• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Mission Accomplished!

Nice job, I thought this patch would fix my framerate issues indoors and it did. what was running slow at 720p before now runs smooth at 1080p.

Glad I kept my CE as I had a feeling a patch would fix my framerate problems.

I have a Asus i7 laptop with 460M.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
jett said:
:| I want to play W2 so badly, I also would like to understand why it runs as badly as my desire to play it. :p
Doesn't hurt trying the patch though! And I can assure you the game is very good ;D

Domstercool

nextgeneration said:
Did the patch improve the frame rate or is it more so the hotfix that's caused your huge spike in fps? Or is it a combination of both?

Both, but the hotfix added more of a increase than the patch.

gdt

Patched stabilized it a bit, mostly 30-35fps (high with a few things turned off, some turned up), with some drops here and there in the prologue. Also some jumps to 40 here and there too. Very happy with that.

eXistor

Hmm, seems my framerate went up with about 5fps (averaging at about 40 now), but my texture quality isn't very good now, even though I have the same settings as before.

jett said:
:| I want to play W2 so badly, I also would like to understand why it runs as badly as my desire to play it. :p

what us your system?

I had major framerate problems especially indoor areas fixed with patch on my i7 laptop with 460M graphics

gdt

razgriz417 said:
Also, if anyone has yet to dl their preorder dlc, this should help.
http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/34/

Apparently instead of using their servers, they are using automated email addresses, email one about your problem and you get a link to dl the dlc, though I'm wondering if I should just email them all...

edit: beaten

How do I obtain Troll Trouble, or is that already included in the patch we just got? It wasn't that big a file...

Aeana

gdt5016 said:
How do I obtain Troll Trouble, or is that already included in the patch we just got? It wasn't that big a file...
Troll.dzip showed up in my GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC folder after running the patch, so I guess it's there now.

gdt

Aeana said:
Troll.dzip showed up in my GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC folder after running the patch, so I guess it's there now.

Yeah, it's there.

I never preordered the game, am I still eligible for all of the dlc stuff just posted?

gdt5016 said:
Troll trouble was a very small download to begin with. Probably because it was integrated into the existing environment.

I think Troll Trouble's separate release was probably meant to test their DLC delivery system, which failed.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
eXistor said:
Hmm, seems my framerate went up with about 5fps (averaging at about 40 now), but my texture quality isn't very good now, even though I have the same settings as before.
I noticed the textures look quite blurry at angles, didn't seem to be that way before. Anyone know if you can force AF without breaking the game yet?

mileS

whats everyone got the LOD distance setting at? I'm not sure if its just me or not but with it set to "Far" I seem to notice the pop in a bit easier compared to "Normal"

but if I just focus on one thing (a tree for example) the far setting seems to be much better. I did notice that even if you set the preset to Ultra the LOD distance only goes up to normal.

Nekrono

So I open up Steam to see if the patch was already available and I am greeted with a 9GB's update from The Witcher 2 I thought it was an error or something so I come here and the Steam forums and this shit is normal?

Jesus not everyone can download 9GB in a couple hours or has unlimited download caps, especially when the patch is what, 16MB's?

This is the first time this happens (at least to me) except that one time I applied to the Steam Beta when it got a major overhaul and it corrupted one of my game files and had me download it again.

Is this really because of Steam not able to modify files within containers? Because if so it sounds like they did an awful job structuring this game, but most importantly is this going to happen everytime an update gets released? If so I regret buying this on Steam, should've gone with GOG.

bee

cool that the patch is finally out, i will finally start the game properly tomorrow

all those tweaks certainly helped with performance :D

1080p, all settings max, uber off, 16xhqaf forced, 3D vision enabled

Kyaw

Alright then. I will have to wait for Liquid or someone else...

Or i could dig up the posts again

Or i could tweak stuff myself ><

Domstercool

Looking at this tree gave me 135 fps lol

witcher2treexuls.jpg

gdt

W7 users, if you have problems installing the dlc items, run the .exe as an administrator. That let me install all that stuff.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How do I know if my game has been patched? I didn't notice any process when I started it and starting the patcher doesn't do anything... But I'm getting the post-patch bug some people mentioned, where there's no voice over sound...

gdt

Alextended said:
How do I know if my game has been patched? I didn't notice any process when I started it and starting the patcher doesn't do anything... But I'm getting the post-patch bug some people mentioned, where there's no voice over sound...

Check if you can invert the ax...ii.

Or axis'.

i have the retail version of the game with the GOG version of exe and paul.dll...which version of the patch should i get? I get an error if i try to install the international version

Minsc

Gold Member
Alextended said:

I presume the easiest way is if you have an option to invert x/y axis now.

jett

D-Member
Installed the patch...it starts up faster, but seems to run about the same. 20fps at the beginning, swings wildly all the time. I'll try to play it with this framerate, if it doesn't drop below 20 I might endure it...but the swings really annoy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nope, don't have that anywhere in the launcher or in game. Is it not available for the gog version yet?

mileS

Okay i'm no longer pissed off :D

Downloaded the 11.5b drivers and the new patch. I wasn't expecting a huge leap in performance but overall I have to say the game is running even better than it did before. I was worried about the 11.5b lighting issue but I don't seem to have it. Maybe that only applies to people running crossfire.

specs - i5 750 (2.67GHz) /4gig ram / 5850 1gig
Running 1080p Ultra settings with no uber obviously. SSAO, Motion Blur, Vignette, and Bloom off. I would say my avg frames are around 45 now. Running around outside Floatsam in the forest seems to be the biggest increase so far. It seems to be responding better to D3DOverrider's Vsync as well now.

Alextended said:
Nope, don't have that anywhere in the launcher or in game. Is it not available for the gog version yet?

Goto gog.com /Your account /Games then the patch should be under additional content when you click on The Witcher 2

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
jett said:
Installed the patch...it starts up faster, but seems to run about the same. 20fps at the beginning, swings wildly all the time. I'll try to play it with this framerate, if it doesn't drop below 20 I might endure it...but the swings really annoy.

What are your system specs? Maybe you should hold off your playthrough until you maybe pick up a better card.

Echoplx

Alextended said:

Go to your gog account and click on the witcher 2, the patch should be on the list that pops up.

jett

D-Member
AwesomeSauce said:
What are your system specs? Maybe you should hold off your playthrough until you maybe pick up a better card.

My specs are pretty crap, I'd have to pick up a new system not just a better card. :p

gdt

jett said:

Maybe try to lock it with that program Aenea posted? Just lock it to a low, but endurable, framerate. I don't know how it works, specifically, though.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
jett said:
My specs are pretty crap, I'd have to pick up a new system not just a better card. :p

Well i have a crappy e4400 c2d overclocked @ 3.0ghz and a gtx260. My processor sucks big time as i don't even get a fps boost dropping the res to 720p lol. Anyway game runs pretty comfortable for me, so far only floatsam has been kind of an issue.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I definitely got a nice performance boost thanks to the latest patch and AMD drivers.

I do have a question, though: How can I map the buttons to my PS3 Dual Shock that I'm using as a 360 controller via Motioninjoy?

Varna

This patch fucked me up. LOD seems all fucked up now. I can see the terrain changing now as I am walking and there is a top of pop-in. Looks terrible!

Launcher seems really sluggish now too. What the fuck... :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
jett said:
When did you buy yoiur computer? Don't you have a 4850?

Varna said:
This patch fucked me up. LOD seems all fucked up now. I can see the terrain changing now as I am walking and there is a top of pop-in. Looks terrible!

Launcher seems really sluggish now too. What the fuck... :(
Did you check your settings before you launched it? My settings were reset to low after installing the patch and so was my user.ini.

Minsc

Gold Member
There's been some mention @ GOG forums of the new patch breaking DOF entirely on both ATI and nVidia (would explain some of the framerate boost). Anyone here notice DOF stop working?

It was said not to work even after restoring settings in the inis.

mileS

asked earlier but didn't get an answer. Does anybody have LOD distance set to Far? I'm asking because if you set the preset to ultra LOD is "Normal" and the High presets have it at "Near"

Gameplay DOF still works fine for me Minsc.

Varna

Hellsing321 said:
Did you check your settings before you launched it? My settings were reset to low after installing the patch and so was my user.ini.

Yup. Checked .ini too.

Figures I would have issues after a patch. Aside from the occasional button lockout and mini-map glitching out my game ran perfect. :(

Ploid 3.0

MrOogieBoogie said:
I definitely got a nice performance boost thanks to the latest patch and AMD drivers.

I do have a question, though: How can I map the buttons to my PS3 Dual Shock that I'm using as a 360 controller via Motioninjoy?

b5ecdc71086d3338e78a98d183a5e958aae8c935.jpg

Select it, then hit enable button, and test vibration just to be sure.

Kabuki Waq said:
i have the retail version of the game with the GOG version of exe and paul.dll...which version of the patch should i get? I get an error if i try to install the international version

guys anyone have an answer to this? I keep getting the incomplete game error when i try to install the game. look like i may have to re install the game...is there anyway i can keep my gamesaves ?

Top Bottom