• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch in Nintendo's Marketing Strategy

Mariolee

It may just be me, but it seems like for the last year there has been a noticeable change in Nintendo’s marketing strategies lately. To truly appreciate it, I feel that we need to look back at what they’ve done the past decade.

Back in 2006, the Wii launched to massive success. Along the way they had the iconic “Wii would like to play” commercial series. With this series, they were able to succinctly and expertly explain what made the Wii unique. Now, many people I have noticed on GAF and elsewhere aren’t the biggest fans of these commercials, but I believe they played a big role in sparking and sustaining the Wii’s presence in the cultural consciousness.

However, in 2008 they started making some questionable changes. The first of which that made everyone scratch their heads was the official change from classic Nintendo red to plain old grey for their logo. In an effort to perhaps get away from their kiddy nature and be more open to more demographics, they followed Apple’s cue and saturated the color right out. It’s sterile.

18j569qt0m1lajpg.jpg

I believe this signified the beginning of the end for Nintendo’s competency when it came to marketing. Whether it was increasingly bad E3 conferences or cutting off the goodwill of their most dedicated fans when it closed down the NSider Forums, their effort to explore more of this blue ocean left them drowning.

Then came the Wii U, and boy was it abysmal. At E3 2011 this is what they showed off, and it left people utterly confused. We see a tablet kinda like the UPlay Tablet, Wii games being played, some Wii controllers, OOH a new Zelda? Wait, it’s called Wii....U? So is it an extension of the new Wii that somehow adds processing power? What?

Journalists and gamers alike were confused after that press conference, and it was only downhill from there. The following E3 conference was disappointing (cue: Nintendoland fireworks), their initial batch of Wii U trailers didn’t come close to truly establishing that the console was separate despite the commercials emphasizing “new”, and even their showings on late night shows MADE THINGS EVEN MORE CONFUSING (source: Jimmy Fallon in 2011 right after they announced it and Jimmy in 2012 a year after announcement confused if it was a peripheral).

However a year ago, something changed. It was subtle, but significant.

In September 2015, Nintendo began ordering retail stores to change their Wii U and 3DS sections to just “Nintendo” and the best part: the return of red!

I believe this was the first step in getting back on track in terms of marketing for Nintendo. Throughout the rest of that year nothing too big popped up aside from a constant flow of Nintendo Directs and also introduced their new slogan “There’s No Play Like It” again emphasizing the red and fun.

Hell, even when people thought they were crazy for planning to hold an entire E3 with just one single game, Nintendo proved the naysayers wrong by having a critically acclaimed showing for Breath of the Wild. Not to mention their work with the incredible promotion and marketing that came with Pokemon Go and Pokemon’s 20th Anniversary in general.

The announcement and marketing of the Nintendo Switch pretty much solidified the distinct change from the old Nintendo. They fucking just dropped a 3 minute video with only one day's notice...and it WORKED. The thing about Switch’s marketing is that you can draw very direct comparisons between it and the Wii U’s. Even though they did similar things (Announcement trailers, dev buzz, Jimmy Fallon), Nintendo so far has handled these things far better than they did with Wii U.

The Switch’s commercial was clear, concise, and most importantly FUN. It opens up speaking to the core gamer who sits in the dark playing games. That’s me. Whereas there was only confusion for the Wii U, with Switch it’s clear from both the name and the video what it was all about. This obviously resonated with people as it became trending worldwide and on the official Nintendo channel has hit over 21 million views in little over a month while the first hit for the Wii U trailer hosted by IGN only has 11 million views (couldn’t find the actual announcement trailer on Nintendo’s Youtube channel). You can see how much excitement and chatter there is about the Switch from both fans and developers alike whereas there were far more reservations about the Wii U at this same time before it’s launch.

You can even see the difference by just watching Jimmy Fallon. Compare the video earlier where he confused whether or not the Wii U was a peripheral to the new video that came out tonight where he knew absolutely everything about the Nintendo Switch and was SHAKING in excitement. We also are seeing this bleed into this style of advertisment for their games like Super Mario Run.

Nintendo’s finally communicating right in my opinion.

Nanashrew

Banned
Nintendo's marketing in the Wii and DS era was brilliant though. Wii U and 3DS era, they had a new marketing VP (Scott Moffitt) who's now gone and there is no VP position anymore IIRC.

Way prefer the grey to the red. Grey made it look like edgy, super cool tech. Red doesn't capture the same sense of awe for me. But I don't see it as something worth being upset about for myself. Just a design decision I don't agree with, it's all good.

Really awesome though that the Switch is p clear about everything it sets out to do.

I have to imagine they looked hard at their messaging following the WiiU, and did everything possible to change gears. New ad agencies, creatives, whatever it took to change their mass media approach. Right now, they're in a good spot. They have some of the most iconic franchises in pop culture under their wing, and are deploying them in ways that are universally exciting. Pokemon GO got an entire generation of non-console gamers to deeply care about Pokemon, primarily by focusing on the original 151. They're drip feeding footage of Breath of the Wild into the world, clearly evoking modern open-world RPGs. Mario's being taken to mobile in a smart way.

All of it clearly communicated to the wider world, free of confusion or condescension.

It's very impressive.

In hindsight that Wii U commercial is funny in how similar it is to the Switch branding, but somehow much worse. It even uses the word "Switch" from TV to portable use. It does the same thing as someone who would want to watch TV while you're playing the Switch as well - but instead youd take it out of the dock now. I also noticed that almost everything shown looks or is a Wii game. Another thing they're banking on, the up ports. But again they're somehow much better, and they have BOTW as a huge hitter that the Wii U just never had. Couple that with Mario Switch that will be everything a month from now and they have a real winner mindshare wise.

Crayolan

I'm happy with the return to red. Though that may be partially because that's what I grew up with, Nintendo has always been red to me.

Nintendo has a clear internal vision for switch, and it's being shown in a limited but very directed choice of advertising.

We don't even know any of the games officially, but I can't imagine a world where this does anywhere near as poorly as Wii u. I believe they know what they're doing, far more than I could say about the Wii u.

Kthulhu

I think Nintendo figured out what to do around 2014, they just had to trickle out spinoffs and stuff until the Switch was ready for prime time.

Really? Shit.

edit: I just checked and it seems there's some conflicting info.

It depends on whether you're talking about light or art.

I would be down with having all the retail boxes for Switch games be glorious red. They have done it for a few games before, but it should be for all...

18j491w5rlsoqjpg.jpg

It might even stop me going full digital

Considering PS4 game boxes are blue, XBone Green, and Nintendo really emphasizing the return to red, good chance we see Nintendo go all in with the red game cases ala MK8?

sanstesy

This is nothing surprising or new for Nintendo.

They did the same thing between the Gamecube and Wii only going in a different direction and it worked out great.

Nanashrew

Banned
Nintendo has a clear internal vision forbswitxh, and it's being shown in a limited but very directed choice of advertising.

We don't even know any of the games officially, but I can't imagine a world where this does anywhere near as poorly as Wii u. I believe they know what they're doing, far more than I could say about the Wii u.

We also don't know all the features of the system as well. Unless you count some leaks, but not everyone does but the dedicated groups like us.

The way they're handling it is very good, and shows good signs of learning from the Wii U's marketing mishandling.

J@hranimo

Banned
Spot on Mariolee, I agree 100%

The past couple of months has really been exciting as far as the Reveal and the reasonable leaks about the system and the buildup to the January Event. Sometimes it takes a real kick in the ass to get back on track.

2017 is looking very promising.

GCX

Dont give all the credit to the new CEO, these plans were laid out by Iwata, him and Miyamoto more than rwo years ago, they had a mistep (or two) but now are back on track.
Iwata, Kimishima, etc. laid out the big picture and strategy. Refining the brand look and identity is more detail stuff that's planned together with a brand/ad agency.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I also have the feeling that Nintendo knows what it wants TO DO with the switch.

With the Wii U I always had the feeling that Nintendo was a little helpless themselves. That it was not really the machine they wanted to make.

Really? Shit.

edit: I just checked and it seems there's some conflicting info.

You're right when you're talking about additive colors (a.k.a the primary colors when it comes to something emitting light) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color

In art class most kids are told the primary colors are R/Y/B because you can use those to mix colors; though even that system can be considered outdated as magenta/cyan/yellow can be used to mix r/b/g colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_color#Subtractive_secondaries

I'd argue that R/B/G is actually a more solid choice to call "primary colors" than r/b/y, because the second one actually has strong competition within the group it belongs to.

ramparter

Banned
There are no primary and secondary colors. We just chose three and used them. We could have used yellow, cyan, magenta as primary, then red would be the result of mixing yellow and magenta etc.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I would actually argue the roots of this started way back when iwata introduced nintendo directs, the first year was a tad shaky but after that it became one of the strongest marketing strategies nintendo ever employed constantly getting millions of views for their games.

And it was all iwata's idea.

Mariolee

The NES Classic Mini has also a big part in this Nintendo come back under the spotlight plan

I can't believe I forgot about that. That is indeed an incredibly significant part of Nintendo using nostalgia to their advantage this year, and the marketing for that (what little there has been at least) has been pretty good too. Now they just...you know...need to actually make more.

I would actually argue the roots of this started way back when iwata introduced nintendo directs, the first year was a tad shaky but after that it became one of the strongest marketing strategies nintendo ever employed constantly getting millions of views for their games.

And it was all iwata's idea.

This is true. Nintendo Directs (as well as Iwata Asks) were and still are strokes of genius in terms of presenting and marketing as well. It's one of the few things Nintendo did right in marketing towards the end of the Wii era and throughout the Wii U era.

I don't think Fallon was being super genuine about that.

It seemed like he got paid to act all hyped about it to me like everything else.

It seemed like he got paid to act all hyped about it to me like everything else.

Yeah but that's Fallon's job. He gets super enthusiastic about EVERYTHING. Either way it's a good thing for Nintendo and the Switch.

jett

D-Member
You can even see the difference by just watching Jimmy Fallon. Compare the video earlier where he confused whether or not the Wii U was a peripheral to the new video that came out tonight where he knew absolutely everything about the Nintendo Switch and was SHAKING in excitement

Fallon is just on harder drugs these days.

rekameohs

Banned
The Wii U reveal needs to be archived forever as a lesson on exactly what not to do with an electronics product demonstration. Like seriously, it's pretty impressive.

They've done a good job with Switch thus far, but the important marketing phase is obviously still to come.

Mariolee

Sure, but when he's literally saying Reggie's marketing lines before Reggie even says them.

Fallon is just on harder drugs these days.

The thing is, harder drugs doesn't make you more knowledgable of facts. :p Jimmy knew more about the Switch than he knew of the Wii U one year after the Wii U was unveiled.

I would be down with having all the retail boxes for Switch games be glorious red. They have done it for a few games before, but it should be for all...

18j491w5rlsoqjpg.jpg

It might even stop me going full digital
I would love to see them go full red.

I was blown away by this beautiful beast the first time I saw it:

Doom-SNES-NTSC-1041428.jpg

Top Bottom