• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter |OT| A first person murder mystery (PC)

Can anyone give me some performance results on weaker systems? I have a 570 SLI system.

I want to know if I can run this well or not.

Dex815

Oh man that photorealistic tech that they have use is amazing! Definitively the best textures I have ever seen in a game.

Those textures together with the great lightning and world design make this game really one of the best looking ones.

This kind of texture tech is what I would have expected to see in an engine like Source 2, this an incredible hit for a studio of with 8 people!

What is even better is that the performance is so good. I cannot wait for the next years to come having these and even better textures, lighting and IQ in general but with 4K. And it will reach the creepy point when you can have this photorealism in Oculus (at some points during the game stopped for some seconds just to have a look to some stones, building or tree, imagining how amazing it would be to see it in the Oculus keeping the quality of the screen).

I'm finding the game interesting but the most off putting thing for me is the frame rate / stutter. The game runs at 60fps most of the time just can't stand it when suddenly drops, I guess I'm a bit anal about such things. Playing on gtx titan with i7 4770k on 1080p AA set to off, everything else on high vsync on.

Good looking game though.

It's Unreal Engine 3.

artsi

The game looks great and is interesting. Got to say I hate the save system though.

It's not a horror game but I was pissing myself in the
carter house and graveyard.

AsfaeksBR

Just finished. Amazing game, really worth for that price!

I know this is running on Unreal Engine 3, but the texture work in it is amazing. Really looks like a new engine.
But after seeing CheesecakeRecipe's picture, have it crossed anyone's mind that Ethan Carter was just a "fancy tech demo"? Like, they did this amazing game just to test the "new" engine to see if it would work properly for their next game?
And since this is ex-People Can Fly devs, I bet it would be a FPS/TPS....
i5CcPvTDlNHgn.jpg

The game looks great and is interesting. Got to say I hate the save system though.

It's not a horror game but I was pissing myself in the
carter house and graveyard.

Yup I was definitely getting creeped out in those areas.
The voiceover in the carter house talking about "the sleeper" and its release was giving me some chills for sure, also the sequence with the witch.
Damn't why can't this game be longer!?!

I know this is running on Unreal Engine 3, but the texture work in it is amazing. Really looks like a new engine.
But after seeing CheesecakeRecipe's picture, have it crossed anyone's mind that Ethan Carter was just a "fancy tech demo"? Like, they did this amazing game just to test the "new" engine to see if it would work properly for their next game?

Nah, I think there's enough craft put into this, especially with the story and music that I don't feel it's just an initial launchpad for the tech. If anything I hope they continue to do more games like this but longer, we have plenty of shooters as it is. I say that as a huge fan of Painkiller and Bulletstorm too.

Blizzard

Banned
I got creeped out when I just plain entered a darker area in the forest, where there were more ferns and such. I thought they did a good job with not only the dynamic music and sounds, but also the dynamic color grading, or whatever the proper term is. The mood of the scene would change from a relatively "safe" forest to a dark and scary forest, at least to me.

Yup I felt the same way too. There was an eerie sense of isolation in certain parts of the forest, especially
where you encounter the traffic light/astronaut.
Gave me similar feelings games like Silent Hill have. At least the visibility was better XD

XRA

Neo Member
ok ummm, i had no idea the game has a map
painted somewhere
in it. I'm about 5 hours in, solved
4 murders
but have no idea where this map is. Supposedly it is in a
burnt house
Any hints?

*EDIT* Oh damn, nevermind, need to be more observant...

Jedi2016

So where does one access the extra stuff, the soundtrack and all that? I bought it through Steam, there's nothing there about DLC or extra content or anything.

Still haven't quite finished it yet, still missing one puzzle, but I think I'm right near the very end.
I found "the room", and it said I needed to go back and deal with the zombies. I'm no good with horror games with this level of graphical realism, it's kinda too immersive.. lol

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So where does one access the extra stuff, the soundtrack and all that? I bought it through Steam, there's nothing there about DLC or extra content or anything.

Still haven't quite finished it yet, still missing one puzzle, but I think I'm right near the very end.
I found "the room", and it said I needed to go back and deal with the zombies. I'm no good with horror games with this level of graphical realism, it's kinda too immersive.. lol

Go to the game's install directory, there will be a series of folders that contain the soundtrack, behind the scenes/making of, wallpapers, etc.

Can anyone give me some performance results on weaker systems? I have a 570 SLI system.

I want to know if I can run this well or not.
I played through with an HD 5770 at 1080p with the default High settings (everything at max except AA/AF (2xMSAA and 4x, respectively)) and the game ran at 25-35 fps in the outdoor areas. For the kind of game it is, that's perfectly playable unless you're the type of person who thinks anything less than 60 is garbage. There was one part of the game where the framerate was trash (the section with the
bubbling water in the cave
was 15-20), but that's basically just a short hallway you go through once, so not a huge problem.

XRA

Neo Member
yea it runs great for me, system is about 4 years old (radeon 5800)

that wwas weird as hell, i had solved all the stories/puzzles and just finally managed to stumble on the area with the map which led to the conclusion? Kind of nice how it ended up, also played through with the Polish dialogue and English subtitles which seemed to add to the overall feel of things.

Blizzard

Banned
yeah i mean make them bigger!
Other than the zoom button (right click maybe?), I think the only thing you can really do is press the text button to just read the text version instead of the text on the pages.

If the text version is too small as well, I don't know any way to fix that, sorry. :(

If the "Making Of" pdf is anything to go by, there appear to be six people working at People Can Fly. They actually work out of an apartment in Poland.

Since they were using off-the-shelf DSLRs and commercial software, I imagine the amount of time it takes to scan objects and environments and make them work in the engine is a primary constraint that prevents larger developers from using it.

If the "Making Of" pdf is anything to go by, there appear to be six people working at People Can Fly. They actually work out of an apartment in Poland.

Since they were using off-the-shelf DSLRs and commercial software, I imagine the amount of time it takes to scan objects and environments and make them work in the engine is a primary constraint that prevents larger developers from using it.

This is why we need a Google Street View scale project, send out tons of folk with dlsrs across the world to gather a massive database of images of real world objects, architecture, and terrain. Those images will be in a high res format already for future proofing when we can use them for textures at insane resolutions once hardware catches up. You could treat it like unity's asset store too and offer lots of these to the indie dev community. Obviously it's pie in the sky but it would be pretty awesome to have access to such a big library of object photos/data.

If I thought Alan Wake was one of the best titles I have ever played, would I enjoy this game? I'm still a little conflicted and I do see the name being mentioned in the OP and throughout the thread.

Blizzard

Banned
If I thought Alan Wake was one of the best titles I have ever played, would I enjoy this game? I'm still a little conflicted and I do see the name being mentioned in the OP and throughout the thread.
What did you like about Alan Wake -- walking through the environments, piecing together a story? Or, shooting shadow people? Or, both?

Ethan Carter is solely the former and none of the latter.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I skimmed through the pc gamer review of this game and there was no mention of any frame rate drops or stuttering of any kind. Seems to run "remarkably smooth" on max settings with i7 2.8ghz gtx 660ti.
Maybe it's not as widespread of an issue as I thought.
Do thee unreal 3 engine issues normally get fixed?

I skimmed through the pc gamer review of this game and there was no mention of any frame rate drops or stuttering of any kind. Seems to run "remarkably smooth" on max settings with i7 2.8ghz gtx 660ti.
Maybe it's not as widespread of an issue as I thought.
Do thee unreal 3 engine issues normally get fixed?

Not as far as I know.

Assuming you don't mean the stuttering from loading a new section, here you go.

As always, YMMV.

heiyu

This is a narrative story, there is nothing similar to alan wake, trust me. Tbh this seems more like e 4 hour tech demo, but an impressive one at that, the texture quality blew me away, waa running 900p with max settings (vsync off, aa4x) with i72.6k and gtx 570. Wish other pc releases had this eye candy with these requirements. But noooooooo, shitty ports all day. Anyway, the way i see it, if you liked "Gone Home" then you are going to enjoy this, at least the game's narration part. Could not stop until i beat the game, so it has my seal of approval. Btw i said that was nothing like Alan Wake because there is lack of action but i can see why people mention Alan Wake

Volcane

I played about 7 hours last night and haven't completed it, as I was mainly wandering around looking at the beautiful scenery.

J.W.Crazy

I had a lot of fun with this. It looks pretty amazing in 3D so if you've got the setup for it you should definitely check it out. The Devs said they hope to patch in full support but right now it's practically perfect with the Helix Mod fix. It seems like a lot of the People Can Fly devs were really into 3D. Bulletstorm had great 3D support. Flying Wild Hogs' Hard Reset too.

This is how I interpreted it:
Yes, it was all made up by Ethan. But there are two types of stories; ones he wrote down and his family found (those are the ones like the sea monster and space), and the murder cases.

My thought is that the murder cases are being thought up by Ethan as he's dying, and the actions of his family in them represent either how they've treated him in the past or how they were treating him just before the fire started. I say this for a couple reasons. First, the clock at the train station is always set to 7. When we see the scene of Ethan laying down to die, the time is 7. Also, his conversation with Paul kind of implies that he feels he can finally die now that he's finished telling Paul's story.

Also, when I went into the final room at first I thought we were going to get a "Ethan is the sleeper in disguise!" thing, but now that I think of it the Sleeper is probably just Ethan's way of representing all the negative thoughts his family has about him.

Actually the broken clock at the rail-car station in the beginning is stopped at 7:04. When Ethan first lays down that clock is at 7:00 but by the time it's over it's at 7:04 too. That would seem to confirm your theory that he's creating the story as he's dying.

I think that Ethan is the Sleeper he's just taken a few liberties with the story as usual. His mother and maybe a few of the others say something along the lines of, "The Sleeper must not sleep," and then at the end it seemed to me like they were waking him up. His brother says something like, "You're down here again?" and they've been saying it's his fault, he shouldn't have gone into that room throughout the game. He keeps going down to that room, writing stories all day, and falling asleep there. The Sleeper must not sleep.

luca_29_bg

Other than the zoom button (right click maybe?), I think the only thing you can really do is press the text button to just read the text version instead of the text on the pages.

If the text version is too small as well, I don't know any way to fix that, sorry. :(

Don't worry, i know that you can change something in the configuration files to get bigger text font.

I just finished the section in the Mines and loved it. I love how the game messes with your perception of it, like the weird moments when the
spaceship arrives
, or
the big puzzle door in the mines, the giant cthulu monster bit
, all these overtly game-y moments crop up and made me think "ah for gods sake, this is where the game jumps the shark, gone form spooky murder mystery into ridiculous overblown videogame tropes", only for me to realize
after they were finished that theyre just scenes from a kids imagination, his stories come to life.

AHA-Lambda

EDIT: I'm confused,

I got to the room with ethan and I see the map with 3 things crossed off the deer head, the gate and the traffic lights what are the other 2 supposed to be? A bear trap and a door? What/where are these?

What did you like about Alan Wake -- walking through the environments, piecing together a story? Or, shooting shadow people? Or, both?

Ethan Carter is solely the former and none of the latter.

I loved the atmosphere, story, characters and music/score.

This is a narrative story, there is nothing similar to alan wake, trust me. Tbh this seems more like e 4 hour tech demo, but an impressive one at that, the texture quality blew me away, waa running 900p with max settings (vsync off, aa4x) with i72.6k and gtx 570. Wish other pc releases had this eye candy with these requirements. But noooooooo, shitty ports all day. Anyway, the way i see it, if you liked "Gone Home" then you are going to enjoy this, at least the game's narration part. Could not stop until i beat the game, so it has my seal of approval. Btw i said that was nothing like Alan Wake because there is lack of action but i can see why people mention Alan Wake

Ah, I see. I did love Gone Home and the way in which the house itself became a character. I had to ask because I see a lot of atmospheric resemblance between the two.

komplanen

EDIT: I'm confused,

I got to the room with ethan and I see the map with 3 things crossed off the deer head, the gate and the traffic lights what are the other 2 supposed to be? A bear trap and a door? What/where are these?

SPOILER:

Bear trap: Go where the bear trap is on the map and run around. the very early part after exiting the tunnel when the game started

Door: When you exit the dam there are two houses. One of them has a letter that after reading it the doors turn into portals. It's a simple puzzle but I won't spoil it to you just yet

--

I just finished the game and my impression is that the ending
is a let down of such a massive scale that I don't think I'd recommend the game to anyone for even close the price they are asking for it. Perhaps $5 at the most. About half-way through the game I was super into it and loved the atmosphere and where the story was heading but that ending ruined everything.

Jedi2016

I loved the atmosphere, story, characters and music/score.

Ah, I see. I did love Gone Home and the way in which the house itself became a character. I had to ask because I see a lot of atmospheric resemblance between the two.
Hm. I guess this is more Alan Wake's environment (never played it) with Gone Home's gameplay & story.

Bought and finished this today. I enjoyed the game a lot, great visuals and very atmospheric.

The spaceship story was really weird. I was staring at my screen as it went on, not having a clue what the game was up to. Of course it all made sense in the end.

Jingo

Can anyone help me and give me some ideas of how i could run it better on a old pc? Turning some effects and anti alising?

Im a total noob on pcs, its the first game i bought in many years for pc but my one is a total mess

I5core 2,75 ghz
4gb ram
A radeon graphic with 1,68 gb ram

Thank you

Top Bottom