• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2 |OT| The Last Bastion of Sprite Animation (56k watch out)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Wonder when they'll release the OST. Maybe a Z2-2 two parter.

I know the OP and ED songs for the game (done by JAM Project) have already been released.

xero273

got done 20 and 21 today. FU 20, multiple boss fights. had to do stage twice. first time i forgot quick save so had to start from beginning. Barely got the skill point for 21. Good thing gurren had hot blood and someone did assist attack.

Bebpo

Banned
Ester's
musical instruments
subplot is hilarious. The OG characters in this are all pretty great, guess it makes up for the OG mech being totally boring.

At the final split now. 12 stages to go! Story is ramping up nicely, looking forward to see how much more plot there is before what I'm presuming is CLIFFHANGER ending and then a 6 month wait for the rest of it.

Also, Guren (Geass) is a freaking powerhouse unit. Even though it's final melt attack is number-wise far less powerful, it does more actual damage than almost all my supers/near-maxed Exia 99% of the time. It basically does the same damage as maxed Chirico and this is with Guren at like lvl.6/7 weapons. Kallen is just a beaaast, plus that attack negates barrier AND size difference and is cheap (30EN) and has range. It's crazy how sick your party gets in the last 15 stages. I'm finding the SR points much easier now because your party just destroys everything.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who's finished the game, and could actually read the ending...
During the "preview", anyone have idea who the "no portrait" characters are, and/or what they're talking about?

Also, how many have finished the game already?

Shouta

HaRyu said:
For anyone who's finished the game, and could actually read the ending...
During the "preview", anyone have idea who the "no portrait" characters are, and/or what they're talking about?

Also, how many have finished the game already?

I'm pretty sure they were going to be new villains for Z2-2 like the Imperium was for Z2-1. I'd need to look at it again though.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished the last split. 6 maps to go. Time to finiiiiish this :D The last 10 maps or so in a SRW game are always so awesome. Plots kicking into gear, mechs getting upgrades, hot blooded final boss fights with lots of yelling. I think I tend to love the first 10 maps of a SRW and the last 10 maps of a SRW more than all the stuff in the middle of them.

The last split in the game was so unbalanced,
Dai-Guard/GL route was a joke, Gunmen enemies die so easily, bosses were nothing. Otoh, Dancougar Nova last stage was fucking BRUTAL; hardest stage in the entire game so far. Those Nova enemies are the scariest enemies in the game; even more than the toughest DMs. They have tons of HP/DEF (15k), they have REALLY GOOD ACCURACY so if you aren't using concentrate your reals are getting hit, and they hit EXTREMELY HARD, so if your real does get hit, he dies. Plus they just burn through the armor of supers so you gotta use SP for steelwall. Doesn't help that the space route only has ONE EN refill unit that is the Gravion girl and it dies very easily against these dudes. Plus the boss had even more HP than Genome and you had less supers, so less hot blooded/high damage attacks. Was definitely in a different league than the GL final map, and kind of fun in a "oh shit this is scary" way. Not to mention the Dai-guard final map which was a joke (65k HP final boss in a party of all hot blooded supers & chiriko? lolol it died in 2-3 hits.

Some cool stuff in these maps. The final GL map in particular was pretty interesting. Lord Genome had some really foreshadowing/interesting things to say to a lot of the characters. Makes me really look forward to Z2-2/Z3 and where this all goes.

Also, I just want to add to the record that this is a cheating SRW. Sometimes SRW games feel like they cheat on the hit %s and this is one of them. I get hit by 10-20% chance attacks from enemies ALL THE TIME. When my Mac F unit gets hit by a 9% chance from a big dumb super and then immediately after gets hit by a 18% chance on the next attack from another big dumb super and dies, it's a bit annoying. I can't remember the last srw where I keep getting hit by <40% chances and yet my party loves to miss a 79%-84% hit chance. I don't even attempt anything under 70% because it's just not going to hit. The game isn't particularly hard, and honestly I think even on hard mode going for all SR points it's closer to W/K/@3 SRW difficulty than actually challenging SRW games like OGG (though a couple of the SR points in the 20-30 range before your team gets overpowered can be, like stage 20), but man does it cheat >_<

xero273

Bebpo said:
Also, I just want to add to the record that this is a cheating SRW. Sometimes SRW games feel like they cheat on the hit %s and this is one of them. I get hit by 10-20% chance attacks from enemies ALL THE TIME. When my Mac F unit gets hit by a 9% chance from a big dumb super and then immediately after gets hit by a 18% chance on the next attack from another big dumb super and dies, it's a bit annoying. I can't remember the last srw where I keep getting hit by <40% chances and yet my party loves to miss a 79%-84% hit chance. I don't even attempt anything under 70% because it's just not going to hit. The game isn't particularly hard, and honestly I think even on hard mode going for all SR points it's closer to W/K/@3 SRW difficulty than actually challenging SRW games like OGG (though a couple of the SR points in the 20-30 range before your team gets overpowered can be, like stage 20), but man does it cheat >_<

At least I'm not the only one that thinks ai cheats. Screw you game how can you hit me at 20% while I have trouble hitting at 70%. So many times I go into battle and go like I don't need to heal. Enemy only has like 20% hit rate then bam I'm dead :(

Shouta

The reverse happens pretty often too. Enemy has 80% hit accuracy or more and I manage to dodge it. So it's not only in the AI's favor.

xero273

On the secrets for getting Marguerite. One of the conditions
Defeat Marguerite with Crowe every time Marguerite appears, except for stage 18 in which Crowe is shot down automatically

I assume they mean stage 28 because that's where you meet her. Do I need to beat her on that stage too? don't see anything saying to beat her there.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
xero273 said:
At least I'm not the only one that thinks ai cheats. Screw you game how can you hit me at 20% while I have trouble hitting at 70%. So many times I go into battle and go like I don't need to heal. Enemy only has like 20% hit rate then bam I'm dead :(

Generally to be safe (and this applies to all SRW games), you want the main character of a series to make the kill of the opposing unit. (I've always used Crowe to defeat Marguerite).

Now, for the whole hit rate/dodge rate thing... are you guys really having that much trouble with it? I'm not counting my later runs, because at this point, I'm cheating more than the game, but on the 1st run, the only excessive rage resets I've had w/ the game were trying to get skill points, and just barely missing them.

That's not to say I'm getting hit, I am, but I've never put myself in a corner where a unit or two gets massacred completely. Having one unit hit you w/ a 20% is annoying, but not that bad, unless it killed you in one shot. If that's the case, that's just poor planning on your part.

Now if its one unit against a crapload of enemies, and you're getting nailed by like the 3rd or 4th unit, I don't know if it's applying to this game (but I've always applied to every game to be safe), but you guys are aware of the "successive evasion penalty" rule, right?

EDIT: Yes, the "successive evasion penalty" does apply to this game, although its not as horribly lethal as when it was applied in SRW L.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, I don't think it's "bad planning" to put a real with high dodge and concentrate activated out on the front lines where a couple of enemies will attack it with 0-20% accuracy. Realistically the chances of you getting hit should be pretty low. But in this game you tend to get hit a lot more than you should doing that.

I mean playing @3 for 50+ hours I can't even remember a real getting hit by a <30% chance and dying in 1 hit even once. Whereas I've lost a handful of reals in Z2-1 from that.

I guess I only find it annoying because I hate losing even a single unit in a map. Even if it's a junk unit. So I reset and it takes a few mins to redo the entire turn again.

Once I had maxed Chiriko get hit by a boss who had about 3% hit chance and it one hit killed him. wtff

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
Eh, I don't think it's "bad planning" to put a real with high dodge and concentrate activated out on the front lines where a couple of enemies will attack it with 0-20% accuracy. Realistically the chances of you getting hit should be pretty low. But in this game you tend to get hit a lot more than you should doing that.

20% still means that the odds of you getting hit is still 1 in 5, aka, for every 5 attacks, you'll be hit at least once. 20% shouldn't be considered "I have nothing to worry about" territory.

Bebpo said:
I mean playing @3 for 50+ hours I can't even remember a real getting hit by a <30% chance and dying in 1 hit even once. Whereas I've lost a handful of reals in Z2-1 from that.

I guess I only find it annoying because I hate losing even a single unit in a map. Even if it's a junk unit. So I reset and it takes a few mins to redo the entire turn again.

