• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

Also area 2:
Fuck me, where is this medicine?

I haven't found it yet, but (speculation)
I just know the medicine guy is going to kill the other guy. Other guy is just too positive to survive long :p

Naw, you find that quest objective behind a drone-locked door in the third area. Is an implant that slows down time for -5 health

Dude gives you a heal mk3 for it.

nynt9

I'm also a big fan of the souls games (played all of them several times since the release of demon's souls) and i still think there is some cool new stuff to be found in the surge.
I'm thankful for all games in this subgenre even if they don't reach the level of a dark souls.

This right here. The game is a good new challenger to the souls genre. It might not be as good as the real deal in some ways, but it has its own ideas and identity. I hate the mentality of the souls community where a good game in the genre that has some flaws is abject trash and the devs should kill themselves or something. It's ridiculous hyperbole. More games like this existing is a good thing and Deck13 have shown that they can learn from their mistakes, and this hopefully encourages other devs to make attempts at the genre as well.

deoee

I don't want to go through all of the OT just to not spoil the game too much 'if' I do end up buying it.

Could someone compare and contrast the fighting style with LoTF? When I picked that up it felt like playing a Tank build in souls which isn't my preferred style. How does The Surge play? Like a tank? Can you increase speed of movement at all?

Would really appreciate any input on just that please.

This game has tank builds yeah, but you can also choose armor which decreases stamina consumption and increases attack speed as a set bonus.

There's way faster weapons than in LoTF and it feels more direct and thought out.
Cutting limbs adds so much fun to fights :D

This game has tank builds yeah, but you can also choose armor which decreases stamina consumption and increases attack speed as a set bonus.

There's way faster weapons than in LoTF and it feels more direct and thought out.
Cutting limbs adds so much fun to fights :D

Thanks for the feedback.

That is very helpful.

Played for about two hours last night before bed. Despite not figuring out how to use the DLC rig, I'm loving this game. I'm definitely having a better time in the beginning than I did with Dark Souls 3

nynt9

Played for about two hours last night before bed. Despite not figuring out how to use the DLC rig, I'm loving this game. I'm definitely having a better time in the beginning than I did with Dark Souls 3

Yeah I've been meaning to ask this, how do we find the DLC items?

Also there's tons of customization with the implants.
You can be tanky, you can be someone who buffs his shit or uses the drone (which you can customize too).
You can get x amount of heal items, increase stamina etc.

Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity what is the game atmosphere like?

Part of what I really enjoyed with Souls is the wonderful, forbidding atmosphere that really added to the experience. I am coming into this game thinking it won't be as good, but hoping it has something there.

Opinions?

deoee

Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity what is the game atmosphere like?

Part of what I really enjoyed with Souls is the wonderful, forbidding atmosphere that really added to the experience. I am coming into this game thinking it won't be as good, but hoping it has something there.

Opinions?

I love the labyrinth style and interconnected levels.
Feels like Demon's Souls a bit. The Sci-Fi setting imo is nice but not everyones cup of tea.
can look very similar in areas.

h0tp0ck3t

how? i couldn't :)
I used the drone to draw one of them out to the steps then got a couple hits in with the weapon you get from PAX. When you attack him the other one will come out. If you go back to the hallway to ops they will run back to where they started. Rinse, Repeat, and pray lol. Also they don't respawn so go for the staff (right arm I think) then go for another body part on the second guy you can get their armor too

nOoblet16

I don't get it why is game only few GB...what were they thinking? And it supposed to be really short?
Eh? How is the game's size an issue? Yes they probably don't have as much texture data as other games due to less variation but other games that are 20-40GBs don't have 10-30GBs of texture data, majority of it is stuff like audio and baked rendering data.

Small size just means they rely almost completely on real time rendering than baking any data, it's a sign of a developer's technical ability if anything at all that their game doesn't need any baked rendering data !

T.O.P

Banned
Nghhhh i'm loving the combat so far! love the impact of the heavy weapons and the movesets are also pretty badass, dat roundkick!

Cannot wait to get back into the game after work

Roussow

This outdoors zone near the start of area 3 seems insane, those
3-legged robot
enemies practically one-shot you the few times I visited them in the second area. Now there's like 3 of them just wandering around without a care in the world.

Oh, and is anyone playing with "Combat Slowdowns" turned on? I figured it was just an option to implement hit-stop, by it gives you like half a second of slow motion on each hit.

Atomski

It's seems alright .. I'm getting a very mordern B teir game feeling from it. Which isn't a bad thing just don't feel like something a big publisher would green light today.

Dandte

Lol haters finally came last couple pages eh.

Sucks for them missing out on a great game.

Gamestop germany current 9.99 trade in offer features this game. I really like the Souls series. Didn't played bloodborne and Nioh yet. I like sci fi, but LoF was kinda meh so i'm worried i will get burned again.

derFeef

Gamestop germany current 9.99 trade in offer features this game. I really like the Souls series. Didn't played bloodborne and Nioh yet. I like sci fi, but LoF was kinda meh so i'm worried i will get burned again.

From what I gather through podcasts and impressions, people that were not that much ito LotF really enjoy this. They learned a lot and it's much more polished than their previous game.

bati

What armor and weapon is everyone using?
I'm currently trying out the Liquidator and while it looks nice the bonus isn't that great. Rhino feels a complete waste with this combat system. Lynx is amazing if you can keep your health high. Still trying to assemble Scarab and Gorgon. For weapons I keep coming back to the Vibro because it has good energy generation. For the robots I generally switch to the MG Negotiator because of its great reach.

Hasn't he played? I thought he had finished the game based on his posts in here.

Did notice this from another poster though:

Lol
What? You want to say that the environment and enemies won't be boring if I play the game? That I've judged before playing?
Yeah, I know what you say. And yeah, It's possible that I'll like gameplay or story when I play it. But some elements won't be different from those footages that I've watched. Plain and simple.

Tecnniqe

Banned
What armor and weapon is everyone using?
I'm currently trying out the Liquidator and while it looks nice the bonus isn't that great. Rhino feels a complete waste with this combat system. Lynx is amazing if you can keep your health high. Still trying to assemble Scarab and Gorgon. For weapons I keep coming back to the Vibro because it has good energy generation. For the robots I generally switch to the MG Negotiator because of its great reach.
MG Security with MG Legionnaire
. Looks badass and I like it too.

Theorry

What? You want to say that the environment and enemies won't be boring if I play the game? That I've judged before playing?
Yeah, I know what you say. And yeah, It's possible that I'll like gameplay or story when I play it. But some elements won't be different from those footages that I've watched.

You never know.

Well, thank god one of my friends bought the game and i've played it for 2,5 hours through Steam Family Sharing.

Firstly, i'd like to apologize before Deck13 guys. Yes, even though combat looked the same to me on multiple videos, but it's actually way different and much better than in Lords of the Fallen. Great job guys, you've clearly learned the lesson here. I just wish that saw like weapons worked like on Warhammer 40K: Space Marine from Relic - in this game you've feeled every hit and every limb which you've cutted (not to mention the sound of the saw-sword) but here.... it's sort of works that way only during combat finishing moves. I'm just saying that all of this could've made weapons like this a hell of a lot more satisfying to use.

And secondly, i just overall really liked what i've played. This game is way better than Lords of The Fallen at least in terms of combat system, can't say about everything esle though cuz i've played very little and i won't be playing more till I buy the game for my personal account but not for the full price, i'm sorry.

Djostikk

Lol haters finally came last couple pages eh.

Sucks for them missing out on a great game.

Well game is actually pretty bad at many aspects and very rough. Wouldn't recommend buying it at full price especially if you consider yourself as a true Souls fan.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The enviroments/enemies dont change depending on the player.....
It changes depending on story progression but I'd also bet playing it you won't focus nearly as much on some areas looks as you would watching something.

But whatever floats your boat, I've found a lot of variations and it fits the game which is more important than having 7 interconnected domes with every season and change ever.

Jingo

Critics and fans embraced Nioh and Salt and Sanctuary...

They didnt have the "lords of the fallen" previous game in mind, like it or not is the main decisive factor to judge this game, you just have to read the topics here on gaf and you ll see people saying exactly how i am saying.

*Splinter

The enviroments/enemies dont change depending on the player.....
I guess this is true. I can never fully understand this line of thinking as it's just not how I think about games. For example you could take Dark Souls and just reskin everything to look Sci Fi, or prehistoric, or Disney-themed, and to me it would still be more or less the same game, whereas for others the change in theme might completely stop them from enjoying the game.

Just a different way of looking at things really.

Well game is actually pretty bad at many aspects and very rough. Wouldn't recommend buying it at full price especially if you consider yourself as a true Souls fan.
Ahhh there it is! We made it 13 pages though, quite impressive I think :p

They didnt have the "lords of the fallen" previous game in mind, like it or not is the main decisive factor to judge this game, you just have to read the topics here on gaf and you ll see people saying exactly how i am saying.

fwiw i'd rather replay LOTF than Yaiba NGZ, so there was that going on in the minds of folks familiar with TN's previous outing >_>

luulubuu

Please, tell us what a Souls fan is without using these words;
-Buy
-Full
-Price
-Masterpiece
-Magnum Opus
-Perfect
-Pioneer

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So do y'all think it's as difficult and/or cheap as the reviews made it out to be?

Tecnniqe

Banned
So do y'all thibk it's as difficult and/or cheap as the reviews made it out to be?

The main take is that the focus here lies on every enemy, as they are not simply trash mobs. They are difficult and pulling big packs can be a death sentence however you can, be it by attacking at the right moment, targeting the right area (armored/unarmored) and using either heavy weapons for staggering or things like staffs with more reach to them, make swift work of most.

Difficult, but it have yet to feel cheap.

luulubuu

So what exactly is wrong to have a different opinion from others? I played the game and didn't enjoy my time with it.

It has that you came in the first place, to a thread of a game you didn't enjoy just to not only trash on the game, not only to say the bs of "true fans" but now you go defensive.

Dude, wear this because you need it to lift your salt
havels_ring.png

Tecnniqe

Banned
So what exactly is wrong to have a different opinion from others? I played the game and didn't enjoy my time with it.
What you're spouting isn't an opinion.
It has that you came in the first place, to a thread of a game you didn't enjoy just to not only trash on the game, not only to say the bs of "true fans" but now you go defensive.

havels_ring.png

D6l8fu1.gif

Its not about that. Its about that your opinion can change when you play.

I don't think so. Nier: Automata is a great game, I think. Before playing that, I was really worried about the environments and enemies. It was so empty and boring in the trailers and didn't changed while I was playing. I loved gameplay, music and story, but the universe and variety of enemies...
Some things never change.

*Splinter

I don't think so. Nier: Automata is a great game, I think. Before playing that, I was really worried about the environments and enemies. It was so empty and boring in the trailers and didn't changed while I was playing. I loved gameplay, music and story, but the universe and variety of enemies...
Some things never change.
But if you say it was a great game then aren't you glad you played it? Even though some parts (environments/enemies) were bland?

Or would you have preferred not to play it?

(Not criticising, just trying to understand. I also think Nier looks very dull.)

Djostikk

havels_ring.png

Woah, this one is really hard, but I appreciate that. Didn't intend to trash on the game, just happened that way. Perhaps the problem is me since I had different expectations. Have fun playing.

Top Bottom