• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

Roto13

Okay I have not followed this game at all and know literally nothing about it. I've heard the hype and saw it on sale on Steam so I'm looking into it now for me and possibly as a gift for my BF. I watched all of the trailers on Steam and read the stuff in the OP but I still can't figure out what the gameplay is like.

Can someone describe the gameplay to me? Is it an FPS, is there gunplay? Is it more like a point n' click adventure game?

Very light point and click adventuring. It's mostly story.

Can somebody help me please?

I bough this on 360, beat Episode 1 and when I go to select Episode 2 to continue my game it takes me back to the closing of Episode 1. It won't let me start Episode 2.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looking to get the retail version of this. I'm hearing problems about the 360 version, should I get the PS3 version or does it have the same issues?

Very light point and click adventuring. It's mostly story.

Is the story very interesting? I watched the beginning of the game and just didn't hook me. I'm assuming it picks up later but I enjoyed totalbiscuit making fun of it more than the story that was happening. I'm just torn on whether I'll enjoy it.

Roto13

Is the story very interesting? I watched the beginning of the game and just didn't hook me. I'm assuming it picks up later but I enjoyed totalbiscuit making fun of it more than the story that was happening. I'm just torn on whether I'll enjoy it.

The story is the reason it won those Game of the Year awards.

Can somebody help me please?

I bough this on 360, beat Episode 1 and when I go to select Episode 2 to continue my game it takes me back to the closing of Episode 1. It won't let me start Episode 2.

This happens to me, too. I've beat it now, but wanted to do another playthrough, and ultimately had to give up because it was so infuriating. If anyone knows a fix, I'd appreciate it.

What's the situation with saving on PC? I read in another thread that there were some things you could do prior to playing to reduce your chances of having issues.

TTG

I'm playing the retail, disk version, on episode 4 right now. Hadn't read one thing about this before I got it and it does very much feel like a tv series(big choices aside). 2 Things I'm wondering about right now:

1. Just how different are the paths you could take? I've been on the 20 and 30 percent side on a couple of things, but they felt incidental. Obviously you end up in the same places, but man, at least one of those felt like it would have made a huge difference.

2. Who came up with that loading screen? Some shit smeared on a black screen, really? I couldn't make something worse in ms paint if you asked me to.

I just played the first episode last night and I liked it a lot. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. I made a few mistakes and there are some answers that are pretty silly to admit to seeing as he is trying to hide some secrets.

One thing that I really found they did a poor job on was the fact that they ask you to assume answers for Lee's history. I have no idea if he's close with his family. I have no idea if he has kids. I have no idea if it's true that his family is from this particular part of town, yet the answers you can give are "they are in ___ town" or "I have no family". I have no idea if he really did what he is accused of, yet they ask him to answer these questions and I have no idea if it's the truth or a lie. This wouldn't be such a problem if characters didn't try to catch you in lies and multiple people ask you the same questions. I had a hard time remembering the answer I gave the original person because the answer I gave had zero ground and is just a wild guess to begin with.

I have a feeling they are trying to build suspense by leaving parts of Lee's past mysterious, but it's a horrible story tool when it plays a direct role in the gameplay. Giving quick flashbacks in the squad car of the true events in his life would have been the perfect solution to this problem.

mrkgoo

Great, a motherfucker on a message board spoiled me the ending of this game.

Fucking awesome, and I was in the 3rd episode. I want to punch his face through the wall. I'm not even sure if I want to play this game anymore.

Man, I'm so fucking pissed.

While I kind of understand that spoilers can ruin a moment, I kinda feel like if something can be ruined simply from knowing one thing, then that something wasn't that great to begin with.

I knew a couple of the major plot points because I was listening to Player One Podcast who spoiled pretty much everything, but it was their praise and their discussion that got me to play it. The game is no less for having it spoiled.

But that's just me. I tend not to let spoilers ruin something for me. I try to get invested in whatever I'm playing/watching. For sure, it might ruin some moments, but I can generally go with the flow - it's like knowing Darth Vader is Luke's father - it doesn't ruin Empire Strikes Back, and it doesn't particularly detract from that moment in the film for me.

Macattk15

This game just crashes on startup for me from Steam.

The two times I got it to play ... it didn't save.

Cool programming TellTale.

I'm thinking of buying this game for my sister on her birthday on PSN. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if the game code from amazon.com is region locked or if it's redeemable on EU account?

Haven't posted in this thread yet, but bought the entire season a month ago, played through it and instantly adored it. Easily the best thing Telltale's made, and I quite enjoyed their S&M and MI games.

One thing I was wondering though; has anybody tried playing through the game as a complete and utter asshole to everyone? Wondering how episode 5 plays out if everybody left loathes you or if Clementine reacts to you any differently if you're a shitty father figure.

Trigger

I would think Amazon codes are region locked.

Haven't posted in this thread yet, but bought the entire season a month ago, played through it and instantly adored it. Easily the best thing Telltale's made, and I quite enjoyed their S&M and MI games.

One thing I was wondering though; has anybody tried playing through the game as a complete and utter asshole to everyone? Wondering how episode 5 plays out if everybody left loathes you or if Clementine reacts to you any differently if you're a shitty father figure.

Probably a better question for the spoiler thread, no? ;)

To my knowledge it will play out mostly the same except everyone will reluctantly join you after the boat is stolen vs leaving with Lee immediately.

Troidal

When I heard in several gaming podcasts that your choices doesn't really change the overall plot much, I no longer set my expectations high and that seemed to have worked well for me. I thought ep.2 and 3 were the high points. Overall, story-telling and characters were well-written, but that didn't carry enough weight for me to consider it GOTY 2012 (even though I rarely played games last year). Not a big fan of point & click so maybe that was the other thing. I probably wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for the XBL winter sale too, glad I got to play it with a discount.

They're about 2-3 hours each, depending on how much time you spend examining stuff, or if you just power through as fast as possible.

The final episode is only about half that long, though.

Thank you sir, had a free redbox rental code thanks to Wario64 so I picked it up today to try it out.

Jubern

I heard about how fucked up the PC/Mac version was, but I sure didn't expect the game to crash that quick... It crashed after 5 minutes, as I tried to get out of the menu after checking the settings (and not changing a thing!) :/

Talking about the settings, I looked a little and don't figure there's anyway to change the controls? I'm using an AZERTY keyboard, which has A and W in different spots (Q's and Z's, respectively), so I want to change that. Which reminds me that I haven't seen a game that automatically converted keyboard settings in a long time...

Just beat it, absolutely loved every second. So many great moments and characters, plus the tension was incredible. A powerful story and one that has me extremely excited about interactive movies going forward. If games want to ape movies, this is the best example I've come across.

pje122

Can someone please answer this question?

I played through the first two episodes on PS3 as part of the PS+ promotion.
Can I just get the disc-based PS3 game now and pick up on episode three? The save from the end of episode two should work, right?

Just beat it, absolutely loved every second. So many great moments and characters, plus the tension was incredible. A powerful story and one that has me extremely excited about interactive movies going forward. If games want to ape movies, this is the best example I've come across.
I agree. My only complaint is that early on they ask you to assume many things about Lee's history that the player can't know yet.

Then they hold you to those assumptions later on as you and the NPCs discover the truth about him. The cop ride at the start of the game would have been perfect for fleshing out a few facts from Lee's past.

I can see if his past was meant to be a big plot reveal or "WOW" moment (actually that would be pretty bad as well since we are meant to BE Lee), but it never is and it's never meant to be. It's just meant to be assumed by the player from the beginning that it is what it is.

Abylim

I completed this game over the weekend, I had a friend over. I was upto episode 4.

He previously said these games were shit, and werent games at all, and how could I possibly enjoy it. I tried telling him that it was deep, and interactive.

Anyways, I'm playing, while hes playing something else on the other tv. A few minutes in, I notice hes paused what hes playing, and is watching. I get to the end of episode 4, and stop to get a drink, and he demands I go on!

I finished it not long after, and we both cried at the end. Holy shit, this game. I bought it off the US PSN (stupid australia) on a whim, but didnt have high hopes, but holy fucking shit. This game! It is probably my game of the year fr 2012. I dont think I've ever been as impacted as I was at the end of this game. I had tears in my eyes the entire time
Clem and I were in that locked up place, after killing the guy that took her

I cant wait for the next season. My friend is playing TWD as we speak, and has had a complete change of opinion on this genre.

Helmholtz

Yeah, the story is amazing. It hooked me in Ep 2.

pje122

Can someone please answer this question?

I played through the first two episodes on PS3 as part of the PS+ promotion.
Can I just get the disc-based PS3 game now and pick up on episode three? The save from the end of episode two should work, right?

Can someone please answer this for me?

Roto13

Right, but I have no interest in starting over.

I think the saves work. If they don't, you can have the game automatically generate decisions for the first two episodes and start up on episode 3. But I'm pretty sure you don't have to.

Mr. RHC

Finished the season a few days ago.

Damn, overused word incoming but this season truely has been immersive.

I loved the story and I love how the decisions integrate in the game and how nicely the dialogue is written.

Shane86

Anyone know if the U.S. PS3 retail version is region locked? Want to buy it as a present but they never bothered releasing it over here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LTTP but started episode 1 and finished it within 2 hours or so.

It's an... alright... game, but I don't really feel any tension against the zombies at times. I'm hoping the later episodes pick that up and kinda drop the stupid "hover over the zombie to kill them" fashion. Like when Lee was at the RV, I commanded to kill one but nope gotta wait and then drop them. Lee can't do that himself. Annoying.

Also apparently I'm one of 23% to choose Doug. Which is a bit funny since
I figured Carley would at least bash one of the zombies in the head with her gun.
On the bright side:
Killed her so her "I KNOW WHO YOU ARE" is taken care of.
Next up on the list is the dick that
wanted to kill Duck (chose him over Shawn because I thought What's-his-face/the dad wouldn't make it in time and if I could pull Duck off he'd run while I dealt with Shawn.)
But apparently from the preview of episode 2 (downloading the 4 now) that's in the cards for next episode that ties up another
"I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, LEE! YOU MURDERER!"
plot-point up.

You really CAN'T save the choice survivors both right? I'm just wanting to make sure I didn't do the stupid thing in regards to it and it's like Mass Effect where the choice doesn't really matter.

Edit: Also it's a little lame that
Hershel and Glenn are only in an episode, I feel. Would rather have Glenn as a survivor even if doesn't make sense in-comic-continuity-wise over some of these survivors at times. :/

Jake

I wish they would update us more on the season 1.5 thing.. I need dates!

I think Fables' formal announcement and Poker Night 2 are getting their time in the spotlight for a bit before things turn to Walking Dead again, but there's plenty going on on the WD front internally at this point.

JustinBB7

I think Fables' formal announcement and Poker Night 2 are getting their time in the spotlight for a bit before things turn to Walking Dead again, but there's plenty going on on the WD front internally at this point.

Yea I guessed. Though Poker Night is only a very small (though fun) game. I still wonder what it's gonna be though. After the last sale 2 of my friends bought it, 1 is playing it now and it's making me crave for new info (or just the new stuff)

Roto13

Psst. Hey.

What was Gary Whitta hinting at exactly?

You can tell me. I can keep a secret.

shogunduk

I finished it last night, only 3 days after buying it, and holy shit wow it really is as good as everyone says. It was a lot less 'interactive' than I imagined but halfway through the first episode I couldn't give a fuck about how the game played and just wanted to keep going for the story and characters. I think I can honestly say this game made me feel more things than any movie or book or tv show has. I'm not sure why though. Maybe I didn't expect to be so emotionally invested in a video game which gives it even more of an impact. Some of the events in the game literally had me staring at the screen with my hands on my head in the "WHAT THE FUCK" position for longer than I'd like to admit. My only regret is not getting the game sooner when discussion was at its peak. I won't make the same mistake for season 2.

Top Bottom