Alpha 3's AI is more forgiving, not the standard. And in most cases, even if you were hit, the fact that it used squads and relied more heavily on support skills meant that there were lots of ways to survive an onslaught. Z2.1's AI really is more of the norm/average, there are far, far more unforgiving SRW games out there. *cough* SRW 4/F/F Final *cough*

Bebpo said:
Once I had maxed Chiriko get hit by a boss who had about 3% hit chance and it one hit killed him. wtff

^O^ Unless that happens every time you deploy him, that would be bad luck more than anything. Chirico is also not the type of unit to take more than one hit, in most cases. It should have been a tip off when his best pilot skill requires him to get to critical HP, w/c is pretty much damn near impossible when not trying to do it on purpose.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyhow it's not really a big deal; just wanted to mention it. Now if the game was really tough like A Portable or something then it would be a big deal :p I haven't played much of A Portable but I heard it's hard and it the hit %s tend to seem off and in the enemies favor a bit too much.

TimeKillr

I'm almost done with my 1st playthrough (taking a while since I only play on my off-times)...

I farmed the HELL out of stage 39 (
I think - the one with the Godmars objective where you need to use the boss on the stage - if you kill the boss, you get a game over
). I'd get about 101k cash in one run of that stage, so I did it 10 times in a row to get over a million and do two full upgrades on units after the stage. :)

I'm at 41 or 42 now
the Dai-Guard stage
and it's still going pretty strong. No particularly tough stages right now.

It's funny because Crowe is my boss killer - Spigot VX self support into Spigot VX from his last seishin does a shit ton of damage :) I wonder if I should give him Ignore Size Penalty - the last skill I gave him was the 170 morale one, but I still wonder if I would do more damage with the other skill...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
TimeKillr said:
I'm almost done with my 1st playthrough (taking a while since I only play on my off-times)...

I farmed the HELL out of stage 39 (
I think - the one with the Godmars objective where you need to use the boss on the stage - if you kill the boss, you get a game over
). I'd get about 101k cash in one run of that stage, so I did it 10 times in a row to get over a million and do two full upgrades on units after the stage. :)

I'm at 41 or 42 now
the Dai-Guard stage
and it's still going pretty strong. No particularly tough stages right now.

It's funny because Crowe is my boss killer - Spigot VX self support into Spigot VX from his last seishin does a shit ton of damage :) I wonder if I should give him Ignore Size Penalty - the last skill I gave him was the 170 morale one, but I still wonder if I would do more damage with the other skill...

Depends on what you're attacking. 170 Morale helps overall, but Ignore Size would essentially cause more damage, but only if you were fighting something larger than the unit you're using (in Crowe's case, anything larger than M-Class). Luckily, in the last couple of stages, that's pretty much what you're going to be fighting anyway.

For pretty much all the characters in my game who drive M-class or smaller sized units, I gave them all Ignore Size.

Shouta

If your unit's best attacks or commonly used ones have Ignore size, then it might not be worth it as an FYI. But in general, it's a very good skill even for Larger mechs as it reduces the accuracy penalty if I recall.

In Team Alpha games, Ignore Size and Morale Limit Break are usually the only two PP skills that help produce extra damage. The only other method is to pump stats so usually I get these two skills then E-Save or B-Save then pump Melee/Shooting.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, if the best attack ignores size like Gurren (geass), I don't give them size ignore.

I got the Tornado Pack, but like the armored pack it was kind of lame and not much of an upgrade. Was hoping they'd give Mac F units some more impressive animation attacks than what they started with. Gotta wait for z2-2! Alto is a good unit though with bullet save & cartridge. Though you gotta slap on an A or S adapter because outside of space his ranks are awful.

4 stages left!

Shouta

Huh? Pretty sure the Valks have an S for Air in Fighter mode. The packs give them S in Space as well as I recall.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
Huh? Pretty sure the Valks have an S for Air in Fighter mode. The packs give them S in Space as well as I recall.

You are correct, Valkyries have an S Rank for Air, and an A Rank for Space, however, because of the pilot stats, most of the Valks Air rating is reduced to A Rank.

EDIT: And I'm looking at Alto's terrain rankings... the average is A-B-C-A for Air-Land-Sea-Space when in Fighter(plane) mode, and A-A-C-A when in Battroid mode.

Bebpo

Banned
Then again, by the time you get them maybe there's only space missions left. Dunno, haven't finished. Even so, it'll be an issue in z2-2.

Shouta

You can just up the pilots rank to get the S status. Besides Pilot rank/unit rank is their evasion/hit rate. Their weapon ranking is the damage they deal with that weapon.

Giving them S in air for their FUB or a part will fix that in a jiff anyway and increase their damage because of the weapon rank increase!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, someone clear something up for me...

End of Z1, where the hell was Setsuko in relation to the rest of the ZEUTH crew? I was under the impression that she was separated from everyone (like completely different dimension separate), but based on how they talk about her in Z2.1, its like they were at least communicating w/ her during the one year gap.

Bebpo

Banned
Between pilot points, fubs, ace bonuses, accessories every unit is perfect and none have any weaknesses apparently. Ah, the world of infinite PP, kills, and money; Too bad it means little on your first run where your resources are limited and none of this matters for 2nd run+ since your party is overpowered anyhow and steamroll the game :p

Shouta

HaRyu said:
Okay, someone clear something up for me...

End of Z1, where the hell was Setsuko in relation to the rest of the ZEUTH crew? I was under the impression that she was separated from everyone (like completely different dimension separate), but based on how they talk about her in Z2.1, its like they were at least communicating w/ her during the one year gap.

All of ZEUTH went their separate ways after the end of the game. Setsuko ended up creating another Glory Stars team with the other world versions of Toby and Denzel who i assume were stuck in the Z1 world because of Asakim. I don't recall the ending dialogue too well but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. They could simply retcon it a little too if they needed.

My best units on my first run had tons of PP and you get a lot of parts as well (they don't transfer over on subsequent runs anyway). So it's not exactly like you can't do that sort of stuff. It's simply a matter of play style.

Bebpo

Banned
aaaand 100 hours later, finished it. Last boss killed half my team with his map attack :X Luckily was able to finish the rest of his HP with the remaining members the next turn.

Overall it was a good SRW game. Nice animations, good bgms, interesting OG story, challenging fun gameplay for the first half, then fun destroy everything gameplay for the 2nd half.

How they handled the story was really really odd. For a game called destruction-arc there really wasn't that much destruction! In fact (spoiler territory from this point on)
they basically took all the anime endings that ended in destruction (like OO S1 ending with everyone getting blown up, and Geass S1 ending with Lelouche/Suzuka killing each other) and removed them from the game to make the end super happy.

When they said Amuro has a mad face because of the EVIL DESTRUCTION EVENTS IN THE GAME...uhhhh, there were none! I don't even know why Amuro has a mad face, he doesn't seem any more angry than in any other SRW game when the bad guys are bad and the good guys are good. Oh no, he was mad that Trez was sitting in his office and not doing anything...somehow that doesn't seem to justify a pissed off portrait for every battle he's in...^^;

Just seemed kind of non-dark, non-destruction, non-cliffhanger, straightforward happy happy beat the bad guys srw outside of maybe kamina/lockon dying and the one city getting evaporated halfway. I thought the only messed up moment in the game was Shione's character, since she was a victim little princess the whole game and then goes nuts and gets killed without anyone saving her.

I have some issues with the fact that for the OG plot, it starts to build up and you're like "oh man when this ends I'm going to NEED Z2-2 asap to find out what happens next", but then in the last few maps all the OG enemies appear, tell you absolutely jack and shit about what they were attempting/are attempting to do, and then blow up and disappear from the story. After all the build up to Gaiou and him remembering his mission, you would have thought that at the finale of Z2-1 he'd reveal some big plot twist that sets up Z2-2 and gets you hooked. Instead he just had the usually pre-battle line hints and then says one line and blows up. And Aimu seemed kind of wasted. I think the plot would've been a lot more interesting if Crowe actually killed him and took his sphere in, so then we could see what happens when a sphere holders gets another sphere; you know, have some advancement of the overall z-universe plot. Instead Asakim just takes it and leaves.

I'm guessing Asakim will be the final boss of Z3 after collecting a bunch of spheres and powering up.

Also, since I'm a big OO S1 fan, I think they did a pretty poor job of it. They really changed so many scenes and the scenes lost their impact. Almost every major scene was changed. Like for lock-on's death, they should've done his human + mecha rifle death attack, since otherwise it just seems like he decided to bail out of his mech for no reason and just randomly die in space. Not having Graham show up immediately after Corner gets rid of the surprise and not having Graham/Setsuna end in a draw with both their suits blowing up/pilots assumedly killed but instead Graham just shows up and says "HEY LETS FIGHT" and then you kill him and he blows up and everyone is like "what was that?" "I dunno, some crazy dude. Let's get back to business"...yeah, they basically totally fucked up Graham/Setsuna rivalry. Same with not having Corner be crazy overpowered and kill a quarter of the Pletolmy crew in 1 shot; instead he's just a joke and has 20k HP in his golden mech form lol; my FUB/Ace setsuna did 50k damage per transam attack ^^; By not doing the GN Arms as actually gattai units with Rasse piloting the assault container, they totally skipped Rasse DYING as Setsuna's GN Arm gattai blows up in the last battle; you also missed the transam GN Arms attack and all GN Arms attacks that aren't just map spam. And like I said earlier, not having the Ali killing Saji's sister in the car scene makes no sense because the game has all these scenes with his sister building up to that climactic scene.

Anyhow, that's a lot of OO S1 ranting but since I've been waiting for it to appear in a SRW, I was kind of disappointed with how half-assed they did it. I mean Hal/Kyrios didn't even have the scene where Kyrios is captured and then breaks out and does the pincer attack (the pincer weapon is only a part of the final trans-am for a second and no where else in his movelist).

And Gundam Wing seemed absolutely pointless in this game. I think there were about 4 things that happened the entire 50 maps. 1. Colony Gundams arrive, 2. Heero meets Relena, 3. Zechs gets Tallgeese and keeps attacking Heero, 4. Trez sits and does nothing in his office. Meanwhile none of the units have any real scenes, Wing gundam doesn't get any new attacks, and OZ has no point in the story since they just replace AEU. I haven't watched Wing TV in years, so maybe that's just how the anime is and nothing actually happens for the first half of the show. Hopefully Z2-2 will have things actually happening in Wing.

Shin Mazinger was another weird one. The first 10-13maps of the game make it seem like they are really serious about Shin Mazinger. The way they re-enact the first few eps of the anime are awesome. The koshiryoku beam map is zomgggg. But then after about map10-13, Mazinger completely DISAPPEARS FROM THE ENTIRE GAME. Sure Ashura shows up once and a while with a mech and then runs away and sure they did ONE map later on where he gets his wing addon, but that's it. All the flashback story with the giants, all the other generals, all the actual PLOT just fell off after covering the intro. I get that they're going to do it all in Z2-2, but it's just very weird in Z2-1 since they focus so much on Shin Mazinger at the start and then totally ignore it the whole game.

Geass was handled pretty good outside not actually finishing S1. Having not seen Votoms, I thought they did a fairly good job with it here, giving it lots of maps, monologues, flashbacks. Godmars was nicely handled although the amount of times that Zuul tells his underlings THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE, YOU BETTER KILL MARS; and then they fail and he goes NOW THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE, over and over with Marg and Rosa...it's kind of lol and feels a bit fillerish.

Gurren Lagann was nice. They obviously skipped all the adventure eps of exploring the continent and going on wacky adventures, but they hit almost all the main points and fights and mechs. The last battle was great and the Lord Genome cutin was pretty cool. Only thing missing was not doing the scene where Kamina finds the remains of his father early on after leaving to the surface.

E7 movie was decent for the movie being terrible. The 303's booster pack looked as dumb as it did in the movie. Dai-guard was good, and the dai-guard cast probably had my favorite battle lines. Having not seen Dai-guard I was suprised that the show doesn't actually have a plot beyond the monster of the day with character development. I thought it'd be like Gaogaigar and at some point a plot would kick in, but it never did. Just hetrodynes over and over and then the show is over. Mac F was solid, I thought they stopped at a really good point because it felt like you beat the evil boss and the Vajira arc of the story is over. I actually really liked Dancougar Nova in this. At first I hated it and never even used the unit, but by the end I liked the characters, the story, and the mech. Might even watch the oav now.

I thought the Z1 cast was handled really badly. The way they introduced the cast was kind of boring and they never really had much point in the game and you could totally forget they even existed for the most part. Part of that was due to not having squads so most of them you never even deploy. If Z2-2 has squads, it should help. The new attacks were cool, but for most of the returning units, I'd see their new attack on the map I got them and then I'd never use them again ^^;

The OG characters were all pretty good and very worthy of a big budget SRW. Carlos is great and I look forward to his future development and backstory explanation of why he wants to destroy the world, Ester is hilarious and cute and will make a great 2ndary OG pilot in Z2-2, I hope they give her some goofy looking super robot like a giant bunny or something haha. Crowe and his relationship with the Chief is great. Aimu was a pretty good villain, though I wish they had explained more of his motives before he bit the dust suddenly. Margret and the other knight guy were good characters and their mechs were fun supers. Gaiou was a good villain, and I really liked what they were doing with his backstory when he'd talk with Lord Genome, or Moon WILL; so I wish they had given more hints at the final stage about what his true purpose was (it seemed like his purpose was to fight heroes and make them stronger so they would be ready for the true enemy down the line like the anti-spirals and if they lost they would become part of his army to fight off the true enemy down the line). I'm guessing he'll be back in Z2-2 though. Shione was interesting and Elgan was really cool. Asakim was good as always. I'm looking forward to them dealing with Crowe's backstory in Z2-2 since they kept bringing up the Firebug squad he was part of but never going into it. I'm guessing Z2-2 will have an OG enemy who is related to that squad and brings his past into the present.

So overall there was some good interesting stuff and some not as good stuff. I felt like the first 20 maps were really strong and did a good job setting up everything, and then I felt 20-30 were kind of boring with too many DM maps and too much focus on the OG plot while ignoring the anime plotlines, 30-50 were then good again with some great build up and nice final boss maps.

The post-credits trailer was a little interesting, but not really. It basically just reaffirmed that they were doing the ends of S1 shows at the start of Z2-2 instead of at the end of Z2-1, so there will be a handful of intro maps and then a time skip.

Definitely looking forward to Z2-2 whenever it comes out (probably xmas?); but not super hyped. I think I would have actually preferred if the last 5-10 maps were building up to Z2-2 and Z2-1 ended on a cliffhanger. Would've had me a lot more hyped. But as it is Z2-1 feels like a fairly complete SRW with an ending and epilogue and everything is done, so instead of being hyped I'm just kind of burnt out on SRW :p After spending so much time on this, my goal is not to play any games longer than 10 hours until Z2-2 comes out ;)

I'd probably give it about a B and put it in the middle of my srw rankings.

xero273

just finish 1st playthrough.

so they are doing all the endings like gundam 00 and geass in the beginning of z2.2

kind of wierd but whatever

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone still playing this? (1st/2nd/3rd/4th playthrough). I'm getting a little tempted to do a 2nd run for fun. Been too long since I've tore through grunts with Exia's GN Blade :p

I went back to playing Alpha 3 and wow, yeah everything seems better in hindsight. After playing Z2-1, Alpha 3 feels kind of iffy in some aspects. The biggest one being that maps takes FOREVER because all the enemies are in squads of 4, start far away from you, and your movement really sucks on a lot of earth maps. Plus you have tons of useless junk units filling up your deployed group who are only useful for seishin banks and you have to speed through their grunt attacks at the start of every attack animation. I think I'm definitely over squads now. I'd like Z2-2 to have a 2-unit partner system so you can deploy more units, but definitely don't want 3/4 unit squads (>_<). Otherwise everything else in @3 is still great, but the maps just draaag because of squads/movement.

On my second playthrough now, going through Celestial Being route. I'm getting all SR points for fun and plan on playing a third time so see Japan's route.

Ken

I played up until this one map where there the initial enemy forces was one boss-like character I think. Had a ridiculous amount of HP. Decided to take a break there. ]:

Bebpo

Banned
Katbot said:
On the final mission. It's kicking my ass. I don't think I did enough to get my units leveled.

It's definitely tough. Are you having trouble with the first wave or the 2nd wave (final boss) of the map? I blew all my SP to speed through the first wave and so the final boss gave me a lot of trouble with his map attack and incredibly high evasion/def.

Katbot

Bebpo said:
It's definitely tough. Are you having trouble with the first wave or the 2nd wave (final boss) of the map? I blew all my SP to speed through the first wave and so the final boss gave me a lot of trouble with his map attack and incredibly high evasion/def.

I can get through the first wave alright, but I always lose two to three units, and I find myself using some of my more powerful attacks to knock out the big guys.

Then then the final boss shows up with two more of the ultimate dimensional beasts, I just look at my forces and go, "Shit."

Bebpo

Banned
The only thing I can recommend is bringing in a lot of supers that have the "cut damage in 1/4th sp" and hot blood. Then give them SP regen parts and try to conserve SP as much as possible in the first wave. Have some of your B-tier units with hot blood rush the big enemies and take them out ASAP.

