• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

MartyStu

I don't think so. Personally never looked for anything like that. Seeing how powerful both are, it would probably break the difficulty even more. Even on NG+, the game is considerably easier than the normal NG because you have access to so much from the start.

The main obstacle to doing the runewords early on is the gold. Once you get gold, you can start messing with them.

Hmm, which why I think a full re-balance is what we need. New words/mutations and tiered balancing for them.

I think both the words and the mutations add the additional RPG layer that the base game is missing and would like access to them earlier than later.

Hmm, which why I think a full re-balance is what we need. New words/mutations and tiered balancing for them.

I think both the words and the mutations add the additional RPG layer that the base game is missing and would like access to them earlier than later.

That's a good idea. Might be too difficult to do though with the limited mod tools. I wish they'd done a Enhanced Edition. Even if they didn't add any new content, just doing some balance changes and fixes would have helped a lot.

I see watching Gophers playthrough of HoS that they never fixed the travelling merchants bug. I wonder if the bug with Axii was ever fixed? Last time I checked was before B&W came out, but that bug was there literally from launch. There was a long ass forum thread and I personally sent in bunch of info to help the reproduce it, but apparently it worked as intended for them.

ParityBit

When you say finish the main game, does this include all the missions which do not have the expansion pack name next to it? I am working on cleaning up quests around my level before I continue (and most of the '?' marks)

leng jai

E3 dodge mod is out. Yeeees!

Some other mod suggestions.

Ghost mode. One of the best rebalancing mods out there. Busy using it now. Requires a new game to work properly though in my tests. Made by the same person who did Friendly HUD. Only thing I don't like is that all alchemy stuff has weight again, which is more annoying than useful.
Nitpicker's Patch. Fixes nagging visual issues.
Toxicity - Clean Face and Screen. Does what it says. No more zombie Geralt and green VFX effect when you overdose.
Witcher Book Collection. Restores a bunch of text that was hidden for seemingly no reason. Additional books / notes for quests, misc text ect. It's good stuff. Is included in Ghost Mode. Also fixes Thaler's monocle in the Frying pan quest. Looks dope.
Both hands on Sword. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) It just looks cool.
Triss DLC Hair & TW2 Triss Is nice.

The new dodge animation looks ridiculous.

Game still manages to amaze me with how good it looks.
21ef63a9a9.png

6f46e459c7.png

MartyStu

That's a good idea. Might be too difficult to do though with the limited mod tools. I wish they'd done a Enhanced Edition. Even if they didn't add any new content, just doing some balance changes and fixes would have helped a lot.

I see watching Gophers playthrough of HoS that they never fixed the travelling merchants bug. I wonder if the bug with Axii was ever fixed? Last time I checked was before B&W came out, but that bug was there literally from launch. There was a long ass forum thread and I personally sent in bunch of info to help the reproduce it, but apparently it worked as intended for them.

Adding new ones may not be possible, but I think some numbers can be played with.

I might need to give this some thought and make a mod of my own.

How do I deal with having a 100% completion OCD and slowly getting burned out by the game? I'm about 13h in and checking every question mark, doing all the quests and so forth. I like it but it's honestly sooo big to the point where I feel like it slowed down to snail's pace. Didn't have this problem with Witcher 1 and 2. Just not doing all that optional stuff is sadly not an option.

JustinBB7

How do I deal with having a 100% completion OCD and slowly getting burned out by the game? I'm about 13h in and checking every question mark, doing all the quests and so forth. I like it but it's honestly sooo big to the point where I feel like it slowed down to snail's pace. Didn't have this problem with Witcher 1 and 2. Just not doing all that optional stuff is sadly not an option.

It's worth it. After you beat all the main/side quest and expansions you just feel empty inside. Extending your playtime as much as you can is the only way to stall for the end!

Coreda

Whats a good way to make money early on? Also, is it worth buying equipment or do you pick up better stuff anyway?

Generally I found it was looting enemies and most other things (outside of any guard's view) and selling what you don't need, which is pretty much the standard method throughout the game. Individually some things may seem low value but collectively it adds up. There are/were some loot exploits but I never found the need for them from what was made selling miscellaneous items. Honeycombs also fetch a decent sum from the herbalist in White Orchard, if you're still in that area.

For armor merchants are pricey so it can be better to craft your own stuff after finding/buying the diagrams if you have the right materials, or just wear what's found until you can. You'll find better swords just from exploring. For the most part loot scales with your level, though there are some exceptions for certain high level items.

Angst

Turn off point of interest on the minimap.

Anyone seen this?

Pure sex.

Code:
[IMG]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mtsd4fA7gOo/WLVI1vu6pYI/AAAAAAAANh0/HFhiApcDAFIOhgL4ulXtcysQo4lvEDqXACLcB/s1600/a1.jpg[/IMG]

haozz

I got this game over the weekend for PS4just as hype is max for Horizon.

Well it's been fun. Haven't played a big RPG like this before. Kind of overwhelming.

Negatives are the menus being slow, and waiting forever to load after dying.

The "Bitter Harvest" quest on Death March difficulty is some BS. I honestly find Death March trivial (1st playthrough) but having to keep a scrub NPC alive sucks man.

OG Kush

Can anyone explain why in you're inventory, each item has its value in coins next to to it, but when you go to a merchant then never buy it for that value? They always pay much less, and then if I sell but want to buy it back i have to pay much more.

Oh and also, is repairing weapons jusy a part of the game or am I doing something wrong that every 2 hours or so I have to repair a weapon? I don't see what's the point in blocking if it damages your weapon. Then it costs a lot to repair and I haven't run into much of them weapon repair kits. As such all my fights revolve around dodging, but I'm not sure if this is what you're meant to be doing :/

Can anyone explain why in you're inventory, each item has its value in coins next to to it, but when you go to a merchant then never buy it for that value? They always pay much less, and then if I sell but want to buy it back i have to pay much more.

Oh and also, is repairing weapons jusy a part of the game or am I doing something wrong that every 2 hours or so I have to repair a weapon? I don't see what's the point in blocking if it damages your weapon. Then it costs a lot to repair and I haven't run into much of them weapon repair kits. As such all my fights revolve around dodging, but I'm not sure if this is what you're meant to be doing :/

don't bother with repairing weapons unless it's Witcher gear

just loot a new one

Luxorek

Easy. You're never gonna get the full amount of coin that's given in the item description. Velen is war torn and poverty stricken so you're not gonna make much money there, when compared to Oxenfurt or better, Novigrad.

There are some rules to how economy works in this game. Sell weapons to blacksmiths and armor parts to armourers - they will pay you nominally more. I also advise saving your relic weapons and selling them later in Novigrad. In Velen sell your hides and food to innkepers in Lindenvale and at Crossroads' Inn.

Here is an interactive map with all the merchants [and much more].

Maintaining your weapons is a part of the game you have to get used to. Sometimes enemies drops repair kits, but I simply advise buying some kits on your own. Just the basic versions, skip the more expensive ones. I think in Oxenfurt [or maybe Novigrad] you can buy the schematics for the kits and make them yourself much more cheaply.

ParityBit

I just finished the main game! Nice ride that took me on. I think I got almost every '?' except for a couple of skull creatures.

How long are the other 3 exp packs? I did a bunch of the first one, and the initial stuff in the second (by mistake)

I have been playing since the Xmas Steam sale ...

JustinBB7

I just finished the main game! Nice ride that took me on. I think I got almost every '?' except for a couple of skull creatures.

How long are the other 3 exp packs? I did a bunch of the first one, and the initial stuff in the second (by mistake)

There are only 2 expansions. Hearts Of Stone and Blood & Wine, play Hearts Of Stone first, Blood & Wine last.

MadYarpen

I think you can achieve 50 h of playtime with both expansions.

ParityBit

Ooops, sorry. Yeah I mean the 2 exp packs. Thanks! Going to start on them too. I have no money now from upgrading all my armor/weapons and the
new crafter
!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Seems the runewright is not worth the investment given both the expense and the addition of new things to buy in Blood and Wine.

Am I crazy in thinking that he's best saved for last once all other big ticket items are purchased?

Seems the runewright is not worth the investment given both the expense and the addition of new things to buy in Blood and Wine.

Am I crazy in thinking that he's best saved for last once all other big ticket items are purchased?

Tier 2 gets you access to the sword enchantment Severance, which is one of the most absurdly overpowered things in the game. Most of the other stuff he sells is basically useless, and definitely not worth the $30,000 investment it takes to unlock all three levels. But put Severance on a sword, and Whirl becomes a spinning vortex of death 10 feet in every direction. Even better is Rend. The ability says the longer you hold it down, the stronger the attack is, but the secret to Rend is that it is unblockable. So instead of charging it to the max, start charging it and immediately release so it uses up virtually no stamina; then you immediately do it again. Repeat until whatever you're fighting is dead. Severance increases the range on that attack by nearly 2 meters, and it basically makes you unstoppable. Get yourself a sword with a high chance of landing critical hits and you'll be dealing unblockable high-damage strikes with over twice the range of your normal attack.

Here's a video showing how to do the quick rend (which still works).

Tier 2 gets you access to the sword enchantment Severance, which is one of the most absurdly overpowered things in the game. Most of the other stuff he sells is basically useless, and definitely not worth the $30,000 investment it takes to unlock all three levels. But put Severance on a sword, and Whirl becomes a spinning vortex of death 10 feet in every direction. Even better is Rend. The ability says the longer you hold it down, the stronger the attack is, but the secret to Rend is that it is unblockable. So instead of charging it to the max, start charging it and immediately release so it uses up virtually no stamina; then you immediately do it again. Repeat until whatever you're fighting is dead. Severance increases the range on that attack by nearly 2 meters, and it basically makes you unstoppable. Get yourself a sword with a high chance of landing critical hits and you'll be dealing unblockable high-damage strikes with over twice the range of your normal attack.

Here's a video showing how to do the quick rend (which still works).
My memory is a little hazy, but I found Severance, Levity (makes non-light armour count as light armour, so you can use it with School of the Cat upgrade thingy) and the auto arrow deflection one to be useful. The latter more as a quality of life thing (I eventually went for Levity instead). Levity is great if you want to wear the Manticore armour while still dealing awesome sword damage.

Prurient

Banned
I've been playing the heck out of this game since buying it after Christmas, and I'm loving it so much, had a couple of small questions:-

-How important is armour when playing on the lower difficulty settings? I'm at level 39 and left my Undvik armour behind many levels ago, but I miss it and don't think anything has compared since.

-I have a weird bug after doing the
painting
quest in Hearts Of Stone. I seem to have a couple of things that I can't read, meaning every time a quest updates it appears on screen telling me to press the button to read it, but I can't. Any fix to this? It's more an annoyance than anything.

-Finally not a question but an observation really, what's up with the character bios spoiling quests? I like to read everything as it updates to keep on top of what's new to read, but twice in my playthrough the biography gave me info I hadn't reached yet!

So wondering if I messed up?

I'm near the end I think.

I just got Ciri back to the fort and the White Hunt is approaching. However after I finished the quest a deadly plot I didn't get the next quest. Apparently I have to do some other stuff including start something to get reason of state started. Because I already helped the mages flee can I not do this now? Does it come later?
I think the outcome can impact the ending of the game which is why I'm asking now.

So wondering if I messed up?

I'm near the end I think.

I just got Ciri back to the fort and the White Hunt is approaching. However after I finished the quest a deadly plot I didn't get the next quest. Apparently I have to do some other stuff including start something to get reason of state started. Because I already helped the mages flee can I not do this now? Does it come later?
I think the outcome can impact the ending of the game which is why I'm asking now.

Reason of State
happens later. You're not as close to the end as you think you are. It will start as part of a main story mission a little bit later. But a bit of warning (and a small spoiler):
if you choose to harm Dijkstra during that story mission, Reason of State will automatically fail
. I didn't know that on my first playthrough and I really wish I had.

Coreda

I got some prints/posters printed and framed...

JZSkNVV.jpg

Mind me asking where you found a high resolution version of the center illustration? Or was it bought like that?

From what I know it was originally an exclusive Gamescom poster but during making the OT2 couldn't source a higher res version (otherwise I might have been able to widen the entire OT since that was one of maybe two graphics with no larger version available).

Mind me asking where you found a high resolution version of the center illustration? Or was it bought like that?

From what I know it was originally an exclusive Gamescom poster but during making the OT2 couldn't source a higher res version (otherwise I might have been able to widen the entire OT since that was one of maybe two graphics with no larger version available).

http://www.thevideogamegallery.com/gallery/image:22053/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt:promotional-poster

It's a 300dpi version and luckily the art style of this poster means the print comes out nice, even at that size.

In fact, pretty much all the source files for the posters came from that site. They have quite a few that are very large and good enough to be printed.

Reason of State
happens later. You're not as close to the end as you think you are. It will start as part of a main story mission a little bit later. But a bit of warning (and a small spoiler):
if you choose to harm Dijkstra during that story mission, Reason of State will automatically fail
. I didn't know that on my first playthrough and I really wish I had.

Ah ok, thanks.

And wow, I thought I was right at the end.

Another reason why
Reason of State
was a terrible quest.

*Shove
Dijkstra aside
.*

Geralt punches him twice, and then breaks his other leg.

Nailed it, translation team. :p

Been playing some Gwent recently and it's making me feel like I should go back to Witcher 3 and actually finish the damn thing. Picked it up day 1 but got side tracked by "real life" stuff just after and haven't been back to it since.

It's a given I'll be deleting my save and starting over, can't remember a bloody thing about the storyline...

Coreda

http://www.thevideogamegallery.com/gallery/image:22053/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt:promotional-poster

It's a 300dpi version and luckily the art style of this poster means the print comes out nice, even at that size.

Ah, looking at it the image is an up-scaled version of a smaller source, probably the one I had. A couple nice renders I haven't seen on the site though, including
a graphic of the title screen with Ciri instead which is neat
(can't tell if this could be interpreted as a spoiler or not but tagged anyway).

Game takes a complete nosedive in pace once you hit Novigrad, what is happening? I've been 6 hours in the city and there was virtually no gameplay so far at all. I find this mind numbingly boring.

Game takes a complete nosedive in pace once you hit Novigrad, what is happening? I've been 6 hours in the city and there was virtually no gameplay so far at all. I find this mind numbingly boring.
Yes, yes it does. It's because they had to cut a heap of content they had planned for Novigrad, and the end result is that although they managed to stitch everything back together, the pacing is off. If it's getting tedious, don't be afraid to head to Skellige, where everything comes together again :)

All that shit about
Dandelion
in Novigrad made me stop playing for a good while. I just couldn't care.

How much content are we talking about?

Nordicus

All I know is that it involved
Iorveth, and dealt with the non-human oppression under Radovid
. In addition to time constraints on the development side, I think they felt that it took the focus too far away from Ciri.
Oh man, considering one of the consequences of Triss' questline, that would have been awkward a fuck.

All I know is that it involved
Iorveth, and dealt with the non-human oppression under Radovid
. In addition to time constraints on the development side, I think they felt that it took the focus too far away from Ciri.

Actually, all we really know about Iorveth's role was that he was a secondary character in a massive questline in Velen involving the Nilfgaardian war effort, and an "outbreak" (Yeah right, Emhyr) of the Catrioana. The Devil's Pit would have been used as a dumping ground for all the plague victims. He would have teamed up with Roche, Ves and Thaler to get the cure from a guy called Martin Kraft Ebbing. He was a rogue Nilfgaardian scientist who had a flair for summoning demons, and one of his demon "pals" would have been O'Dimm. Some or all of the voice acting for Martin was done by David Annen, the guy who did Dethmold and BB. This questline was the original version of HoS before it was completely redone for the expansion. It's called Wojna (War) in the leaked docs.

The leaked docs suggest that there was also another questline he was involved in, in Novigrad, directly related to the future of the Scoia'tael. This quest involved Isengrim from the books and also Vernossiel, who did make it into the game during the Woodland Beast quest. There's two locations still in the game, called Iorveth's House and Isengrim's favela, but I can't find where they're supposed to be. I don't know if by accident or not, but they left a line of dialogue that plays in the Scioa'tael camp that Iorveth and Isengrim had been spotted in Novigrad. There's also a few quest items, like Iorveth's letter and arrows, but they're blank.

Unfortunately the cut affected Iorveth just as much as it affected the Temerians. Apparently, we lost some great scenes with Ves as well.

This is how a version of the War questline played out from the leaked docs. Looking at the leaked docs after seeing what Patrick Mills posted on somethingawful, it's clear that the majority of those docs are very unfinished and outdated. They had progressed very far along when it got cut, so it's a bit sad that they couldn't tweak parts of the story and release it in the GoTY edition. After all, they did say in the 2013 Game Informer reveal that Iorveth was not the man he was before, so they had obviously planned for this to be in there from the start.

In Novigrad, they also cut a quest involved Geralt infiltrating a paedophile ring. It was apparently very sensitive and they had rewritten the quest twice already. Doug Cockle completed the voice acting for this as well, and by their own internal guidelines, quests are only voice acted when they're almost locked down.

Yes, yes it does. It's because they had to cut a heap of content they had planned for Novigrad, and the end result is that although they managed to stitch everything back together, the pacing is off. If it's getting tedious, don't be afraid to head to Skellige, where everything comes together again :)

Thanks. I definitely want to continue the game and I do have some patience but I swear it's been been point blank 6 hours of nothingness ever since I hit the city. I'll definitely continue though, game is awesome. It's just that I don't feel like binging it at the moment like I did in Velen.

Good to hear it gets better afterwards.

edit: Yeah, I'm looking for
Dandelion
now and this has been going on forever and hasn't been interesting at all. I think I'm coming close to finding
him
though.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Tenacious-D, that was a great recap of the cut content and nice links as well.

Cheers! And thanks for posting.

I can already see the 2026 headlines of a fan-made restoration project.

Tenacious-D, that was a great recap of the cut content and nice links as well.

Cheers! And thanks for posting.

I can already see the 2026 headlines of a fan-made restoration project.

My pleasure. ;)

Unfortunately, a restoration mod is unlikely unless someone leaks an earlier build and the full redkit. Other than some hidden locations (Iorveth's House, Isengrim's Favela, Fringilla's Hideout ect), and a few unusable quest items, there's nothing left in the files to restore. I'm still hoping for a surprise EE release for Scorpio and PS5, but that's a long shot. :p

Coincidentally, I was watching some video about choices I never picked, and the Peller dropped this line during the botchling quest:

"The invaders will be punished, that's sure. Perchance they've already been. A pestilence grips their camp and will devour them all. As the mice devoured the lord's court." - refering that what happened on Fyke Isle with the plague will happen to the Nilfgaardian camp.

Pretty sure that line directly refers to the planned plague outbreak. That, and the line in the Scioa'tael camp about Iorveth and Isengrim being spotted in Novigrad makes me wonder just how late this stuff got cut.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
"The invaders will be punished, that's sure. Perchance they've already been. A pestilence grips their camp and will devour them all. As the mice devoured the lord's court." - refering that what happened on Fyke Isle with the plague will happen to the Nilfgaardian camp.

Pretty sure that line directly refers to the planned plague outbreak. That, and the line in the Scioa'tael camp about Iorveth and Isengrim being spotted in Novigrad makes me wonder just how late this stuff got cut.

That's a great point. Plus with mention of Fyke Isle I would be willing to bet that Geralt's decisions in A Towerful Of Mice may have had more realized ramifications.

I believe the bestiary mentions the Plague Maiden, if allowed to escape, causes a particularly nasty outbreak of the Catriona. Unless I missed something I don't believe this is ever depicted in-game.

My gut would tell me that Emyhr would be behind an "accidental" outbreak but I wonder if this could be proof of another cause.

Shame all we can do is speculate.

As for the PS5/Scorpio/whatever EE I too believe this game has run its course in terms of content. Still I'd be ecstatic if that happened. If any dev were to pull a fast one like that CDPR would make my short list of likely suspects though.

And hey, if fans can restore KOTOR 2 cut content you never know!

Top Bottom