• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wrap: JJ Abrams' 'God Particle' to be next in 'Cloverfield' anthology

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheWrap said:
Not only will “Particle” be the third in a series of connected “Cloverfield” films, but Abrams and studio partner Paramount Pictures are quietly developing more movies for the shared universe, the individual said. Both parties hope to release a new film in the shared “Cloverfield” each year, the insider added.
(...)
“Particle” is about a team of astronauts who make a “shocking discovery” and end up fighting for survival in what is described as an altered reality. Julis Onah (“The Girl Is in Trouble”) directed from a script by Oren Uziel. It stars David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl and Chris O’Dowd.

http://www.thewrap.com/jj-abrams-god-particle-next-film-cloverfield-series-exclusive/

MattyG

Banned
Yessssss. I love the anthology approach. I just wish they'd hide it and then namedrop Cloverfield in the movie, because putting it in the name gave away 10 Cloverfield Lane's sci-fi twist a bit. But they have to put it in the name for marketing purposes, I guess (all this said with the assumption they'll rename it and God Particle isn't the final name.)

PR_rambo

Banned
I'm still salty that 10 Cloverfield Lane was not a direct sequel but the movie was still great, I've accepted it as an anthology and can not wait for particle. I think it'd be neat if they did eventually make a film that makes sense of the connections.

Aurongel

The worst parts of Cloverfield Lane were the areas where you could see things hastily reshuffled to fit the Cloverfield rebranding.

This plan of his shouldn't inspire hope in anyone.

The worst parts of Cloverfield Lane were the areas where you could see things hastily reshuffled to fit the Cloverfield rebranding.

Well, if they were reshuffled to fit, would that criticism still apply to a movie built that way from the ground up?

I'm excited about the approach, and I really like the cast.

Korey

The only way these movies are connected is that you'll keep giving them money for having the word "Cloverfield" in the title, so they'll keep slapping the Cloverfield name on these movies that have nothing to do with each other.

And it'll work too.

1. Find script with some sort of vague mystery.
2. Say it's "part of the Cloverfield universe"
3. Profit

rekameohs

Banned
Sounds good. It's a smart idea to make the "Cloverfield" name act like a modern day "Twilight Zone" style anthology of Sci-Fi one-offs. 10 Cloverfield Lane was great and only a fraction of people would've seen it if it were called The Cellar.

The only way these movies are connected is that you'll keep giving them money for having the word "Cloverfield" in the title, so they'll keep slapping the Cloverfield name on these movies that have nothing to do with each other.

And it'll work too.

3. Profit
That would be no different from the anthology format of Twilight Zone, Black Mirror, or American Horror Story applied to film. Nothing wrong with some shorthand branding for lower budget sci-fi films that explore some high-concept or another and maybe grow a built-in audience. It's like knowing when new season of Black Mirror is coming out, you have a general idea of what to anticipate and look forward to and gives a playground for filmmakers to play around in.

Dominator

And it'll work too.

3. Profit
Couldn't care less if the movies are as good as they have been then. 10 Cloverfield Lane is currently in my top 5 for the year, and its unlikely it'll be removed. I love the original Cloverfield as well.

ThisGuy

Pshh, I won't get my hopes up for it to tie into Cloverfield. Lane hardly did, I mean sure, there were aliens, but even Mars attacks had aliens.

Lane was alright as a separate film, they shouldn't have tied Cloverfield into it though. Left me with certain expectations that they never intended to meet.

The Kree

Banned
There is no shared universe. Cloverfield is now a brand. Either enjoy the movies or don't. It's marketing nonsense.

And it'll work too.

3. Profit

I mean, do you understand what the word Anthology means?

There is no shared universe. Cloverfield is now a brand. Either enjoy the movies or don't. It's marketing nonsense.

It's not marketing nonsense, that's what an anthology series is.

And it'll work too.

3. Profit
nofunallowed.jpg

Even if it is just a marketing stunt, it is still a good thing. It gets a script out there that wouldn't usually make it in a hollywood polluted by superhero movies and remakes.

HvySky

Pretty sure the only thing about 10 Cloverfield Lane that was changed to have it fit in the universe was
the shot of the mailbox at the end of the movie when Michelle drives away.

Did not like Cloverfield but 10 Cloverfield Lane was pretty dope for the most part. Got really corny near the end but through most of the runtime I was feeling it.

Really like this idea, best thing to come out of Abrams' camp honestly. Just keep giving us these sci fi anthology films.

I thought the ending bits of 10 Cloverfield Lane were the weakest, so I'm not really a fan of more stuff being shoehorned into otherwise good movies.

I thought the ending bits of 10 Cloverfield Lane were the weakest, so I'm not really a fan of more stuff being shoehorned into otherwise good movies.

Me too, that was the worst part. Dan Tratchenberg did a great job overall, but they need these scripts to sort of... communicate better and tie into some bigger thing.

They should scrap the awful idea of tying these all together as alien flicks and just run with the sci fi anthology stuff like twilight zone

They should scrap the awful idea of tying these all together as alien flicks and just run with the sci fi anthology stuff like twilight zone

See for me I think it would be cool if they could tie them in just... better. 10 CVL didn't really do this and I was hoping it would. Just some super loose connection.

Uh, no. Also kind of bullshit to say there's not connection through an anthology of movies when we've literally only had two (and they HAVE had a connection).
It is called an anthology series, look it up.

Also they are loosely connected via the viral marketing.
This, but not just viral marketing.

See for me I think it would be cool if they could tie them in just... better. 10 CVL didn't really do this and I was hoping it would. Just some super loose connection.
Eh I wouldn't call it super loose. There is a direct connection, we just don't know exactly what it means yet.

The company that owns Slusho is featured in both movies. In Cloverfield, they're responsible for waking up Clovie. In 10CL, Goodman's character worked for them in their satellite monitoring division and clearly they knew about aliens.

The current fan theory is that all the movies in the Cloverfield anthology series will be connected via the Slusho company. Each movie is a different timeline but Slusho is always responsible for some kind of sci-fi fuck up.

If God Particle is about alternate dimensions, I wonder if that theory will be proven true?

dankir

But how was 10 Cloverfield lane tied to Cloverfield in the first place? I really did like the movie but the last 20 minutes it jumped the shark. Kind of wish it kept you guessing instead of revealing everything.

Maybe the final title will be "Cloverfield Particle".

I... could see them doing that, honestly.

But how was 10 Cloverfield lane tied to Cloverfield in the first place? I really did like the movie but the last 20 minutes it jumped the shark. Kind of wish it kept you guessing instead of revealing everything.

I explained it a bit in my other post a few up from yours.
The company that owns the Slusho brand is in both movies and is in some way responsible/tied to the bad shit that happens. Also Slusho is in both movies as well.

zeemumu

I only caught two actual Cloverfield references,
the mailbox and that letter in the stack of papers

BruceCLea

Banned
This is the film that explains the scientists that open the portal where all these monsters come from.

HP Lovecraft am cry.

Apparently John Goodman worked at the soda company responsible for the Cloverfield monster debacle. That's about it I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom