• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tartarus Syndrome [OT] Building Stranger Worlds, A Cyberpunk novel *WIP* Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IEhWK6U.png

Project title: The Tartarus Syndrome( Evolution= Epimetheus Rising -> The Tartarus Syndrome)

Originally conceived: 2011
Actually written:The bulk of the writing and editing thus far between Late 2014-to now(2017) and continuing until finished.
Release Date: 5/25/17
Author: David Diciedue AKA Royale Hunter Duke
Genre: Science Fiction/Horror
Short Description: A Cyberpunk Lovecraftian existentialist dystopian Detective story think Bladerunner x The Thing x Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas x True Detectives x Alien
  • CURRENT WORD COUNT(5/8/17): 90,000

Quotes from the writer:

"When it's Done, but faster than DNF and HL3."- Me
"Most Definitely better than Duke Nukem Forever."- Me

"The other thing I decided NOT to do with the book was include music lyrics and fictional bands that would appear at logical points in the story. The general theme for the music was loud, angry, punk rock like Iggy Pop and the stooges or The Weirdos, high energy, anti-establishment just like the gangs that inhabited the world. It would lend mostly just flavor, it didn't add anything in my opinion and made the book longer in spots that it didn't need to be.

Honestly I'd like to revisit the concept of doing two stories at once, instead of a story from one perspective.

The worlds of traditional cyberpunk have this pulpy punk rock coked out 70s mixed with 80s atmosphere of neon lights, and odd pastel or brightly lit clothing(although I am a sucker for the clothing of the new Deus Ex games goddamn), but the corporations have this very businessman like attire in comparison to the people on the street. They are homogenized, sterile in a sense.

Anyway, I don't feel like I've neutered my book in any sense really, I've made very careful decisions about what I think would work, and what I feel doesn't work or feels too ambitious for a first novel or doesn't fit this story. I also felt my original concept was nowhere near as meaningful, the modern day story felt like fluff in concept, it felt like it was just lead in for the more interesting science fiction world. So I cut out the middleman so to speak."- Me in a private message to another GAFfer who is reading my novel, talking about iteration and the current incarnation of my novel, the power of pop culture influences

"This book is part of a trilogy of books with similar themes.

Existentialism, loss, trauma, mental illness, the concept of past sins and things catching up to you the proverbial "ghosts of your past" haunting you, and how unpredictable and sometimes predictably bad or good life can be, sometimes it can be neither.

And of course, each book is a tribute to different writers and ideas.

The initial concept for the three stories started out simple enough.

A noirish detective story(The Tartarus Syndrome)(Almost Finished, ETA: 2016 or early 2017. More likely 2017)
A classic Haunted House story(Picture Perfect)(Started)
A Lovecraft Story( TBA, either "The Haunter of The Dark" or "The Clockwork Horror")(Started)

The first story, is a tribute to cyberpunk, dystopian fiction, science fiction, pulpy and dramatic detective stories, and of course Lovecraft.

The second story is a tribute to Stephen King and Clive Barker.

The third story is me putting on my best Lovecraft hat and going to town.

Anyway, given my new diagnosis... I feel invigorated to try to see if I can finish all the books and maybe do a compilation of short stories and prototypes for free." Me, also prattering on about my novel to the same GAFffer. :p

• I. Introduction AKA a foreward from the unpublished author

Welcome, thank you for taking your time to come to this thread, read it and laugh at the terrible art created by me as the header.

I lack drawing skills. I'm a writer.

A bunch of people in This Thread, expressed interest in seeing me make a progress thread, I took awhile to think about it and asked the mods if it was okay.
It's fine apparently.

I've decided I want to go the full monty and get this done, for real, instead of just letting things get in the way. I guess I'm kinda emboldened by the fact I've had two cancer scares in the last two years, and the fact that at this specific point in time, the only way my life will get worse is if I lose my pc and become homeless. Which either of those things are perfectly possible.

Anyway this isn't a pity party, I want to give back to literature because when I had nothing I always had a book. As a kid When my parents didn't want to hear about how badly I'd been bullied every single day, at least I had a few Lovecraft books, an a complete collection of Edgar Allan Poe's work, and a library within walking distance.

My whole life people have told me to write books, that I'm a great writer, that I should put something out. Well, now is that time. I came up with this idea a few years ago, but I had been thinking about what I wanted to write for my first novel for years. I chose a simple enough idea at first, I wanted to do science fiction and horror as the genre, I wanted to do a detective story.

The initial concept was a sort of anthology type story(like True Detectives or other Anthology type books and series), a modern day story that set up another story that ran alongside it in the far distant dystopian future, two protagonists linked by fate and distant relations. In the end I settled just on one time period, the setting I felt was more interesting from the getgo which was the one we have for the book now. I also felt for a first novel it felt almost too ambitious, and I didn't want to make a novel with cool ideas and occasionally good execution, I wanted to make something that people would remember and that I could feel proud of. I wanted to give back what literature had given me, fond memories and the creative spark, the vast lands of imagination.

So, on a sunny sunday afternoon six years ago while watching a marathon of Alien, The Thing, and Bladerunner(Both Final Cut and Workprint), Watchmen DC, and having reread several science fiction books, short stories, and novellas prior to that(Fahrenheit 451, Neuromancer, 1984, Lovecrafts entire catalogue, Philip K, Dick, Jeff Somers, Altered Carbon, and Who Goes There? to name a few) I thought about a simple story.

This is the journey I want to share with this community as we ride that train into the station and off the rails into the stratosphere. This is a log of my hopes and dreams, my ideas and thoughts,

Maybe it might even inspire other writers to come out and do their own thing.

Maybe it will give me something to look forward to everyday.

At least I will get to say "I did that". For better or for worse.

The other thing was that some of my favorite science fiction stories also comment on humanity in one way or multiple ways. I think a human story that leads to a bigger picture, that is embroiled in the struggles of the character but as well as the world are tantamount things to consider when creating great science fiction.

Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 wouldn't be half as important if they weren't relevant commentary on their times and where the author felt things were heading. To this day both of those books have stuck with me as profound, scathing indictments of the future.

2ndxNbt.png

Synopsis
The Year is 2245.

It has been almost 150 years since The Fall, during which over three quarters of the Earth was bathed in nuclear fire after years of world wide entrenched conflict, socio-economic oppression, and terror.
The rich and the warmongerers of the world finally gave into the age old human born instinct of self-destruction.

One man couldn’t let it alone, and saved Humanity in its darkest hours. He saved Earth, and spread humanity throughout the universe.

The rich Elite are being killed off by the hundreds in horrific and mysterious, ritualistic ways...the culprit is a dead man, and it all links back to the sins of one man.

Now, a disgruntled, haunted, and dishonored Ex Galactic Metropolitan Police Detective named Frank Boelin finds himself back on the job unexpectedly, staring down the barrel of Deinstatement or atoning for past sins becoming a free man, set for redemption.

Though not everything as it seems, as things take a turn for the strange and Boelin finds himself questioning not only his station in life, but reality itself as a conspiracy as large as the stars themselves consumes him.

The road to redemption is often paved through Hell, and need it not be said that we are all responsible for creating the very hell we must ride through to save ourselves.

Bored yet? No?

Yes? Sorry. :(

6kon1TB.png

tumblr_nscbyjom0h1qc3ju8o1_540.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_me9qxvW7ae1qg39ewo1_500.gif

tumblr_lr2nrvHUYo1r2hzh6o1_500.gif

tumblr_lr2nvdsL4y1r2hzh6o1_500.gif

tumblr_me7ykg1Nvl1qavwd8.gif

tumblr_lr2npj9f9q1r2hzh6o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

TimelyVengefulCuscus.gif

tumblr_m4we6hHgW91qbxh0uo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_o6xohg89HN1uxpv1ro1_500.gif

8.gif

yZHJ7X.gif

tumblr_nvygvzZH5T1sbqrlmo2_500.gif

tumblr_mjgo9udztb1s5jj9bo1_500.gif

tumblr_nvygvzZH5T1sbqrlmo4_500.gif

the-thing-sick-dog.gif

tumblr_nb95d0vrxt1s1v3r1o1_500.gif

tumblr_lhsim6kf3B1qg39ewo1_500.gif

tumblr_n466prF48B1qcga5ro1_500.gif

tumblr_nhu3tlSFk61r1obbno1_500.gif

96247ba7dfcca0e766117e0a15fc4f2b.jpg

tumblr_lf9olfIQKE1qe6mn3o1_500.gif

latest

alien_background.jpg

eggsilo.png

derelictcorridor.png

hr_giger_schacht_i.jpg

10499794_1.jpg

alien-jockey.png

Derelict+spacecraft+entrance.jpg

h-r-giger-untitled.jpg

h-r-giger-untitled.jpg

RoyaleDuke said:

tumblr_nscbyjom0h1qc3ju8o9_540.gif

Well there you go. We're on the journey.

This is gonna be a a hell of a ride for all of us, and I hope you join me on it.

General Update:

We've hit 50K words! It feels like it is getting close to the end but there is still plenty of ground to cover.

I'm entering this yet again into the NaNoWriMo competition to see if maybe I can get this out or at least finished into a first rough draft this year.

Here is the NanoWrimo Link

Either way, I hope you guys stay tuned.

Good luck! I'm excited to see the finished product!

Thanks man! I am too, I just hope that I can nail everything.

At the end of the day I just want to give back to literature, to culture, to people.

I'm going to try working very hard on creative things, even if I am sicker than a dog.

I want to do these novels.

I want to start a classic style Punk band, and do some music stuff in general.

Activism.

Just a general update, 12/28/16.

So, I've been incredibly sick with Bronchitis and Strep, so I haven't gotten what I wanted done. I have been doing some work today and currently we are still on track for release in March of 2017, I should have the first rough draft done by mid to early January.

From there editing and revisions, and I would ask the editors of GAF for help if they have it to spare! Thanks in advance!

As we get closer to release, the fires of creation still fan ever higher! I look forward to finishing this book if only to start on my next project, Picture Perfect which should hopefully be done and possibly released by the end of this year or first quarter 2018.

Anyway, please stay tuned and please stay excited!

2/18/2017:

Through much trial and tribulation comes the sweet fruition of work.

Though much toiling work remains.

hqdefault.jpg

Of course replace 48 Hours with however amounts to 10 days left till release(unless it is a leap year).

As a general update we are almost done with the first rough draft and I'm sitting at 65k words. Wew. Still only a few chapters left.

Then revision and editing until I have it in an releasable state for March 1st.

Can he do it in 10 days? I can certainly try.

EDIT: 3/19/2017

Wew, an extrememely productive day got me up to 70k. Almost done guys! The home stretch really! I'm doing it.

Thought I would post a little update since it has been awhile.

4/10/17

I've almost hit close to a 100k words now, working on the final chapters and some early revision work. I figure it should be ready to release by summer, June 15th,2017 at the latest. I really need someone that would like to create the official OT when it releases.

Since time is a theme in one of my favorite works, here is a blatant opportunity to waggle it.
doomsday-clock.jpg

We're almost there. :D

And it won't end there, please look forward to my future novels especially the next one that should be coming late 2017, Picture Perfect, and for 2018 should the world not erupt in flames, I have for fans of Lovecraftian horror a traditional lovecraftian tale in anthology format that weaves a mystery through the trenches of world war I, to the rural eastern USA. This is a trilogy of thematically linked works I call the trilogy of Pain, I've been reluctant to announce it but I feel invigorated in my creative duties. I hope to continue my output for as long as the world stands and I am able.

Thank you to everyone on GAF who've followed along, and of course to the Mods for allowing this thread to be here.
A special thanks goes to SQR and Pigeon Interrupted as well as TheTrin. Your constant praise and feedback has been insurmountable to building my confidence into what I've created. Thank you.

So we're into revisions now which means prepping my novel, checking it over for readability and errors as well as formatting it so that it appears correctly in Print and digital formats.

Yeah, you heard that right, Physical format option. :D

I found out that kindle publishing also offers paperbacks that are printed on demand per order basis to customers.

So, as for release date I have a tentative release of June 30th,2017 that said it could come earlier! And I will let whoever offers to do the OT for when it releases, know in advance when or if the date changes.

I also would like you to look forward to a spooky haunted house tale this fall, and spooky lovecraftian haunted trenches next year.

This thread is suited to my interests

Are you only planning to release digitally on Kindle? (Not sure if you'd be on Nook/B&N)

This thread is suited to my interests

Are you only planning to release digitally on Kindle? (Not sure if you'd be on Nook/B&N)

Exclusively in print and kindle on amazon for now. No plans to move for Brick and Mortar or Nook at the moment.

I knew you were working on a novel, OP, but never knew what it was until now. Gonna sub and pick up a copy when it's out.

Thanks. :D I hope you enjoy it and thanks for the sub!

Cyberpunk & Lovecraftian nice, caught my attention OP, good luck & subbing to this thread to read later.

Thanks! I am so glad I caught the attention of some people at least. Thank you kindly, for the sub.

Subscribed. Great work passing a threshold few people can, OP. When your book is ready, you can bet I'll be ready to support it. Also empathize as a fellow depressed writer with a messy room.

So, Release date update! The release date is now next thursday, 5/25/17. since I'm almost done editing. Thank fucking heavens.

No need to wait a month if it is done, and I'd rather not have to worry about it now since I am focusing on Picture Perfect, my next novel.

Good luck chief, I know how hard this is :/

Haha, thanks man. The second novel is coming along much easier and faster.

Subscribed. Great work passing a threshold few people can, OP. When your book is ready, you can bet I'll be ready to support it. Also empathize as a fellow depressed writer with a messy room.

Man that last part made me feel a lot better, I'm not alone haha.

Thanks for the patronage and for the sub. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom