• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a real lack of innovation with control pads × ○ △ □

I've been thinking about this for a while now. The iconic × ○ △ □ of PlayStation control pads is synonymous with the design aesthetic and the DNA of PlayStation, I couldn't imagine a controller where this was never the case. The PlayStation controller, in my experience, whether you find the controller comfortable or not, has pretty much etched and inscribed into my understanding and sentience when gaming, that these buttons are consistent and uniform.

What I mean by that, is no matter what game I play, when the system tells me a button prompt for an input, I know that X will always be in the same place. □ for □, △ for △ etc. I can adapt quickly to any new game because the controller layout and buttons are virtually memorised and second nature to me.

While the PlayStation console has seen several changed to the PlayStation controller since it's inception, these changes have been gradual and never radical. Though I believe the Dual Shock 4 is vastly under utilised and that developers could massively benefit a little more from use of the light pad, the tracking pad and the microphone. Motion control potentially but the huge opportunity missed is the tracking pad.

However, other companies just do not seem to be great at innovating when it comes to controllers. Let me explain why I feel this way.

No other company has a controller that is as universally recognised for familiarity and it's facial layout and design. For years, companies have persisted with A, B, Y and X and this is really fucking annoying when X is at three totally different places from the Dual Shock 4, to the XBOX One and the Nintendo Switch. I mean look at this.

azFYh6qzotEBwEhShU8PRcI8jOEv4PQIyWiaQvORGlE.jpg

An X button in four completely different controllers and yet the only consistent ones are the Dual Shock and the XBOX Controller.

Nintendo have had many different controllers in the past but their designs and buttons have varied so much. The trident controller of the Nintendo 64 was illogical and impractical with 2 d-pads, a single analog stick and three(?) pressable buttons. The PlayStation controller was very much an evolution of the SNES controller, I won't even try and defend that it was heavily inspired by that. The addition of extra shoulder buttons and paddles to hold on to changed a lot. The dual analog design was one of the earliest and has become the status quo of modern controllers and that was a Sony design. In point of fact, one of the first games I played that used the left stick to control the movement and the right stick to control the camera was Alien Resurrection (2000.) But even the GameCube controller was difficult to adapt to. Odd numbers of shoulder buttons that were not symmetrical. The face buttons were very poorly designed, (X in a different place once again) and the analog sticks were not great for long periods of play. I ended up putting blu tack on the right stick as it got slippery fast when the sweat off my hands during game play sessions would get onto it. The Wii mote in a sense was an excellent feat of design, being comfortable and unique enough that you really could get used to, though it wasn't very practical outside of motion control games, the major flaw here was the lack of an indistinguishable and recognisable input scheme. Plus and minus buttons don't really do it for me. Plus and Minus, A, B, C, Z as well as 1 and 2. There's just too much going on there. The Switch is a welcome return to form for me, with the SR and SL buttons tucked away but a familiar feel. Just a poor form factor and once again, another A, B, X, Y to get used too.

SEGA also are guilty of less than ideal designs. Whilst the Mega Drive controller was one I had a long period of time to get used too, I never liked the three button input and the SEGA Saturn launch controller was disgusting. Six face buttons, a really poor D pad as well as being genuinely uncomfortable to hold and no select button felt a bit behind by then. However, whilst incredibly flawed, the DreamCast controller building upon the Saturn 3D Controller was a great design, lacking only in a second shoulder button both left and right as well as a second analog stick. Honestly with these changes and dropping the letters on the face buttons for just coloured buttons, it would have made a huge difference to me and been a lot easier to adapt to and use.

The OUYA controller is another poor design for face buttons, I get that they used their name on the control pad, but surely OUYA should have been O, U, Y, A top to bottom and not in the reverse?

For all people criticise Sony for not making drastic changes to the control pad, you can see why they have chosen not to do so. It would be so difficult to get to grips with a different design that the real opportunity now for Sony is paddles on the rear, a new form factor etc.

But surely, when considering it properly. For all the third party companies making controllers for consoles, PC, mobile devices etc. They're all suffering from the same fatigue that creates controllers that are a carbon copy of a carbon copy. If you've read my post properly and appreciated that these are my opinions about comfort and design etc. Surely you can still agree that we just aren't seeing a real development in controllers designed for gaming and perhaps gamer's who always say that a revised controller is an opportunity for Sony would accept that consistency has actually been ideal for Sony. Hell, the boomerang controller went down a treat didn't it?

I think some real creativity and innovation like what Microsoft is doing with the next XBOX controller is necessary, customisable controllers may be the future but without such a high cost of entry.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
this is why I always play with kb&m if given the option. gives me headache every time. I feel like even games like dark souls are superior on kb&m

Last edited:

Rran

I think the PlayStation controller is pretty bad, honestly. Why is the D-Pad still in the primary position when nearly every game uses the analog instead? Why is the D-Pad still pointlessly split into four buttons? And your ABXY issue really started with the PlayStation 1, which opted to copy the SNES pad and arbitrarily changed the position of the button named X.

By comparison, Nintendo's done something cool with their controllers every generation. NES introduced the D-Pad, SNES had shoulder buttons, the N64 had the analog stick, rumble and a true trigger button, the GCN had wireless, the Wii brought in motion controls and a ton of new players because of it, the Wii U had off-screen gameplay which was essentially the prototype for the Switch, which introduces modular controllers and built-in multiplayer.

I think the lack of innovation in game pads is all on Sony and (to a lesser extent) Microsoft.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Share button on PS4 controller is just brilliant. 15 minutes always captured up to that point... one of the best innovations this gen.
I also really like trigger/levers like on scuf controllers.
Other than that I feel PS4 has the most well rounded controller but xbox has the better one for fps's.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I ain't even getting into this one, everyone has their preferences.
But yeah The Dualshock is iconic and probably the easiest to pick up due to consistency over 25 year's.
If you used it for that long.

Hardcore gamers don't want innovation in controllers. They shriek every time it actually happens. The Wiimote was/is a superior form of aiming but the lack of a second analogue stick made people froth at the mouth.

HeresJohnny

The problem is that controllers have to not just functional, but serviceable for every type of game that comes on the platform. Some controllers are fun for one or two genres, but very few are good for most or all. I want a controller that makes me forget I'm holding a controller, something that just becomes an extension of my arms and hands. I don't need it to be the focal point of the experience when I'm playing a game, I want the game to be.

EDIT: the funny thing for me is that I really don't have issues with any of the controllers on the market right now; I think they're all good. The Xbox controller is super comfortable and has nice buttons and shoulder triggers. The PS4 controller is like old faithful albeit with improved sticks. And the Switch controller shell thingy works pretty damn good too (and I've heard the Pro Controller is amazing). I only take issue when a controller starts to distract from the game.

I'm just a conventional controls guy, I guess.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Good post, enjoyed reading it.

I think Sony are happiest with minimal invention and it works for them so that's cool. Like the post above mine says, you often forget you're using a controller as it becomes an extension of your arms/hands and therefore the thing you're controlling.

Nintendo are true originators for design which shows as they have a history getting much better use out of their controllers than third-party devs. The Wii U is probably the odd one out as they themselves never figured out how to get the best of it. It honestly sucked IMO.

There's a bit of an absence of console VR and I believe Sony have done an excellent job leading on PSVR with games like Farpoint, and more recently Everybody's Golf, really getting the best out of the controller stick thing. Also peripherals like that plastic gun thingy. Labo is cool but it feels more experimental than purposeful.

Thankfully Microsoft are banned from making changes to controllers after Kinect.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Isn't the issue with Steam Controller that you need to set up the controller for every game you want to play?

sort of, the input doc is replete with goodies and it's easier to use than game genie

nobody bought it, support waned

here we are

Last edited:
I'm hopeful that I can use my current crop of controllers on next gen (already confirmed for Scarlett). It's not that I don't want change, I just don't want to keep rebuying controllers each generation.

brap

Banned
I think the PlayStation controller is pretty bad, honestly. Why is the D-Pad still in the primary position when nearly every game uses the analog instead? Why is the D-Pad still pointlessly split into four buttons? And your ABXY issue really started with the PlayStation 1, which opted to copy the SNES pad and arbitrarily changed the position of the button named X.

By comparison, Nintendo's done something cool with their controllers every generation. NES introduced the D-Pad, SNES had shoulder buttons, the N64 had the analog stick, rumble and a true trigger button, the GCN had wireless, the Wii brought in motion controls and a ton of new players because of it, the Wii U had off-screen gameplay which was essentially the prototype for the Switch, which introduces modular controllers and built-in multiplayer.

I think the lack of innovation in game pads is all on Sony and (to a lesser extent) Microsoft.
You're right. Nintendo good. Everybody else bad.

dottme

Changing the controller just to change it isn’t a good idea.
I think now all the controller are quite close and it’s just adjustment based on the preferences and like of some.

But controller has been refined for years and I think it’s normal that we start to stabilize and what is a quite good design which adapt well to multiple type of gameplay.

However, I’m expecting we are going to see a lot of evolution on the VR side where developer are still trying to find what’s the best way to play VR, if VR doesn’t die too fast.

From my personal preferences, I like a lot the WiiU pro controller which was really light and with the two sticks on the top.

Rran

You're right. Nintendo good. Everybody else bad.

I calls 'em like I see 'em! Sony's best controller innovation was the second stick they added to the original PS1 controller, and they've pretty much sat on their laurels since then, controller-wise.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
not sure about lack of innovation. i have loved the joycons. they are a revolution. instead of one brick of a controller, it's two smaller halves. the standard video game controllers are just so big, these massive unweildly plastic things, and your hands are grappling them the whole time, it puts all this strain on them. the joycons are a delight. they are lightweight and modular. you can play with them sideways or clip them onto the screen for portable. i can hang them from my wrists during cutscenes. i can point and shoot my bow and arrow in Zelda with ease.

it rules. the first day i had a Switch, i was not so sure, i thought they looked small, cheap. that was for all of 10 minutes. soon i fell in love. you really don't need a huge button to just, you know, push a button. it is low impact gaming. IMO it is a step in a cool direction.

Last edited:
Im probably in the vast minority, but I kind of feel like if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I guess I didn’t quite get the same enjoyment from other control methods or peripherals as I did with traditional or familiar controllers.

Last edited:

Griffon

The dual shock has the best dpad, it's the most well rounded controller and fits for pretty much all genres, 2d and 3d. I cant say the same thing for the others.

xool

FF:Enhanced_Reality FF:Enhanced_Reality Everything you enjoy in the DualShock is something Nintendo came up with, yet you consider Sony the innovator. Serious question: were you old enough to play any console before the Playstation?

Not this again - I mean yes - there's some truth - but this is the best Nintendo made before PS(1)

Sony's contribution
  • Non-insane positioning of "joystic"
  • Dual sticks
THERE IS A REAL LACK OF INNOVATION WITH CONTROL PADS

I've been thinking about this for a while now
ok - the title makes it sound like the post is about innovation, but the text is actually a letter of compaint about face button naming .. just saying

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
They don’t need “innovation” for innovations sake. They need to be realistically useable in most games and not be presented as an extra gimmick that only some people will use.

I would go so far as to say we are peak controller right now.

GenericUser

They don’t need “innovation” for innovations sake. They need to be realistically useable in most games and not be presented as an extra gimmick that only some people will use.

I agree, DS4 is already really good imo. Just improve whats left to improve, we don't need innovation for the sake of innovation. Like get rid of the light bar and the touch pad can also be replaced with something more useful. There are other things that come to mind, but I think the controller is already really solid and works, why change that?

kevin_trinh

That what make them great when you want to play fighting game, coz fighting require more precise input, meanwhile the analog position still comfortable for other game.

odhiex

Yay?
What great innovation.

The next controller should be named after you.

You really brought something new to the table there.

Ehmm why my name?

On a serious note, in regards to controllers, I don't think that we really need a vastly different control scheme in every generation. There are reasons that people are still comfortable with the current layout.

I agree that we have to innovate all the time. However, bear in mind if you want to bring new things as a standard, you will need to shift the player's paradigms on how to control (see Wii, VR, touches, etc) and it is not simple to do it better.

This I agree, but not the last part.

TLZ

Banned
FF:Enhanced_Reality FF:Enhanced_Reality Everything you enjoy in the DualShock is something Nintendo came up with, yet you consider Sony the innovator. Serious question: were you old enough to play any console before the Playstation?
The placement yes, but the choice of shapes was a brilliant one, that made remembering inputs and placement much easier due to them shapes meaning something. They're not random like a,b,x,y.

PSYGN

They need to add buttons on the back as standard. It's a game changer especially for shooters.

Last edited:

xool

Sensible thing to do would be (for MS,Sony,Nintendo + EA,Ubi etc) to form a "controller working group" and make some basic standard expectations for controllers.

This is actualy pretty normal, even between competitors - we have working groups for things like HTML, CSS, wireless charging etc etc - that create basic standards..

That way we could have innovations like back buttons (that people actually want, not gimmicks), and not worry about it being on PS5 but not Xbox2 etc..

Banned
Share button on PS4 controller is just brilliant. 15 minutes always captured up to that point... one of the best innovations this gen.
I also really like trigger/levers like on scuf controllers.
Other than that I feel PS4 has the most well rounded controller but xbox has the better one for fps's.

the share button/game recording on PS4 is dogshit.
to record the last few minutes (how many depends on your settings) you have to open the share menu and press square... easy enough right?
but depending on the game just loading this feature up can take up to, and I'm not kidding you, 10sec.
I once tried to record a short clip in Apex Legends and got killed because it took the console so long to let me record.

meanwhile on the Xbox One, you press Home and X to record in your standard setting... this takes 1 second TOPS no matter what game you play.
and if you want to change the amount of gameplay you want to retroactively record you press Home and View (select) and then you can choose how many minutes/seconds you want to save.
on PS4 the only way to choose mow much gameplay you want to save is to go onto the system settings.

ontop of that, short clips will automatically get uploaded to xbox live wher all you friends can see them... no need to upload to YouTube or Twitter to share your stuff. it just gets shared in the background while you continue playing.

so the recording feature on Xbox is just so much better than the equivalent on PS4, and a dedicated button for it is absolutely not needed, as the Xbox can do all of that by using the Home button

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that, while it's true that the psx controller is a descendant of the snes controller, and that Sony added analog controls in reaction to the N64's control scheme, you may want to keep in mind the following:
- by that point d-pads were standard on home console
- analog sticks existed for long before the N64's controller
- Sony's controller design was really outstanding and this is the shape most controllers released today are the most inspired by (sometimes going as far as mis aligning the analog sticks)

Bryank75

Banned
the share button/game recording on PS4 is dogshit.
to record the last few minutes (how many depends on your settings) you have to open the share menu and press square... easy enough right?
but depending on the game just loading this feature up can take up to, and I'm not kidding you, 10sec.
I once tried to record a short clip in Apex Legends and got killed because it took the console so long to let me record.

meanwhile on the Xbox One, you press Home and X to record in your standard setting... this takes 1 second TOPS no matter what game you play.
and if you want to change the amount of gameplay you want to retroactively record you press Home and View (select) and then you can choose how many minutes/seconds you want to save.
on PS4 the only way to choose mow much gameplay you want to save is to go onto the system settings.

ontop of that, short clips will automatically get uploaded to xbox live wher all you friends can see them... no need to upload to YouTube or Twitter to share your stuff. it just gets shared in the background while you continue playing.

so the recording feature on Xbox is just so much better than the equivalent on PS4, and a dedicated button for it is absolutely not needed, as the Xbox can do all of that by using the Home button
Does the job for me, never took long unless I had really used up most of the memory on the console.
More of a system management issue than a UI issue.
Anyway, my point was that PlayStation came up with that.... it was their innovation. MS may have a decent version of it, I don't have any experience of it.

Airola

I think controllers have too many buttons.

The moment when controllers jumped the shark was when they made the analog sticks as buttons too.

NES controller hits the sweet spot for me. And if we want more complex control options, then the analog stickless original PS1 controller is the maximum peak I still accept and would've been fine with if that was where the controller evolution stopped.

Banned
Does the job for me, never took long unless I had really used up most of the memory on the console.
More of a system management issue than a UI issue.
Anyway, my point was that PlayStation came up with that.... it was their innovation. MS may have a decent version of it, I don't have any experience of it.

it depends on the game. Apex literally takes 5-10 seconds minimum each time you want to record a clip.
that's reproducible on multiple PS4 systems. I have a FAT and a Pro, and both take ages until I can finally oress square to save my gameplay in Apex.

and there are other games with similar issues.

meanwhile on Xbox it never takes longer than a second, no matter what game you play... Apex or anything.

and it automatically uploads to xbox live in the background for your friends to see.

it's just so, so, so much better in every way

Simpkin92

I always played with a standard controller for 10+ years until about a year ago I bought an Xbox elite controller. Hands down the best thing I’ve played with. I am a firm believer that buttons on the back should be standard.

Top Bottom