• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

It's funny how pretty much the whole time I'm playing this game I'm like this. I keep finding something that seems utterly impossible only to solve it a bit later. It's really great.

Couple of thoughts/questions about the actual end-game:
I expected to find a lot of puzzles, but definitely not so many puzzle. I'm happy there's a lot more to do. Is the series of puzzles that start by operating an LP-player the infamous timed section that changes everytime? Also, should I worry about those three puzzles on top of (what i believe to be)
the last bunker (aka the small temple), or will those black dots disappear as I progress in the area?

Yes, that is the randomized and timed section.

Those three puzzles are not actually puzzles - they are a very elaborate clock that counts how long the timed section has run while the LP is playing. Notice that they will never show any solvable configurations.

Yes, that is the randomized and timed section.

Those three puzzles are not actually puzzles - they are a very elaborate clock that counts how long the timed section has run while the LP is playing. Notice that they will never show any solvable configurations.
I see, thanks for the info. Then I'd imagine the temple will open up when I finish the timed section?

You've got it.
I have just done it :D
Honestly, I was expecting the Challenge to be way worse. I remember reading a lot about it near launch that made it seem like it was impossible, but I think it was handled really well. The time was plenty once you understood what you were supposed to do in each part, and the random puzzles themselves where, all in all, easy-ish (as they should be, considering you can't quite spend too much time on any one of them). If you understood the basic rules of the various symbols (as you should have by that point in the game), you shouldn't encounter many problems doing it.
Also, the nice music in the background definitive made it all more enjoyable :D
Still not sure if I'll do all the environmental puzzles. I'm really bad at those kind of things, so I'll probably skip them for now.

On another note, is this picture found near the end area related to the ship? I believe that's the only place I haven't visited yet.
By the way, how long did you guys take to "finish" the game? I have about 20 hours on Steam (which doesn't account for the extra time I spent thinking about some puzzles), and I'm missing a section of the keep, the ship and the environmental puzzles.

Congratulations!

On another note, is this picture found near the end area related to the ship? I believe that's the only place I haven't visited yet.
By the way, how long did you guys take to "finish" the game? I have about 20 hours on Steam (which doesn't account for the extra time I spent thinking about some puzzles), and I'm missing a section of the keep, the ship and the environmental puzzles.

That picture matches up to only one thing in the game, which you've already seen - you'll know because it looks exactly the same.

For me, I took about 25 hours to get to the end of the challenge, and ultimately 40 hours finding every panel, environmental puzzle, and audio log.

Blizzard

Banned
I have just done it :D
Honestly, I was expecting the Challenge to be way worse. I remember reading a lot about it near launch that made it seem like it was impossible, but I think it was handled really well. The time was plenty once you understood what you were supposed to do in each part, and the random puzzles themselves where, all in all, easy-ish (as they should be, considering you can't quite spend too much time on any one of them). If you understood the basic rules of the various symbols (as you should have by that point in the game), you shouldn't encounter many problems doing it.
Also, the nice music in the background definitive made it all more enjoyable :D
Still not sure if I'll do all the environmental puzzles. I'm really bad at those kind of things, so I'll probably skip them for now.

It took me about 40 hours to solve all panels in the game, but I got stuck near the mountain for a while. I also tried to avoid hints.

I did some of the optional puzzles but they don't give you anything and it would take too long.

llehuty

Lol, the most difficult part of the bamboo forest is finding the final switch. Well played.

I'm enjoying quite a lot my second go at the game, finishing the areas I couldn't before without much problem. Also, some areas are HEAVILY improved once you know about
environmental puzzles
. The hedge maze backside takes a new dimension now. Also
fuck the clouds, I know there must be quite a few lines up there, but it's complicated knowing at all where there could be. I guess once I've figured out most of them, I will hve to hunt the ones missing orienting myself with the totems.

deleted

I'm stuck in the town...

The rules for stars are
only ever two stars of the same colour, right? Can they stand alone? It's been a while since I did those and town is bringing them back :p

Mindlog

I'm stuck in the town...

The rules for stars are
only ever two stars of the same colour, right? Can they stand alone? It's been a while since I did those and town is bringing them back :p
Like 90% sure I know what puzzle you are on.
The first thing you said is correct.

/evil grinch smile

llehuty

I'm stuck in the town...

The rules for stars are

Oh boy, good luck. And yeah, what you say is correct.

As it was said before, leave town for last, you are supposed to do the puzzles there once you have grasped all the different types of puzzles on the island.

GlamFM

Banned
Love how this fantastic game is making a comeback all of a sudden.

Assume it´s because it was an quiet a few GOTY lists?

Still my proudest achievement:

hfuSqtO.png

mclem

Like 90% sure I know what puzzle you are on.
The first thing you said is correct.

/evil grinch smile

Not quite

(eviller smile)

The rule for the stars is a little more nuanced than many people take it as on first sight. What you know is probably enough... except where it isn't.

llehuty

Not quite

(eviller smile)

The rule for the stars is a little more nuanced than many people take it as on first sight. What you know is probably enough... except where it isn't.

You are right, my stupid face when you face a panel with an
uneven number of stars.
I actually abandoned that area in my first play through (I've beaten a couple of days ago in my second run).

*Spoiler about the bonus area*
*aka, the underground* Those doors are only openable from the inside and don't really help you get in.

The entrance will not become evident until the endgame - even your first time around you must have noticed something at the end that didn't come into play.

I have been thinking about it, and the only thing I can remember that doesn't come into play at the end is the
stand alone panels with the triangles
Is that it? How can I track my progress with those? Unless I need to complete the
environmental puzzles which... RIP, there are a lot a some very well hidden.

I have been thinking about it, and the only thing I can remember that doesn't come into play at the end is the
Is that it? How can I track my progress with those? Unless I need to complete the
I believe those puzzles are tracked in the pond, but I can't remember which elements represent them.

You're on the right track with the
triangles
The small triangular leaves in the pond tell you where they are and whether you've solved them, but you're not required to solve them all, just to learn what the triangles' rule is.

Now you need to figure out how the
endgame
plays into it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Assume it´s because it was an quiet a few GOTY lists?

It's been on sale, but yeah it's also doing really well in the goty lists, but also in the voting here. I've seen a few comments of people who got interested because it's stacking the #1 votes.

At this point The Witness seems like a lock for the top 5, and that's wonderful news for a game that doesn't exactly have mass appeal.

KodaRuss

Just finished the game.

Anyone else really let down by the end of the game? Not sure what I was expecting but it wasnt that. Anyway, I enjoyed the game a lot going through it. I cheated a little towards the end because I just wanted to get through it (trying to finish up my backlog).

JesseZao

Just finished the game.

Anyone else really let down by the end of the game? Not sure what I was expecting but it wasnt that. Anyway, I enjoyed the game a lot going through it. I cheated a little towards the end because I just wanted to get through it (trying to finish up my backlog).

Rushing to tick a game off your list will always feel bad. This one even more so. Enjoy the journey.

Blizzard

Banned
Just finished the game.

What ending did you get? (first ending spoiler)

If you just got sent to the beginning of the game, yes that ending is lame. There's a lot more to see if so.

If you didn't like the other ending with the exploring area and video, then I respectfully disagree there. Then again, cheating on puzzles may reduce the rewarding feeling a bit, especially in this game.

KodaRuss

What ending did you get? (first ending spoiler)

If you just got sent to the beginning of the game, yes that ending is lame. There's a lot more to see if so.

If you didn't like the other ending with the exploring area and video, then I respectfully disagree there. Then again, cheating on puzzles may reduce the rewarding feeling a bit, especially in this game.

I did get sent to the beginning after flying around in the elevator. I did just about every puzzle on my own outside of part of the town and some of the ones at the end where you are building the pathways by completing a puzzle. But I did activate every spotlight

I bought the game at launch just never got back to finishing it after completing 4-5 areas.

Hi all,

I've been playing this game on and off for months now (with my wife who doesn't game so it's been a good adventure together)

We've finished it but I am still trying to avoid spoilers in case there is more.

Would someone mind answering me with a simple yes no to avoid any other spoilers?

Note the spoiler below is about the end of the game!

is there more than one ending of the game? And if so do you need to activate all puzzles to get a second ending?

Yes, no.

great, thanks for answering so quickly, really appreciate it! After all that I wish I knew more now! Will mull over whether to read more online or try to figure it out.

EDIT - read enough to know what I need to do for another ending - will plough on with the puzzles!

I did get sent to the beginning after flying around in the elevator. I did just about every puzzle on my own outside of part of the town and some of the ones at the end where you are building the pathways by completing a puzzle. But I did activate every spotlight

I bought the game at launch just never got back to finishing it after completing 4-5 areas.

If you've activated every laser (there are 11 of them), then you're ready to enter the post-endgame and unlock the second ending.

Blizzard

Banned

There's definitely more content left and a better ending, then. If you're not enjoying the puzzles, it might not be worth it though.

In my opinion it's worth it to see a couple of neat areas.

ymgve

If you've activated every laser (there are 11 of them), then you're ready to enter the post-endgame and unlock the second ending.

The second ending isn't really "unlocked" - you can stumble upon it at the very start of the game accidentally - like some very confused individual did like an hour after the original game release

Blizzard

Banned
The second ending isn't really "unlocked" - you can stumble upon it at the very start of the game accidentally - like some very confused individual did like an hour after the original game release
Yes, but instead of spoiling that major hint, it'd probably be better to let a player work through the extra content that "unlocks" it naturally. :p

GlamFM

Banned
It's been on sale, but yeah it's also doing really well in the goty lists, but also in the voting here. I've seen a few comments of people who got interested because it's stacking the #1 votes.

At this point The Witness seems like a lock for the top 5, and that's wonderful news for a game that doesn't exactly have mass appeal.

It´s my GOTY for sure.

really enjoying this game so far, but is there something up with the lighting that makes it dim randomly? like, when i'm zoomed in on a puzzle, it will suddenly get dimmer, and not because of any light sources around.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone in here played it? I saw Blow recommending it in the Reddit AMA.

I solved 3 puzzles in the first hour. It's tough as nails :p The Witness has a bunch of 'tutorial' puzzles to ease you into the concept, but Roll just throws you into the deep end. I liked it, but I want to save it for a time where I can devote myself to it. Too many other games on the plate right now.

dLMN8R

So, about Stephens Sausage Roll.

Is there anything more to the game than rolling sausages around? Hidden mechanics not shown in early videos? Amazing discoveries as you dig deeper into it? Feel free to spoil it for me if there is.

Or is it "only" a well-designed puzzle game which teaches you new rules elegantly, and then asks you to execute on using those rules?

Not that the latter is a bad thing, but I've always wondered.

LeBart

So, about Stephens Sausage Roll.

Is there anything more to the game than rolling sausages around? Hidden mechanics not shown in early videos? Amazing discoveries as you dig deeper into it? Feel free to spoil it for me if there is.

Or is it "only" a well-designed puzzle game which teaches you new rules elegantly, and then asks you to execute on using those rules?

Not that the latter is a bad thing, but I've always wondered.

I'm tempted to say it's the latter, but it sort of sells the game short.
There are no revelations that are as mindblowing as finding out the nature of the obelisks in The Witness, but that game is built around those "oh shit" moments.
Stephen's Sausage Roll does have a lot of "aha!" moments, some of them are indeed related to mechanics (I'll give you an example since you asked :
standing on top of a sausage and rolling it around
), but it's mostly about how amazingly designed each puzzle is. If I recall correctly, even the very first puzzle isn't immediately obvious, so you feel super duper smart after every single one in the entire game.

It's awesome.

Top Bottom