• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There might be a new Jay-Z album on the way.

moeman

"Black excellence, opulence, decadence
Tuxes next to the president, I’m present
I dress, in Dries, and other boutique stores in Paris
In sheepskin coats, I silence the lambs

Do you know who I am, Clarice?
No cheap cologne whenever I “shh-shh”
Success never smelled so sweet
I stink of success, the new black elite
They say my Black Card bears the mark of the beast
I repeat: my religion is the beat
My verse is like church, my Jesus piece
Now please, domino, domino
Only spot a few blacks the higher I go
What’s up to Will? Shout out to O
That ain’t enough.. we gonna need a million more
"Kick in the door" Biggie flow
I’m all dressed up with nowhere to go...."

This is one of Jay's best verses and his delivery on the bolded is absolutely insane, especially the "Sheepskin" part.

Let's not forget No Church in The Wild which is one of his best/most complex verses which somehow manages not to teeter into pseudo-deepness like too many tracks on MCHG do, and Primetime, and Why I Love You, and more.

Murder to Excellence is one of my favorite songs ever. Both Jay-Z and Kanye at their best lyrically IMO. There's something about choir-inspired choruses that nobody else does better than Kanye (Murder to Excellence, Two Words, etc.).

AG was hot fire, and I liked a lot of WTT, but I haaaaaated MCHG. On literally every single song I found myself saying "why in the hell would you ruin a beat this good with a rap this bad." Glad to see I'm not alone here.

If 4:44 ends up being MCHG level beats with AG level verses we'll be in for a treat, but I'm not holding my breath.

jbug617

Banned
Yeah they are marketing it like a new album is coming.
Saw this on Twitter
DBp-ZpOWsAYGaH-

Dre3001

Biggest issue with Jay is he ran out stuff to say.

He's released 12 solo albums plus a few joint albums with Kanye, R.Kelly, and even Linkin Park.

After all those albums what is there left for him to say without sounding like an old guy trying to stay young.

It's not a coincidence his last great solo album was American Gangster where he was basically storytelling about being a drug dealer again.

I'll still check for it since it's Jay and even his worst albums have some solid material on them but I think most people are right to have their expectations in check.

AG was hot fire, and I liked a lot of WTT, but I haaaaaated MCHG. On literally every single song I found myself saying "why in the hell would you ruin a beat this good with a rap this bad." Glad to see I'm not alone here.

If 4:44 ends up being MCHG level beats with AG level verses we'll be in for a treat, but I'm not holding my breath.

I can only imagine what early 00s Hov would have done with a beat as fire as FuckwithmeyouknowIgotit

his verses on it as is were mediocre, but god damn. Prime Jay Z would have fucked that shit up.

I hope the production on this new one is good at least. MCHG had some cool beats.

Sorcerer

Bear with me, but there's some credence to what this topic is about.

1) So, very recently, sites like The Fader and Hypebeast have had this image pop up in their ad space.

Now, when you look at the source code of the sites hosting the ad, you see it's titled "Tidal 4:44 1280x720", at least it does on The FADER.

2) Someone on Twitter remarked that this same ad popped up on the Jay St. subway station in New York. Said station is in Brooklyn. Also, in Times Square this popped up,

3) Jay's playing some festivals toward the end of summer. He's playing Made in America (his own festival), the Meadows, and Austin City Limits. This is in addition to his 10-year touring exclusivity deal with Live Nation. This suggests that something is on the horizon that he intends on touring.

Now, of course, this can just be complete nonsense and this isn't really for Jay at all, but I like my random music conspiracy theories, so I guess let's wait and see.

EDIT:

Hey, theres Nas under the 4:44. Takeover2/Ether 2?

-GJ-

I thought Magna Carta was a pretty boring album (some of the beats did bang though). I don't really need to hear a 50 year old dude rap about diapers. I hope this album is gonna be more interesting, subject matter wise.

effzee

Biggest issue with Jay is he ran out stuff to say.

He's released 12 solo albums plus a few joint albums with Kanye, R.Kelly, and even Linkin Park.

After all those albums what is there left for him to say without sounding like an old guy trying to stay young.

It's not a coincidence his last great solo album was American Gangster where he was basically storytelling about being a drug dealer again.

I'll still check for it since it's Jay and even his worst albums have some solid material on them but I think most people are right to have their expectations in check.

To me it's less the subject or content and more to do with his lack of passion or consistency in his flow and energy.

There is no new topic or subject matter that Jay or any musician really covers. It's all been said and done before. But if you are going to continue making albums at least put effort into delivering whatever message, story, or topic you present.

DeSo

Banned
The guy hasn't done anything worthwhile since American Gangster and even that was average. I really hope this will change.

Yeah, in before dumbass Jay-Z fans who think everything he touches is great.

Cake, cake-cake, cake-cake, cake
500 million, I got a pound cake
Niggas is frontin', that's upside-down cake
Get 'em a red nose, they clown cakes
They shoulda never let you 'round cake
Look at my neck, I got a karat cake
Now here's the icin' on the cake
Cake, cake-cake, cake-cake, uhh

No sir

Wow I thought this was a joke but this is real

well you dont have to listen to it, not like someone has a gun to your head lol. i want a new jay album.
This is what being a Troy Ave Stan does to you.

Shitposting aside, I just wonder what Jay has to say with this record. He's been more outspoken these past couple of years and I wonder if that'll make an appearance on this record.

effzee

Why is not wanting another Jay-Z album a shitpost?

His output has been garbage for years...

Is Jay Z releasing an album preventing you from listening to better albums or artists? Is he forcing you to listen to him?

I never get why rap fans are so adamant about things like "had nothing left to say" or how certain artists shouldn't release new music.

If it's good it's good and if it isn't you still have his classics and you don't have to listen to the new stuff.

LionPride

Banned
well you dont have to listen to it, not like someone has a gun to your head lol. i want a new jay album.
But like, I have to listen to it. It's Jay. The only rap artists I just say no to off jump are like Electronica, Em, and...well that's it. I give most other projects a listen at least

ZeoVGM

Banned
The guy hasn't done anything worthwhile since American Gangster and even that was average. I really hope this will change.

But American Gangster was not average. It was great. Blueprint 3 was "average."

American Gangster is incredible and would be more acclaimed had it came out pre-KC.
Blueprint 3 was good, and WTT was great.
He's also had plenty of amazing features since 2010 and prior to then.

Top Bottom