• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Untold History of Japanese Video Game Developers", HG101 bookstarter (£50k goal)

Sakujou

Banned
hey, i havent followed the whole case, but whats up with this kickstarter? i heard something about a case/court/lawyer problems?

is this book coming? has it already been published? on amazon there is a kindle version available... i thought there would be a book!?!? i want a book, i dont want to read this stuff on a screen.

hey, i havent followed the whole case, but whats up with this kickstarter? i heard something about a case/court/lawyer problems?

is this book coming? has it already been published? on amazon there is a kindle version available... i thought there would be a book!?!? i want a book, i dont want to read this stuff on a screen.
First volume and the next two will be physically available, print-on-demand. It's more likely than Szczepaniak commissioning someone to author e-book versions for him.

@MUWANdo

Banned

The book was split into three volumes soon before release. Volume 1 is available both physically and digitally, Volumes 2/3 are still being worked on and may be physical-only.

The author was sued for libel after he made several angry, accusatory posts about an interpreter he'd worked with and her associates/family members. After many months of delays and the airing of lots of dirty laundry, the libel suit was dismissed on a legal technicality and looked to be over, but it sounds like it'll be kicking off again in a few months.

From the outside, the legal drama doesn't look to have affected the production of the books in any significant way, but I suppose that might change if he loses a subsequent suit.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Just saw this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AgnessKaku/status/611863049004191744

If you've been on threads discussing my case on Reddit, NeoGAF, SA, etc., please have a read. http://versusjs.blogspot.jp/2015/06/message-to-backers.html

It's a PDF response so I cut/pasted it here:

Kaku vs. Szczepaniak:
Four Things That Still Surprise Me
BY AGNESS KAKU
JUNE 20, 2015

I’ve never defended myself in the sundry places where John’s libel is being spread. I try not to look, but from time to time, someone will send me a link. Before the next phase of the case swallows up my time, I’d like to address some of the recurring themes in third-party flak. And this time, I’m just going to talk about myself, rather than repping all the victims of John’s 19- month-long attacks.

1. A Lunch, a Coffee…Then Shitstorm

Three hours. That’s how long I met with John Szczepaniak IRL. He asked me to lunch, and a month later, I had coffee with him. That’s it. Not even three hours. Yet almost everyone out there believes I worked on the book, that I’m an interpreter, that I was at the interviews, even that I’m the president of an interpreting agency. You may as well claim I’m a dentist. But out of this misinformation comes the first refrain: Agness should’ve handled John’s complaints better.

Handled them how, exactly? How blindsided would you be if some guy who asked you for a professional referral suddenly started shouting from the rooftops that you’d plotted to defraud him? If he started emailing your workplaces, present and potential?

“Oh, please,” you’re probably thinking. “John wouldn’t hate on you like this if he only met you for three hours.” Please question that assumption, especially if you’re one of the backers who said something reasonable to John only to have him flip out. He didn’t know you, either. He’s not right about you, either.

How I handled it—how I’m still handling it, with the love and support of my partner—is not a story that’s been told. What you’ve heard is me defending myself, and we’ve tried our best to be as transparent and evidentiary as possible.

2. Just Because John Says?

“But John says,” the standard chatter goes. “John says he’s the victim here. John says
interviewees complained to him about Agness. John says Agness attacked first. John says she stalked backers and will stalk me next.”

Trouble is, John also says a well-respected localization firm colluded with Siliconera in an attempt to sabotage his Kickstarter. John says there’s a secret society of armed-and dangerous game collectors that trade with the yakuza and pirates—the kind with ships. And John says wifi makes him ill.

So maybe “John says…” isn’t good enough. Maybe his word shouldn’t have been enough for you to condemn me to massive income loss and marginalization.

3. Afraid of Shadows

“I felt intimidated,” is another refrain from people who’ve never even met me. “I’m creeped out by Agness, she scares me.”

With all due respect, it’s not my problem that you’re a pearl-clutching ‘fraidy cat. I’m a 96 lb woman who writes ad copies and stories about immortals battling timetravelers. If you swallowed John’s lurid tales about how Agness is the second coming of Carlos the Jackal, that’s on you. I’ve never harassed anyone. I’ve never tried to harm anyone the way I’ve been harmed over the past 19 months.

If I’d actually harassed someone on social media, do you honestly think John wouldn’t have plastered the screenshots all over Kickstarter?

Other backers say they were upset by the courtesy notice they received. Again with all due respect, your naiveté is not my doing. If you publicly announce under your own name that you intend to commit tortious interference, the least you can expect is a reminder that your credulous crusading is hurting me.

I think most of you who were sent the notice ultimately understand that. I think you were mostly decent guys incited into doing something remarkably shitty. And when you were asked to look at your actions, you stopped.

4. There’s No Parity Here

“Two camps hurling insults at one another,” is the way I’ve heard this case characterized by some.

If only it were that equal.

If only I could move all of John’s uphates to Twitter, instead of the SEO monster Kickstarter. If only John’s malicious emails to my clients could be from a corporate address instead of HG101, so that he had to face the same kind of organizational scrutiny for accusing, as I did for being accused. If only he hadn’t gone to a so-called #GamerGate outlet and nominated me as an ideal target for their well-documented, seemingly limitless ire.

I took John Szczepaniak to court because I needed something resembling a level playing field. Something away from Kickstarter, which John has used as a protected platform for his libel, and away from social media, where my every tweet competes against 500 million others just like it daily. Away from the game loc scene, where John’s poison-pen emails and his supporters' gleeful gossip have done their work.

“Two camps hurling insults.” John’s named me a con artist, psychopath, political terrorist, deportee, thief, stalker, “one of the most dangerous people in the game industry.” In response, I’ve named him a liar. These “insults” don’t even compare.

Bottomline: The Right to Face My Accuser

John’s accused me of actual criminal offenses, the evidence for which he’s claimed from the beginning to have. If all that evidence exists, John can and should beat me in court. He would be cleared of libel, and I would be ordered to pay his legal costs.

So why doesn’t he want that?

At the initial trial in Niort, John presented no evidence to back up his claim that I stalked interviewees and backers. No evidence that I attacked him first, anywhere. That I bullied coworkers, that I’m considered a national security threat by authorities, that I stole money from him, or any of the other ugly, damaging accusations he has made over the past 19 months. He delivered none of the evidence he promised—no “audio recordings of meetings, all email correspondence, and signed invoices.”

He didn’t even try to fight the libel charge. Instead, he went straight for a jurisdictional technicality which comes down to, France can’t try me, I’m an expat.

John Szczepaniak runs from level playing fields. Maybe that’s the only point you need to consider in the run-up to the July trial in Poitiers, and the upcoming case in London

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't get why she insists on continuing. :| Oh well.

...because their online profile has been trashed to the point where it's affecting their livelihoods and KS won't do jack shit about it? You don't have to sympathise with either side or care about the situation at all but it's not rocket science.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I suspect she's fighting because her reputation is at stake and a victory would at least allow her to point to something to say it was his fault.

zeopower6

...because their online profile has been trashed to the point where it's affecting their livelihoods and KS won't do jack shit about it? You don't have to sympathise with either side or care about the situation at all but it's not rocket science.

Still, I recall they were the ones involving backers among others who had some small connection to the KS or John way back when this was all beginning when it wasn't necessary at all. They should really just stop. I know why they're doing it and I don't really agree with either side but both parties just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper...

Oh well. At least the book is good.

Tamanator

I suspect she's fighting because her reputation is at stake and a victory would at least allow her to point to something to say it was his fault.

Still, this is hardly going to fix her public profile, even if she wins. It's just perpetuating the saga and allows time for the mud slung to be seen by even more people.

At least in court we will finally be able to see both sides of the story. Though I find some of her accusations a bit misguided. Of course John would go for the legal technically initially, it saves him time and legal costs, it doesn't necessarily show that he doesn't want to go before court because he's hiding something/knows he's in the wrong as she suggests in that PDF pasted in this thread.

Fhtagn

Well, I *was* excited to find out about this book but if the author turned to GG for "help" then I'm no longer interested. Oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Still, this is hardly going to fix her public profile, even if she wins. It's just perpetuating the saga and allows time for the mud slung to be seen by even more people.

At least in court we will finally be able to see both sides of the story. Though I find some of her accusations a bit misguided. Of course John would go for the legal technically initially, it saves him time and legal costs, it doesn't necessarily show that he doesn't want to go before court because he's hiding something/knows he's in the wrong as she suggests in that PDF pasted in this thread.

I guess it's more a case of at least being able to point to a court decision to help her if some potential employer Googles her name or something.

Also, I don't know if anyone is interested, but the book is in the latest Storybundle:
http://storybundle.com/games

This includes the entire run of Ray Barnholt's Scroll, which I think makes it a great deal if you missed it the last time (even if you aren't interested in this book).

@MUWANdo

Banned
I guess it's more a case of at least being able to point to a court decision to help her if some potential employer Googles her name or something.

It's primarily about getting KS to remove his posts--KS doesn't care enough to do anything unless they're legally compelled to, and he sure as hell isn't going to pull them himself.

It also bears repeating that this isn't a "him vs. her" situation: there are four defendants in the suit whose reputations are all at stake and at least two of them haven't said or contacted anyone but are nonetheless affected by this spat.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
News that the second volume is coming, and he makes it all about those sisters...I know he has a right to be angry at them, but he should just give up on airing that stuff out in public from now on. Just ends up making him look unstable.

JCG

It feels like victory based on technicality.

Indeed. That's the sort of thing lawyers are supposed to be good at. But regardless of that and whatever is the underlying truth of the case, neither of them will come out of this with their reputation intact. This has already been established months ago. Almost nothing will change that.

Frankly, I just hope the second volume comes out and is good reading material. I couldn't care less about the author's obviously rather juvenile attitude and all this legal mess.

Scavenger

Volume 2 black and white standard edition (ISBN: 978-1518655319) is now in stock at various Amazon stores and Createspace

Color Edition: Createspace

I still haven't found the time to read this book and the Sega Mega Drive Collected Works.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't know that there was a volume 2... I kind of hope he took the time to organize it a little better than the first book.

Nyoro SF

Just bought Vol 1 yesterday for Kindle, looking forward to reading through it.

I looked into the drama and it seems like just a bunch of crazy swinging but it wasn't worth the effort of looking it up honestly. Hoping the book is enjoyable.

Just ordered the colour version from Createspace. Looking forward to it!
I got a nice edition of volume 1 through Kickstarter, so I hope they "fit" as a series on my shelf. And volume 3, in the works apparently...damn how many am I going to have to buy in the end?

Scavenger

Volume 1 Kindle edition will be free from Thursday until Saturday.

From Thursday until Saturday, on Amazon, the digital version of Volume 1 will be free. To everyone. At least, it should be. If you have a Kindle and an Amazon account, be sure to grab it. Actually, just download it even if you don't have a Kindle.
Free Book Promotion: 12 November until 14 November

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just learned about this whole mess after reading Agness Kaku's recent post on Linkedin about the fired Nintendo localization editor. It's a good three-part read: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/chris-pranger-appeared-podcast-nintendo-fired-him-both-agness-kaku

That lead me to this article:

https://cirsova.wordpress.com/2015/02/11/gamergate-interview-with-agness-kaku/comment-page-1/

Which took me down the rabbit hole of the email dump, which I ended up reading a bunch of. It all makes this John guy look very poor in my eyes. I got the impression of a somewhat unstable guy who got himself in way over his head and started lashing out at the people he perceived as causing his problems.

What really surprised me was that he claimed he would just transcribe the audio of the people doing simultaneous interpretations for his meetings with the Japanese devs. That is such a monumentally terrible idea that I can't believe a journalist who supposedly had experience interviewing people who spoke languages different to him would come up with.

Datschge

What really surprised me was that he claimed he would just transcribe the audio of the people doing simultaneous interpretations for his meetings with the Japanese devs.
Let me get this straight, for the books he wanted to/did transcribe interpreter translations of the people he put through the libel spin since?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Let me get this straight, for the books he wanted to/did transcribe interpreter translations of the people he put through the libel spin since?

That appears to be at least partially true, yes.

I don't know if he slandered all of the interpreters that helped him with his interviews, of course.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That piece on Chris Pranger is great and regardless on your stance on this KS project, I suggest y'all give it a look.

That appears to be at least partially true, yes.

I don't know if he slandered all of the interpreters that helped him with his interviews, of course.

He didn't--he made accusations against the head interpreter/coordinator and one or two interpreters she assigned for him (and others who weren't officially involved and who weren't being paid a cent) but there were other interpreters assigned to him that he was content with, not to mention the second batch of interpreters he worked with after he split from the first lot.

My Volume 2 has arrived and it's great. I've only read parts of it so far, but the Micky G Albert interview in particular is just great. The kind of guy I want to spend days with, just soaking up his experience and viewpoint.

I don't really care about the behind the scenes, I'm judging the book for what it is - an amazing historical effort. I say this as a kickstarter backer on this protect.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That piece on Chris Pranger is great and regardless on your stance on this KS project, I suggest y'all give it a look.

He didn't--he made accusations against the head interpreter/coordinator and one or two interpreters she assigned for him (and others who weren't officially involved and who weren't being paid a cent) but there were other interpreters assigned to him that he was content with, not to mention the second batch of interpreters he worked with after he split from the first lot.

Interesting. I still can't believe he would take the approach of transcribing English that was spoken during a simultaneous translation. The guy must not understand how languages work.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Interesting. I still can't believe he would take the approach of transcribing English that was spoken during a simultaneous translation. The guy must not understand how languages work.

Well, part of the reason he insistent on simultaneous interpretation was he wanted to be able to ask off-the-cuff questions and have something resembling a casual conversation, despite everyone advising him it wouldn't really work that way and wouldn't provide for great transcripts (and despite his own lack of conversational skill). Another big reason is he was simply too lazy to sit and prepare questions in advance for his interpreters/interviewees.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, part of the reason he insistent on simultaneous interpretation was he wanted to be able to ask off-the-cuff questions and have something resembling a casual conversation, despite everyone advising him it wouldn't really work that way and wouldn't provide for great transcripts (and despite his own lack of conversational skill). Another big reason is he was simply too lazy to sit and prepare questions in advance for his interpreters/interviewees.

Asking off the cuff questions is still perfectly doable in a sequential translation. Sure it takes a bit more time, but at least you'll generally get a clean and sensible sentence out of the interpreter. Far better to do that than get difficult to understand thought fragments that you have to try to piece together later.

And, yeah, not preparing the general questions and sharing it with the interpreter in advance is such a colossally stupid thing to do and coupling that with a demand for simultaneous translations... what a waste of everyone's time.

Waiting for the Kindle version. When is that?

Never:
There's not going to be a Kindle/Amazon version because nobody bought it last time. I gave up checking the sales after a few months, but the total sales to this day, I don't think it even broke 100 (one hundred). It certainly never made enough to cover the cost of hiring someone to produce the Kindle file. On the other hand I did fairly well with Storybundle. So I'm going to make it a Storybundle exclusive.

Read most of it now. T&E Soft interviews aren't too comprehensive (you can tell Szczepaniak was skipping over Rune Worth, so that's gonna be for another time), same with Hudson, but wow if that wasn't a lot for Masaya. Human Soft coverage is good as well, and better than anything we've had for years. I'm surprised he didn't chat up Mickey Albert on his X68k/PC-98 games, or even his X1 stuff at Dempa (and how Algarna wasn't actually his work); full disclosure, I provided the author with screenshots for that interview (game's called GAGE). The Masaya interviews really stand out because of their detail, and now we know the origins of Langrisser in full (and more about the elusive Robert Timbello). I'm more than satisfied, but hopefully Szczepaniak doesn't keep a lid on the remaining interviews forever if sales do even worse for this volume.

Now we come to the bittersweet element mentioned earlier. Volume 1 teased us with multiple "coming in the next volume" pages detailing the contents of future editions, and Volume 2 does the same - only this time around, we might not actually get to read these mooted interviews. In his intro, Szczepaniak reveals that despite his amazing efforts, sales of the first book were poor:

I fear that the intensity of my love for Japanese games caused me to incorrectly assume there must be a sufficient number of people who felt the same, thereby making these books a viable proposition.​

He then goes on to beg the reader to spread the word and tell as many people as possible about the book and its predecessor. Volume 2, he asserts, cost more to make and took more time to produce than the first book, and Volume 3 can only be made if sales pick up. All of the cash raised from the sales of Volume 1 and the supplementary DVD were put into the production of this book, along with some of Szczepaniak's own money - from savings and loans. It would be a crying shame if his quest to document the history of Japan's vibrant and influential games development community ended here, so we entreat you to make a purchase - if you have even the most cursory interest in games from the Far East, then both of these books are essential reading.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say all the legal shenanigans and dirty laundry affected the sales of the books.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm going to go out on a limb and say all the legal shenanigans and dirty laundry affected the sales of the books.

He thinks those gosh-darn ess-gee-dubyas conspired to bury his book because they didn't like the cover art for the platinum version of Volume 1. He's a nutcase.

Datschge

I wouldn't say that directly did it, but freely mixing it into any and every KS communication as offensively as he did likely scared plenty people away.

I'm going to say why can't I buy this for my Kindle? I want to buy it, I brought the first but I can't buy this one. This is money Johns losing right now so don't give the sob story he's not made enough.

rrc2soft

Wait for story bundle.

Story bundle is out. First and Second volume of "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" for $12. Would have paid the full price for the kindle version of vol. 2, but well, it is OK I guess.

The initial titles in the Mega Game Bundle (minimum $3 to purchase) are:
  • Exp. Negatives (StoryBundle Exclusive!) by Mathew Kumar
  • HG 101 Digest Vol 1 - Strider and Bionic Commando by Kurt Kalata
  • Videogames for Humans by Merritt Kopas
  • Kobold Guide to Board Game Design by Mike Selinker
If you pay more than the bonus price of just $12, you get all four of the regular titles, plus five more:
  • Boss Fight Books: Shadow of the Colossus by Nick Suttner
  • @Play - Exploring Roguelike Games (StoryBundle Exclusive!) by John Harris
  • Second Quest by David Hellman and Tevis Thompson
  • The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Volume 2 (Bonus: Vol. 1 Included!) by John Szczepaniak

Top Bottom