• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

Gui_PT

Man, Naughty Dog fanboys are the worst. After every Uncharted (and now TloU) I remember GAF being flooded with threads like "how can we go back to normal games after playing this" and they attack people so vociferously. Poor Yahtzee.

Yeah but I'm sure he's used to getting hate mail every week by now.

NZNova

I'm still surprised he didn't tear Remember Me a new one. Game was *horrible*.

I enjoyed Remember Me well enough. It wasn't anything outstanding, but it wasn't *horrible*. Run of the mill. Nice setting and idea, but uninspired execution. I enjoyed my time with it, maybe I just have low standards...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is it not working for others?

There are two seperate transgender jokes in the video so I'm just waiting for the inevitable here :/ There's already a huge discussion going on in the Escapist forums.

Otherwise, great video as usual, but nothing that really stands out imo.

jimi_dini

Fn9Bk4F.jpg

Burnburn

Haha, yeah that was a really funny one.

Seems like most of his complaints were issues with the controls, which he could have solved very easily switching to Wiimote+Nunchuck.

Alrus

They don't actually come with the system though do they?

Tbh he owns/owned a Wii considering he reviewed plenty of games for it, so he should have them. Not that it matters much, review was funny. (not as funny as the Animal Crossing one though, that was just perfect).

Gui_PT

That's not the point though, is it?

He's playing the game the way it's originally meant to be played so that's no excuse.

Edit: Top of page, I was talking about getting Wiimote+Nunchuck for Pikmin 3.

Sure, but having to buy something isn't exactly ideal.

If I bought the game I'd instantly be looking at another £30 on top of it to "play it properly".
True it's not ideal,but considering he's reviewed plenty of wii games he should have some laying around. Most reviews i see talk about playing with a wii-mote and nunchuck is the best way to play,he didn't even mention that you can use them in his review.

Massa

True it's not ideal,but considering he's reviewed plenty of wii games he should have some laying around. Most reviews i see talk about playing with a wii-mote and nunchuck is the best way to play,he didn't even mention that you can use them in his review.

Maybe he doesn't know you can use them... does the game pop up a message saying it was designed to be played with Wii controllers?

X-Com
declassified

Funny review.

Like I said when the Spoony review was posted, considering the importance of the flanking system, if they were going to rip something off, maybe they should've ripped off Brothers in Arms instead of Mass Effect. At least back in 2005, BiA allowed you to tell one of your troops to stay in position and lay down suppressing fire while you flanked. In Spoony's Bureau video, he showed a situation where he told his squad to move to cover and use Taunt to draw fire, while he ran down a side path to flank the enemy. Instead of staying put, his squadmates left cover to charge across the middle of the battlefield, getting wiped out. Judging by that video and the GBQL, it seems that the AI in this game doesn't have any self-preservation ability.

Yeah, a Brothers in Arms-style game would actually be a good fit (as far as shooters are concerned) for a traditionally-strategy series.

"The Bureau is the game that 2K have been threatening to make for a while now."
PNEbKTM.png

Raxus

He isn't wrong. For all the shit people give Nintendo for tutorializing, Rockstar get away with it time and time again.

Yep. through a chunk of the missions I just waited for the tutorial popped up instructing me what I had to do next to proceed.

A plane tutorial would have been nice outside of a firefight too. They also expect you to fly under 6 bridges and not die that mission for gold 'cause they are dicks. He is right though about the writing being all over the place. Part of the problem of juggling 3 protagonists.

UrbanRats

Been disagreeing with the guy quite often now, seeing as how he praised Infinite and AMFP, while disliking The Last of Us and GTA V. Whatever floats his boat, I guess.

Same.
I loved Last of Us and i'm enjoying GTAV a lot (although i have plenty of bones to pick with it, none of which were mentioned in the video however) but i am finding it VERY hard to even progress in Infinite, as the gameplay is incredibly bland and the story and writing aren't impressing me one bit.

EDIT: His criticisms of games have become somewhat worse though. Other than discussing a game as a whole, he tends to stick to one or two points of criticism and fill the entire episode with that.

That's what he has been doing to most games he kinda disliked from the start from day one. Shooters in particular, with the rather neat exception of Blood Dragon, for which he kindly dropped the shtick and proceeded to do some proper work.

But on the whole, much like Roger Ebert near the end didn't want to review every major movie anymore (because there really is only so much Bay that one can endure), I think Yahtzee is pretty much the same as anyone with an adult life: "why the fuck would I even want to play this shit?" A teenager or young adult, sure. But 30's and beyond? It doesn't stay fun forever.

To be honest, I'm sorta amazed he's even sticking around. But then, being paid to play some random ass video games might not be as dull as the next job. eh.

*checks wikipedia*
SONNAFABITCH I'm a month older than he is.

Mr. Sam

I think he actually did a pretty good job of addressing most of GTA's significant aspects - story, vehicle handling, tone, mission design, characters, etc.

I thought this might be interesting for you folk.

You may have heard of the YouTube channel Retsupurae. If you haven't, then basically, two Something Awful goons, slowbeef (moderator of the Let's Play subforum, and occasionally attributed as the "creator" of Let's Play, although he disputes that) and Diabetus (Alabamian, Battletoads fan, Super Mario Galaxy 2 LPer, diabetic), riff on various awful Let's Plays (or specific notorious LPers like PewDiePie or DarkSydePhil), longplays of dorky, corny, bizarre or awful video games, "horror" or "negotiation training" flash games, awful creepypastas and other gaming-related travesties.

Right, well, they also do podcasts. It started as an "every so often" kind of thing, but lately it's been fairly regularly on Tuesdays (with YouTube mirrors put up on Wednesdays). As for how this is at all relevant to a Zero Punctuation thread: this week, they had Yahtzee on as a guest. A good chunk of the podcast is questions being asked toward him, so this might be an interesting listen for you (no idea how much of it'd already been covered at things like the Escapist Expo or what not).

Rufus

Oh, cool. Thanks for bringing that up. I'm supscribed to their channel but haven't paid attention to anything they did in a long while.

Slowbeef also led the Policenauts fan translation project.

Top Bottom