• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things/events in Games so Rare/Poorly Documented that Nobody Else Knows they Exist

Opa-Pa

There's that ultra rare ennemy in the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne! If I remember correctly, he wasnn't documented in the guides, but someone discovered it and posted the dungeon code online, so anybody can go pay him a visit!

Very strange mob, too. The head of the creature can travel trough his body depending where you're attacking him!

Holy shit. I have to see that thing myself.

There are a few boss fights in Kingdom Hearts 1 that could be run away from like the 1st Clayton phase (as noted by the barrier appearing in the cutscene between phases) and Captain Hook. This means in the vanilla version with unskippable cutscenes, players didn't actually had to rewatch the infamous "not Clayton" line repeatedly by running from the fight after that line and creating a checkpoint.

Haha yeah, I remember using this back in the day. Tried it again in the PS4 collection recently because Hook was the first boss to give me trouble and yup, still works.

In final fantasy tactics advance, it's possible to have mewt die in the tutorial snow ball fight if you have every player character target fire him and don't miss any snow balls. It requires a lot of luck and isn't worth the effort and it doesn't change anything.

Nimby

Banned
Romancing Saga on PS2 is a fairly niche game that not many played and is huge in of itself. When players datamined the game they found a katana that no one knew how to obtain called the Gekkubijin. It was rumored that if you completed Gray's quest a certain way, you would receive this weapon instead of the Falcata, but no one was able to replocate it.

Loot in this game is "semi-random" in some locations loot is fixed, but upon revisiting you obtain random loot from chests. You can also get treasure maps from fights to have a chance at finding extremely rare items. Someone obtained the rarest treasure map possible, dug up the treasure, and by chance got the Gekkubijin, something many fans of the game had done before. The games was released in 2005 for the PS2 and no one reportedly got this weapon from a treasure chest until just recently.

ZehDon

Gold Member
In the original Deus Ex, when starting a new game you can allocate experience points to different skills. One of the weapon skills starts at Trained. If you lower it manually to Untrained, you get those experience points back to reallocate. However, if you lower that skill and start the game without allocating any points, the skill revert to Trained, while still giving you the extra points to allocate once the game starts.

This allows you to allocate points into some exploration skills in addition to the usual ones, effectively bypassing the "either/or by design" environmental balancing of the early missions. This snow balls, by allowing you all the additional "exploration bonus" skill rewards without sacrificing other skills and this those rewards.

Never seen it mentioned anywhere, but it has a huge impact over the course of the game.

How the hell have I beaten LA 3 times and never knew that there was bomb arrows. That's so cool!

In Links Awakening, if you throw the boomerang, before flying with the rooster, when it returns it stays in the air directly underneath you and will hurt enemies/grass.

It's Been years but this might make you invincible.

In Revenge of Shinobi in the conveyor belt level (I think just before hulk/terminator boss) there is a hidden 1-up box on the tight hand side of the large bottomless pit at the start.
If you double jump and throw shurikens you will activate it.
It is possible to jump across, move backward on the belt get it and not all in but it's extremely difficult.

The real secret is, that it's actually a 2-up box. Not sure if anymore exist in the game. You can collect the lives, die, rinse, repeat and profit.

Not sure how widely documented either are. Would like to know though.

I've never found anyone else mention this anywhere, so

In Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, in the GDI campaign, the last mission (#17, Ground Zero) is pretty long and at least I thought it was kinda frustrating.

I found that if I just rush to build 7 or 8 mammoth tanks (enough to wipe NOD off the map) and then sell all my buildings, it causes NOD's AI to just completely ignore you. I'm not sure why but not having a base just breaks their AI. But the best thing is selling all your buildings gives you the liquid tiberium bomb right away.

So I just send the mammoth tanks to nearly take them out why they focus on the Skrin, then use the liquid tiberium bomb on the Skrin control node cause... eh why not, and then finish off the last of the Nod.

I can beat this mission in like 7 minutes using this strategy and every time I've replayed the game I've gone back to this.

robot

The secret ending that was found in Raimais earlier this month was kinda crazy.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1416782

Taito was so crazy and cryptic back then that I wouldn't be surprised if there was other stuff still hidden in a few of their arcade games.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of people don't know about the whole Heaven thing in New Zealand Story. That shit blew my mind when I discovered it on accident.

EctoPrime

It was never really promoted but a huge number of old PC games fill the cd-rom with extras like game demos and trailers. I recall looking in the the Microsoft Soccer disc and the majority of the storage is used for a demo of Deadly Tide (A fmv game). If you ever got a budget edition of a game it was very likely to include patch files.

The video section in early Xbox games like Halo is I believe a remnant of this style of promotion.

Good rule of thumb: if it's described in a fan wiki, or if there's footage of it anywhere on youtube, it doesn't count.

Doesn't this kind of defeats the purpose of it? I think as long as something is discovered many many many years after the game is release, it should count. I mean, I'm reading about these cool discoveries, and I can't try them out myself because it's not documented?

Eh, this isn't a big one, but I couldn't find anything on it before.
In Pokemon Sun/Moon, if you use Future Sight on an empty target slot, the camera clips through the middle of the stage because there's nothing to face. The move still works if something else occupies that slot later though.

My first time discovering this was in Mania

Hah, that's nice. J tester it as soon as no got to the section in mania.

However, you cannot move it by doing the spin dash like in sonic 3

This also caused you to fall while in spin dash animation including smoke.

This isn't in mania. :(

Same with the marble garden staircase button things.

If you spindash on them it activates them and you get a nice floated jump while remaining in spin dash animation.

Not so in Mania on stardust speedway.

Also I found Infinite lives and points in Mania on day one.

I've couldn't uploaded the video though, it's been driving me crazy that's it's stuck on my PS4
I guess others found it by now, but when I found it, no one had documented online.

Regiruler

Doesn't this kind of defeats the purpose of it? I think as long as something is discovered many many many years after the game is release, it should count. I mean, I'm reading about these cool discoveries, and I can't try them out myself because it's not documented?

That's why I said rule of thumb. If it's something really crazy then w/e. I think people can have a sense of judgment for what fits.

Risev1

In Ground Zeroes, if you rescue Paz before Chico, you can take her to the small cave overlooking the cliff near the prison chopper landing area. If you put her down inside the cave, a short cutscene plays out where Snake gently places Paz on the ground.

Also in the cave, if you place both Chico and Paz there, they will start humming a tune after a short while.

When I was a kid I somehow found a cheat code for mortal Kombat 1 for snes. Till this day I don't think it's been discovered. I entered some random combination on the main screen I think. Then when it got to a match if you press L and R at the same time it would change to a different stage. I think it had to be on the 2P controller. I was trying to find some secret blood code but somehow managed to find this.

Was never able to replicate this code.

No bs.

Google'd this and found nothing. Hoax?

I thought I had read that before but at any rate all I found was a GameFAQs thread about it. Looking at images of the moon it's a case of simple pareidolia. Two craters sort of look like eyes and a large area below them could be construed as a mouth. It looks like a bunny sitting by a bonfire if you ask me.

ss_lemonade

Do weird bugs count? I posted this on another thread here a while back:

In Mortal Kombat 1 for the Genesis, go to the options screen, then to sound fx. Now go through all available sound fx (1 - 17) while mashing on the C button to play back each (note that sometimes, not all sound effects will play). Once you reach the last sound effect, wait a few seconds and the game will start playing back random sounds.

In Revenge of Shinobi in the conveyor belt level (I think just before hulk/terminator boss) there is a hidden 1-up box on the tight hand side of the large bottomless pit at the start.
If you double jump and throw shurikens you will activate it.
Known about this when we still had our Genesis, probably because I would always just spam the shuriken-spread attack everywhere.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nope. Just a Protect Ring, which you already probably have 4 or so of by that point.

FF games outside of FFXII have the weirdest rewards for doing time consuming side quests.

Most people know you can bypass most of Delta Halo in Halo 2 by jumping up the side of the cliff at the beginning and just walking across. Another Easter egg I found was a well hidden marine dead body with rocket ammo midway through the level. It's behind the pelican at the part marines get picked up by the pelican. You have to grenade jump along the wall side to get to it. Also you can jump on the pelicans nose and be lifted away out of the maps main area.... I had a lot of time on my hands when I found this stuff haha

Sailor Xan

Neo Member
Here's a tiny thing I discovered as a kid, and have never seen documented anywhere. In Sonic and Knuckles, pausing will subtly mess with the music in Sandopolis Zone Act 1.
Under normal circumstances, there is an effect applied to the first note of the main melody (around 7 seconds into the track) which is not applied to the same note when it repeats (around 13 seconds in). I don't know music terminology, but it's kind of a "bwah" sound. Anyway, if you pause and unpause during this section, the effect gets applied to the next note that plays. I remember messing with this a lot, rapidly pressing pause so that the weird effect could be heard on every note.

xboxster

I recall in one of the Pokemon Stadium games that transferring an item/pokemon from the GB cartridge to the N64 game, then shutting off the console midway through, resulted in an item/pokemon on both.

I used this to get a ton of rare candies and try and have a full pokedex in Pokemon Crystal. Never seen this written up online. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact steps or timing anymore, but I think that's the gist of it.

PMS341

KOTOR on Xbox had a glitch that let you "fake" level up but keep certain skills. You could obtain Force Lightning super early and just melt mobs.

Fuck it, let's do this.

http://daikatana.wikia.com/wiki/Poseidon's_Trident
https://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/197032-john-romeros-daikatana/faqs/10982

Poseidon's Trident lets you stay underwater without drowning.

If anyone else has ever figured this out, I've never seen it written down anywhere. The reason is that the game never tells you this, and never presents an environment that can't easily be passed *without* the trident in single player or multiplayer.

I was making a multiplayer map (sue me, the MP is actually really good) for the game that slowly floods, and play testing it with a friend. Sometimes we just wouldn't drown and it took a while to figure out why.

We didn't share this information when we did figure it out.

Obviously it makes sense, but I can only presume.

Back then I went by Dr Foxy. I believe that map is still in rotation on a number of remaining Daikatana servers and is bundled into the free MP only version of the game that was put together by fans (and approved by Romero).

Map design was not a career it made sense for me to pursue.

Anura

I discovered a nifty little glitch in Sonic Advance 2 that I don't hear much of. It lets you use the spin dash while fighting bosses and in that game all bosses are fought while running. It's super simple, all you need to do is get close to the boss and use your character's attack move and then hold down. You will now be crouching and be dragged along.

In one of the PS2-era Sonic games, I think Shadow the Hedgehog, there's a hidden power-up behind a wall, either Speed Shoes or Invincibility, which I only recall encountering once in the entire game. And I got all 11 endings. (Yes, I know.) I want to say it was a ghost or ruins level like Cryptic Castle, Death Ruins, or Final Haunt. Could be wrong about it, but it's really rare if it appears more than that.

Oh, speaking of, if you kill over 6 minutes in the final Super Shadow fight, which is actually kind of hard, Eggman reveals how Shadow survived SA2. It's kind of a cop-out, but it's there.

Willenium

the two-player mode in Final Fantasy 6 is so weakly implemented that most players don't even know it exists. Hell, the actual game never even mentions it. Not even in the Tutorial House in Narshe.

Durante

In the PC version of Trails of Cold Steel, Fie's field attacks have a 5% chance of stunning an enemy group even if you hit them from the front.

the two-player mode in Final Fantasy 6 is so weakly implemented that most players don't even know it exists. Hell, the actual game never even mentions it. Not even in the Tutorial House in Narshe.
I played the entire game in 2 player coop. Doesn't count :p

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There's a secret quest in AC:Unity where you have to find and eat five hidden cakes, (they give you no prompt to do this),
4b20Cx4.gif

once you do it triggers an event at Luxembourg Garden where the npc who was the target in the e3 2014 co-op demo, this chap right here:

is hosting a party while standing on a giant cake...

if you go to eat the cake he attacks you and is the strongest npc in the entire game, if you beat him he gives you 50K in currency and fireworks start appearing:

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
That BoF2 thing is new to me, too, and I've replayed that game many many times.

I'd be curious to know how long it took to discover some of the weird secrets from Final Fantasy IV like the PinkPuffs and Adamant Armor, and the weird 2 RedGiant battle in the Lunar temple by pressing A in front of the HP restore tile. My assumption is that they were discovered through rom hacks.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member

Yep, I remember it. It doesn't even feel like 2-player mode. Just feels like they allowed both controllers to be active.

Secret of Mana is co-op as well but did anyone really use it that way?

PSqueak

Banned
I think it might have been patched out by now, but something people didn't realize is you can die in the Papyrus boss fight in Undertale if you make it to the final attack with like 3 hp, the large graphics in the end of the attack could kill you before the game reacted fast enough to play the bit where Papyrus takes you to his jail instead you'd die and the game would crash because it is supposed to be impossible to die to Papyrus.

That's right, Papyrus is such a nice guy that the game would outright reject the idea that he can kill you!

Fuck it, let's do this.

http://daikatana.wikia.com/wiki/Poseidon's_Trident
https://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/197032-john-romeros-daikatana/faqs/10982

Poseidon's Trident lets you stay underwater without drowning.

If anyone else has ever figured this out, I've never seen it written down anywhere. The reason is that the game never tells you this, and never presents an environment that can't easily be passed *without* the trident in single player or multiplayer.

I was making a multiplayer map (sue me, the MP is actually really good) for the game that slowly floods, and play testing it with a friend. Sometimes we just wouldn't drown and it took a while to figure out why.

We didn't share this information when we did figure it out.

Obviously it makes sense, but I can only presume.

Back then I went by Dr Foxy. I believe that map is still in rotation on a number of remaining Daikatana servers and is bundled into the free MP only version of the game that was put together by fans (and approved by Romero).

Map design was not a career it made sense for me to pursue.

This is really cool and for some reason I feel like a bitch now.

Yep, I remember it. It doesn't even feel like 2-player mode. Just feels like they allowed both controllers to be active.

Secret of Mana is co-op as well but did anyone really use it that way?

Uhh, yes? It was one of Secret of Mana's strongest selling point. At least in Europe. I played the hell out of it with my brother.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In final fantasy tactics advance, it's possible to have mewt die in the tutorial snow ball fight if you have every player character target fire him and don't miss any snow balls. It requires a lot of luck and isn't worth the effort and it doesn't change anything.

You can also just keep doing the recruit missions ASAP to raise your negotiation stat and get a free weapon with the steal:ability command, allowing you to get ALL SORTS OF CRAZY SHIT early. It takes about two hours of the most tedious grinding though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I haven't read the manual for FF III in awhile but I'm sure it mentions multiplayer. It's just a neat little bonus feature and a good way for a little sibling to be a total dick.

The multiplayer in SoM however was a much touted feature and groundbreaking for action RPGs. The only thing even remotely like it before then were Gauntlet and Gauntlet clones. This is years before Diablo or Phantasy Star Online. It's not just two player but three!

Oh, I got another one that I don't remember seeing anywhere. Pokemon again. In Ruby/Sapphire, if you hatch an egg in the Cave of Origin, the hatching music will continue to play until you leave the room.

I remembered a Sonic & Knuckles one I heard recently. In Sonic's Sky Sanctuary Zone there is a way to change the sprite of Knuckles panting to him instead shooing you away. It requires pressing down while facing him in a specific spot. As Cybershell put it he did it once as a kid and years later wondered if he had imagined the whole thing until there was a post mentioning an easter egg which turned out to be just that.
https://youtu.be/J9KkZKh4v-0?t=3m48s

I still leave myself wondering if the signpost landing on the wrong character (like you were playing as Sonic but it lands on Tails) and killing you was my imagination (when google page 2 has gotten to "Delta flight mistakenly lands at base in South Dakota" you know there is no info). The Hydrocity Act 2 partial zip certainly wasn't at least...(if you get crushed in the right spot you can not die and instead fall into the wall, holding directions can zip you along the level)

I don't think anyone knows how to get all the bonus points in Spider-Man: The Movie (2002). There are videos for getting most of the bonuses but some are still undocumented in any form, to my knowledge. One of them is for taking out a certain enemy type in the 4th level and I don't think anyone knows how many of them you have to destroy. The bonus never seems to be given regardless of how many you take out.

Also the "Perfect" bonus you get for taking no damage in a level seems straight-up impossible in a few levels without putting on the infinite webbing cheat and spamming Web Dome every couple of feet.

Edit: Also worth noting that the Spider-Man game has an "Advanced" control scheme that allows you to do directional dodges and attacks with the D-pad + Jump/Punch/Kick buttons but I've never seen anyone use that play style in video format, despite it being straight-up superior to the default control scheme.

In one of the PS2-era Sonic games, I think Shadow the Hedgehog, there's a hidden power-up behind a wall, either Speed Shoes or Invincibility, which I only recall encountering once in the entire game. And I got all 11 endings. (Yes, I know.) I want to say it was a ghost or ruins level like Cryptic Castle, Death Ruins, or Final Haunt. Could be wrong about it, but it's really rare if it appears more than that.

Oh, speaking of, if you kill over 6 minutes in the final Super Shadow fight, which is actually kind of hard, Eggman reveals how Shadow survived SA2. It's kind of a cop-out, but it's there.

There aren't any Speed Shoes in Shadow but you're probably thinking about the hidden Invincibility power-up in Cryptic Castle.

I remembered a Sonic & Knuckles one I heard recently. In Sonic's Sky Sanctuary Zone there is a way to change the sprite of Knuckles panting to him instead shooing you away. It requires pressing down while facing him in a specific spot. As Cybershell put it he did it once as a kid and years later wondered if he had imagined the whole thing until there was a post mentioning an easter egg which turned out to be just that.
https://youtu.be/J9KkZKh4v-0?t=3m48s

Yeah, I saw this video when it was uploaded and it blew my fucking mind, to say the least.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If you find this little fella on Dark Souls 1, one poor player lost a insane amount of souls there.

That - or they dropped an item and it drifted between multiple worlds. If a player drops an item, and they're on the same network node as someone else, it can transfer into their world. If its dropped somewhere obscure, the player might not see it and die, and it'll drift out of their world too. When it does this enough times, it becomes a vagrant.

I did a bunch of testing on this with IllusoryWall using the debug build of Dark Souls because it has a networking tool which lets you see a network map of all the players you're connected to.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh yeah! And related to this! With the debug build, when one spawns you can control it. Heres a hot little bonus.

vagrant_fuck_yo_shit_by_aloooo81-dbl6xn0.gif

While finding that, I found I also have a video of a Vagrant fighting Capra Demon which I just uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wun0o5tcd2U

That - or they dropped an item and it drifted between multiple worlds. If a player drops an item, and they're on the same network node as someone else, it can transfer into their world. If its dropped somewhere obscure, the player might not see it and die, and it'll drift out of their world too. When it does this enough times, it becomes a vagrant.

I did a bunch of testing on this with IllusoryWall using the debug build of Dark Souls because it has a networking tool which lets you see a network map of all the players you're connected to.

Top Bottom