• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trade war has begun between the US and Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
1023154.jpg

Seriously, no thank you, I would rather Canada stay on it's own.

Seriously. I really only hear this "lol we own you anyway so just join us" attitude from Americans.

Stop this talk. It's condescending bullshit.

lol naw. Are you American? I only see crap like this from Americans. Please stop
It doesn't make sense for the Canada and the US to be two separate nations, hell it doesn't make sense for the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand being separate nations. The less imaginary lines drawn on the map the better.

ZeroGravity

My stepfather lost his job when the Bush administration illegally taxed Canadian softwood lumber over a decade ago. Thankfully he's no longer in the industry, but fuck the US for pulling this shit again.

bremon

70k isn't a high salary, at all.

It's 15-20k less than what a teacher makes after 10 years in-service.
You can swing a hammer for that money and invest far less money in yourself. Lol @ the idea of "overpaid" dairy farmers making 60-70k (or even 100) off million dollar+ operations.

It doesn't make sense for the Canada and the US to be two separate nations, hell it doesn't make sense for the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand being separate nations. The less imaginary lines drawn on the map the better.

We'd have the best hockey, rugby, basketball, and cricket teams in the world by far. We would still suck at soccer. Unacceptable.

Ac30

Yeah, it does, unless America becomes Lower Canada.

Apathy

It does make sense because I, and many of us Canadians, don't want to have to deal with whatever right wing idiocy the US citizens vote into a NA Union parliament. You've proven to be a destructive force within your own country, the rest of a hypothetical NA union shouldn't be forced to have terrible policies based on your right wing nut jobs

it does make sense when you factor in US's disfunctionality and lagging behind on essential social services like say Health Care.

Canada is far from perfect and has many flaws, true. But Canada is closer to other industrialized western nations in terms of social services provided publicly when compared the the US's stubborness of not moving foward on Single Payer or Unniversal Healthcare

Cranster

Banned
It makes perfect sense why we are seperate nations considering how progressive Canada is as a whole compared to the backwards redneck regression of the the USA in the past few months.

CazTGG

uBBtPv1vZtofS.gif

Honest question: Do you know anything about Canada?

Good lord no, please stop lol. If America wants to go down shit creek without a paddle, leave us out of it

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It is inevitable that one say the United States and Canada will form a North American Union.

The Canadian military is already pretty much under US command. The Canadian and American economies are almost as interwoven as the interstate economies. The culture gap between the US and Canada, at it's widest, is no wider than the gap between Louisiana and New York.

We are brothers from the same mother. We live on opposite sides of a duplex house. It's only a matter of time before economics and environment make it more rational to buy a larger house together.
Fuck that shit. If that day happens in my lifetime (I don't care if I'm 90 years old), it will be the day i start my immigration process out of the continent.

It may scare you, but a United North America, and eventually a United UKUSA Community is a necessary stepping stone towards to ultimate goal of a one world order and United Earth government.

It's going to happen, one way or another.

Armaros

It is the height of American Arrogance, to suggest that our neighbors are just going to bow down and form this Union that most likely would be US dominated without massive safeguards to protect Canada's or Mexico's representation.

Parch

and lol if Canada tries to go to war with the US. Didn't the Canadian Air Force have to raid a museum for some spare plane parts a couple of years back?
You think Canada is that stupid? The only thing Canada would attack is the oil pipelines, natural gas pipelines, and electrical power grids going to the US. Destroyed, for like forever. Canada can throw the US into a long term energy crisis before breakfast and never fire a shot or take a step on american soil.

What "doesnt make sense" is the USA's large amounts of racism, homophobia, lack of maternity leave, lack of real public health care, and the insane gun laws that exist.

These are things that dont make sense.

It is the height of American Arrogance, to suggest that our neighbors are just going to bow down and form this Union that most likely would be US dominated without massive safeguards to protect Canada's or Mexico's representation.
The only one here assuming that there wouldn't be a means of ensuring equal and fair representation is you.

Apathy

It may scare you, but a United North America, and eventually a United UKUSA Community is a necessary stepping stone towards to ultimate goal of a one world order and United Earth government.

HAHAHA, god the american arrogance. You realize a vote would need to occur right? I guarantee you it wouldn't pass here

does SG stand for Star Gate?

Armaros

The only one here assuming that there wouldn't be a means of ensuring equal and fair representation is you.

So is the US going to give up votes to let Canada and Meixco have a say in what the States do?

You think Red border states are going to support letting Mexico in after the decades of racism about Mexican migrants built into their state politics?

You need to put down the Sci-Fi books and come back to the reality of the moment.

4pMX5rJ4PYAEM.gif

I don't predict a sublimation of Canada into the United States. I predict a new nation, composed of the best of both.

If it's composed of the best of both, what do you propose happens to the worst of both?

So is the US going to give up votes to let Canada and Meixco have a say in what the States do?

You think Red border states are going to support letting Mexico in after the decades of racism about Mexican migrants built into their state politics?
Just add a fourth (or fifth) level to government.

Local < State < National < Federal (< Global)

Divest powers and responsibilities appropriately.

You think Red states are going to support letting Mexico in after the decades of racism about Mexican migrants?

Let's not get too crazy. DC, U.S. Virgin Islands, and various other places that are a part of the U.S. Don't have full rights.

On a side note: Why are people comparing Canadian and US military?

kalgore

Neo Member
As a Canadian I am surprised that Canadian dairy laws even make Trumps radar. Even if American dairy products flooded the CDN market there aren't that many customers to buy it. This feels like a negligible amount of money to get upset with.

On a side note I would welcome the end of bagged milk. My wife cuts the hole to big all the time and makes its a sloppy mess. Its way harder to fuck up a carton.

Also Land of Lakes Butter is pretty solid, send that stuff my way!

Armaros

Just add a fourth (or fifth) level to government.

Local < State < National < Federal (< Global)

Divest powers and responsibilities appropriately.

HAHAHAHA.

'It's no biggie, just make an entire layer of government that rules over three counties with rules that all three can agree on'

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

You're making it sound like this is some sort of happy union of equals that would be taking place. We already are bent over the table when it comes to our trade deals, but you think a union with the States is going to be a good thing for us? Your k-12 education system sucks donkey balls (recent PISA scores highlight this as well), your social aspects are being weighed down by backwards thinking republicans, and you out number us by an incredible number.

A union with the states would be like taking a bucket of rain water and dumping it into the ocean. The only way this union happens is by force. Good luck with that.

Steejee

Given that Trump style negotiating seems to be 'Make big threats then fold as soon as there's any real pushback' I'm not reading too much into this yet.

HAHAHAHA.

'It's no biggie, just make an entire layer of government that rules over three counties with rules that all three can agree on'
Necessity is the mother of invention. The need will arise for the transcendence of national politics, especially if the world continues to change as it is. One hopes that Unity will be achieved peacefully but it is just as likely to occur by force, regrettably. The foundation is already laid in the form of the United Nations, a global economy, and instant global communication.

Kurdel

Banned
Necessity is the mother of invention. The need will arise for the transcendence of national politics, especially if the world continues to change as it is. One hopes that Unity will be achieved peacefully but it is just as likely to occur by force, regrettably. The foundation is already laid in the form of the United Nations, a global economy, and instant global communication.

Yes, if we only exclude humans from the equation, this makes perfect sense.

Stop derailing this thread with this nonsense.

You're making it sound like this is some sort of happy union of equals that would be taking place. We already are bent over the table when it comes to our trade deals, but you think a union with the States is going to be a good thing for us? Your k-12 education system sucks donkey balls (recent PISA scores highlight this as well), your social aspects are being weighed down by backwards thinking republicans, and you out number us by an incredible number.

A union with the states would be like taking a bucket of rain water and dumping it into the ocean. The only way this union happens is by force. Good luck with that.

On point.

There's no chance I'd ever want a Union with the US. That's a crazy train I'd never want to be a part of.

Parch

Even without a trade war, Canada should be trying to import less american made products because of the poor quality. Inferior health regulations. Steroid and hormone filled dairy and meat. American processed foods are excessively filled with sodium and sugar. Everything american made in the grocery store should be avoided.

I've had terrible performance and reliability with every american made product I've ever purchased. Electronics, clothing, furniture. I'll never buy another american made car.

Just based on quality, Canada should be importing less US products. "Made in the USA" is a red flag for me.

espher

Bought some PC parts today before the dollar tanks any further. ;)

But seriously, I have no idea what the long-term play from Trump is with this (there probably isn't one).

Boylamite

Well then that settles that.

Even without a trade war, Canada should be trying to import less american made products because of the poor quality. Inferior health regulations. Steroid and hormone filled dairy and meat. American processed foods are excessively filled with sodium and sugar. Everything american made in the grocery store should be avoided.

I've had terrible performance and reliability with every american made product I've ever purchased. Electronics, clothing, furniture. I'll never buy another american made car.

Just based on quality, Canada should be importing less US products. "Made in the USA" is a red flag for me.

Was going to say bullshit. But then I realized that I really don't have anything that says made in the US. As for the food stuff, I'm lucky to be in a city were I have a variety of options to avoid low quality foods.

trebbble

Would you say it is our manifest destiny?

AoM

It seems to work for many of us.

Ryuukan

you fit right in with trump, le pen, et al with this level of populist hyperbole

also lol @ "Electronics, clothing, furniture" that say "Made in the USA" what part of Canada do you live in, the 1950s?

Dazzler

Same, best to avoid those products

Dunlop

Crap like this will just get us to strengthen and increase trade with other countries like China and the UK.

While Trump is in power there it's really no sensible negotiating that will take place

Shoeless

And Trump manages to find a way to backstab another friend/ ally.

A trade war with a NAFTA partner.

Unreal.

I thought it was an impossibility, but if things go very badly for the USA, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Canada got annexed under a "lebensraum," protocol by America. In terms of military strength, they can easily do it, and in terms of global perception, they may soon be in a position where they don't care what other countries think. Once they go the protectionist route and try to bring back factories, coal mines and all that other stuff to recreate America in the 1950s, complete with xenophobia, being well behaved part of a global community no longer makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom