• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

SublimeO12

Neo Member
Brannon said:
Damn it, my Radeon 4850 HD just isn't going to be enough. I shall have to be patient for now.

Really? I've got a 4850 too, this game won't even run on medium? I was able to push crysis 2 and bulletstorm pretty well. I thought the steam page said the 4850 was a recommended card...

Tokubetsu

SublimeO12 said:
Really? I've got a 4850 too, this game won't even run on medium? I was able to push crysis 2 and bulletstorm pretty well. I thought the steam page said the 4850 was a recommended card...

I don't know how much better a 4870 is but im playing it at 1080 on high with one. (Quad Core and 8 gigs of ram though)

Minsc said:
1) CD key is used from game launcher to register and qualify for free DLC downloads, it's not required to run the game.

2) Patching is done automatically by the game, upon launching or through the launcher. May be other ways, Steam would obviously be automatic for example.
Ok, i'll see how it pans out later. As always thanks for your help.

scy

Good to know that it looks like I can run it on Ultra with a little tweaking to 60 FPS (i5 2500k, 6950 2GB). Now I just have to make it through the day at work.

Oh god, this is going to be torturous.

Brannon

SublimeO12 said:

...forgot to check the steam page :mad:

HEY my card IS there! Patience be damned, I can go ahead to Best Buy and put my gift cards to work!

CPU: i7 930 @ 4.0
GPU: 480x2
Resolution: 2560x1600
Framerate: avg 55

All maxed out, no uber sampling of course (averages 15fps lol)

Salaadin

CPU: Intel i5 750 OCed 3.3Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850 OCed to 760/1120
Resolution: 1920x1080
Preset: Ultra (ubersampling off, other settings highly customized so I wouldnt really call it Ultra)
Location (of test): 1) In town. 2)During battle (up to 5 enemies on screen) with some minor spell effects. 3) At a certain early overlook.
Framerate: 40-60 FPS
Custom Settings:
-Catalyst 11.5a drivers.
-I set the game config to Ultra and did the following:
-Texture Memory Budget set to very high
-Quality of Shadows set to medium
-Disabled all 3 DoF settings (gameplay, filmic, and cutscenes)
-Disabled SSAO
-Disabled Motion Blur
-Disabled Ubersampling
-Disabled Vsync and instead opted for d3doverrider.
-Not sure if this makes a difference in FPS, but I have it installed on an SSD.
-Game feels very smooth even at 45 FPS. Ill run some more tests tonight when I reach some larger areas with a lot going on and report back.

Darkkn

These posts are making me worried about running this game at decent(high) settings on my 5770 radeon :/ Hopefully it works out fine without dropping below native 1080p resolution.

jhawk6

CPU: intel i5 650 3.2 Ghz

RAM: 4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 465 Most up to date official driver 270.61

I want to run the game in 1080p. If I run it on High can I expect ~30 FPS?

RedSwirl

Zeliard said:
TO INVERT MOUSE:

From the User.ini in Documents\Witcher 2\Config:

[MouseInput]
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
MouseDampX=7000
MouseDampY=7000
MouseSensitivityX=0.18
MouseSensitivityY=-0.18
MouseSmoothness=1
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=0
UseMouseDamp=false

Change the MouseSensitivityY setting to a negative value and presto, your mouse is inverted. Quick fix until CDPR adds it to the menu in a patch, if they do.

This doesn't work for the right analog stick on a pad does it?

kage

Please help, even the LAUNCHER can't apply settings anymore... Like, I cannot disable/enable vsync... I can only change resolution and choose a pre-set profile... any individual setting does not apply.

RedSwirl said:
This doesn't work for the right analog stick on a pad does it?

Probably not for a pad, no. There should be a separate setting for pads.

Another important note: these settings won't show at all in your .ini file until you make a change to the default sensitivity setting in game. This had me stumped for like the last half hour. Mouse invert is now working for me.

CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
GPU: 5850 @850/1200
Resolution: 1680x1050
Preset: Ultra
Location (of test): Prologue (few areas)
Framerate: 10-20 (lol)

Preset: Ultra without ubersampling
Location (of test): Prologue in its entirety
Framerate: 30-60, 30-40 outdoors, 50-60 indoors.

Here are a couple of pictures with ubersampling enabled from the start of chapter 1.

http://h-4.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1723-4bte7.png
http://h-4.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1723-4rq8j.png

DangerStepp

Great idea, Minsc! Reserving this spot for later--I'll come back and post up my results once I get my new card installed.

CPU: i7 920
GPU: Radeon 6870
Resolution:
Preset: High
Location (of test): Training Area
Framerate: 40-50
Custom Settings:

Slo

toasty_T said:
Preset: Ultra
Location (of test): Prologue (few areas)
Framerate: 10-20 (lol)

Here are a couple of pictures with ubersampling enabled from the start of chapter 1.

Awesome. Thanks

RedSwirl

Uh oh. Tried to install the game through GOG and it opened up a .bin file in VLC media player. Any way to turn off all affinity for that file type?

RedSwirl

toasty_T said:

Okay, I'm going to be running the game on the same CPU, a 6850 (that's like, higher right?), and on a smaller monitor. This post just encouraged me to go Ultra (without uber of course).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
swo5Y.jpg

I have the facial expression of the left baby right now.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Lonely1 said:
What does ubersampling does?

It looks like with uber on you can see more blood. Check the left corner of this two comparison pics.

LiK

Thanks for this thread. Looks like I can turn everything max but uber will be off. I'll prolly turn it on midgame and see how it runs.

RedSwirl said:
Okay, I'm going to be running the game on the same CPU, a 6850 (that's like, higher right?), and on a smaller monitor. This post just encouraged me to go Ultra (without uber of course).

AMD fuddled up the naming hierarchy with the 6-series so the 5850 is actually a more powerful card than the 6850 (it's closer to the 6870). Keep in mind that mine is overclocked a fair bit but I don't think you'll have a problem with ultra (without uber), especially at a lower res.

Here's another pic but this time without uber. Not in the same location as the other two but you can definitely see the benefits that ubersampling could have had.

http://h-7.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1721-3zute.png

Binabik15

toasty_T said:
AMD fuddled up the naming hierarchy with the 6-series so the 5850 is actually a more powerful card than the 6850 (it's closer to the 6870). Keep in mind that mine is overclocked a fair bit but I don't think you'll have a problem with ultra (without uber), especially at a lower res.

Here's another pic but this time without uber. Not in the same location as the other two but you can definitely see the benefits that ubersampling could have had.

Any tipps or tutorials for OCing a 5850? Only thing I did after getting one was setting the CCC sliders to the max.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Snrub said:
Seems to add more atmospheric/volume lighting?

And am I crazy or is there better texture filtering w/uber?? It's pretty noticeable.
And better AA, (look at the bricks).

toasty_T said:

Oh man. That is absolutely amazing.

RedSwirl

Shit. I just restarted the GOG downloader after uninstalling VLC, and now TW2 is gone from the list. All the chunk files are still in my computer but I can't do anything with them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As I posted my tech stuff last night I didn't realize I did not have my OC enabled. Now I'm actually running at 60fps or higher on ultra without uber. Have AA on and vsync off.

CPU: i7-950 @ 4.0ghz
GPU: GTX 580 OC 900Mhz
Resolution: 1920x1200
Framerate: 28 fps

:eek:

is the game just that good looking on uber? seems crazy to not even get 30fps. Can't wait to get a chance to play this sometime in the next 10 years :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mr. Snrub said:
Seems to add more atmospheric/volume lighting?

And am I crazy or is there better texture filtering w/uber?? It's pretty noticeable.

Ubersampling will primarily increase the quality of texture filtering and anti aliasing. It renders the screen in a higher resolution, then downsamples it to your display resolution, maximising image quality.

Textures are not rendered at a native level, they're rendered at ~4x what you're seeing, so when displayed at your resolution they retain their original quality. Aliasing is removed simply because the aliasing that might be present in the 'full' image is cleaned out when it downsamples.

There's a noticable improvement, but it's not worth the giant performance hit 99% of people will be getting.

Riptwo

RedSwirl said:
Uh oh. Tried to install the game through GOG and it opened up a .bin file in VLC media player. Any way to turn off all affinity for that file type?
There should be a setup.exe file as well as the .bins. No need to worry about running the .bin files on their own!

remz

Fantastic looking game... running on on ultra. without uber obviously but I think I'm averaging around 60 at 1680x1050

specs:

i7 sandy bridge 2600k @3.4
8.0gb DDR3
GTX 570

Top Bottom