Then on the boss himself, just let him get close (but not pull off the map attack until you approach), then rush him with your steel wall active and a round of hot blooded best attacks using 100% accuracy (either have them do it or borrow it from another unit like Crowe). Then end turn and eat the map attack which shouldn't kill anyone with steel wall up. Then do a 2nd round of hot blooded best attacks with perfect accuracy (don't forget to use support attacks if you have them) and you should be able to kill him the 2nd turn of attacks.

Ken said:
I played up until this one map where there the initial enemy forces was one boss-like character I think. Had a ridiculous amount of HP. Decided to take a break there. ]:

You don't need to actually kill him though. Just do a little bit of damage and he leaves.

Shouta

I've finished the game 3 times already too. And if you're having trouble in the last level,you can just die and restart it as there's no Skill Point, you can just earn money and experience if you need it.

As for strategy, try to let the enemy come to you in the first wave and slowly smash them into the ground. There's also no turn limit so you can conserve SP for the last boss. You'll also be in closer range for supplies/repairs and support defense.

Katbot

Just finished the final level. Wasn't as hard as I thought, just needed to be patient. Thanks for the advice though.

The game itself felt like a giant tease for Part 2. They got through what, 10 percent of Gundam Wing? And there were next to no unit upgrades. Still enjoyed it though.

Only question now: Go back to my Setsuko playthrough on Z, or play through MX in preparation for OG2?

Ken

What does Pls/5 mean when it appears on enemies?

Also, does the game's difficulty ramp up later (currently on the early 30s) where certain teams are essential to winning? So far I've just been picking units just because I liked them in their shows but I'm beginning to wonder if there's a tier list of units and that I've been unknowingly choosing low tier units.

Shouta

Pls/5 is a damage modifier based on the number of units you have surrounding the enemy. It's a system from SRW Neo as I recall. So if you surround an opponent, your damage will go up against it.

The game isn't too difficult so you can play with any units you like rather than having to pick certain ones, unless you're trying to beat the game with buffed repair/supply units, hah.

Ken

Is Dai-Guard underpowered compared to the other robots like Mazinger or is there a secret to his usefulness (if any). I've upgraded his armor but he's still taking a lot of damage from every hit. At first I tried to use it as a tank unit but because he wasn't doing well as one, I didn't deploy him until he auto-deployed in one of the scenarios and had to put him in the back of the map away from enemies.

Also, recently some of the DM beasts, when weakened to red health, would always be able to reduce my attacks to 0 when I tried to finish it. How do I get around this?

squall23

Dai-Guard's a resupplier that can defend itself very effectively and the fact that most of it's attacks bypass barriers is pretty good early on. Akagi is also the only super robot pilot that gets Soul instead of Hotblood.

Ken

squall23 said:
Dai-Guard's a resupplier that can defend itself very effectively and the fact that most of it's attacks bypass barriers is pretty good early on. Akagi is also the only super robot pilot that gets Soul instead of Hotblood.
How do I use it as a resupplier? Also, how do I set him up to defend effectively because my Dai-Guard isn't defending well at all.

Shouta

Daiguard requires some parts and proper upgrades but it's really powerful when you do it. Armor is a must as is HP. You could go without EN or Evasion if you wanted. I typically do it anyway for the Full unit Bonus. As for parts, give him the A/S Adapters to cover the weaknesses of the unit itself. A barrier that reduces all damage by 1000 is a very good item too for Daiguard as all its attacks are Ammo based.

If you want to resupply with it, you need to give Akagi the ability to resupply after moving.

Also, for creatures that start taking 0 damage at low life, you just need to hit them hard to take them down because their Prevail skill is reducing the damage they take and things like DMs have barriers that reduce all damage under a certain amount.

Bebpo

Banned
Ken said:
How do I use it as a resupplier? Also, how do I set him up to defend effectively because my Dai-Guard isn't defending well at all.

Get the PP skill that lets him supply after movement. It's on the last page first one on top IIRC.

And yeah, Dai-guard is essential unit because there's only like 4 supply units in the entire game and they are all awful and totally useless outside supplying except Dai-guard who can supply on turn and then do hot blood good damage on a boss the next turn.

But anyhow, the game doesn't get any harder save the final boss stage. Imo the 2nd half of the game actually gets far easier because your best units start becoming ridiculously overpowered. There are very few "bad" main units in the game. So just upgrade the ones you like and keep using them so you get their ACE bonus (70 kills), lots of PP for good PP skills/stats and put money into their mech to get their weapons to lvl.5-10.

Top Bottom