• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The X-Files S10 |OT| The Truth Is Still Out There - Mondays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Banned
^ After what Carter did to Reyes, I'm kind of scared of what he would do to Doggett lol.

Doggett actually kind of grew on me after a while and I kind of liked the character.
It took me awhile to like the character too. His only flaw in the series was that he wasn't Mulder and I think that is why he was recieved porrly initially by audiences.

Doggett worked well in the later seasons.

It took me awhile to like the character too. His only flaw in the series was that he wasn't Mulder and I think that is why he was recieved porrly initially by audiences.

Doggett worked well in the later seasons.

Doggett was like a pragmatic Scully - he was skeptical, but when there was a clear threat he didn't really care that, say, man-bats can't exist, and it never phased him much.

I was never a big Reyes fan myself, but I hate that intuitiony, psychicy stuff she brought.

^ After what Carter did to Reyes, I'm kind of scared of what he would do to Doggett lol.

Doggett actually kind of grew on me after a while and I kind of liked the character.

I can't believe what he did to Reyes. Never expected that.

I liked it on one hand, but found it hard to believe she would do that on the other.

I'm definitely missing the X-Files now. I normally delete episodes of TV shows off of my PVR when I'm done, but this is staying.

Dsyndrome

Hopefully the high ratings throughout (minus the Grammy's) help to push forth another season with Carter doing less directing / pushing the show; maybe it ends up like a Frank Darabont situation.

WTF is this shit?

Z2ljjU7.jpg

Was watching some old episodes last night and what's weird is how it seemed like the show went from making fun of extreme anti government conspiracy groups. The typical anti semitic zionist neo nazi nut jobs. To kind of giving them credence last season with the whole Tad O'Malley, Alex Jones thing. Since Alex Jones caters to that group of people.

Cranster

Banned
Was watching some old episodes last night and what's weird is how it seemed like the show went from making fun of extreme anti government conspiracy groups. The typical anti semitic zionist neo nazi nut jobs. To kind of giving them credence last season with the whole Tad O'Malley, Alex Jones thing. Since Alex Jones caters to that group of people.
Eh, I just see it as a fictional TV Show with no actual political commentary intended.

Aselith

Ok, Chris Carter, but they did resolve events from the season in the end. Like, there was some resolution and some questions left hanging. That's very different from what was done here.

Thanks for the link to the interview thecouncil.

Not sure if I buy this lol.

Considering how they were set up as 1:1 dopplegangers essentially, I completely buy that. If they were going to actually replace them, they would have unique personas. However, this finale makes me question Carters judgment entirely so it makes it a little more hazy.

s_mirage

Well, the run's just finished here in the UK, and that last episode was....bad. I've enjoyed most of the new season, and I tried to enjoy the finale, but that was just poor. A longer season that built gradually to that kind of conclusion could have worked, but this just felt horribly rushed. Oh, and I actually felt bad for Gillian Anderson having to deliver all that technobabble.

Semajer

Well, the run's just finished here in the UK, and that last episode was....bad. I've enjoyed most of the new season, and I tried to enjoy the finale, but that was just poor. A longer season that built gradually to that kind of conclusion could have worked, but this just felt horribly rushed.

Yup. Seeing people getting sick in the background over the course of a full series would have worked pretty well.

The only episode I really liked from this series was 4. 1, 2, 3, and 5 were okay, 6 was not. The conspiracy is far too convoluted and poorly thought out at this point for me to understand.

The X-Files is one of my favorite series ever, of all time. Finally getting to sit down and watch this season. Just finished the first episode and my god, that was fucking terrible. My biggest complaint is kind of a weird one...everybody talked too fast and said way too much. It seem like every other scene, somebody broke out the thesaurus to use three or four words instead of just talking like a normal fucking person.

Also, I didn't like the implications of retconning the overall plot of the original run. Man is the greatest enemy; the aliens were never the bad guys. I feel like that's where they were heading, though I could be wrong.

Also didn't like them just straight up showing an alien ship crash in Roswell and the little alien dude crawling away before being baby-carried away by the scientist dude. Overall I feel like the first episode was a different show and lacked any and all subtlety and the great pacing of the older episodes. I get that it was the first episode and they had to run through some things to set it up, but damn, this episode was straight garbage.

Does it get better? Is this season worth watching anyway?

The X-Files is one of my favorite series ever, of all time. Finally getting to sit down and watch this season. Just finished the first episode and my god, that was fucking terrible. My biggest complaint is kind of a weird one...everybody talked too fast and said way too much. It seem like every other scene, somebody broke out the thesaurus to use three or four words instead of just talking like a normal fucking person.

Also, I didn't like the implications of retconning the overall plot of the original run. Man is the greatest enemy; the aliens were never the bad guys. I feel like that's where they were heading, though I could be wrong.

Also didn't like them just straight up showing an alien ship crash in Roswell and the little alien dude crawling away before being baby-carried away by the scientist dude. Overall I feel like the first episode was a different show and lacked any and all subtlety and the great pacing of the older episodes. I get that it was the first episode and they had to run through some things to set it up, but damn, this episode was straight garbage.

Does it get better? Is this season worth watching anyway?

It gets better but it also kind of gets worse after. Though I didn't hate the finale as much as some people on here.

I thought episode five was one of the worst X-Files episodes I have ever seen.

RSLYG

Mindwipe

Sorry to disagree but 5 was some of the worst television I have ever seen.

Other than the twist making no sense whatsoever
Mulder gains incredible psychic powers and goes on a bender as a result of taking some vitamin B tablets
5 is by far and away the most coherent episode.

The comedy one kinda worked but felt like a big chunk of the season.

The last one was baaaaad. Don't try and do the apocalypse on a TV budget. It looks kinda dumb. And it's hard to see how you reset this one.

I got the Blu-ray through an acquaintance, and have been watching it. It definitely looks quite good.

Going to get to the special features tomorrow or Tuesday.

I have a question, though:

Did The X-Files start as a spring or summer show? I have a vivid memory of being a kid, up at my trailer, in either May, June or July. My cousins told me I had to watch a show with them, and they showed me Fallen Angel which aired on the one TV station we got up there.

I don't know if my mind fabricated it or not. I don't recall hearing The X-Files was a summer show.

Lothars

I got the Blu-ray through an acquaintance, and have been watching it. It definitely looks quite good.

Going to get to the special features tomorrow or Tuesday.

I have a question, though:

Did The X-Files start as a spring or summer show? I have a vivid memory of being a kid, up at my trailer, in either May, June or July. My cousins told me I had to watch a show with them, and they showed me Fallen Angel which aired on the one TV station we got up there.

I don't know if my mind fabricated it or not. I don't recall hearing The X-Files was a summer show.
Wikipedia lists the start date as September 10th 1993. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X-Files_(season_1)

Zoe

Thanks

I don't know about my memory then. I'm sure I remember watching Fallen Angel during summertime, then continuing on with the series as it aired.

But, as I said, it's a really old memory and could have been misconstrued.

TV networks actually aired reruns back in the day.

Finished watching it over the weekend and I thought it could have used more episodes to allow the mythology to breathe. Two episodes is far too little to set things up and to reach a satisfying conclusion. I love the idea behind the mythology episodes but they could have given it more time. The monster of the week episodes were real good. Specially the wereman-human one and the Muslim terrorist one was a bit hokey but fun overall.
I really think all the issues could be fixed if they had more room to breathe.

To be honest, I don't like it as much now that I'm rewatching it. Founder's Mutation was better the first time, and some of the acting in My Struggle Part 1 (Sveta, Joel McHale) stands out as being more cringeworthy.

I'm enjoying it, and like it overall, but I wish it had been better. My next episode will be episode 4. Episode 3 was still quite good.

Finished watching it over the weekend and I thought it could have used more episodes to allow the mythology to breathe. Two episodes is far too little to set things up and to reach a satisfying conclusion. I love the idea behind the mythology episodes but they could have given it more time. The monster of the week episodes were real good. Specially the wereman-human one and the Muslim terrorist one was a bit hokey but fun overall.

It's quite clear by now that Chris Carter can't fix shit. All he can do is pile up silly bullshit on top of existing silly bullshit.

More mythology episodes would only result in more bad mythology episodes.

Question regarding series 6. I watched it until this point then took a break for like 1.5 years. Agent spender has just popped up but I'm sure smoking man killed him like two series ago?

liquidtmd

Banned
Question regarding series 6. I watched it until this point then took a break for like 1.5 years. Agent spender has just popped up but I'm sure smoking man killed him like two series ago?

CSM took
multiple rockets to the face after having fell down the stairs whilst having terminal cancer in the last few seasons, death stopped having value in like season 3 and only served as a cheap narrative cliffhanger for Carter

CSM took
multiple rockets to the face after having fell down the stairs whilst having terminal cancer in the last few seasons, death stopped having value in like season 3 and only served as a cheap narrative cliffhanger for Carter

My mistake cancer man killed spender in the episode I've just watched hahah. I had already watched this episode and have ended up watching it again due to 1.5 years of forgetting.

Slaythe

CSM took

Say that to Krycek...

If we ever get another season I would love it if they could poach some of the talent from Stranger Things to write or direct an episode or two.

The writers/directors on that show know what they're doing and I would love to see what they could do with X-Files.

Slaythe

Fox isn't stupid.

They perfectly know the ratings got so high because of nostalgia and because the mini series nature prevented the show from losing all the viewership.

If this were a 20 episodes season I assure you the show was getting cancelled given the reception and ratings drops.

They HAVE to force Carter out or hire another showrunner to help.

I mean, let's be honest here, we watched for David and Gillian, but that season 10 was a creative abortion. I want them to be back so they have another chance at doing it right.

Just like I want Indiana Jones 5. But come they can't rely on Carter or this is gonna be worse.

Anybody that made "I want to believe" has lost all trust, and this season is the confirmation.

Fox isn't stupid.

They perfectly know the ratings got so high because of nostalgia and because the mini series nature prevented the show from losing all the viewership.

If this were a 20 episodes season I assure you the show was getting cancelled given the reception and ratings drops.

They HAVE to force Carter out or hire another showrunner to help.

I mean, let's be honest here, we watched for David and Gillian, but that season 10 was a creative abortion. I want them to be back so they have another chance at doing it right.

Just like I want Indiana Jones 5. But come they can't rely on Carter or this is gonna be worse.

Anybody that made "I want to believe" has lost all trust, and this season is the confirmation.

I think David and Gillian will walk if Carter is not involved. They may have a real problem bumping him.

That seems crazy to me though.

want to know how bad this was?

compare the episode where they were testing kids in the gov't facility to stranger things. its like amateur hour from the people who basically invented the genre.

komplanen

That's one episode versus eight. A lot more time to tell a story.

Imagine if X-Files was done in such a format that they did 6-10 episode seasons that focused at one storyline (at several locations, if necessary).

Might be interesting. Would also sort of kill Monster of the Week episodes.

SGRX

I would love to see the X-Files reimagined by a competent showrunner. I really wanted to like the new episodes, but they didn't hold a candle to the show in its prime.

Kevin

X-Files talks deep in negotiations and looks like it might actually happen (8-10 episode season 11):

http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-x-files-new-season-talks-fox-tca-1201800258/

That was a few days ago and David Duchovny tweeted this to Gillian Anderson:

Happy Birthday, Gillian. If you see Dana, tell her Fox says she might wanna polish up the ol' badge soon-ish. Love, D

Source:

https://twitter.com/davidduchovny/status/763026300755816448?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

So it's beginning to look like more X-Files is actually going to happen. While the Event Series had some issues, I am still very much on board and hyped for more X-Files. That being said, I do hope that maybe they can spend a little more time in the writers room and hopefully the next batch of episodes will be a little more polished. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom