• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 Store is closing next year

Thanks for the heads up! I Still have over 100 physical games for the system, couple years from now might be a good time to start selling them off.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
RIP. It's impressive it's been up for so long but everything gotta come to an end i guess.

Xenia better step their game up.

Expected of course, but still always sad to see. Xbox 360 has such an impressive library and so many good memories tied to it. Some of my favourite Multiplayer experiences were because of that console.

Halo 3 was pretty much my life for years. What a game.

I need to buy Gears of War 1 digital. I own the disk version since launch but I stupidly never claimed the Gold digital version years ago so now I have all the Gears games except the very first one in my library. I can access it using Gamepass though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I need to buy Gears of War 1 digital. I own the disk version since launch but I stupidly never claimed the Gold digital version years ago so now I have all the Gears games except the very first one in my library. I can access it using Gamepass though.

BC games will still be available on the new store even when the older one closes, so you won't lose out on anything.

kiryani

Is there really anything of note being lost here?

I can’t find any real list of games that

- Aren’t backwards compatible on One/Series
- Aren’t available to buy physically

From a preservation standpoint, I guess it’s just going to be XBLA games that aren’t BC ?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Digital is the future
Michael Scott No GIF

dotnotbot

I remember people gloating about xbox not shutting down their store when Sony was shutting down the PS3 one. VGC and others made such a fuss that Sony kept it open. Let's see if the same happens here.
oops-jim-carrey.gif

Cue in crickets sounds. When Microsoft announced increasing the price of Series X barely anyone noticed or cared even though there was an outrage when Sony did them same earlier.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I remember people gloating about xbox not shutting down their store when Sony was shutting down the PS3 one. VGC and others made such a fuss that Sony kept it open. Let's see if the same happens here.
oops-jim-carrey.gif
It's not gonna happen this time; we all know that.

We can also already see people justifying the closure of the 360 store.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
oops-jim-carrey.gif
They are not shutting down the store. You can't buy any new games from the online store because they are shutting down the payment system in the 360 marketplace. Everything else will work. Atleast read the thread. Funny, you liked a post which considered a backwards compatibility a solution to this issue, one that Xbox already provides.

Last edited:

Three

They are not shutting down the store. You can't buy any new games from the online store because they are shutting down the payment system in the 360 marketplace. Everything else will work. Atleast read the thread. Funny, you liked a post which considered a backwards compatibility a solution to this issue, one that Xbox already provides.
Oh sorry, they are shutting down the 360 "marketplace". I forgot to take into account the difference between a store and a "marketplace". My bad. Not surprised you're trying to weasel them out of it with this nonsense.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Oh sorry, they are shutting down the 360 "marketplace". I forgot to take into account the difference between a store and a "marketplace". My bad. Not surprised you're trying to weasel them out of it with this nonsense.
What the hell are you talking about? I said "marketplace" because it's officially called "Xbox 360 Marketplace". Trying so hard to change goalposts.
0*E1eNateTiDThGcYI.jpg

Not surprised you're trying to weasel them out of it with this nonsense.
Who is them? This is literally my first post in this thread.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Oh no, an 18 year old system no longer has an active online store. Run for the hills!

Ozriel

M$FT
oops-jim-carrey.gif

Their reversal pretty much stripped the ability to pay using cards or PayPal. Just PlayStation wallet funds. Essentially sidestepping the payments processing challenges that’s behind the drive to stop payments on these stores.

Might be interesting to see if MS gets any backlash and if they toe the same line.

Three

What the hell are you talking about? I said "marketplace" because it's officially called "Xbox 360 Marketplace". Trying so hard to change goalposts.
0*E1eNateTiDThGcYI.jpg
You said "they aren't shutting down the store", "You can't buy any new games from the online store because they are shutting down the payment system in the 360 marketplace". Which is a stupidly long winded way of saying they're shutting down the 360 store but just calling it a 'marketplace' instead.
Who is them? This is literally my first post in this thread.
Them as in MS. I'm saying I'm not surprised you're trying to weasel MS out of this with some bullshit, much like you tried with proprietary drives trying to tell me it would be cheaper when I was trying to tell you it wouldn't be.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Their reversal pretty much stripped the ability to pay using cards or PayPal. Just PlayStation wallet funds. Essentially sidestepping the payments processing challenges that’s behind the drive to stop payments on these stores.

Might be interesting to see if MS gets any backlash and if they toe the same line.

It wouldn’t work for the website, because that never supported wallet payments, but I wish they kept the store on 360 with this limitation. That way you could just add account balance on the website and buy on a 360.

Closing it all down is just stupid.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

You said "they aren't shutting down the store", "You can't buy any new games from the online store because they are shutting down the payment system in the 360 marketplace". Which is a stupidly long winded way of saying they're shutting down the 360 store but just calling it a 'marketplace' instead.
All I did was just call it, what they call it themselves
Whether they shut down the payment system or not, it was always called "Xbox 360 Marketplace". Why going schizo about what I called it? And yes, you can download all your existing games and get updates to existing games.
Them as in MS. I'm saying I'm not surprised you're trying to weasel MS out of this with some bullshit, much like you tried with proprietary drives trying to tell me it would be cheaper when I was trying to tell you it wouldn't be.
And you are the guy who blames me for all your issues. And if you really are gonna loop back to what I said in 2020
I made that statement, because I was referring to the cheaper and better third party alternatives to Xbox media remote (which I directly mentioned in that post)

Three

All I did was just call it, what they call it themselves
Whether they shut down the payment system or not, it was always called "Xbox 360 Marketplace". Why going schizo about what I called it? And yes, you can download all your existing games and get updates to existing games.
Can you explain how any of what you said has anything to do with what I said? I said they are shutting down the store, and they are. You came in here saying they aren't shutting it down but in fact they are shutting down the "360 marketplace" because of the payment system. The shut down is exactly what the PS3 store shutdown was, purchases. What exactly is your point? Why did you refute the fact that they are shutting down the store and told me to read the thread, then go on to say they aren't shutting down the store but they are shutting down the marketplace?
I made that statement, because I was referring to the cheaper and better third party alternatives to Xbox media remote (which I directly mentioned in that post)
That's comical marketing by you but no that's not what I'm referring to. I was referring to this exchange. The xbox proprietary drives are still more expensive even till this day so don't post that link thinking that something has changed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom