• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Valve Employee Handbook

I was born to work at a place like this, where self-balancing, self-conscious individuals could interlock with each other in friendly competition and necessary cooperation to create some of the greatest interactive entertainment of our time. I may not yet be able to comprehend a work environment like this, where the feeling of overburdening work anxiety, lack of horizons and creative openings, and other depressing, demotivating intricacies of the modern business' hierarchal circle-jerk would ever get in the way of me and my co-workers getting cool shit made for ourselves, and our customers as well. But I eagerly await the day that I can be part of such an important company, where your ability to adapt and stay virile in an ever-changing world and, subsequently, an ever-evolving marketplace, will lead to being a worthy part of the grand machine that recognizes itself in the mirror, and makes funny facial expressions to boot. And I can't help but feel that the prodigious down payment in cash necessary to kickstart something like Valve is, ultimately, worth it in the long run, something for investors and considerate folk all around the Western world to consider themselves.

—If I was a true Judeo-Christain, this would be Heaven on Earth, or at least as close to such a conceptualized, fictionalized realm as is possible. Even then, with my Nietzschean mind and vigorous opposition to dishonesty in the world, Valve seems like a __gic place in its own special way. Perhaps the best way to get in, when I think about it, is to forget that it exists and learn to become a T-shaped individual on your own, in oppressive conditions and the darkness of long-term inefficacies and inevitable societal failure. Then, and only then anyway, will someone like me learn to trust one another and trust my own abilities to adapt and become versatile enough, free enough to comprehend Valve in the flesh.

Inevitably, there comes a time and place where it can be let all out, those emotions and inner voices that know best about how an individual wants to live, regardless of the cost and risks involved. For nothing else but this, there's always going to be a Valve. Tomorrow's Valve.

Sentenza

Sounds to me like she's confirming what she's supposed to deny, to be honest.

Kim Swift said:
"You can choose the project you want to work on but there are definitely people behind the scenes making decisions for the company. "

Of course there are employee that for seniority or relevance are more influential than others and in fact decide the future for the company, that was a given, but she's essentially confirming that there is no rigid structure.

Sibylus

Banned
She talked about a board of directors and Gabe. Doesn't really clash with much.
Yeah, I was expecting something a bit more, I don't know, surprising? It's seemed readily apparent that there are indeed leading employees (Gabe being one) who mandated and preserve the finances and weird company culture and the like.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KimSwiftviaTwitter said:
I love that a 40 minute interview can get reduced to two comments that literally have nothing useful to say.
KimSwiftviaTwitter said:
Also the phrasing of the article is so overtly negative as if to imply some sort of drama where none exists.
KimSwiftviaTwitter said:
Can I just go on record and say that Valve is a great company and does there really have to be some dramatic story here?

StuBurns

Banned
Nothing about that article is controversial, she's right, we know Valve have management and Gabe has made huge decisions in terms of the direction projects and the company in general. She doesn't slag them off or anything.

EDIT: The 'sexual' thing people talk about is she was pulled from a public discussion about losing her virginity or something, some people interpreted that as an influence on her leaving.

MRORANGE

EDIT: The 'sexual' thing people talk about is she was pulled from a public discussion about losing her virginity or something, some people interpreted that as an influence on her leaving.

This is all I could find:

Make a game about blowing zombies' heads off? Great! Make a game about losing your virginity? Oh, heck no!

Video game developer Valve pulled one of its star designers from the Game Developers' Conference annual design competition this week reportedly because the topic was sex-oriented.

According to Erik Zimmerman of GDC's Game Design Challenge, the company forced designer Kim Swift to withdraw from the contest two days before it concluded.

Valve Corporation is known for a number of violent shooters including the Half Life series and Left 4 Dead, as well as content service Steam.

Each year, the challenge pits three top-shelf professional designers to create a game based on a specific topic with only a few weeks' notice. Contestants' games are demonstrated and winners are announced at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Past winners have included Will Wright (The Sims, Spore) and Harvey Smith (Deux Ex), and topics have included love, the poetry of Emily Dickenson, and the Nobel Peace Prize.

"My first time: Sex and autobiography" was this year's topic — a theme employed in the films of John Hughes and Woody Allen and the novels of Alice Walker and Vladamir Nabokov. Competitors had several weeks to design, develop and present their entries.

This year, Swift — who created Valve's blockbuster hit Portal — was to compete against YouPlus game-design vice president Steve Meretzky and Sulake lead designer Sulka Haro. But just days before the entry was to be presented, Valve reportedly pressured Swift to remove herself from the competition due to the topic.

"I'm saying this as a fan of Valve, but I do find it frustrating and disturbing that Kim would be pulled from the panel," Zimmerman said at the award event on Wednesday.

Swift was replaced by a two-woman team of Heather Kelley (Lapis) and independent designer Erin Robinson. The pair subsequently won the competition, despite only having 36 hours' time to create and design their game.

It is a first-time GDC Game Design Challenge win for both women. Kelley won a similar design challenge at the Montreal Games Summit in 2005.

StuBurns

Banned
PfLkm.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
in what way?

In the way that she left Valve during Portal 2's preproduction where everyone was presenting ideas and the hivemind decided what direction to go in and then she reveals what is almost guaranteed to be what she wanted to do for Portal 2 at another studio, a concept that wasn't chosen for Portal 2.

It seems obvious since literally everything shown in the game clearly wouldn't be out of place in a Portal game and the theme is Pixar does Portal.

I'm still quite hyped for Quantum Conundrum, but the whole situation does strike me as being rather dramatic.

Guri

So, I think she leaving Valve is not something so dramatic. In the games industry, people like to try another things. Kim is someone who likes to design her own kind of games, and I'm sure that, if she could do her idea of Portal 2, she would have stayed. And it was a great idea of a game. As a developer too, when I really like an idea, I'll do my best to have it executed. Kim found a place to develop that idea and went for it. And now, we have both the Portal franchise, which is in great hands, and Quantum Conundrum. Both sides win.

Top Bottom