• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreda

thewitcher-headinglhu07.png

The Witcher is a fantasy tale set in the kingdom of Temeria, it was adapted from a series of novels by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski. The Witcher universe is a cut above your
average fantasy setting thanks to it's mature approach to story telling and it's morally ambiguous themes. There are no true heroes or villains, only conflicting agendas and ideas.
There are no color coded responses, only shades of grey.

The Witcher tells the story of Geralt of Rivia, who specializes in slaying monsters and solving human problems. Geralt is a Witcher, a breed of mutants who are specially trained to
protect humans from monsters. Witchers are often reviled by common people, being seen as unnatural or dangerous due to their superhuman abilities and unusual appearance, but
they are the unsung heroes that common people often turn to when they need to get something done. When Geralt's not busy plunging his silver sword through the heart of
drowners, he can be found pounding dwarven liquor at an inn or bedding the wenches-in-distress who he has saved from monsters and humans who act like monsters.

Heads up: Use [spoiler][/spoiler] tags for potential spoilers and clarify what's being tagged! All downgrade talk belongs in the the downgrade topic.​
timeline-wholekzst4.png

story-headingcouba.png

The world is in chaos. The air is thick with tension and the smoke of burnt villages. The fearsome Empire of Nilfgaard has struck again, ravaging the hapless Northern Kingdoms. The
once mighty northern monarchs who tried to use Geralt and his friends for their own gain are now mostly gone. In these uncertain times, no one can say what fortune holds in store,
who will bring peace to the world and who will cause it only misery. But a force darker and deadlier emerges. The petty men and women commanding tin-plated armies fail to
understand that their conflict is child’s play compared to the Wild Hunt, the otherworldly threat which now looms. These ghastly spectral riders have for ages plagued humankind,
bringing misery to the world.

Yet this time the Wild Hunt seeks one person in particular: the one individual Destiny itself bestowed upon Geralt, the one soul Geralt considers kin and would do anything to protect.
features-heading-wholrjo37.png

» The main story takes around 50 hours, and approximately double for full completion.
  • There are three different endings and 36 different variables that affect the game’s world final state.
  • The prologue itself is 3 hours, and set in an open location with additional activities to explore.
  • Previous experience with the Witcher series is non-essential to enjoy Wild Hunt as the game will fill you in.
» 4 difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Dark, that can be changed at any time. There is no permadeath; the Dark
level is simply more difficult than Hard.
» Delays to the main mission have no consequences but ignoring certain side quests (those important for the game world)
may have.
» Andrzej Sapkowski wasn't involved in the creation process and states that the games are not directly connected to the
book canon.
features-gameplayhead7fud0.png

» A vast open world with 3 distinct main areas - 35 times larger than that in The Witcher 2.
  • Dynamic weather and realistic day and night cycle.
  • New in-game economy varies price of goods based on surrounding conditions or their place of origin relative to
    Geralt's whereabouts.

» After the prologue, Geralt can travel anywhere.
  • No loading screens when entering buildings, only preceding changes from large locations.
  • Fast travel is unlocked by discovering signposts.
  • Places worth visiting and undiscovered points of interest are marked with a question mark.
» Monsters’ levels are fixed, rather than scaled. Players need to gain experience to survive certain areas.
  • Health bars are displayed over enemy heads. You will also see information on the opponent’s level and the type of
    sword you should use against them (silver or steel).
  • Each with their own lore, monsters pose unique hunting challenges and respond to changes in the environment.
» Combat complexity based on a variety of actions at the player’s disposal, not on correct attack sequencing.
  • Head shots using a crossbow have a significantly increased chance of a critical hit, which deals much more damage.
  • Geralt can drink potions during combat, but carry weight is limited.
  • No QTEs.
» An expanded Sign casting system: each of the 5 Signs has two different modes of use, creating even more possibilities
in combat and challenging players to use magic in creative ways.
» Eating and drinking replenishes Geralt’s health.
  • There is no automatic health regeneration. However, abilities in the character development tree impact speed of health
    recovery on eating. Also, meditation replenishes health.
» Items wears out. As Geralt’s crafting knowledge is limited to Alchemy items will need to be repaired by craftsman.
  • Upgrading weapons requires specific schematics, ingredients, and craftsmen. Craftsmen come in 3 levels of skills
    available: Journeyman, Master and Archmaster. The better the item, the more skilled craftsman is required.
    Archmasters have to be unlocked by completing special quests.
» Geralt can jump this time. Booyah.
  • Dynamic beard growth. Note: when using the 'Beard and Hairstyle DLC' to reset Geralt's beard to dynamically grow
    again choose to shave it.
» Gwent, a collectible card game. Players can purchase and win cards as they progress, then use those cards to take on
other Gwent players in the game.

» After the credits you can continue to play with the same equipment and skills you had at the end of the game.​
features-technicalhea6gupn.png

» Retail copies of the PC version come with a game key for GOG.com that provides updates and DLC.
» 30 FPS across consoles. PS4 @ 1080p/30fps and Xbox One @ 900p/30fps.
  • Check play time in the Inventory by pressing R2. Note: the counter includes standby.
» No microtransactions.
» Customizable HUD with each element of HUD able be turned off individually in addition to opponents’ health bars and level
information.
» Regardless of location, players will be able to change language and subtitles at will. Depending on the region, the
number of available languages may be different.
» The PC version has the ability to import saves from The Witcher 2.
  • Optionally, players on all platforms are able to state their previous choices during a scripted scene in Vizima.
» For PCs the multi-threaded RED engine scales to the highest graphics on the basis of the available configuration, rather
than being optimized for a particular thread count.
  • Currently not possible to set draw distance for the PC version.
  • Modding support via the REDkit Editor, but not at launch. The developers promise to release REDkit editor faster
    than they did for The Witcher 2 (almost a year after its release).
  • To disable the 'gamepad has been detected' popup see this post.
characters-alt92rdb.png

Geralt of Rivia is a Witcher and our hero for this game. Geralt is known also as Gwynbleidd (Elder Speech meaning "The White Wolf", a name which was given to him by
the dryads), as well as the Butcher of Blaviken. Despite his name, Geralt does not come from Rivia: he grew up in the Witchers' keep of Kaer Morhen.
Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon (known as Ciri or the Lion Cub of Cintra) is the princess of Cintra, daughter of Pavetta and Duny (Urcheon of Erlenwald) and granddaughter of
queen Calanthe.
Yennefer of Vengerberg. She is the love of witcher Geralt of Rivia and a mother figure to Ciri — the child destined for Geralt by the Law of Surprise.

Geralt and Yennefer first met in a city called Rinde and didn't hit it off so well at first, however he later saved Yennefer from an extremely powerful Djinn (or Genie) which she
was trying to capture unsuccessfully. It turns out that Geralt is tied to the Djinn by three wishes, two of which have already been used. Geralt uses his last wish to entwine
his fate with Yennefer which saves her from the Djinn's wrath.

Geralt and Yennefer are truly in love, however they have an interesting relationship of a very on and off again nature, when it's on this is something Triss was very jealous about.
Triss Merigold of Maribor is a sorceress. She is best friend's with Yennefer while also being unhappily in love with Geralt who cares for her deeply but can never truly love
her back because of his bond with Yennefer.

Triss took care of Ciri at Kaer Morhen for some time and is like an older sister to her. She was a member of King Foltest's royal council, as well as a founding member of the
Lodge of Sorceresses. She has been a main character in both of the Witcher games and the primary love interest in both.

Triss is a very skilled healer and carries with her many magical potions, yet she can never use them on herself as she is allergic to magic. She is also quite a powerful
mage, certainly when it counts most.
Dandelion is everyone's favorite poet, minstrel, bard and the closest friend of Witcher Geralt of Rivia. In many way's Geralt is Dandelion's Muse, often placing himself into
the story as the hero with Geralt appearing as his sidekick.
Vesemir is the oldest and most experienced Witcher at Kaer Morhen. He is a father figure to Geralt and the other Witchers. He spends each winter in the fortress and sets
off on the road when spring comes. He is an excellent fencer and has great knowledge of monsters. Despite his age, Vesemir is robust and lively.
Emhyr var Emreis is the current Emperor of Nilfgaard. He is publicly favorable towards the Elder Races (Elves and Dwarves), generally this is in stark contrast to the
Northern Monarchs.

His rule of Nilfgaard is highly aggressive, similar to his predecessors; always backing large expansionist policies. This led to the two wars against the North described in the
novels. Emhyr var Emreis is an intelligent and brilliant ruler. He picked his people well and crushed all plots against him. He was ruthless toward traitors and moved towards
his goals with determination.
The Wild Hunt is a group of specters, led by the King of the Wild Hunt, who are considered to be an omen of misfortune, death and war.

Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri have all come into close contact with the King and his specters, either directly or through dreams. In the The Witcher 3 it is speculated that the
Wild Hunt will return in an attempt to find and capture Ciri.
Leshen (also known as leshy) is a forest monster that is described as something that "lives only to kill". When they kill something or someone, they do not leave much for
the carrion eaters. One of the many monsters in the Witcher 3.
screenshots-videos-hen6pru.png

dlc-wholemskgr.png

CDPR have announced two major expansions for The Witcher 3, entitled Heart and Stone and Blood and Wine available
together as part of the Expansion Pass. Both expansions in the Expansion Pass will include new enemies,
characters, and gear. Additionally some ‘dearly missed’ characters from both the games and books will be featured.

The Expansion Pass is available now to buy either with the game or separately if you are purchasing a physical copy.

» Hearts of Stone (coming October 2015):
  • Heart of Stone is a major expansion that will total 10 hours of additional content. Geralt will adventure into the wilds of
    No Man's Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt, where he will try to complete a contract from the mysterious
    Man of Glass. Caught in a thick tangle of deceit, Geralt will need all his cunning and strength to solve the mystery and
    emerge unscathed.

» Blood and Wine (coming early-mid 2016):
  • Blood and Wine is a major expansion that will total 20 hours of additional content. A tale that will introduce the all-new
    in-game region of Toussaint and will take Geralt to a land untainted by war, where an atmosphere of carefree
    indulgence and knightly ritual masks an ancient, bloody secret.

geraltfromcover-trans09ows.png
geraltfromcover-transwfr5e.png
yenneferdlcpack-transv0rmn.png
yenneferdlcpack-trans3wqv8.png
yenneferdlcpack-trans1cosq.png
leshenrender-transpareuqxj.png
leshenrender-transparzdr8r.png
leshenrender-transpars8pk4.png
trissrender-transparec7rwg.png
trissrender-transparebqp7b.png

trissrender-transparew3og3.png
geraltfullbodypose-tr21pu7.png
geraltfullbodypose-trejo4p.png
caranthirrender-trans4ko0b.png
caranthirrender-transmxoq5.png
cirirender-transparen4spwf.png
cirirender-transpareninppa.png
dandelionrender-trans3xp38.png
dandelionrender-transgorue.png
eredinrender-transpar4do4h.png

eredinrender-transpardopg5.png
imlerithrender-transpbxrat.png
imlerithrender-transp2jp1q.png
vesemirrender-transparhqz5.png
jumpingwolf-transpare54pqy.png
jumpingwolf-transparek8p59.png
yenneferrender-transp3np83.png
yenneferrender-transpsnr0v.png
yenneferrender-transp78png.png
yenneferrender-transpidrax.png

recap-heading-top94px4.png

This section is aimed at updating new The Witcher fans with the narrative basics in preparation for Wild Hunt. Written from
a perspective of no prior novel knowledge, only information supplied in-game. Special thanks to GAF'er favorite and Witcher
aficionado EatChildren for the original (and larger) infographic from which this is adapted.​
recap-graphiczzqmb.png

And so Geralt enters the final stage of his journey. Nilfgaard successfully invaded, sweeping across the Northern Kingdoms,
through some resistance remains. Emperor Emhyr var Emreis seeks Ciri, the ashen haired girl from Geralt's past, claiming
she is connected to a prophecy. Meanwhile Yennefer, Geralt's lost lover sorceress he saved from the Wild Hunt, has too
reappeared, now in the North, also searching for Ciri.

While men war and spill blood, a full moon omen sees the manifestation of the Wild Hunt wraiths in physical form, the King of
the Wild Hunt locked on a mission not unlike others: Ciri.​
updates-headinghborx.png

Patch v1.06 (2015-06-15) Hotfix out now for PC said:
  • Fixes the endless loading screen when fighting the Ice Giant during the quest 'Lord of Undvik'
  • Geralt's clothes will no longer be wet after leaving the menu
  • The gate in the crypt now works correctly during the quest 'Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear'
  • Fixes the lack of interaction with Roche on Oxenfurt Bridge in the quest 'Get Junior'
  • Fixes an issue that prevented players from creating more than one item via Crafting/Alchemy
Mad Season said:
The new Nvidia drivers crash randomly when using chrome on desktop. People that are crashing make sure to exit chrome in the background.
Xbox One players - don't shut down your system with the instant on function enabled while the game is still running as it causes your game to fail saving the next time you go to play - losing all of your forward progress. The Xbox will have to be hard reset for the game to load any previous saves.

I'm currently testing leaving the instant on enabled, but dashboarding and quitting the game before shutting the Xbox off. Hopefully a viable workaround until patched.

[Note: see also the CDPR thread]
PS4/Xbox players - There are reports of a bug where playing the card game Gwent crashes the game. See this possible workaround.
Climbing can become bugged, preventing progress, so check you can climb every now and then. Patches are coming soon™.
creditse4rcn.png

NoRqd79.gif

georly

Amazing OT again. Really can't wait to keep playing this game some more.
Game still crashes every 30-60 minutes on my 660 tho, so I need to wait for more driver/game updates until that stops.

scitek

Team Triss here, but only because of a huge absence of Yen in my game so far, and my thing for redheads.

Migrating to this new home. Bulletpoints seem borked/weirdly parsed on mobile but that might just be a normal combination of mobile and bulletpoints.

Love the thread title.
I'll still be petitioning for "Radovid sucks flaccid cock" for OT3.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh god I need more Gwent cards. The high stakes tournament peeps are destroying me.

Lingitiz

One of the few games I've beaten once and started over again immediately without feeling any fatigue. It's amazing.

link1201

OT2 looks good. I am really anxious to play some more.....stupid work getting in the way. 3 days is not enough.
Damn, we went through the first OT fast. This game is GOAT material for me, as I expected it would be.
I am right there with you I am loving it so far.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
go into your inventory and then press R2/RT.

Then you can see all the stats and in the left bottom your playtime.

I've had both glitches screw up my counter on PS4. It accelerates while paused and keeps going in rest mode. I pause and keep the game suspended a lot so my playtime is longer than the game has been out LOL

OmegaDL50

"CD Projekt Red's third and final game of the Witcher trilogy"

Didn't CDPR state that this was Geralt's last game but not the last Witcher game.

Excellent OT though, very nice presentation.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
like i said in the other thread

w1c7sn8.png

fuck

Yeul

Yay OT2! I just started my second playthrough last night after giving it a few days break after beating it on the 20th. This time I'm actually trying to find all of the gwent cards and it's addicting as hell. Some of them are actually hard to get considering how sometimes the opposing side's AI just bombards you with spy cards, medic cards, heroes, etc. and I'm stuck drawing like...all neutrals.

bryanee

Just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out this Of Dairy and Darkness side quest and it turns out I need to progress the story more. A fecking warning before I started the quest would of been nice.

yay! I will say it again.

This game is amazing, however on PS4 it runs really bad. Its almost a joke. If the writing and story weren't so good. I would probably give up. hit detection, frame rate.. bugs are all out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom