• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

ViciousDS

Banned
restarted last night on X1 and noticed my PS4 save from beating the game was from 1.06 I think right before the inventory and movement changes.

But holy shit GOTY got even more GOTY..........I can now pretty much spam the grab button and just horde everything and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Lender

Not to tell you how to play but complete the "Looking For Ciri..." quest line in both Velen and Novigrad before leaving for Skellige. The change in environment will be incredible.
I did the same. Arriving in skellige after being in Velen all the time was such a pleasant surprise. Not that Velen isn't cool, but skellige is just amazing.

X-Frame

Velen is technically the main map of the game. White Orchard, where you started, is the "small" prologue area. So yeah, Velen is fucking gigantic.

But what you're describing is accurate, yes; if you're finding side quests (or quests in general) too high level, too difficult, then progressing the main quest will help bring you up to speed. Remember that quests are marked with a recommended level too, giving you an idea of what is/isn't doable at your skill level (it isn't always accurate, but it's a decent guide).

Wild Hunt is indeed structured in a way that deters "clearing out" areas. Reason being that it's more true open world than something like Inquisition. I too fell into the early pitfalls of clearing out the Hinterlands before moving on, because I didn't want to miss anything (I did ween myself off this though). Wild Hunt is instead a whole bunch of quests and stuff scattered across the map, with no uniformity on difficulty and challenge. So it's not like the bottom half of Velen is easy, and the top half is hard. You'll find easy stuff all over the map, and hard stuff right where you started.

Due to the nature of design it's pretty much inevitable that you will miss something, come back later and find it only to realise you're significantly over levelled and it's a breeze. But in the grand scheme of things there's not a whole lot that gets entirely cut off. A handful of quests become inaccessible after a certain point in the story, but if you just arrived in Velen you're a long way from that.

AFAIK arriving in Velen you basically have three leads to try and locate Ciri. These are your three main objectives, and each will lead you all across the map, and can be completed in any order.

Thank you EC! That definitely helps and I totally understand. I guess the quests I've been trying as a level 5-6 are Level 10 and yet show up in green as doable, but challenging. I'll keep exploring and eventually come back to finish these quests that are too difficult now, especially once I get better gear.

I'm so excited to know that I've barely started the game, haha.

Gah! Just finished the main story finally and got the "bad ending" which soured my experience slightly seeing I'm usually all for the suprhappyunicornsandbunnies-endings. Tried to revert to an earlier save too to see if some of my choices changed things but it seems the ending had been decided by my decisions much earlier on. Cool design though and this is definately my GOTY regardless and I look forward to starting the expansion and maybe finish off exploring and completing some of the remaining Contracts.

To all you people who got the game for christmas, enjoy and stick with it. This is one game everyone should experience.

Ciri's ending depends on
how you interact with her during 5-6 critical moments throughout the game and whether or not you've completed the Assassin questline.

Decided to save the old tree monster thing from the Downwarren quest this time instead of killing it to see what gets changed.
Kids saved but everyone in Downwarren murdered, Anna dead and the Baron hung...gotdamn

Karl Hawk

Banned
Ciri's ending depends on
how you interact with her during 5-6 critical moments throughout the game and whether or not you've completed the Assassin questline.

Actually, its 5 critical moments (1 is completely optional and that is visiting Emhyr with Ciri). IIRC, doing the horse robbery doesn't affect Ciri's ending

Repo Man

Ciri's ending depends on

Yea I read afterwards what I should have done in order to get a merry ending.

After recovering a bit and having time to digest it all, the bad ending doesn't bother me that much and it had a sort of fittingly grim tone to it leaving you to think that no matter what Geralt does, his job will never be finished.

lt519

Never played a Souls, Bloodborne or Witcher game and started this last night. Started on the difficulty below the Death March and proceeded to lose the first fight against the Ghouls, but finished them off the second time. I'm guessing the combat takes some time getting used to.

Visuals are pretty good and the script is entertaining. The Witching mode and movement are pretty clunky though, definitely disappointed in that. Just moving around buildings isn't comfortable. Going to dive in a bunch more tonight, a ton of the points of interests just opened up.

X-Frame

Never played a Souls, Bloodborne or Witcher game and started this last night. Started on the difficulty below the Death March and proceeded to lose the first fight against the Ghouls, but finished them off the second time. I'm guessing the combat takes some time getting used to.

Visuals are pretty good and the script is entertaining. The Witching mode and movement are pretty clunky though, definitely disappointed in that. Just moving around buildings isn't comfortable. Going to dive in a bunch more tonight, a ton of the points of interests just opened up.

I have the same 2 feelings. Though I am only on the second difficulty for combat. It seems like I do well if I attack quickly in short bursts then back off or sidestep, then a couple more attacks, another sidestep, etc etc. Not sure if there are better ways. I suck with parrying and almost always take damage, need to practice that.

I also feel the same about the Witcher mode and close space movements. I think it's because the camera can stay pointed the same way but the character can move and face different directions. Personally, I'd like the camera to just stay locked to whatever direction the character is facing, not sure of the repercussions of that though.

Lender

I have the same 2 feelings. Though I am only on the second difficulty for combat. It seems like I do well if I attack quickly in short bursts then back off or sidestep, then a couple more attacks, another sidestep, etc etc. Not sure if there are better ways. I suck with parrying and almost always take damage, need to practice that.

Go higher, the game is a lot more fun in terms of combat on higher difficulty levels.

Personally, I'd like the camera to just stay locked to whatever direction the character is facing, not sure of the repercussions of that though.

That would be troublesome in combat. These games have more of a focus on group encounters(outside of the monster contracts) so that would be very frustrating. If you're having trouble focusing on something indoors, then use Witcher sense.

Finished today, fucking amazing game. Got the ending i wished for too.

Still, i fucked up romancing triss AND yen, but honestly i couldn't choose just one :/

What ending is considered cannon? Does anyone know this?

Raxus

God Skellige is a fucking nightmare to navigate it. Buying those fast travel maps are fucking life savers.

My Gwent deck is pretty strong too but I feel I still have large gaps in my gwent collection. Poor Nillfguard has no faction specific legendaries.

Mysterious Elf is opey dopey.

Still, i fucked up romancing triss AND yen, but honestly i couldn't choose just one :/

I know that feeling man, at least there's always Crippled Kate's
mjcry1.png

Raxus

I am still scared to death I didn't take the 'safe' route and romance Triss because I am deathly afraid I am going to miss the companions achievement. Apparently as long as you complete Triss's side story Yen invites her to come along anyway.

Triss is always the right choice.
Nah, I'll probably go Yen my next playthrough.

There is no cannon yet.
I hope they choose the Empress one.

I just found out that in the bad ending
you get to kill the last crone.

This game.

lt519

You can change that in the settings to a much more responsive movement if you'd like. Geralt turns on a dime with the alternate movement.

Good call, someone (edit: ^I think the guy above me^) in the GAF GOTY thread mentioned that to me too, I'll do that tonight.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I am still scared to death I didn't take the 'safe' route and romance Triss because I am deathly afraid I am going to miss the companions achievement. Apparently as long as you complete Triss's side story Yen invites her to come along anyway.

Triss will be absent (If you don't romance her that is) after completing her side-story till a certain point in the game.

Lender

I still prefer Triss. It's not that I have anything against Yen, on the contrary, but Triss is just cooler and sweeter. Perhaps I'll choose Yen in a next playthrough, just to see what has changed.

Anyway, I see that the original Witcher is 1.19€ on Steam. Since I've never played the first one I think about trying it after finishing the third one, and to have a Witcher marathon going from 1 to 2 and then playing the third one again. How does the original hold up today? Any mods that I can use to make it play a little better if necessary? Any good graphical (overhaul) mods available?

Karl Hawk

Banned
I still prefer Triss. It's not that I have anything against Yen, on the contrary, but Triss is just cooler and sweeter. Perhaps I'll choose Yen in a next playthrough, just to see what has changed.

Anyway, I see that the original Witcher is 1.19€ on Steam. Since I've never played the first one I think about trying it after finishing the third one, and to have a Witcher marathon going from 1 to 2 and then playing the third one again. How does the original hold up today? Any mods that I can use to make it play a little better if necessary? Any good graphical (overhaul) mods available?

Witcher 1 is outdated in terms of combat mechanics (As much I loved the dance-like group style) and graphics in some aspects, but it still holds up in terms of story and dialog IMO.

You should download this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/256/?

It allows you to move faster since the default movement speed is slow as heck.

I believe you should hold off using graphical mods for your first playthrough in Witcher 1

Lender

Witcher 1 is outdated in terms of combat mechanics (As much I loved the dance-like group style) and graphics in some aspects, but it still holds up in terms of story and dialog IMO.

I believe you should hold off using graphical mods for your first playthrough in Witcher 1

Thx! I heard the same from other people as well. Combat mechanics a bit dull, but story and dialog still awesome. Sounds good enough, would mainly play it for the story.

ANy reason why I should hold off using graphical mods for my first playthrough?

I'm level 6, was trying to do the woodland monster sidequest and apparently picked the wrong option and the
elves
tried to fight me, they were level 9 so I just kinda noped out of there, but I lost my weapons... What do?
Also what's the point of having a quest suggested for level 6 if the enemies are 3 levels above?

Karl Hawk

Banned
Thx! I heard the same from other people as well. Combat mechanics a bit dull, but story and dialog still awesome. Sounds good enough, would mainly play it for the story.

I believe that its better off playing the first game on vanilla graphics while doing the first playthrough

Sure, the graphics are for the most part outdated as fuck, but I'm one of those guys who likes to play games in the dev's vision before modding the shit out of it. :p

Question on the Heart of Stone DLC: I just picked up W3 on the steam sale, but did not get any DLC, just the base game. Is the DLC something that happens at the end of the game? Or does it add more content in the middle? If it is middle, I guess I will have to buy it now, because I really don't care to replay the game after I finish it just for the DLC and/or have the DLC be way to easy due to an end-game character. I'm hoping it is post-game content because then I can enjoy W3 now (which is likely to be quite a long game) and then pick up the DLC some months from now the next time it is on sale so I can revisit the game without getting burned out on it.

Second question: Is it supposed to be really long to level up in the game? I've cleared the entire first "zone" and done all landmarks and quests that I can see... but I'm hardly into level 4. Now in the second zone everything around is double my level... I saved some guy from being hanged and even the peasants in the mob were level 8! Everything still seems doable, but I'm just wondering if I missed something in the first zone to still be only level 4...?

Question on the Heart of Stone DLC: I just picked up W3 on the steam sale, but did not get any DLC, just the base game. Is the DLC something that happens at the end of the game? Or does it add more content in the middle? If it is middle, I guess I will have to buy it now, because I really don't care to replay the game after I finish it just for the DLC and/or have the DLC be way to easy due to an end-game character. I'm hoping it is post-game content because then I can enjoy W3 now (which is likely to be quite a long game) and then pick up the DLC some months from now the next time it is on sale so I can revisit the game without getting burned out on it.

Second question: Is it supposed to be really long to level up in the game? I've cleared the entire first "zone" and done all landmarks and quests that I can see... but I'm hardly into level 4. Now in the second zone everything around is double my level... I saved some guy from being hanged and even the peasants in the mob were level 8! Everything still seems doable, but I'm just wondering if I missed something in the first zone to still be only level 4...?

That was me yesterday, just do story quests and you'll catch up.

luoapp

Heart of Stone is an independent story-line from the main game, and can be done either way.

The game gives you way more exp for completing quests than killing monsters, especially completing the main quests. So, if you feel a little bit under leveled, try to catch up with a main line a bit more.

Triss is always the right choice.
Nah, I'll probably go Yen my next playthrough.

There is no cannon yet.
I hope they choose the Empress one.

I just found out that in the bad ending
you get to kill the last crone.

This game.

My choices led me to:
- Cerys as Queen of Skellige, Nilfgaard taking the territories, ciri living her life as a witcher and geralt alone

Tbh, when all was said and done, Triss was the sweeter and most awesome partner in the game. I was in awe of her power in [/spoiler] defend kaer morhen [/spoiler] and i love how she wasn't manipulative as Yen was. However, i guess i couldn't resist the last. Seriously she's like the most beautiful female design i've ever seen in this media.

Damn, guess i'll be faithful in the next playthrough :/

How sad is it that I haven't booted this game up in weeks because I'm crippled between choosing triss or yen.
I'm staring at the icon on my PS4 wanting to play. I'm at the quest to romance Triss and I can't choose. 😔😔
Someone convince me one way or the other.

Lunar15

How sad is it that I haven't booted this game up in weeks because I'm crippled between choosing triss or yen.
I'm staring at the icon on my PS4 wanting to play. I'm at the quest to romance Triss and I can't choose. 😔😔

Flip a coin. It honestly doesn't make a huge difference in the game.

Lender

PvewX1W.gif

Little hole in my gut now. So sad it had to end. :( But what a game. Tied with Bloodborne for GOTY.

The bug I had with the earlier side quest
Deadly Plot
sure had big consequences.... Because of it
Radovid lived, won against Nilfgaard and murdered tons of people on the stake. Kinda feel bad I got this ending out of something I had no control over. I wanted to kill that cunt

Anyway, other than that the ending was just perfect.
The fight against the Wild Hunt at the end was just perfect. Nearly shed a tear when Ciri entered the portal. Then did shed a tear when Master Ort made Gerald a new sword which I named Swallow. I thought it was a great way to honor his daughter. And then you come in the tavern, and she removes her hoodie. Biggest smile on my face. I love Ciri.

Anyway, the rest of my ending was like this:
Cerys queen, Nilfgaard lost because of my annoying bug, I move together with Triss and Ciri becomes a Witcher

Something which did bug me was the fact that I didn't hear anything about Yen? What did she go? Where did she go? The game made no mention of her whatsoever before the end titles. Or did I miss something?

Witcher 1 is outdated in terms of combat mechanics (As much I loved the dance-like group style)and graphics in some aspects, but it still holds up in terms of story and dialog IMO.

Group style is awesome.

The Witcher 1 plays fine, but it takes some time to get use to and you must use potions. Don't expect good combat, it's strengths are great narrative and atmosphere.

Flipyap

Triss's sex scene is funnier, but she disappears from the game shortly afterwards and you hardly get to talk to her even when she comes back for a moment.
Yennefer remains a part of the story until the very end, but she's Yennefer.

So, the obvious answer is Triss, but it really doesn't matter. If I knew how poorly the game is going to handle the relationship subplots, I'd choose neither.

trembli0s

Just finished Hearts of Stone after finishing the main game. This game is just so damn good. I could easily spend $30-$40 a year just downloading piece meal expansions to this game if they would make them.

My ending was one of the "good" ones apparently but just incredibly bitter-sweet.
Not sure if I don't think Ciri as a Witcher wasn't a "happier" ending but... I think she's better where she is. Finished with Yen but I also think the Triss ending fits more in line with what Geralt would want.

But man, that HoS questline was just stellar. The atmosphere just oozes out of everything and turns the game into a pseudo horror one.

I played a sword & signs witcher with Griffin points primarily. Any other play styles out there which people would recommend for NG+?

Quick question, on my second playthrough now, of course, like many of you saps I pushed my luck with both Triss and Yen at the same time during my first playthrough.

Now, I want to stay with Yen, what do I choose when
it comes time for Triss to leave on the boat. If Geralt doesn't say he loves her, is she gone for good?

Lender

Quick question, on my second playthrough now, of course, like many of you saps I pushed my luck with both Triss and Yen at the same time during my first playthrough.

Now, I want to stay with Yen, what do I choose when
it comes time for Triss to leave on the boat. If Geralt doesn't say he loves her, is she gone for good?

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember reading she comes back no matter what you say to her.

I also want to try and dive into the books. First off, I'm not an avid reader. And I don't read books in a matter of days, but I'm just so drawn into the world again that I might just give it a go. But where do I begin?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher#Books

Can I just begin with the 'Saga' books? Or do reading the 'Witcher Stories' first hold a significant advantage?

Flipyap

I also want to try and dive into the books. First off, I'm not an avid reader. And I don't read books in a matter of days, but I'm just so drawn into the world again that I might just give it a go. But where do I begin?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher#Books

Can I just begin with the 'Saga' books? Or do reading the 'Witcher Stories' first hold a significant advantage?
Definitely read the short stories. Most of the main characters are introduced in those and they lead directly into the long form novels. They also handle most of the series' worldbuilding, making its world sound more colorful and unique than the novels' more conventional fantasy setting. Plus, most of Geralt's monster hunting adventures happen in the short stories, you wouldn't want to miss out on that either.

Start with The Last Wish, then Sword of Destiny (wow, the wikipedia entry made the chronology sound unnecessarily confusing).

Hypron

Hey guys, this is driving me crazy.

I'm about to start playing TW3 and want to import my TW2 save.

The issue is that the save is from 2011 and back then the game didn't autosave after talking to Letho at the end of the game. If you import a save from before you talk to him the game will assume you
killed
him, which isn't the choice I made.

So I installed TW2 again and loaded my save again... But there's a bug that prevents me from talking to Letho. I read online and apparently it's an incompatibility between the enhanced edition and older saves... I don't have any older saves either.

This is pretty frustrating, I want him
to live
he's a pretty cool guy. Anyone's got any suggestions on how to fix this? :/

Cheers!

Coreda

I'm about to start playing TW3 and want to import my TW2 save.

The issue is that the save is from 2011 and back then the game didn't autosave after talking to Letho at the end of the game....

This is pretty frustrating, I want him
to live
he's a pretty cool guy. Anyone's got any suggestions on how to fix this? :/

From what I've read there is no difference between importing a W2 save and choosing the previous outcomes using the 'simulate save' option before starting a new game, apart from the drunk tattoo some got in W2 which only carries over using an imported save. So if you wanted to skip the hassle of fixing a buggy save that would be the way to do it imo.

Her face looks more like Khaleesi to me, lol.

Seriously. What a blend. Edit: wait, speaking of blends it's photoshopped. Here's the original cosplay photo.

Top Bottom