• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z: shady, misleading and false advertising.

Respawning for 50GC aint THAT bad in terms of money, i believe.

$1 in the $10 purchase of GC means 140GC.

But it's something we should not be paying for.

Funny that the updates bring more zombies, that need like 20 hammer hits to die or so.

Deliberate, if you ask me.

I think 1 hour respawn timer was enough, when skill is involved. Remember you can keep playing your hardcore player slots as it doesn't matter if you delete them. The normal ones though, they have skill trees.

Mahonay

Banned
Respawning for 50GC aint THAT bad in terms of money, i believe.

$1 in the $10 purchase of GC means 140GC.

But it's something we should not be paying for.

Funny that the updates bring more zombies, that need like 20 hammer hits to die or so.

Deliberate, if you ask me.
This shit is unbelievable. HOW CAN ANYONE DEFEND THIS GAME?

Yes, I do actually remember them saying something about implementing this kind of system early on. One of the reasons I wanted nothing to do with any of this. Those that are actually surprised this shit is happening? Do your homework as a knowledgeable gamer (I assume you are if you're posting on NeoGAF). You have no one to blame but yourself really, for buying into this crap.

WX3

My gaming buddy bought the $15 package this week before I showed him this, and other threads. So, he offers me a 24 hour pass, and I think I am going to do the right thing and pitch the fucker merely because I'd rather not add a single digit to the player base of this pile of shit.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700/discussions/0/828925216556727065/

They JUST released a new patch. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...
... they actually increased the respawntimer from 1 hour to 4 hours. BUT they added a revivebutton, where you can spend 50GC (real money) to revive them instantly.

Just LOL

wow
is this true? warz forums are too busy right now.

edit: it's true, saw it on their facebook site

That literally made my jaw drop reading that.

elseanio

They've changed the storefront too. Now has the following:

JR7Dg.png

Mahonay

Banned
That literally made my jaw drop reading that.
The thing is, they made no secret of their plans to do this. Sure, they didn't outline it in their upcoming features. In early talks though I do remember this respawn/buy-in system being planned for.

From day 1 WarZ has been invested in some sleazy business decisions. How no one saw all of this coming is beyond me honestly. The writing was on the wall and the developers made no effort to hide it.

Wtf, Are you serious???

35 cents for a revive that takes 4 hours, when you have 5 character slots. Some of which can be hardcore.

Reviving a character means the character is played on normal and you want to continue gaining experience for it.

If all your "normal" characters are dead in the timeframe of the 4 hours, try to at least save one slot for hardcore.

I don't really see the fuss. The 24h initial timer was HELLA BIG.

Bottom line: deleting a hardcore character allows you to create a new one with the same name that can play instantly. Not to mention that skill trees don't exist yet. So yeah, the people who are making a fuss about it don't even have the game.

But my complaints right now:

Zombies hit for A LOT of damage
Take a lot of damage
There's lots of them.

Which is really going to end up with lots of dead characters by zombies.

Mahonay

Banned
You should check out what they do in war inc. A shooter where there are ammo supply crates throughout maps you need money to use
Yep. These guys have a history of this. Again, fucking do your homework people before buying into something like this. You can't be shocked by this stuff. The average informed consumer? Sure. You guys? No. You should know better.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is this the worst abuser of microtransactions now :p

KKRT00

yeah, that makes it a lot better

Thats exactly what i said and gave opinion in my post about this feature ...

And personally i didnt mind that [i wrote same under interview topic], because You can be revived anyway, just after some time [it was 24h at first] and it wont affect real mode = hardcore. I wouldnt mind the same feature in DayZ Standalone for normal if it would give them additional revenue.
Dont care about microtransaction stuff either as long as there is full drop pvp, same i wouldnt mind if they implemented that in DayZ. Noob with good gun or a lot of ammo is still noob that can be killed even with pistol.

Vamphuntr

This looks so bad. Wow so you are in fact paying for an alpha build missing most of the advertised features on the store page. You need to pay a 15$ entry price and then you need to buy in game currency to respawn quicker when you die (wait 4 hours or pay up)? It seems fairly ugly and buggy too.

I'm surprised this ended up on steam while games that aren't a scam are not able to get on there.

How can people defend this?

I know nothing about how the game works but it sounds like they've already crossed the line where they could be willing to stop you from circumventing the respawn timer in a future patch.

Revive button?! What is this, DayZ for suckers and carebears?

/facepalm

Alright. I'm gonna explain it easy.

Imagine you have a game with progression even when dying or no progression when you die. That's what the warZ will do.

Normal mode- You die, you lose stuff, you keep exp.
Hardcore mode- You die. The end.

Normal mode will be that mode to go for those characters you wanna build up. If you DESPERATELY need to level up you may buy a revive (if you can't wait the 4 hours playing another character). Revive means starting again, with the exp/kills you collected.

KKRT00

I dunno, ask KKRT00.

Defend what exactly? Just please dont write 'the game', write actual things i defended.

Change 1 hour respawn to 4 or pay up. Yeah nothing wrong with that.

It will be 24-48h.

Again. This game is on fucking Steam. Hundreds are not.
Fuck it.
Thats actually valid, it shouldnt be on Steam when other more finished games arent or are denied all the time, and that was the most valid argument in TB's preview.

elseanio

War Z Facebook said:
Good fellow asked us "Where're 100 players servers ?". We thought - yeah - why not to let public to have some carnage fun. So we've added some 100 players servers in a mix. Have fun guys - but we must warn you - it'll be blood fest on those servers.

You mean players will die more and need to pay to respawn? Looking forward to those 250 player servers soon :p

Vamphuntr

/facepalm

Alright. I'm gonna explain it easy.

Imagine you have a game with progression even when dying or no progression when you die. That's what the warZ will do.

Normal mode- You die, you lose stuff, you keep exp.
Hardcore mode- You die. The end.

Normal mode will be that mode to go for those characters you wanna build up. If you DESPERATELY need to level up you may buy a revive (if you can't wait the 4 hours playing another character). Revive means starting again, with the exp/kills you collected.

So XP and skills are actually in, then?

Having to pay to respawn in this game is ridiculous, especially when you consider the heavy PvP nature of the game. There will be people camping spawn points and killing people all the time with their advanced gears compared to the crap you will start with.

The company might as well create bots camping areas to make people cough up the cash.

Dibbz

From the Steam Forums

This is the best game I have ever played

This is clearly the best game I have ever seen. Playing with 50 players at the same time without any lag is so exciting! Tell all your friends. It is amazing. Don't listen to any of the haters from earlier. They had trolled you, and now they got bored.
I am moving on to continue playing, because I am already addicted to the flawless gameplay! :)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700/discussions/0/828925849071747809/

Dat flawless gameplay huh

Gotta be someone from the dev team. Everyone is just laughing at him

From the Steam Forums

Dat flawless gameplay huh

Gotta be someone from the dev team. Everyone is just laughing at him

Has his profile blocked from viewing so can't be sure... could just be being sarcastic. Sarcasm fails pretty hard on the internet.

stryke

pointing Pop-in, so sue every modern open world game, fuck sue Crysis 1 or Planetside 2 for that,

At least PS2 can handle over 50 people, tanks, air vehicles on your screen. This game can't even handle one other person standing 1 ft away from you.

epmode

Totalbiscuit is absolutely on point in his criticism of Valve. They're practically complicit in this one and I don't think it's asking much to have them vet their games at least a little bit.

The War Z should be removed from Steam immediately. With refunds, ideally.

Soi-Fong

Totalbiscuit is absolutely on point in his criticism of Valve. They're practically complicit in this one and I don't think it's asking much to have them vet their games at least a little bit.

The War Z should be removed from Steam immediately. With refunds, ideally.

Can't believe that this POS made it on Steam, while other more deserving games are rotting in Greenlight.

Kiyo

You guys realize you have multiple character slots yea? So if you die you can just go play on another character while waiting for your timer. The respawn time was 24 hours earlier in alpha, so them still balancing the time shouldn't be a big surprise.

Shoyz

How is this DayZ ripoff not only Buy2Play but stuffed full of microtransactions, when DayZ was a free mod? Let alone the false advertising.

Mind-boggling that people are supporting this.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You guys realize you have multiple character slots yea? So if you die you can just go play on another character while waiting for your timer. The respawn time was 24 hours earlier in alpha, so them still balancing the time shouldn't be a big surprise.
What if you're a terrible player and waste all your character slots before an hour has passed? Or what if you still want to use the skills you unlocked in your main character? Why is it suddenly OK that the devs put an artificial respawn timer, just so they can charge you real money to skip it?

Top Bottom