• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theater owners and some studio chiefs agree on low quality of recent films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-cinemacon-20110330,0,1953345.story

Reporting from Las Vegas and Los Angeles— With movie theater attendance in the U.S. and Canada down a whopping 20% so far this year compared with 2010, cinema operators and some studio chiefs surprisingly agree on at least one cause: The movies haven't been very good.

"I think it all boils down to the quality of the movies," said Gerry Lopez, chief executive of AMC Entertainment Inc., the nation's second-largest theater chain. "This year we just haven't had those kind of movies that cut across all quadrants of age, race and income."

Michael Lynton, chief executive of Sony Pictures Entertainment, agreed: "So far there is just nothing terribly compelling about what we're delivering as an industry."

It's an unexpected concurrence among two camps that have increasingly been at odds over changes in the business. But the current downturn in ticket sales — the worst in at least six years — is top of mind for more than 6,000 theater owners, studio executives and vendors gathered in Las Vegas this week for CinemaCon, the exhibition industry's annual convention.

While audiences have outright rejected such recent movie offerings as "Mars Needs Moms," "Sucker Punch" and "Take Me Home Tonight," even hits like Justin Bieber's "Never Say Never," "The King's Speech" and "Battle: Los Angeles" pale in comparison with the early 2010 blockbusters "Avatar" and "Alice in Wonderland."

All of which has created an undercurrent of concern that changes in consumer behavior combined with the continued tough economic times, higher gasoline and movie ticket prices (driven in part by more premium-priced 3-D movies) could be drawing people away from theaters and toward less-expensive and readily available forms of entertainment such as Netflix streaming, video games and other digital media.

"For anyone in this business to not acknowledge the reality of the current forces at play would be doing the industry a disservice," said Universal Pictures Chairman Adam Fogelson. "All of us are looking for ways to make sure this isn't the time when theatrical moviegoing really does go away."

The industry has gone through box-office slumps before but always has recovered. Many are hopeful that's what will happen by May, when Johnny Depp sails into theaters with the latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie.

At CinemaCon, studios are seeking to excite theater owners with previews of some of their highly anticipated summer sequels, including "Fast Five," "The Hangover Part II" and "Cars 2" as well as fresh event films like the comic book adaptations "Thor" and "Green Lantern."

"As you look at the lineup of films this summer, there are some fantastic titles," said Alan Stock, chief executive of theater circuit Cinemark Holdings Inc.

Even so, analyst Barton Crockett at Lazard Capital Markets predicted in recent research that a strong summer and holidays would still leave attendance down 2% for the full year.

Of course, the flip side of that optimism is that if the summer would-be blockbusters don't deliver, attention on systemic problems will escalate.

"A weak summer is going to amp up everybody's concerns," Universal's Fogelson said.

The decline in admissions is troubling Hollywood. The number of tickets sold per person annually in the U.S. and Canada has steadily fallen for most of the last decade to 4.1 last year, the lowest since 1993. In a recent presentation, Bob Pisano, president of the Motion Picture Assn. of America, attributed the trend in part to declining attendance among baby boomers.

Overseas, where Hollywood studios make most of their money and the largest U.S. theater chains have a growing presence, the news does not appear to be as bad. Although complete statistics are unavailable, Lynton estimated that international box-office receipts so far in 2011 are roughly flat with 2010.

The U.S. remains the largest movie market, however. To grow their business here and further differentiate it from the improving home experience, theater owners continue to pour millions of dollars into upgrading their auditoriums with new digital systems capable of projecting in 3-D.

Higher 3-D ticket prices have been a boon to theaters — generating some 20% of box-office revenues last year — but some in the industry believe it may be backfiring, especially at a time when families are cutting back on discretionary spending.

The average ticket price at theaters in the U.S. last year rose to an all-time high of $7.89, up 5% from 2009, according to the National Assn. of Theatre Owners. The increase is largely attributed to 3-D screenings, for which consumers pay surcharges of $2.50 to $4 per ticket. Most of this summer's biggest films will be in 3-D.

"We believe that exhibitors' core strategy of raising prices through 3-D premiums and pushing concession pricing as far as humanly possible is a dangerous strategy," wrote Richard Greenfield, an analyst with BTIG Research in New York.

But others doubt cost is the problem.

"There's nothing in the research that suggests rising prices are keeping moviegoers away," Lynton said.

In a sign that the status quo may not be acceptable, theater chains have been taking steps to expand their businesses. Many now offer live events such as operas and sports. AMC and Regal Entertainment Group — the two largest chains — recently launched a joint venture to acquire and distribute movies in an effort to grow their supply at a time when the big Hollywood studios are cutting back on the number of films they make.

The move is also widely viewed as a response to the studios' plans to start offering movies in the home as soon as eight weeks after they open in theaters — instead of the usual three-month wait — in a bid to stem declining DVD revenue. Exhibitors are outraged by the idea of "premium video-on-demand." "Premium video-on-demand will definitely be a dagger in the business," said Lyndon Golin, president of Regency Theatres in Calabasas.

Beyond the latest crop of high-profile flops, 2011 has also seen a number of movies come in on the low end of expectations based on pre-release polling. That has some worried that the habit of heading out to theaters may be slipping.

"When the audience is in a moviegoing mood, you pick up a head of steam," Lynton said.

Still, exhibition executives express confidence that they know how to get that momentum back.

"I believe we have long-term systemic challenges that we must work to overcome," AMC's Lopez said. "But I like our chances as an entertainment option of the future."

If there's one thing nobody at CinemaCon will dispute, it's that Lopez's prediction must come true.

"I see no path to a healthy future for our business," Fogelson said, "that doesn't include vibrant, growing theatrical moviegoing attendance."

Evlar

Banned
I don't think that's it.

It's the narrowing choice in films and overproduction of certain genres. The relative weakness of both superhero and family animated films should be a clue.

Looks like they've hit the price ceiling. Movies are fine, there were lots of amazing movies people just can't afford to make the movie theater a regular habit like they used to.

exarkun

I dont really get it when people say netflix is killing the industry. Two different experiences, each with their own plus and minuses. Maybe if they lowered ticket prices then things would get rolling. Its funny how all it does is go up despite them making a killing off concessions.

My reason for not going is lack of time. Can they help me there?

gdt

I think it's fair to say it's the qualities of the 2011 movies so far. End of 2010 was huge for alot of smaller movies (Black Swan, True Grit, King's Speech) etc etc. 2011 has seen barely anything of note.

Get some good stuff in the theaters, and the public will see them.

Gamer98

Banned
Movies get worse, ticket prices get higher. What did they expect to happen? I did not go out to one movie last year. Sure there were some good ones but I find it easier to just wait for it to come out on Netfix.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
No shit Hollywood, you've been driving quality down for years now. The only sure thing that's gonna make a bunch of money this summer is probably Pirates 4 and Harry Potter. Super 8 may do better than expected.

even hits like Justin Bieber's "Never Say Never," "The King's Speech" and "Battle: Los Angeles" pale in comparison with the early 2010 blockbusters "Avatar" and "Alice in Wonderland."
Man, this sentence is stupid. The King's Speech did way better than it was expected to at the box office (easily eclipsing its budget) and Avatar handily outpaced Titanic to become the highest grossing film ever, of course anything released this year won't hold a candle to it. I'd bet nothing in the next decade will make more than Avatar.

Here's the first tip to turning things around: stop making shitty comic and superhero movies.

Zenith

Banned
I was just about to make a thread about how they've been no good movies this year. And not in the general complaining about Hollywood's unoriginality, but in that 6 months ago I looked at upcoming films and realised there wasn't a single one whose development I wanted to follow. There have been about two films that I would be interesting in watching, let alone pay for.

It's been a really, really shitty year even when just comparing it to the last 3 years of film releases. The fact that the only movie in the Oscars I'd even bothered to watch the trailers for was Black Swan says something.

Maybe it's me but I find going to the theater to be a complete hassle and a chore. I'd rather sit at home on my comfy couch with my 65" HDTV and 7.1 surround sound all in glorious 1080P. But maybe that's just me.

exarkun said:
I dont really get it when people say netflix is killing the industry. Two different experiences, each with their own plus and minuses. Maybe if they lowered ticket prices then things would get rolling. Its funny how all it does is go up despite them making a killing off concessions.

I forget what the exact figure was but theaters only make a few cents off ticket sales. Whatever it was its low. They get nearly all of their revenue from concessions.

Garjon

It's definitely the case in the UK at least - £10.50 to see Tron with no option to watch in 2D at one of the biggest cinemas in the region. For an average family, that's £42 for 2 hours of entertainment; it's just not doable at this point in time.

VitaminApple said:
Maybe it's me but I find going to the theater to be a complete hassle and a chore. I'd rather sit at home on my comfy couch with my 65" HDTV and 7.1 surround sound all in glorious 1080P. But maybe that's just me.
Yeah it's you. IMAX > Almost any home theater experience

What was the number for 2009 and how much of a bump did Avatar give attendance? That movie was a monster hit, so no wonder this year can't keep up with that.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Yeah it's you. IMAX > Almost any home theater experience
Depends on the movie. For action movies it is better in theater, but I rather watch other movies at home.

gdt

bolbronx said:
What are the ticketprices in the US?

Depends on your location really.

I always pay $7.50 matinée (for the super fuck awesome theater, I could pay $6.00 for the shitty one). I think it's $9.50 regular, +$3 for 3D.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
bolbronx said:
What are the ticketprices in the US?
$10-$12 here in California for a regular ticket. Usually closer to $12, though. 3D is usually $2-3 more and IMAX (if it's a legit IMAX) is around $18.

A few smaller theaters around me do offer some pretty good deals on certain days. $6 for a ticket and the theater is all digital projection with stadium seating so you aren't sacrificing quality.

owlbeak

If movies didn't cost $10 fucking dollars (3D is $12.50) and a soda didn't cost $5 for a small, maybe I'd go.

No thanks.

Guevara

I really don't get why anyone would go to the theater to see something that doesn't benefit from the theater experience. The latest Batman or Harry Potter? Sure, I'll go and pay to see it on a nicer system than mine. Eat Pray Love? Why would you go to the theater for that?

Slavik81

exarkun said:

'The industry' still makes nearly half its revenues off DVD sales. That's where efficient rental models like Netflix are really biting them.

Guevara said:
I really don't get why anyone would go to the theater to see something that doesn't benefit from the theater experience. The latest Batman or Harry Potter? Sure, I'll go and pay to see it on a nicer system than mine. Eat Pray Love? Why would you go to the theater for that?

dcA1h.jpg

This sums up my movie going behavior. (Guevara's post, not Juggernaut kitty)

Evlar

Banned
Guevara said:
Chiefly for the three to four month gap between theater and video release.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sucker Punched here. :/ Although here is cheaper, Around $20 including refreshments for 2 people.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I sincerely hope the theaters aren't convincing themselves it's anything but the price to attend a movie that's keeping people at home. The problem is that the possibilities for home entertainment are just blowing away what you get at a theater these days; moreover, the "bells and whistles" that theaters have tried (3D, IMAX) just cost even MORE but don't materially alter the core experience.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I love going to matinees on weekday afternoons. Cheaper ticket prices, no crowds, usually have the theater to myself. Great way to go watch a good drama or something.

SolKane

Evlar said:
I don't think that's it.

It's the narrowing choice in films and overproduction of certain genres. The relative weakness of both superhero and family animated films should be a clue.

Pretty much agreed. Just look at those monthly "Movies You Should See" threads. Same crap every month recycled in new packaging.

To be honest I don't find normal ticket prices that unfair. It's 9 or 10 dollary doos here (Canada) depending on which theater you go to, which isn't bad if you don't buy any food which I normally don't.

3D movies are a ripoff though at $15. Avatar is the only movie I've seen that comes close to justifying the extra expense and looking back even it wasn't worth it.

Average prices of 7? WHERE?!

Why would I pay 10 dollars for what might be a mediocre movie? Lower the price of the tickets to a reasonable 7 and I will consider paying 5 dollars for a box of chocolates, or 6 for nachos.

Also, watching movies at home is AMAZING. Sorry movie industry.

_Isaac

Spire said:
I love going to matinees on weekday afternoons. Cheaper ticket prices, no crowds, usually have the theater to myself. Great way to go watch a good drama or something.
This is true. I've done this a few times, and it's a pleasant experience. Of course, some movies work well with a big crowd.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I kinda switched to doing matinees. I just went to see Source Code this afternoon and it was only $6 at my theater here just outside Chicago.

I got my ticket, snack and pop for less than what a lot of people pay for their ticket, and it's all cuz I just go earlier in the day and do my bitch work at night, haha.

Ceebs

While price and quality are reasons I will wait for the Blu-Ray, the biggest reason I avoid the theaters are the crowds. Why am I paying to sit in a room full of rude people, cell phone lights, and people who do not bother with a babysiter.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The only movie I've seen at the movies in the last decade that warranted the trip was Avatar IMAX 3D. That's it. My home theater shits on everything else from a great height (except for IMAX), plus I can pause, go get a scotch, and resume, all without some fuck talking on his cell phone or some shitheel bringing a crying 6 mo. old to an R-rated movie (Fight Club, I'm looking at you).

It's not the quality of the movie. People will go in droves to see utter trash (see: movie you hate). It's the price of the tickets and the concessions, along with the rudeness of the other customers.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For me it's just been the terribly unoriginal story ideas along with sequels, prequels, spin offs, etc.

Seems Hollywood is unwilling to take risks now and are more focused on profit than actual 'cinema'. Don't get a lot of people who have a passion to tell a story or make a movie anymore just because they really loved it (besides The Fighter). And this has led to a glut of movies that just 'feel' extremely formulaic.

Quality? I don't know if we can say quality exactly... but it is an issue of content. Most movies these days just don't really appeal to me. The ideas just don't catch my interest.

Price is another huge issue, of course. But I really can't cite that as the number one issue why I don't go see movies. The reality is, there just aren't many movies that I want to see. Not many that I'd be willing to pay for.

bolbronx

XMonkey said:
$10-$12 here in California for a regular ticket. Usually closer to $12, though. 3D is usually $2-3 more and IMAX (if it's a legit IMAX) is around $18.

A few smaller theaters around me do offer some pretty good deals on certain days. $6 for a ticket and the theater is all digital projection with stadium seating so you aren't sacrificing quality.

I just remember it as beeing extremely cheap compared to here.
But last time I went to a movie theater in the US I saw The Incredibles & Ray (NY & Houston)

If I wanted to go see True Grit tomorrow, it would run me about $18.

I invited my girlfriend to go see Inception, ended up costing me about $75.

It's so expensive here (if you're on a budget like me) that going is kind of a big deal. A special occasion thing.
So i make damn sure the movie is worth it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
To be honest I have only gone to the theaters to watch a movie twice in the past 2 years. Most films I wait for the home release. Saw Ironman 2 in Imax with some friends, and Back to the Future when it was shown in theaters for a day. I think that is it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'd say it's the combination of everything.

The reliance on the Blockbuster and decaying quality.
The increasing amount of competition to price. Price of theaters rise, while for the price of two tickets, nets you Netflix for a month.
The theater experience is now consisted of assholes who want to play on their phones, people bringing kids, teenagers fucking around, etc. The catch is the theater will not kick them out, but rather have you leave with a refund.
It's entertainment... lousy entertainment.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Looks like they've hit the price ceiling. Movies are fine, there were lots of amazing movies people just can't afford to make the movie theater a regular habit like they used to.
Yep, movie ticket prices have more than doubled here in the last 10 years.
Needless to say I rarely ever go anymore.

Low quality of recent films? Hollywood's output has been shit for years, now. I honestly can't remember the last time I left a theater feeling satisfied with the film I just watched.

Hollywood needs to cut down on film budgets, especially when it comes to actor pay.

There is no fucking way a film like How Do You Know should cost $120 million to make. With a few notable exceptions, big-name actors don't guarantee box office success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom