• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter |OT| A first person murder mystery (PC)

artsi

Why not stay on the release schedule and patch it tomorrow? Must be very critical if that wasn't a choice.

It's good to polish the game but c'mon, it's release day. What if the fixes introduce more bugs?

Nzyme32

Just a few screenshots taken by DeadEndThrills:

vanishing01.png

Looks perty.

I REALLY like how the colour pallet and lighting a quite muted rather than heavily over saturated or bloom filled

Guri

It does smell of recipe for disaster to me =/

Doesn't mean anything. Indie developers can't afford many testers, no matter how experienced they are. Besides, they kept testing and found bugs, so it's actually a sign they're doing a great QA job. Many AAA games have day one patches or are unplayable for days/weeks. I prefer a delayed release than that.

reminder

I wish the PS4 version would be released sooner. :( I know it was announced way later and that the port takes time, but i'm not going to play a game with an atmosphere like this on my laptop...

Dr Dogg

Steam Keys are live on Humble for those of you who bought it through the widget. Of course still waiting for the game to go live but that's one less service to stop F5ing.

Kinda bummed they took down the direct purchase link, I was hoping to avoid giving a cut to Valve or GOG. I wonder if it will go back up when it's officially released?

Mr_Zombie

Coming from a mainly AAA background, I find it pretty crazy that they are fixing bugs that will be integrated minutes before the release goes out to the customer.

You're saying as if AAA games never had patches released on day 1 (or later). The good thing about downloadable games is that you can work on it till the last minute before the release.

MattyG

Banned
The last time I was this excited for something and sat around starting at the clock was probably when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, so I'm pretty fuckin' hyped right now. COME ON ASTRONAUTS, LET'S DO THIS.

Pls hit at 5.

aha I see, I did play Bulletstorm, quite a change in direction they took for this game eh.

For what's it's worth, after they did Painkiller and before they did Bulletstorm, they were working a prototype for a survival horror game which got cancelled early in development. You can see screens of it here.

You're saying as if AAA games never had patches released on day 1 (or later). The good thing about downloadable games is that you can work on it till the last minute before the release.

That's not what he's saying. They pushed back the release of the game by several hours to work on bugs. That would suggest that they're game-breaking bugs.

Since they're working on patching the game up to the last moment they can release the game today, they won't have spent much time testing the new build(s) of the game to see if it's stable. Conceivably, new game-breaking bugs could be introduced.

As others have said, it's a troubling sign.

Corpekata

Banned
Coming soon to Not Yet available is just the default thing for when games run out their timer without setting a new one. Happens to a lot of games. Not a sign of doom.

mbpm1

Either way, can't wait. They said they fixed 99.9% bugs and only 0.1% is left.

Might just be perfectionism? Nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom