questionable. And of course going to water only is better. But the problem with all diet/nutrition science is that abstinence only methods don't work for anything in the real world.

DjRalford

High carb low fat vegans are laughing right now while drink a can of coke.

Nah, if there were vegans about they'd be all over this thread telling everyone that they're vegan, and how they're saving the rest of us and the world by being vegan.

Am i doing it right?

Dreavus

What a rotten field nutrition has become (still is?). The adherence to dogma and inability to accept or admit culpability is disgusting.

Also:

I'm going to buy 100 eggs right now!

This is one that I became aware of only in the last few years or so, no joke. I always had in the back of my mind "careful of eating too too many eggs" for my entire life. Good news overall because I love eating eggs.

mantidor

OK this thing about fruits not being that good is making me scratch my head, I binge on tangerines whenever I have the chance, are you really telling me this is bad? D:

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
They are good, if you don't over-consume. But fruit juice is bad.
Good God there is nothing wrong with fresh squeezed fruit juices.

There's nothing wrong with fruit either. Eat a balanced freaking diet, everything in moderation.

There's nothing wrong with fruit either. Eat a balanced freaking diet, everything in moderation.

That's the problem no one really knows what a balanced diet is for us humans.
How to quantify moderate one camp thinks 150 grams of carbs is moderate
other camps think 50 grams of carbs is moderate. Others think fat is bad and should
be eliminated in your diet. etc

Then don't forget the different levels of sensitivity and intolerance to certain
food types.

what even

I had to google it, and its a half truth food with fructose doesn't really stimulate insuline as much as food that have glucose in them, hence you don't really feel full and eat more.
But that is what i gained in a 10 min google search, so don't take it as fact.

captive

other camps think 50 grams of carbs is moderate. Others think fat is bad and should

Then don't forget the different levels of sensitivity and intolerance to certain
food types.
Actually it's not that hard, go see a registered dietician. They can help you with all those questions.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

food types.

I had to google it, and its a half truth food with fructose doesn't really stimulate insuline as much as food that have glucose in them, hence you don't really feel full and eat more.
But that is what i gained in a 10 min google search, so don't take it as fact.
I looked up a few things and arguments as well after. Mainly on the leptin side.
Actually it's not that hard, go see a registered dietician. They can help you with all those questions.
Don't really but it, took a class on some of this and plenty of it is still out dated and I wouldn't put much faith in most people who got certified 20 years ago, etc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fructose alone does not stimulate insulin release, no. It needs to be processed in the liver, where it is preferentially metabolized into lipids (triglycerides).

what even

He explains it in the video. The beta-islet cells of your pancreas simply don't have a receptor to detect fructose.

This isn't an evolutionary flaw, our caveman ancestors could only get fructose from fruits, and that was never a significant component of pre-industrial human diets. Fructose being in literally everything is something we are doing to our processed foods in the last 30 years.

captive

I looked up a few things and arguments as well after. Mainly on the leptin side.

Don't really but it, took a class on some of this and plenty of it is still out dated and I wouldn't put much faith in most people who got certified 20 years ago, etc.
I dont even understand the 20 year comment has to do with anything. Do you only see doctors that are younger than you? What about mechanics? Anyway my wife works with a registered dietician who's all of 5 years older than me. And she would tell you the same thing, a balanced diet.

Just saying x is bad for you is reductionist and incorrect. Alcohol isn't bad for you as long as you don't drink to excess every day. A beer or glass of wine a couple times a week isn't going to make you fat or kill your liver. Sugar isn't bad for you as long as your not gorging yourself on it every day. Fruit isn't bad etc. This isn't that hard. It all varies if you exercise a lot, guess what you can eat more sugary things or other "unhealthy" foods. Portion sizes and stupid fad diets are the major problems with how Americans eat and are over weight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Six Pack got it all figured out.

Goddamn lazy fat ass Americans, amirite? Need to get off that couch and learn themselves some moderation!

As a type 1 diabetic as well it's crazy how we have the best insight to see just exactly how carbs fuck with your body and weight because we have to watch it so closely. When people tell me to eat carbs I literally want to punch them in the face.

captive

Goddamn lazy fat ass Americans, amirite? Need to get off that couch and learn themselves some moderation!
Yea that's exactly what I said, jackass. Always love when people tag quote me as if it means anything.

But yes portion size is a huge problem. Go to any text mex restaurant in texas and tell me their dinner portions are "normal"

How much protein do you think you should eat at lunch or dinner? Hint it's not the whole chicken breast or the whole steak, cut them in half and you'd be a bit closer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yea that's exactly what I said, jackass. Always love when people tag quote me as if it means anything.

But yes portion size is a huge problem. Go to any text mex restaurant in texas and tell me their dinner portions are "normal"

How much protein do you think you should eat at lunch or dinner? Hint it's not the whole chicken breast or the whole steak, cut them in half and you'd be a bit closer.

No, I think I'll take the whole steak, thank you very much. Some broccolini sautéed in butter on the side would be nice, too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I dont even understand the 20 year comment has to do with anything. Do you only see doctors that are younger than you? What about mechanics? Anyway my wife works with a registered dietician who's all of 5 years older than me. And she would tell you the same thing, a balanced diet.

Just saying x is bad for you is reductionist and incorrect. Alcohol isn't bad for you as long as you don't drink to excess every day. A beer or glass of wine a couple times a week isn't going to make you fat or kill your liver. Sugar isn't bad for you as long as your not gorging yourself on it every day. Fruit isn't bad etc. This isn't that hard. It all varies if you exercise a lot, guess what you can eat more sugary things or other "unhealthy" foods. Portion sizes and stupid fad diets are the major problems with how Americans eat and are over weight.
I'm tired and upset and working tomorrow and haven't been doing as well on my diet as I'd like this half of the week. It was reductionist. I'm down 40lbs though on diet so far (again) at least. Calorie restriction -> low carb to get past plateau -> higher protein and calorie cutting again

The 20 years comment was more a frustration at what was being taught in the course I took only a few years ago and many people don't update their knowledge. Just because someone is a registered dietitian (I'm aware 'nutritionist' is meaningless and not what you are talking about) doesn't mean they should be not vetted. That said I did go one one before, but he is a very prominent advocate of the low-carb diet.

I don't think the comment though is as 'right' as it is. Why are people able to eat such large portion sizes for example? Why are young kids (6-24 months) obese? Why is it not America, but pretty much every single other country creeping up overweight %? Look at the statistics for Mexico and explain why they MORE OBESE than America. Why is 70% of Delhi obese? Why do these people 'choose' to keep being obese and having horrible quality of life? Why would anyone? Where are the fad-diets coming from, who is behind them, what is the science. How much fad diet is a thing when orange juice and yogurt are billed as healthy non fat items? etc.

Shifting the targets and understanding away from the individual is important because there are huge factors at play. Of course even with all that said and videoes watched I deeply believe a vast majority of my weight is on me, but understanding the energy process and why certain macro factors cause widespread weight gain or behavioral patterns is incredibly important.

Read what he wrote and take your low-carb zealotry elsewhere and talk on the points he makes, not his tag.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've always liked this one:

976301_545150855542064_5615001_o.jpg

Pro-tip: Drink water. Anything packaged is making you fat. An average beer is healthier for you than Coca-Cola.

Ever pro-er tip: Drink tap water. Bottled water is such a scam. Not that it's bad for you, it's just so wasteful and unnecessary.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Read what he wrote and take your low-carb zealotry elsewhere and talk on the points he makes, not his tag.

It would help if there were a point to respond to.

Saying that nothing is bad for you is just nonsense. Telling people to enjoy things in moderation is saying nothing at all. It's all just a bunch of hand waving nonsense to shift the blame and responsibility of obesity and overweight onto individuals all while telling them to not over-complicate things by learning about the effects of individual foods on their own bodies.

Late edit: also, negative connotations of zealotry aside, why would I take my interest and passion in low/no carb dieta elsewhere when it is very much on-topic to this very thread. Not like I'm all up in the Dark Souls III thread calling people casuals for drinking juice or something.

jman2050

There's no real good method that fits everyone when it comes to regulating body weight and health.

That's not to say that you should ignore all advice or do what you want, it just means that you need to pay careful attention to how your eating habits and other lifestyle habits affect your body and determine what is and isn't working, rather than just taking what you hear from others as gospel.

The Tropicana orange juice you buy at Safeway is not fresh-squeezed fruit juice. There's a fair amount of controversy about how "not from concentrate" orange juice skirts almost all definitions of the term 'fresh' because it's not even close.

Eating an apple is not the same as drinking a glass of apple juice.

That's the discussion people are having here.

OK this thing about fruits not being that good is making me scratch my head, I binge on tangerines whenever I have the chance, are you really telling me this is bad? D:

Starchy fruits (banana, mangoes, melons, apples)? Moderation is key. Non-starchy fruits(most berries)? Good luck overeating them, if you even can.

2AdEPT

So even having this stuff in moderation is bad?

No. anyone who gets too bent out of shape on sugar and CHO forgets that CHO is 60 % of a healthy diet. Its only bad if you go too refined and do not find complex CHO sources.....and only if you dont exercise...everything doesnt revolve around nutrition in a bubble...its the balance of calories that is key...Nutrition matters less than the fear mongering ideas in this thread might suggest, as long as you eat a lot of vegetables and fibre and water, the odd sweet treat is no big deal. If you are an athlete and exercise a lot like me, you can barely look at a thread like this and not feel sorry for people that dont exercise.....and as such are forced to worry about what they eat so much.

A note to the conspiracy aspect.....there are those of us who have studied science our whole lives and whom ignored mass media and sugary cereal on saturday am cartoons since we were 5 years old in 1977. This is kind of old news to me and my family and I have just taken it as a given my whole life not to get sucked in by profiteering companies. This is easier said than done when the whole premise of our society still regrettably revolves around fooling others into buying things they do not need, or even want most of the time.

Notwithstanding, I never really did well with the whole co-op food club stuff either. I have had to temper my distaste for mass marketing owing to the fact that price and ease of access is worth something, if not everything.

Ever pro-er tip: Drink tap water. Bottled water is such a scam. Not that it's bad for you, it's just so wasteful and unnecessary.
That;s easy to tell someone like me from the pacific Northwest (and the Canada side to boot where the water supply is fed by glaciers)...after visiting Florida I almost puked on the water that came out of the tap there. Its not like there arent a few other places getting close to FLint quality Im sure.

Margarine was created when people though ( thanks to us doctors) that the cholesterol found in the arteries come from the cholesterol we eat.
That's not true and it one of the biggest illusory correlation in public health ever.

Bottom line: eat butter, brown sugar=sugar so NO, eat more complex carbs, more fat and much more protein.

Run from simple sugar and especially frutose.

What are some good fat foods? Should I be getting heathy fat from almonds and what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom