• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst States for Black Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Huh?

I live in NE Wisconsin and work in GB. I have been to Packer games and am near the stadium on a frequent basis.

I can't ever recall experiencing what you describe.

I do agree about Milwaukee though. Even certain family members of mine down there (predominantly upper middle class republicans) are blatantly racist. Last Christmas when I visited one of them was talking about "boo people" and I was totally disgusted.

Its a joke about Kuhn.

appaws

Banned
One thing I am getting from this thread is that everybody seems to hate where they live.

A lot of hate for Michigan...kind of surprises me, most of the Michiganders I know are sort of "boosterish" and talk about how great it is. But I used to live in west Michigan, which I guess is nicer than the depressed areas around Detroit.

Also, I remember an old professor telling me that southerners were always comfortable with black individuals because they had always lived with them, but institutionally discriminated against them and created boundaries. While Yankees would trumpet the fact that they didn't have dejure racist institutions, but individual bigotry was much more pronounced.

Riposte

I'm surprised by the Jersey ranking (my home state) because where my parents live I'm surrounded by middle-class black families, but at the same time I'm aware that in terms of wealth most aren't anywhere near most of the white families I know. And then of course there are the bad areas of Newark (though the city as a whole is looking better), Irvington, Orange, East Orange, Camden, etc.

TBH, my first reaction was to blame Newark. You go to Penn and there's an alarming amount of homeless people.

I knew Michigan would be on the list, I use to joke that where I live was like the stereotypical South but in the North only to find I might not actually need that far off. White flight is real and Detroit has been a testament to that over the last 60 years, the same could be said about Flint and Saginaw over the last 30 or 40 years. The other stuff puts the "wonderful" comments I read on my local new's FB posts into further perspective. So glad I removed WNEM from my likes...

I knew Michigan would be on the list, I use to joke that where I live was like the stereotypical South but in the North only to find I might not actually need that far off. White flight is real and Detroit has been a testament to that over the last 60 years, the same could be said about Flint and Saginaw over the last 30 or 40 years. The other stuff puts the "wonderful" comments I read on my local new's FB posts into further perspective. So glad I removed WNEM from my likes...

you make it seem like people shouldn't be allowed to leave a place they don't want to live in

kirblar

Lol at Maryland. No way in hell am I raising kids here. Baltimore specifically though.
Having lived in both VA and MD, I would very much recommend VA to anyone moving to the DC area, regardless of race- there are a ton of issues with MD's drivers' ed setup (none of it's in public schools, kids aren't getting licenses till they're 18+) that really punish the kids and families there.

cajunator

Banned
One thing I am getting from this thread is that everybody seems to hate where they live.

A lot of hate for Michigan...kind of surprises me, most of the Michiganders I know are sort of "boosterish" and talk about how great it is. But I used to live in west Michigan, which I guess is nicer than the depressed areas around Detroit.

Also, I remember an old professor telling me that southerners were always comfortable with black individuals because they had always lived with them, but institutionally discriminated against them and created boundaries. While Yankees would trumpet the fact that they didn't have dejure racist institutions, but individual bigotry was much more pronounced.

On the contrary I love where I live so much you couldnt pay me enough to leave.

BradC00

Having lived in both VA and MD, I would very much recommend VA to anyone moving to the DC area, regardless of race- there are a ton of issues with MD's drivers' ed setup (none of it's in public schools, kids aren't getting licenses till they're 18+) that really punish the kids and families there.

When did this happen? I got my permit in MD in 2000 and took my drivers ed class after school through the school at the school. HoCo.

Gallbaro

Banned
Real talk. Especially New York City

Fixed.

Although for all of its history the segregation has been micro in its neighbourhoods, and that segregation goes well beyond white/brown/black. Into Polacks/Ginnies/Cossaks/etc.

And that is just what the white people think of each other.

Worst Ones are the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom