• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Western Thread...

0neAnd0nly

Not a genre out there that allows low budget productions to look this good. I prefer a little more Robert Duvall glint in my westerns but this'll do.

Anybody see this? I’m curious how this was.

You guys convinced me to get on a western kick (I actually wear some western clothes and collect some art for a few years now), so when I first saw the thread I figured it was about that - the area, clothes and art. Lo and behold, it was about movies… so I watched:

• Open Range (it was ok, very slow to start IMO with obviously a very memorable final act).

• True Grit (2010), which I thought was ok as well. It was fun with cool quotes, but the final act felt a bit messy and disorganized to me, personally.

I also ordered The Good the Bad and the Ugly on 4K. Ordering Old Henry on 4K as well.

Anywho, on to the next I suppose. Curious about terror on the prairie for anyone who has seen it.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I thought this was a thread where we think about the roman empire...
Anyway as for western movie im a sucker for anything Eastwood reated, Pale rider being my favorite.

0neAnd0nly

old-henry-signature-entertainment-banner.jpg

I've recently watched Old Henry. If you haven't seen Old Henry, go watch Old Henry. The "twist" had me rockin' in my seat.
Tim Blake Nelson is just spectacular in this. He is not a particularly good looking bloke, but his charisma is through the goddamn roof and I could watch him peal potatoes and enjoy myself.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12731980/
119ec6a1bddee6147de1175495f77a03ae4160f8.gifv

Took your suggestion, ordered the 4k BR -

Solid pick up! This movie punches above it's weight considering it's a small, relatively low budget film. There are some pacing issues (IMO) as in in drags a little in some scenes, but that is a pretty minor problem. Really great, gritty flick. I will follow up your suggestion with the suggestion of it myself for anybody interested!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Took your suggestion, ordered the 4k BR -

Solid pick up! This movie punches above it's weight considering it's a small, relatively low budget film. There are some pacing issues (IMO) as in in drags a little in some scenes, but that is a pretty minor problem. Really great, gritty flick. I will follow up your suggestion with the suggestion of it myself for anybody interested!

I hated the casting choice for the lead. An emaciated looking 55 year old man worked against the narrative, imo.

0neAnd0nly

I hated the casting choice for the lead. An emaciated looking 55 year old man worked against the narrative, imo.
I get that, he didn't look particularly strong like you would think he should considering.

But, what I will say is that ...

It didn't bother me, but that is IMO as well. Everyone is welcome to their thoughts and critiques for sure. It's definitely not the typical rough Cowboy lead for sure, but he does have a little edge to him that was fine for me.

Edit: Can you guys see my spoiler tag in this post? DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE, but on my end it isn't showing my spoiler comment I wrote in the middle of the post...

Last edited:
Terror on the Prairie sucked imho.

My favorite ever might be The Salvation.

Other underrated recent ones I didn’t see mentioned anywhere here:

The Duel
Brimstone
In a Valley of Violence

Top Bottom