• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are characters personalities and original writing being replaced by unified political views? Is escapism dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, as one of the resident wokes, I'll bite.

I guess my general thesis is that if we take gaming as an artform (which it is) it is terribly naive for us to continue to expect that it somehow could (or even should) remain an avenue simply for escapist fantasies. The more mature this medium becomes, the more varied the stories will become. And that's okay. That's what's supposed to happen. The tent is big enough that people with varied interests can purchase and enjoy games that match those interests.

Honestly, the constant whining because someone may not like that a game may have a political agenda or leaning is getting old. The gaming environment you want is gone. Music, movies, television, books, comics, paintings, poetry, and every other artistic medium out there has its fair share of politically driven and informed work. Politics touches many lives and since art often reflects the experiences of the artists, it only makes sense that politics would very much be on the table when creating videogames.

So just like with every other art form, you will continue to get your pure escapism, but it shouldn't be surprising in the slightest that as the medium matures, artists will want to do something besides only escapist entertainment. Speaking of what the artists want to do, this idea that artists don't want to create more inclusive art that highlights specific communities is also kind of getting old. Like, if a game does something that doesn't agree with one's expectations, it must automatically be something that was forced on the creators instead of the intentions of the creators themselves. Is it so hard to believe that people want to make games that don't appeal to you specifically?

I get that some don't like heavy handed bad story telling, but that's hardly the fault of the politics and more to do with bad writing. And if we're being honest, we're dealing with a very reactionary community where some are triggered by the mere existence of a pride flag existing in a recreation of New York City. As though pride flags don't exist in New York City. Omitting it, honestly, would be more politically motivated than including it.
If every corporation, bank, politician, institution, news outlet and social media platform is pushing exactly the same message it most likely isn't an artistic vision.

Yall need to move away from Western media/entertainment. It's toast.

Games: Plenty of incredible Japanese/Korean/Chinese titles

Film: Korean (subtitled) movies/shows and anime.

Just walk away, it's joever.
This is true but it makes me so sad. I like the West. I think it is the superior culture. I hate that it wastes time and energy and youth with this crap.

This is true but it makes me so sad. I like the West. I think it is the superior culture. I hate that it wastes time and energy and youth with this crap.
It WAS superior, but now I think it's up for grabs. We are witnessing the slow, inevitable collapse of western society. One small piece at a time. The faster the good folks in society realize this and plan/prepare accordingly, the less chaotic the collapse will be.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It WAS superior, but now I think it's up for grabs. We are witnessing the slow, inevitable collapse of western society. One small piece at a time. The faster the good folks in society realize this and plan/prepare accordingly, the less chaotic the collapse will be.
oh come on. This is ridiculous. the United States and European Union are still some of the richest areas in the world and still control much of the global stage. The only non Western country with as much power as the US and EU is China.

The West won't be falling apart anytime soon. Maybe superseded as the #1 global superpower by something else, but if that happens it sure as hell isn't gonna be because of fucking wokeness.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
FromSoft, CDPR, Larian, Nintendo. That’s mainly what I go with.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

unlurkified

(Warning: PLEASE BEHAVE! this is not a homophobic or racist thread. It's not about that but effects of forced politics on our games)
Last post on this by @Vick (sweet baby inc thread) was locked due to some craziness but I want us to have good place to discuss this or at least highlight which games are secretly doing this.
I think this is very important topic and very worrying what is happening to our games. We are being used and manipulated and we are paying for it!
Is escapism dying?

Is the vision and originality of gaming storytelling and personalities of characters being destroyed? There are thankfully still Elden Rings and Death Strandings but for how long? How long is THE AUTHEUR going to have his say?

Studios are looking for writing help. It might be overall story or just side plots/characters but they turn out to outsourcing. And that outsourcing (in this example sweetbabyinc) goal is not to enrich the story and make the game better.
Their Goal is to secretly input their agenda and world views into games. And this is very dangerous to quality of games and frankly, to you, the player. Unknowingly, your world view stops being your own.
The game stops being escapism and fantasy story but a vessel for politically driven agendas. Your favorite characters are used and manipulated to do this.
Gaming is my fav thing ever and this is personally very worrying.
Now, Alan Wake 2 (despite my criticism) is an ok game. I was having an overall good time with it but as I've realized, by the last few hours of the game and even after finishing it - I was bamboozled. I was used. I felt cheated. "It's not the original story I wanted from sequel to one of my fav games and my long awaited sequel was used to change my views".
It took me some time but once you realize that. Once you notice what is going on, you see how easy it is to sneak these things near you. Even in a relatively good game, these are political agendas of other people.

These writer people HAVE ALL THE RIGHT to their views but I didn't consent to be a receiving end of their exclusive views. Not in video games.
It feels sickening to me personally that I pay 60-70$ or a game only to realize that for the past 20 hours I was being brainwashed. Maybe that's overexaggerating but t's happening little by little.

Obviously it doesn't matter at all what race Saga Anderson from Alan Wake 2 is. But what matters is her role in the story and that she is a Mary sue because of what race and sex she is. It is disgusting how manipulative an sexist it is once you think about it.
Or gow ragnarok. I was partially fine with Atreus parts although they really had to turn him into this naively goody two shoes. But who is looking forward to replaying the game with all the Angrboda and atreus secitons? I bet you 100% that Kratos and God of war franchise are parting ways to make room for this.
What about ratchet? He lost all the edge. It didn't use to be like this.
Hogwarts Legacy is a weird one. I don't know is SBI helped because that crowd hates this game but it is very inclusive game which in my opinion does not ruin it. It doesn't get in a way of the game.
And there are ton of examples (I didn't play spider man 2) but the point is not to shit on your fav games but to show that it is in a ton of games. Small bits here and there manipulating you.
And by the end of this process or maybe even now, you are ok with all of this. But is this truly your world view? Or is this a world view implanted in your mind? (Alex Jones signs out!)

(Lol I know it's way overdramatic but I had a good flow writing this. I am honestly a bit worried. Of course the post sounds a bit hyperbolic but there is something afoot)

What’s your verdict on Forspoken? Did Amy Hennig and co. consult the Panderstone?

A lot of people want to point at Miles Morales as a good example of a minority lead role that’s done right (i.e not forced for representation’s sake), but I find his character a little uninteresting. I remember his creator even said they wanted to make an Obama-esque character, so maybe it fits in the realm of forced.

I think Uncharted Legacy is an example where it was done right cuz the devs didn’t mention anything about DEI surrounding the game.

I think if a dev just narratively hits it out of the park with a minority role, the complaints will die down.

Last edited:
oh come on. This is ridiculous. the United States and European Union are still some of the richest areas in the world and still control much of the global stage. The only non Western country with as much power as the US and EU is China.

The West won't be falling apart anytime soon. Maybe superseded as the #1 global superpower by something else, but if that happens it sure as hell isn't gonna be because of fucking wokeness.
Wokeness holds the seeds of our destruction. No civilzation that sees its past as a sin has a future.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
the only thing worse than ideology is homogeneity. unfortunately, it's the latter that sweet baby brings to the former. thanks to them, you're not just getting various ideological perspectives from various games, you're getting identical perspectives. it is, indeed, unprecedented, totally unnecessary, &, considering the studios are actually paying for it, weird as hell...
This is so spot on. It's short but very-very sweet. It is what it is.

Raonak

Banned
Everybody who downplays the danger of wokeness always uses the same self-satisfied reductionist language. It's an unserious argument.
Wow, you're actually like SCARED of "wokeness/diversity".
Like do you actually get nightmares? Or do you just get the nervous around interracial couples?

Regardless, I love how unhinged you are, keep it up!

Last edited:
I never played the 2nd Wolfenstein game cause of the chick rocking the Hammer and Sickle pin without censure, told me everything I needed to know about the game. Same with Disco Elysium with the devs who praised one of humanities most notorious mass murderers.

Have the self respect enough to not patronize these people.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No civilzation that sees its past as a sin has a future.
Does Japan not have a future then? Because many Japanese are not exactly very proud of the WW2 warcrimes.... How about Germany? I guess they're going to die off soon since they wouldn't be proud of the Nazis. You LEARN from the past, not glorify it. That's why history is taught. We want to preserve the good parts of past culture and remove the shite parts.

Moreover I fail to see how western society hates its past. The US glorifies 1776 to no end, romanticizing the ever living fuck out of its colony and early days. Western society's past is one of the most celebrated things about it.

Everybody who downplays the danger of wokeness always uses the same self-satisfied reductionist language. It's an unserious argument.
Because this is genuniely stuff a troll would say. "wokeness will cause the fall of western civilization." How is a normal person supposed to take this seriously? Even to conservatives, a couple SJWs wouldn't ruin the US. they got their guns.

If every corporation, bank, politician, institution, news outlet and social media platform is pushing exactly the same message it most likely isn't an artistic vision.
Perhaps what you see as a message being pushed is in reality the new mainstream cultural norm for the majority, or at least a growing plurality, of people?

Star Trek TOS pushed a message that prompted the same kind of backlash in the late 60s as many of the titles mentioned in the OP do today, except we look back at TOS with our modern lens and see nothing that would be out of the ordinary to us.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
These mechanically repeated defenses that "gaming is just getting more diverse" (eg. Raonak Raonak and radewagon radewagon on this page) are borderline incoherent in their denial of the obvious.

Game narrative are decidedly not becoming more "diverse" in any meaningful sense of that word. If you read the overall complaint voiced by many across this thread, it is a recognition of saturated uniformity across all corporate gaming. You can't miss it; every single game now takes place against the same familiar current-year-thinking backdrop, the same narrowly restricted moral horizon and worldview, the same sense that its authors were born in a test tube ten minutes ago with no memory of even one decade prior. You can predict the dialogue lines about to be delivered by nearly every character, and you can know in advance who will be heroic or a villain by plotting their position on this simplistic moral spectrum of identities and victimhood.

In other words, the complaint in this thread (and others) is that gaming is now drowning in a corporate-enforced uniformity of thought, value, and expression all the way down, where it begins to feel like the same HR-like committee is in the room writing every genre. That's the opposite of "diversity" if the word carries any weight at all.

Of course, that's the thing about "diversity" as a progressive political aim--it has always been a fraud. It's always a marker of either intentional dishonesty or self-deception when used as it has been in this thread, and we can leave the question open as to which.

Genuine diversity of values has never been the goal of the progressive approach to the world--it's the thing it obsessively tries to eliminate. It does so with the simple trick of trying to overlap so many kinds of edge cases that any one human axis of difference can be subsumed under others. Eg.: men and women actually have different approaches to the world and interests? Well, we can blur that line by inverting the female characters in every scene, bundling a series of disorders under "trans" to create a convenient victim-weapon, and recasting sexual difference as "body types." Now this human barrier of difference is overcome. Or, races and groups have disparate histories and sometimes distinctive cultures? We can just mix up all characters with a random palette-swap generator even in historical-setting games, to blur the lines so that any realities of difference fade into a blur.

The only goal is to create a kind of bland individualism where we're all just picking little meaningless pieces to cobble together for a harmless consumer identity ("oh, I'm a menstruator who is pansexual") where all the genuine, hard lines of human difference are softened and neutered by their reduction to a random skin or costume. Real human differences are the very thing this approach desires to obfuscate and hide, both at the biological level (sex, strength, intelligence differences between individuals) and at the cultural level ("diversity is our strength" means a fantasy like "even the nominally Muslim family next to me watches superhero nonsense and wants legalize abortion"). They hate when real diversity of viewpoint emerges, like when Muslim immigrant parents strongly protested against trans propaganda in their US schools.

so, would you want more games to tackle the discrimination and injustices found in the real world? wouldn't that be pretty woke as well? Why bring attention to them if the medium is used purposely for escapism?
my point is that woke ideology is already fundamentally a form of escapism - a fantasized re-imagining/remaking of reality. the insertion of it into 'escapist' games is only the intrusion of a 'preferred' form of escapism into another, & has nothing whatsoever to do with making a game more 'mature', but simply with making it espouse a particular viewpoint...

i'm not personally all that interested in having more genuinely 'mature' content in games, or what that'd entail, & don't, therefore, have any opinions on that one...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
there is always an agenda when creating art. 10,000 games were released on steam in 2022 what percentage of those games are political? are We taking about the 4 or 5 major releases from AAA or 1st party studios? can’t take a handful of games and then make a claim that this is the agenda of an entire industry.
Is the big games that represent the industry and are played by most

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What’s your verdict on Forspoken? Did Amy Hennig and co. consult the Panderstone?

A lot of people want to point at Miles Morales as a good example of a minority lead role that’s done right (i.e not forced for representation’s sake), but I find his character a little uninteresting. I remember his creator even said they wanted to make an Obama-esque character, so maybe it fits in the realm of forced.

I think Uncharted Legacy is an example where it was done right cuz the devs didn’t mention anything about DEI surrounding the game.

I think if a dev just narratively hits it out of the park with a minority role, the complaints will die down.
You can see they tried being modern or something in forspoken because every major character is a woman. Every boss you fight is a woman.
But ai don’t feel as bad about it. It fits the game and you don’t discuss race or sex. They are women just so. Like matriarchs.
So it’s a clunky Japanese “let’s try to fit modern trends” and actually failing to hit the woke spot :p

CGNoire

It's happening across all entertainment, not just gaming.

Every character is completely ruined by it. You can predict the way the game will treat them (hero or villain) based on a cursory glance at how they align with the current grid of protected classes and elevated personas.

It also ruins the reality of human differences and creates a nonsensical world where we're just random body parts and assemblies without any unifying patterns. Sex is decomposed into "body types" to blur the lines, strength will be uncoupled from sex etc, and you'll consistently see every character with a profession just happen to be the least historically likely for that person (you'll meet overwhelming numbers of female pilots and engineers on games like Starfield). Because they write everything backwards. Not "this character has this general composition and body and sex, so we'll usually make their personality align reasonably with it according to normal human patterns" but instead "any assumption you might make about them needs to be inverted or else it's harmful." So damn tiring.
But will it ever end?

Honestly, one of the most detrimental things to happen to gamedev was when computer science nerds/geeks, with little life experience, discovered politics and somehow got it through their heads that they can solve all the world's problems through activism in video games. Its ridiculous.

Its even more absurd how some developers seemingly treat escapism as a negative now or look down on it. Its even more bewildering when some of these giga brain western (US) developers consider or believe it has no place in video games. It doesn't help when the mainstream game press keeps perpetuating this nonsensical notion either.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
"diversity" = condescendingly telling Latinos that the correct word, the one that keeps the upper-class progressive whites happy, is "Latinx" so please use it and suppress your actual gendered culture and language

"diversity" = every game or movie sooner or later trots out the totem of the strong-bald-black-female, paraded around like a minstrel show to embody all the tribal power of femininity that white progressive women need to feel, but can only do so through the fetish of the black woman's performance

"diversity" = absolute hegemony of a certain cultural niche dominant in certain affluent US circles, so that even something like the US bishops of the Methodist church will try to lecture and suppress the overwhelming majority of conservative African bishops in the conference, and tell them to get in line with very-white 2020s sexual ethics

"diversity" = every body configuration is the same, even in D&D your characters races and sexes are just costumes with no meaning

"diversity" = plainly evil and cynically profit driven corporations like Disney eat up all IP into a monopoly that embodies the worst ends of consumerism, but with one weird trick (a long series of sex / race swaps in remakes) the "progressive" crowd loves and defends this corporation like a patriotic duty

"diversity" = telling every other emigrating culture how important their lived experiences are, but actually believing that the traditional cultures from which most immigrants come are backwards relics to be eliminated by proper re-education, and a good use of NGOs to funnel the cash to remake their home nations

etc

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That's cool, it's your opinion. I wasn't replying to you. Was talking to the guy who said that they're boring, predictable and unchallenging because I don't agree.
And I also don't agree with you. Tough luck Chuck. If you are hoping I will present an essay that will change your mind forever it isn't going to happen. You clearly like games grounded in realism. And that's perfectly fine. But gamers such as Danjin and I do not find realism all that engaging and find more meaning in a video game that has a unique setting, plot and fun gameplay.

I will grant you realistic games are challenging. Challenging to get into. But that seems to be more a preference.

----------------

A question I would ask about diversity(which only serves to divide people instead of unify them) is are these political themes making the games play better? Are the staff involved talented at the job they are doing or are companies just hiring people that have certain superficial traits that have no relation to the job at hand? Probably not.

Seems more like this corporate agenda only serves to inhibit creativity as these corporations have clearly made secret handshakes with other companies for money. It's just that gaming is used as a media outlet to spread whatever message they want to spread.

Eiknarf

Banned
I know they race swapped Saga, but… What Happened At The End Of Alan Wake 2 that it’s woke?

Was Alan a trans? Did he have a secret boyfriend ?

I didn’t finish the game. Wasn’t having fun with the game. Waste of $70

CDPR used to be like this but they changed around the time of Witcher 3 and once Teyon expands so will they. Basically you gotta hire artists, engineers and designers. These tend to come from Universities and Unis are one of the most politically left institutions in the West, this isn't a fault, it is simply nature. The kind of people attracted to being faculty and teachers tend to be quite left leaning. Progressive views then concentrate within the Unis and the Unis teach the young how to think and feel about the world. Those same students then spread their beliefs once hired.
I really hope Teyon doesn't bend and compromise on their creative integrity if they choose to expand. If anything, they should rather analyze, learn and understand from their post-mortem on why and how their game achieved this success/adoration while standing their ground instead of submitting to unwarranted pressure. Their success most certainly did not have anything to do with injected political nonsense.

Last edited:

radewagon

These mechanically repeated defenses that "gaming is just getting more diverse" (eg. Raonak Raonak and radewagon radewagon on this page) are borderline incoherent in their denial of the obvious.

Game narrative are decidedly not becoming more "diverse" in any meaningful sense of that word. If you read the overall complaint voiced by many across this thread, it is a recognition of saturated uniformity across all corporate gaming.
Gaf is in many ways an echo chamber. Seeing your opinions reflected in others doesn't necessarily validate them the way you think it does. You are lamenting uniformity of thought while nestled within the warm embrace of uniformity of thought.

It's all just preference. Like I said in my post. Gaming's a big enough tent. Play what you like and ignore what doesn't appeal to you. If you want to see, conversely, a contagious hivemind dangerously spreading, then I guarantee that you'll see just that. Echo chambers and confirmation biases will show you whatever you want. That's their whole thing.

Raven117

the single weirdest aspect of woke ideology is that the vast majority of people supporting it very obviously don't actually believe it. it's like the emperor's clothes story, except the emperor's espousing woke ideology, & everyone's going "oh yeah, yeah, this all makes perfect sense!"...

so, while i agree with you, i also think that anything short of collapsed sales figures will, despite this, only result in more of the same. unless, of course, whatever the fuck mysterious momentum that manages to keep this moronic woke boat afloat finally itself experiences its long-overdue (as in, self-parody levels of stupid right now) collapse...
Yeah. You are probably right with the sales figures dropping.

It may take a bit longer because video games can get by on gameplay alone… stories are often afterthoughts….

Some of those folks I think know deep down so much of it is bs, but there are some true believers….but that’s another topic.

That's hardly new, brainwashing inside a story.
What else do you think "moral of the story" were in all fairy tales? The grimm stories or any folklore entertainment are non religious but do pretty much the same as the bible, tora and quran, just outright calling wonders fantasy and applying kinda similar lessons to different situations.

I dislike stuff pushed down my throat, which includes eg Spec Ops trying to make me feel guilty for a choice I had no choice at all in or supposed bad characters being predominantly kinda good in almost every pseudo depressive but thoughtful often almost enlightened drivel. Characters should be flawed, even psycho- and sociopathic if a story requires it, not everything should be pushed towards doing good deeds and an happy or bittersweet forgiving ending for a douche criminal.
Movies especially the supposed blockbusters also are on a similar path. Only books and tv-show seem to take risks in having assholes and fucked up worlds where good is losing. Games seem to not want to risk offending people, ie not anyone, once you as a writer and game director hold back even a bit a ton of stuff becomes impossible, and the result is often too safe and the lack of a daring, boundary pushing identity is obvious.

GymWolf

Yeah thank god we still have masterpieces of writing like cringe stranding and vaatyvidya recap number 345 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But yeah modern AAA gaming writing is mostly terrible, especially in AAA games.

tinear

Banned
Christ, what a ridiculous thread. Having gay people or black people in games is not “shoving wokeness down our throats”. Stop gaming and go and watch The Sound of Freedom if it bothers you that much.

Kupfer

Studios are looking for writing help.

Your starting premise is wrong. Well, technically it’s right.

They don’t need help to write good stories.

They need help from companies like Sweet Baby Inc to game their ESG scores and attract investment from companies like BlackRock.

That’s all it is.

Fuck the companies that employ them, or enjoy your terribly written shoe horned shite.
Is there a way to identify games which make use of ESG scores, like looking at the box and see : "Aaah it's ESG rated *something*", so I can put it back to the shelf and looking for a game without this stuff?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

(Warning: PLEASE BEHAVE! this is not a homophobic or racist thread. It's not about that but effects of forced politics on our games)
Last post on this by @Vick (sweet baby inc thread) was locked due to some craziness but I want us to have good place to discuss this or at least highlight which games are secretly doing this.
I think this is very important topic and very worrying what is happening to our games. We are being used and manipulated and we are paying for it!
Is escapism dying?

Is the vision and originality of gaming storytelling and personalities of characters being destroyed? There are thankfully still Elden Rings and Death Strandings but for how long? How long is THE AUTHEUR going to have his say?

Studios are looking for writing help. It might be overall story or just side plots/characters but they turn out to outsourcing. And that outsourcing (in this example sweetbabyinc) goal is not to enrich the story and make the game better.
Their Goal is to secretly input their agenda and world views into games. And this is very dangerous to quality of games and frankly, to you, the player. Unknowingly, your world view stops being your own.
The game stops being escapism and fantasy story but a vessel for politically driven agendas. Your favorite characters are used and manipulated to do this.
Gaming is my fav thing ever and this is personally very worrying.
Now, Alan Wake 2 (despite my criticism) is an ok game. I was having an overall good time with it but as I've realized, by the last few hours of the game and even after finishing it - I was bamboozled. I was used. I felt cheated. "It's not the original story I wanted from sequel to one of my fav games and my long awaited sequel was used to change my views".
It took me some time but once you realize that. Once you notice what is going on, you see how easy it is to sneak these things near you. Even in a relatively good game, these are political agendas of other people.

These writer people HAVE ALL THE RIGHT to their views but I didn't consent to be a receiving end of their exclusive views. Not in video games.
It feels sickening to me personally that I pay 60-70$ or a game only to realize that for the past 20 hours I was being brainwashed. Maybe that's overexaggerating but t's happening little by little.

Obviously it doesn't matter at all what race Saga Anderson from Alan Wake 2 is. But what matters is her role in the story and that she is a Mary sue because of what race and sex she is. It is disgusting how manipulative an sexist it is once you think about it.
Or gow ragnarok. I was partially fine with Atreus parts although they really had to turn him into this naively goody two shoes. But who is looking forward to replaying the game with all the Angrboda and atreus secitons? I bet you 100% that Kratos and God of war franchise are parting ways to make room for this.
What about ratchet? He lost all the edge. It didn't use to be like this.
Hogwarts Legacy is a weird one. I don't know is SBI helped because that crowd hates this game but it is very inclusive game which in my opinion does not ruin it. It doesn't get in a way of the game.
And there are ton of examples (I didn't play spider man 2) but the point is not to shit on your fav games but to show that it is in a ton of games. Small bits here and there manipulating you.
And by the end of this process or maybe even now, you are ok with all of this. But is this truly your world view? Or is this a world view implanted in your mind? (Alex Jones signs out!)

(Lol I know it's way overdramatic but I had a good flow writing this. I am honestly a bit worried. Of course the post sounds a bit hyperbolic but there is something afoot)

Whoa haven't seen Craig in forever... I thought he bounced from gaming when the pink haired mob started getting riled up

Also in regards to modern game writing this video still pretty much nails it on the head

Last edited:

mdkirby

whilst some of this stands, and does occur, I can’t agree with other parts. Alan wake 2 in particular, there’s no “sneaky wokeness” or agenda in that game. Sam lake just wrote the story he wanted to write, he’s a middle aged guy whose life experience informs his writing and character, no agenda is needed, particularly and conscious thought of “ooo how can I be super sneaky and slip in some political ideology, so subtle no one will notice”.

There is another side to this coin too, which I think is often overlooked, which I do think can be very detrimental to writing, which is the cost profile of games is so high, that risks can’t be taken; which can manifest in overly safe stories, and subsequently bad writing. And this means implicitly and intentionally choosing not to have a full spectrum of human existence portrayed from either ideology, as commercially you don’t want to piss off anyone one the left OR the right. This makes stories meh and forgettable.

At my own company we do an awful lot of self censorship, partly for that reason, but also because anything that is remotely triggering for anyone would go against the entire point of the product, and the content/writing is intentionally and needs to be “quite dull”.

One reason I think we see so many failures in game and film stories currently is playing it safe, and the need to try and please everyone (and in turn pleasing no one)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know they race swapped Saga, but… What Happened At The End Of Alan Wake 2 that it’s woke?

Was Alan a trans? Did he have a secret boyfriend ?

I didn’t finish the game. Wasn’t having fun with the game. Waste of $70
She says “white assholes” or aomething like that. For no reason.
But it’s not about that. It’s about her magical role in the game. She doesn’t really bring much to the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah thank god we still have masterpieces of writing like cringe stranding and vaatyvidya recap number 345 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But yeah modern AAA gaming writing is mostly terrible, especially in AAA games.
Cringe stranding might be cringe and flawed but it’s one of my favs because how original it is in concept and gameplay. And it’s just cringe. Nothing woke about it thank god :D

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Christ, what a ridiculous thread. Having gay people or black people in games is not “shoving wokeness down our throats”. Stop gaming and go and watch The Sound of Freedom if it bothers you that much.
You are missing the point.
The problem is when character exists just to have this or that racial trait and for no other reason. Then they work against the story.
I don’t care if someone is white or pink. As long as they are real character

tinear

Banned
I’m no great fan of wokeness but this constant whining about it is just as bad as the people on (Great) Resetera whining about games not being woke enough. If you all clubbed together you could fund a QAnon game where you fight the blood drinking elites and steal back the election from Biden.

tinear

Banned
The problem is when character exists just to have this or that racial trait and for no other reason. Then they work against the story.
You obviously do care or you wouldn’t have made this thread. I think you’re just looking for an excuse to be offended. Hmm - that sounds familiar…

Drew1440

I'd say the writing is the whole issue here, a lot of the 'woke' characters in recent games are just plain insufferable and toxic, and you're constantly fed a stream of dialog that makes not relavence to the games story.

As for pronouns, pure bloatware. They add nothing to the game, especially since these games will often ask to enter your own name and will use that when addressing you.

Eiknarf

Banned
Like Kamala ?

Last edited:
"diversity" = condescendingly telling Latinos that the correct word, the one that keeps the upper-class progressive whites happy, is "Latinx" so please use it and suppress your actual gendered culture and language

"diversity" = every game or movie sooner or later trots out the totem of the strong-bald-black-female, paraded around like a minstrel show to embody all the tribal power of femininity that white progressive women need to feel, but can only do so through the fetish of the black woman's performance

"diversity" = absolute hegemony of a certain cultural niche dominant in certain affluent US circles, so that even something like the US bishops of the Methodist church will try to lecture and suppress the overwhelming majority of conservative African bishops in the conference, and tell them to get in line with very-white 2020s sexual ethics

"diversity" = every body configuration is the same, even in D&D your characters races and sexes are just costumes with no meaning

"diversity" = plainly evil and cynically profit driven corporations like Disney eat up all IP into a monopoly that embodies the worst ends of consumerism, but with one weird trick (a long series of sex / race swaps in remakes) the "progressive" crowd loves and defends this corporation like a patriotic duty

"diversity" = telling every other emigrating culture how important their lived experiences are, but actually believing that the traditional cultures from which most immigrants come are backwards relics to be eliminated by proper re-education, and a good use of NGOs to funnel the cash to remake their home nations

etc
I genuinely support varied characters from differing background/origin, but modern day "diversity" comes off more like "selective exclusion" and forcefully inorganic more than anything. No to mention they some time have deliberately mangled unique cultural traits in the name of "progress".

Originally, I was very supportive of this idea from the get-go, but I didn't anticipate it to evolve in this direction.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
FromSoft, CDPR, Larian, Nintendo. That’s mainly what I go with.

These guys are about to change for the worse. Their new studio is somewhere in the US. The next Cyberpunk and Witcher Will be tainted with woke garbage. Believe that 🤦🏻‍♂️

I also believe that the woke push on Larian is inevitable.

When it comes to Japanese devs the push their is going slow but you can sense it in some of their games. Will FROM and Nintendo be forced one day to bend the knee? who knows..

FireFly

Game narrative are decidedly not becoming more "diverse" in any meaningful sense of that word. If you read the overall complaint voiced by many across this thread, it is a recognition of saturated uniformity across all corporate gaming. You can't miss it; every single game now takes place against the same familiar current-year-thinking backdrop, the same narrowly restricted moral horizon and worldview, the same sense that its authors were born in a test tube ten minutes ago with no memory of even one decade prior. You can predict the dialogue lines about to be delivered by nearly every character, and you can know in advance who will be heroic or a villain by plotting their position on this simplistic moral spectrum of identities and victimhood.
I don't feel like games in general have a good record for developing complex characters and offering challenging narratives. Even Max Payne is just a caricature of caricature, wrapped up in snappy sounding dialogue, and is elevated by the paper thin plots of the games that launched around the same time period. Half-Life is lauded for its story yet I think you would struggle to write more than a paragraph about the message it was trying to convey, and most of the NPC lines are designed to be "funny" or "expositional" rather than communicate anything meaningful.

If these games had "woke" dialogue in them and there was a similar culture war going on at the time, I am sure a huge amount of outrage would have been generated, and there would have been an outcry about the coming "uniformity" of gaming. When a title is unimaginative but inoffensive, we often forgive it. When it's unimaginative but offends our political sensibilities, the inclination is then to go back and try to find reasons to discount what it is doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom