• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World's Best Podcast (The Adventure Zone) is getting a Graphic Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announced on today's episode of the podcast, during the intermission. Here's a link to the Nerdist article about it, with a few sample pages!

http://nerdist.com/enter-the-advent...ovel-series-exclusive/?gallery=461716#gallery

It's being written by the McElroys (Sounds like primarily Clint), illustrated by Carey Pietsch (A published artist who I learned about from her awesome Adventure Zone fan art), and put out by First Second Books.

"Here There Be Gerblins" sounds like it'll be the subtitle.

Now, #realtalk, probably only ten people on this forum listen to this podcast, but I think it should be more like only ten people on the forum NOT listening, and their only excuse would be a hearing impairment. It's a great, fun show, and often the best part of my week when it comes out.

For those not in the know, It's a D&D podcast that's rules-light and comedy heavy, by Justin & Griffin McElroy of Polygon.com, their brother Travis, and their dad Clint. It's joyous and heartfelt and freakin' great.

Edit: Artwork of the three protagonists, via publisher's twitter:
Yb92qbu.png

xX4I1EC.png

1lQ7WTt.png

I love the McElroys and really need to get into Adventure Zone. It's just very hard for me to focus on audio-only narrative content. I've tried listening to the first episode several times and each time I have to stop after I realize I've gone 15+ minutes without actually processing anything they were saying.

I love the McElroys and really need to get into Adventure Zone. It's just very hard for me to focus on audio-only narrative content. I've tried listening to the first episode several times and each time I have to stop after I realize I've gone 15+ minutes without actually processing anything they were saying.
Have you tried any actual audio dramas? They're shorter so you might find them easer to get into. The Magnus Archives, Sayer, Limetown, and Darkest Night all are excellent series to check out

studyguy

To think I used to listen to Justin just shooting the shit on Joystiq podcast about his love for blueberry muffintop cereal. Now big money, big money

I'd recommend listening to the more story focused cut of the first episode. You can go back and listen to the full episode with the character building and stats later if you want, but the DnD parts are really just a scaffold for some ridiculous story telling.

Zeeman

Oh shit, that's awesome!

For anyone that's thinking about picking up the podcast, just be aware that it starts off a bit slow as people get a handle on playing D&D. There are still some amazing highlights in the first story arc, but after that is when it really starts to shine, so I'd strongly recommend sticking with it.

OH SHIT

That sounds spectacular. Curious if they're planning on adapting the entire series (since HTBG is the first 'arc' of the story), or if this will just be a one-off.

The Adventure Zone is probably the most delightful podcast there is, glad to see it's building a sizable fanbase of its own.

Jmille99

Ive been thinking how I want this to be an animated show or something. But a graphic novel will kinda work I suppose.

mr.beers

I have the same issue and that's why I have listened to the series several times over.

Jmille99

As someone new to the series, should I start at the beginning or is there a better place to jump in?

I suggest starting at the beginning. Lots of stuff continues to carry over to future arcs whether it characters, items, running jokes, etc.

What we really need is an animated cartoon synced up to their podcast. Reading the dumb shit they make up without their stupid laughs just isn't the same.

As someone new to the series, should I start at the beginning or is there a better place to jump in?

Yeah, start at the beginning. The show has 'arcs', but so far it's one contiguous story with a lot of callbacks in both the narrative and the jokes.

In terms of expectations, the group is fairly new to the game, and they're using the 5th edition ruleset of D&D, which is semi-new itself. Early on there's a bit of trying to figure out the rules, and they follow a pre-written story arc for a little while, but eventually deviate entirely.

Buying the heck out of this as soon as I can. TAZ is my favorite podcast, far and away. More McElroy stuff in my life can only be a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom