• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They Shoot Pictures 1000 Greatest Films updated for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timber

CajoleJuice said:
These.

(excel file)
Thanks, man. This is a real treasure.

some interesting things:

- top critics prefer Rules of the Game over Citizen Kane :O
- top critics really love The Magnificent Ambersons
- top critics like Max Ophuls a lot
- 8 1/2 ranks low with top critics but number 2 with female critics
- 8 1/2 ranks number 2 with filmmakers. no surprise there
- filmmakers love Lawrence of Arabia. i've heard about David Lean being a 'director's director'
- female critics like Jules & Jim a lot more than their male counterparts. funny because it's been accused of misogyny (which is a ridiculous claim)

Deadly

Could someone explain to me why Citizen Kane is seen as the best film ever? I just saw it not long ago and while I did find the themes and whatsoever interesting I don't see it as the best ever. But hey I'm no film buff or anything either.

Deadly said:
Could someone explain to me why Citizen Kane is seen as the best film ever? I just saw it not long ago and while I did find the themes and whatsoever interesting I don't see it as the best ever. But hey I'm no film buff or anything either.

You kind of have to put it in the context of when it was made to understand why it is so revered. It changed cinema.

The thing that really impresses me about Citizen Kane is that it feels pretty modern for a movie made 70 years ago. Some of the scenes haven't aged very much at all, and considering that I've seen cinema from the 50's that I find unwatchable, that's very much a feat unto itself.

JavaMava

RSTEIN said:
I find it hard to believe there are 700 movies better than There Will Be Blood.

I need to watch these 700 other movies. I loved that film so much knowing there are several hundred more out there I may enjoy just as much or possibly more makes me almost giddy.

bud

swoon said:
913/1000

ones i haven't seen if someone could recommend things off this list:

Code:
Where is the Friend's Home?
It's a Gift
Kes
Teorema
Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors
Damned, The
Devils, The
Underground
Story of a Cheat, The
Jour se lève, Le
Outskirts 
Hellzapoppin'
Hour of the Furnaces, The
Belle noiseuse, La
Ceddo
Pakeezah
Mother
Limite
Trou, Le
Sugar Cane Alley
Judex 
Saragossa Manuscript, The
Red Sorghum
Kameradschaft
Caro diario
Ju Dou
Yeelen
Red and the White, The
Nibelungen, Die
Spider's Stratagem, The
Happiness 
Out 1: Spectre
Touki Bouki
Pixote
Douce
Mädchen in Uniform
End of St. Petersburg, The
Wild River
Moana
Festen
Chikamatsu monogatari
Under the Bridges
Ride Lonesome
Rose Hobart
Death of Mr. Lazarescu, The
Too Early, Too Late
Ceremony, The
Baker's Wife, The
Devil in the Flesh
Night of the Shooting Stars, The
My Friend Ivan Lapshin
Kanal
Shin heike monogatari
Arsenal
Song of Ceylon
Toute une nuit
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

of all the movies you mentioned here, the only one i've heard of is happiness (assuming it's the one with hoffman).

As was said earlier, you have to let some films age for a while before you can count them in the top whatever of all time objectively. I love There Will Be Blood and think that it will be one of the defining films of last decade (and I put it in my personal top five of all time), but it's only been out for two and a half years. Let's give it some time.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
swoon said:
ones i haven't seen if someone could recommend things off this list:

Damned, The
Devils, The
Underground
Trou, Le
Judex
Ju Dou
Chikamatsu monogatari
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

From what you haven't, those are the ones I've seen with the three I most strongly recommend in bold. I hated Four Horsemen and am not really a fan of Visconti, so the Damned didn't do much for me. There are a other Yimou films I prefer over Ju Dou (To Live, Happy Times)... Judex was a long time ago and in pretty rough condition, so I'd rather watch it via the MoC release sometime.

UraMallas

I can think of 5 Hitchcock movies that are better than Vertigo off the top of my head. 3 without even accessing my left brain.

Cosmic Bus said:
From what you haven't, those are the ones I've seen with the three I most strongly recommend in bold. I hated Four Horsemen and am not really a fan of Visconti, so the Damned didn't do much for me. There are a other Yimou films I prefer over Ju Dou (To Live, Happy Times)... Judex was a long time ago and in pretty rough condition, so I'd rather watch it via the MoC release sometime.

This is totally off-topic, but did you ever end up seeing Big Fan? I remember you made that thread about it, but I don't remember ever seeing you bump it with a review/impressions or anything like that.

Also, to the poster before me: put your money where your mouth is. Vertigo is just amazing.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
This is totally off-topic, but did you ever end up seeing Big Fan? I remember you made that thread about it, but I don't remember ever seeing you bump it with a review/impressions or anything like that.

I did. It was alright, nothing special; nice to see Patton get to show a little range beyond his usual "fat comic relief best friend" roles, but the story is routine and went exactly where I figured it eventually would. Worth a rent. The other movie I'd mentioned in that topic, World's Greatest Dad, was pretty terrible.

C4Lukins

UraMallas said:
I can think of 5 Hitchcock movies that are better than Vertigo off the top of my head. 3 without even accessing my left brain.

Yeah I have never understood the love for Vetigo compared to the rest of Hitchcock's work.

Cosmic Bus said:
I did. It was alright, nothing special; nice to see Patton get to show a little range beyond his usual "fat comic relief best friend" roles, but the story is routine and went exactly where I figured it eventually would. Worth a rent. The other movie I'd mentioned in that topic, World's Greatest Dad, was pretty terrible.

I asked because I just finished watching the movie. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but it hit two specific niches of mine: Patton Oswalt (who was pretty fantastic in it) and character study. I may be inflating it in my mind because of how much I was anticipating watching it (due to my insatiable love for Patton Oswalt and the fact that I liked The Wrestler), but I'd definitely put it in my top 10 for last year (though I've not yet seen most of the smaller films).

I saw World's Greatest Dad as well, back during the summer. I thought that it was funny and enjoyed Robin Williams's performance in it, but it wasn't anything world-shattering. As I think back on it, I can't help but think that it was too silly and surreal for its own good.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I just wanted to satiate my own curiosity, having remembered that you made that thread.

Edit: Back on topic, I've been wondering what films are the likely candidates to be held up as all-time greats in the future. We've had some people comment that the top 25 is mostly older films; what, from the past ten years, would be likely to make that list?

JavaMava said:
I need to watch these 700 other movies. I loved that film so much knowing there are several hundred more out there I may enjoy just as much or possibly more makes me almost giddy.

But #1? Seriously? I mean I understand it's influence (even though most people stretch it out) but the film by no means has stood the test of time. There have been other movies that I personally found that not only were highly influential but also stood the test of time (I.E. Metropolis).

Flying_Phoenix said:
But #1? Seriously? I mean I understand it's influence (even though most people stretch it out) but the film by no means has stood the test of time. There have been other movies that I personally found that not only were highly influential but also stood the test of time (I.E. Metropolis).

...wait, what movie are you talking about? The post you quoted was talking about There Will Be Blood.

Timber

Karakand said:
It's a good flick.
What's there is very good, but I'd give my right toe to see Welles' original version without all the studio cuts. As it is, is has a very strange cadence and at times I feel it has some difficulty becoming more than the sum of its parts. But some of those parts are done so masterfully and are way beyond everything else that was made at the time, save for Kane.

My favourite scene in Ambersons is when George has a fight with his aunt at the breakfast table. The camera is placed at the other side of the table, at eye level, and it's all done in one shot. That way it almost felt like I was there, sitting at the opposite end of the table witnessing the two argue, with all the unease and awkwardness that goes with it, as opposed to being an absent spectator watching it in a movie. A lesser filmmaker (meaning, everyone else) would've used close-ups to show the characters getting angry at each other, thus making the scene much less effective. It's things like these that remind me why Welles was on a different level from his contemporaries.

I think if Ambersons hadn't been butchered, it would be in top 10s of all the lists. Such a tragedy what happened to it.

harSon

Banned
UraMallas said:

Vertigo is the best American film of all time. It's also one of few Hitchcock films that had an ending that didn't make me want to rip my pubes off hair by hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom