• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Sai

I was legit disappointed when I first found out that the skull-faced jerk following you around in the first Witcher was just a giant elf.

Has CDPR even suggested that more enemies 'n contracts will be added via the two upcoming expansions? I hope they bring the Alps or Bruxae back, 'cause that CG launch trailer really had me lookin' forward to fighting one of 'em.

squidyj

I actually love the idea that, although strong, they are "regular" and "vulnerable" dudes, but from other reality. Eredin intentions clash with Geralt and his friends, but he's (and the Wild Hunt) not the evil monsters they appear to be at first glace hidden behind their masks.

I mean, those elves DID wipe out all the humans on their world.

Sai

Unless something changes under
Nilfgaard/Ciri's rule
... At least, that's what I hope, 'cause they really did make the situation seem kind of bleak. :(

NeoGiff

Eredin seems a lot less threatening when you translate his name from Irish to English.

Eredin Bréacc Glas = Eredin Green-Trout

Nilfgaard doesn't persecute nonhumans, quite on the contrary. They have elven ancestry and are quite proud of it.

Unless you count that they used non-humans (Scoia'tael) to attack the North in a proxy war, then handed them over to be executed when their offensive failed, in turn pretty much wiping out most of the remaining young elves that could have procreated, leaving what's remaining (old and mostly sterile elves) in Dol Blathanna.

Nugg

Hey guys, I have an issue. I'm sorry if it's been answered before. Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, the game won't save anymore, unless I run it as an Administrator. It's pretty inconvenient. What should I do?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I have an issue. I'm sorry if it's been answered before. Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, the game won't save anymore, unless I run it as an Administrator. It's pretty inconvenient. What should I do?

I can save just fine on Windows 10. Not sure why you're having this issue.

I think I'm getting burnt out by this game. I'm finding myself skipping through dialogue because I'm so tired of listening to people talk lol. I'm even skipping the Dandelion and
Radovid assasination
side quests because I honestly do not care about what happens.

I'm at the wake in Skellige, are things going to pick up soon or should I just drop it and play something else?

Well that's odd. I told them both
ily
That's either a bug, or you're mistaken (maybe you reloaded the wrong save file at one point, where you hadn't said that to one of them?). In terms of the ending,
if you tell both Triss and Yen that you love them, you should get a threesome scene where they tie you to a bed and then leave you there. At the end of the game you're told that Geralt lived out his days alone.

Davide

I think I'm getting burnt out by this game. I'm finding myself skipping through dialogue because I'm so tired of listening to people talk lol. I'm even skipping the Dandelion and
Radovid assasination

I'm at the wake in Skellige, are things going to pick up soon or should I just drop it and play something else?
Just finished it last night, the Dandelion sidequest gets way more exciting than it seems. I'd recommend it.

Another good sidequest in Skellige is The Phantom of Eldberg contract.

I think I'm just going to power through the main quest. 30+ hours in (I think, I haven't actually checked) I can officially say I'm not a fan of like... anything related to the actual gameplay. Especially the combat. I'm even using more signs than just Quen to murder everything and it isn't any more interesting.

It's a shame too because the game is gorgeous (dat Skellige) and the presentation is excellent. But the rest of it kinda sucks.

Damn it. YouTube's suddenly trying to spoil the ending on me, recommending "WITCHER ENDING ____" videos all of the sudden.

Why do you hate me, Google?! I'm trying to listen to Witcher-related music, that's all...

Just finished the game finally. 75 hours.

What a game. A modern masterpiece.

My ending
had Ciri become Empress. Temeria became it's own state again. The goodbye between the two characters was tough, but I think overall it's a good ending. I just went and read the alternatives and the Ciri becoming a Witcher one might be better, but I'd have to see it for myself.

Best game ever.

RedSwirl

One thing that's getting on my nerves is how all the categories in the crafting/alchemy lists are always open when I reach those menus, meaning I have to always close them to get all the way down to the diagram I want to see. Is there a way to make them default to closed?

O.DOGG

I now have that post-open-world-game depression, where even if you have stuff left to do it feels...empty.

Give it some time. I've finished the game more than a month and a half ago and didn't feel like playing after that. Now the prospects of New Game+ are making me go back and just roam around and clear the ?s on the map and I find that it's fun again! So give it some time, play something else and come back to it in a week or two.

misho8723

Banned
Radovid assasination

Hmmm.. I started to play the game after a week it was released, playing basically only it now - in more than 2 months I have 135 h in the game, just now I did find Dandelion, never been to Skellige yet, and still I can't play another game than this - well, sometimes I fire up Rocket League, but that's it.. fantastic game.. loving every moment in it - apart from the perfomance because I have a fucking old machine...

But my advice for you would be to let go for some time W3 and just play sometimes else.. if the need for W3 kicks back in, you can returne to it.. if not, then there's no reason to forcing yourself to play a game which you don't enjoy at the moment

My Geralt has become a Gwent fiend, just finished up the Return to Crookback Bog quest but visited all of the inns and merchants with gwent cards for sale in Novigrad and Skellige without doing any quests.

I know I could have just waited till i progressed there naturally but i just have a crazy compulsion to get whatever cards i can...

"Yes I know you have monster troubles, I'll get to that soon..but..just a few rounds of Gwent?"

8bitsuperhero

Neo Member
I have a question about the series, and this seemed like the place to ask. Are The Witcher 1 and 2 worth playing, or should I just jump into The Witcher 3?

ebevan91

I have a question about the series, and this seemed like the place to ask. Are The Witcher 1 and 2 worth playing, or should I just jump into The Witcher 3?

Honestly I'd just jump in at 3. Read summaries of TW1 and TW2. The stories aren't connected anyways.

MAYBE play TW2? TW1 will be a chore to get through.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This game or GTA V - if I'm looking to get maximal playtime for my dollar?

Haven't played GTAV, but there is a ridiculously insane amount of content (and good, well-written content at that) in this game. GTA games in the past have had a lot of content but a lot of it felt throwaway and not as high quality as the main missions. The side quests and activities in W3 are almost as good if not better than the main quest, which is pretty damn good to begin with.

Well GTA V has an online component (the heists in particular are amazing) so there's probably more playtime there. But in terms of SP, the Witcher 3 definitely has more content (and trust me, GTA V is no slouch in that department either!). I will also say that the Witcher 3 has quests structured in a way where you never feel like the game is repeating itself: every quest or region seems to offer something new or different. GTA V on the other hand has plenty of quests (missions) where it feels like the only new thing about them are the character names.

GTA V and The Witcher 3 are probably my two favourite games on the current gen consoles though, so you should try and pick both of them up in my opinion - they're both fantastic value for money :)

danthefan

So, I lost my 30-ish our game save due to my PC going nuts.

I'm going to restart the game, and this time I'm going to play Gwent as I totally ignored it the first time.

Would anyone have a link to a decent guide that might tell me who to play, which cards are important to pick up early on, etc?

Edit - I didn't realise there was a Gwent OT, I'll check that.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing I did in my initial playthrough is rush through Skellige. At the time I was really interested in unraveling the main plot and after having exhausted all the quests in Velen I decided to ignore Skellige and hit it up on my second playthrough.

I'm now doing a completionist Death March run and have done pretty much all the sidequests and contracts in Velen. Just as I was starting to get burned out from doing all these quests twice I suddenly get to Skellige and realize that I have an entire continent's worth of brand new quests I've never seen, in a landscape I didn't really explore, with the most amazing music I never really paid attention to. It's like getting a new expansion pack! What a great, refreshing feeling.

If the expansion pass is anything like this (adding new areas and quests) then I'll definitely be picking it up.

Denton

The best thing I did in my initial playthrough is rush through Skellige. At the time I was really interested in unraveling the main plot and after having exhausted all the quests in Velen I decided to ignore Skellige and hit it up on my second playthrough.

I'm now doing a completionist Death March run and have done pretty much all the sidequests and contracts in Velen. Just as I was starting to get burned out from doing all these quests twice I suddenly get to Skellige and realize that I have an entire continent's worth of brand new quests I've never seen, in a landscape I didn't really explore, with the most amazing music I never really paid attention to. It's like getting a new expansion pack! What a great, refreshing feeling.

If the expansion pass is anything like this (adding new areas and quests) then I'll definitely be picking it up.

They already said the first expansion will add new questline with new characters into Velen/Oxenfurt, while the second one will take place in new area of Toussaint.

Finally had time to finish the main quest line - did pretty much everything bar some contracts and the odd side quest in Skellige.

Got the ultimate bad ending - Ciri dies, Geralt is sad and alone. Pretty much expected Geralt just to hang himself from a tree and fade to black for a minute there

To be honest I was bit miffed I ended up with the 'bad' ending after looking up the criteria - my personal experience was that I felt I had positively helped Ciri at every opportunity, but looking at the specifics I seem to have failed by selecting the wrong dialogue options in 3 conversations. I certainly didn't feel like I had destroyed her confidence and caused her to die, so the end result felt a bit dissonant, but I guess that's not the narrative the creative guys wanted to weave. That said, I do like a bad ending to a story, it's quite refreshing.

I also ended up killing Keira (after ploughing her), and ploughed literally every arable piece of land in the game according to the wiki, so I feel pretty good about that. Everything else was fairly standard.

Fantastic game, probably the best game I've played in a good few years, and a good palette cleanser after the bowel-shattering borefest that was DA:I.
Not sure I have the energy to jump back in any time soon though, not after that ending...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is, by far, the best demonstration of my new 1440p monitor over 1080p. With a few tweaks to rendering distance (particularly foliage) and some balanced use of negative mipmaps the clarity and density is simply fucking incredible.

Majestad

Banned
This game is fucking blowing me away all the time. Glorious visuals, amazing music, the setting is engrossing as fuck. Even the combat which some describe as weak I have a long of fun with.

This is becoming my game of the generation. First Witcher game too.

Denton

Olek on reddit posted amazing album of Novigrad 5K shots:

http://gifyu.com/album/dx/?sort=date_desc&page=3

And of the general world:

http://gifyu.com/album/77

witcher3_2015_08_02_1ovst8.png

witcher3_2015_08_02_1l3saq.png

Both are good games.

Let me put it this way: GTAV took me around 30 hours to finish, maybe 35 with a lot of side content.

Witcher 3 took me 75 hours, and I still have a LOT of stuff left to do.

And to add to that, nothing in the Witcher feels like fluff. Even the side content is so well written that it's just as compelling as the main story.

Sorry for dp, but I'm going to put spoilers in this post.

Does anyone think the
Crone that escapes is going to come back in an expansion?

oddjobs

oh man, that
Ciri as empress
-ending version of the
Something ends, Something Begins
was great!

Amazing, somber mood. White Orchard is gorgeous in the winter! Love the little bits like Geralt talking with the guy whose horse escaped and being invited for dinner.

My Geralt has become a Gwent fiend, just finished up the Return to Crookback Bog quest but visited all of the inns and merchants with gwent cards for sale in Novigrad and Skellige without doing any quests.

I know I could have just waited till i progressed there naturally but i just have a crazy compulsion to get whatever cards i can...

"Yes I know you have monster troubles, I'll get to that soon..but..just a few rounds of Gwent?"

You don't know compulsion until you have all the cards and are left with a, "well shit, what now?" feeling.

I've finished the game but I don't recall seeing it mentioned. What happens?

Look up the bad ending on Youtube. It's pretty cool how they make you fight the last Crone. Ciri is dead and Geralt wants Ciris medallion back from the Crone. After that Geralt dies too (implied death), over-run by monsters.

RedSwirl

I can't figure out how to
open the treasure chest in the abandoned hut by the mill in White Orchard. I got the Temerian Lily key and everything.

Sai

I can't figure out how to
open the treasure chest in the abandoned hut by the mill in White Orchard. I got the Temerian Lily key and everything.
There are two treasure hunts involved with that stash. You probably have to get the other key from one of the other groups of bandits east of that point.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit that I am enjoying my Deathmarch run, but god fucking dammit am I getting sick of the fucking glitches.
From Geralt being unable to attack mind controlled enemies, from not drawing the sword in combat and to inexplicably dropping out of combat.
Seriously get your shit together CDPR.

The kingmaker side-quest was head and shoulders above the other side-quests in this game. I actually felt like I was doing something important rather than helping some sameface peasant with how much it totally sucks to live in WItcher 3 world. Also it wasn't in Novigrad.

Ranking the areas: Skellige >>>>>>>>>>> Velen > White Orchard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Novigrad. Everyone there can get slaughtered by the Nilfgaardians or burned alive by Witch Hunters for all I care. Meanwhile Skellige is amazing, minus having to use a boat to travel some places. Who thought that was a good idea?

Top Bottom