• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things that instantly turn you off from games.

Josephl64

Oh I forgot a real important one

-I was reminded of a video I saw recently, I hate games filled with memes and shit, that seems to be a few indie titles and other titles crazy for the popular memes and tired jokes.

I'm pretty damn certain it's a genre, yes a genre of cartoon. (Oh boy everyone is going to yell at me for calling japanese animation a cartoon).

Yes, I don't like a lot of western cartoons or whatever , from any country, I don't like disney movies/dreamworks/any CGI animated movies, and more importantlyI don't like anime period.

Anime isn't a genre, but a medium as it stands for animation. Cartoons are a part of it...in no way could you ever conceivably consider it to be a genre,

Bad checkpoints.

Here do the last half hour of gameplay again? Unless you're a great game and designed around that sort of thing (before someone points out my username :p) then no thanks!

Kalamoj

No singleplayer
This is an absolute dealbraker. I don't care if I have to be online, just give me the option to ignore other players.

Kssio_Aug

Timed missions, unnatural "overotakus" characters (FFXIII characters style), silly hard quests (like that nonsense twins legendaries ships at AC IV) and bugs that breaks the gaming experience.

nkarafo

You don't think there are anime that look a whole lot like ZoE and MGR?
I remember that ZOE 2 had these anime cutscenes. But only the cutscenes. During gameplay you had these cool looking mechas that had some influences from japanese mecha designs but overall they looked different. In the same way the Evangelions looked much different than your typical japanese mecha at the time.

Personally, ZOE gave me futuristic Egyptian/Stargate vibes. If it wasn't for the cutscenes i wouldn't think about it being anime-like.

Crafting - I just hate this mechanic. A game immediately becomes akin to work when this enters into the equation. Unfortunately, it's everywhere now.

BigFwoosh

- Loli shit on the cover. I have no problem with an anime artstyle, but the loli shit is just gross.
- Any time a game is described as "Other-Game-Title meets Dark Souls" or "The Dark Souls of X-Genre." Nothing against the Souls series, I actually rather enjoy them, but I don't need or want every game to be Dark Souls.

Bland western fantasy art.
Bald space marines.
Real-world military settings, classic or modern.
Constant gratuitous and excessively graphic violence (ie god of war).
First person shooters.
Lack of single player, or a multiplayer focus.
Bioware.
Bethesda.
Thatgamecompany.
Zombies.
Lack of a real fail state / walking simulators
"Attack wheel" mechanics in an rpg. I'm looking at you legend of dragoon and shadow hearts. (For some reason unlimited saga is fine though, maybe since it's more like a dice roll in that?)

Fees, requires DLC, requires internet connection, DRM nonsense, "gets better after first 10 hours," generic title, generic boxart (army guy with rifle shooting, ugh), zombies, only for PC, only for iPhone, virtual release only, $60 price tag

Bland western fantasy art.
Bald space marines.
Real-world military settings, classic or modern.
Constant gratuitous and excessively graphic violence (ie god of war).
First person shooters.
Lack of single player, or a multiplayer focus.
Bioware.
Bethesda.
Thatgamecompany.
Zombies.
Lack of a real fail state / walking simulators
"Attack wheel" mechanics in an rpg. I'm looking at you legend of dragoon and shadow hearts. (For some reason unlimited saga is fine though, maybe since it's more like a dice roll in that?)

This is a big one. Nothing sinks my heart and raises my top lip like playing what seems to be decent game with a friend, and then, one or us or both of us die, and we immediately spawn again, having lost nothing. No set back at all. Nothing on the line..

If there's no fail state, there's no game. Constant autosaves and instant checkpoints get dangerously close to the same thing.. I only appreciate checkpoints when the game is that unpleasant that I'd never want to do it again, and would rather just see it through.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Tutorials (if your game NEEDS one 'you done goofed')
Online play (DO NOT WANT)
DLC (DO NOT WANT)
BioWare
No split screen muti
Anything to do with Valve Corporation
Zombies
Survival Horror that isn't F.E.A.R.
Lack of an anime or Japanese influence in general
3D Platformers (all of them are so bad)

Daximuss

You know, the thing where, as soon as you find out the game has it or is it, you don't want to play the game anymore. No thought or rationality is involved here, you just lose interest immediately.

I don't expect there to be any attempt for you to defend your gaming turnoffs, as they are almost by definition irrational turnoffs that don't take into account counter-examples.

Okay, let's begin.

For me:

-Anything with an anime art style.
-Anything on a handheld or smartphone.(just not comfortable to play)
-Scantily-clad woman on front cover (this just screams "pandering to 13-year-olds")
-Motion controls (stopped playing the Wii after 2007 because of this)
-MMOs
-Generic title, like "Rise of the" or "Reckoning" or "Unleashed" or "Evolution" or what have you
-Zombies

So, GAF, how about you? What "features" virtually ensure that you'll never play a game?

I detest playing any game or section of a game that has me on a timer.

I also dread those missions/quests in games where you have to chase the person and you can't lose sight of him/her or you'll get "mission failed".

yyr

Street Fighter 4 is a more substantial game that Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition.

When you consider that SSF4AE has 39 characters in total, and that the original home console version of SF4 has just 25 characters, I just don't see how that statement makes any sense. There's over double the number of possible matchups. Plus, the existing characters got new moves.

There's a lot more to learn to be successful in vs. mode (online and off), which is the heart of any fighting game, and really the only mode that matters. That's just what a fighting game is.

Okay, honest question for those people who detest time limits (which seems to be, like, half of you): I'm working on the sequel to Snake360, my Snake game from 2008 with 3D graphics, 4-player battles and 300 campaign levels. The goal of the campaign is to take 9 targets to clear each stage before either you crash or time runs out. My belief was that Snake inherently NEEDS a time limit, because otherwise you can just go around in a circle forever and stay alive indefinitely. But what are your thoughts on this? Would you be more likely to play it if the time limit was simply replaced by a speed bonus?

Honestly I think every game developer should look through this thread.

I remember that ZOE 2 had these anime cutscenes. But only the cutscenes. During gameplay you had these cool looking mechas that had some influences from japanese mecha designs but overall they looked different. In the same way the Evangelions looked much different than your typical japanese mecha at the time.

Personally, ZOE gave me futuristic Egyptian/Stargate vibes. If it wasn't for the cutscenes i wouldn't think about it being anime-like.

You know there's anime that's all CG, right?

ZoE was anime "shit" according to people here. People here wouldn't touch this "anime shit" game with a ten foot pole because of anime.

and I laugh, because ZoE is a really good game.

Raw64life

- F2P
- DLC
- Always online
- Origin/Uplay bullshit

- bad framerate
- time limits
- 90% of everything in the game is black, brown or grey

I can tolerate anime art style up until a certain point.

-Pay-to-play
-MMOs
-Excessive fan-service
-crude humor
-restrictive saving that can result in hours of game time without the ability to save.

Edit: How could I forget this.
-Always Online
-intrusive DRM

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Can't say anything will explicitly turn me right off but a tutorial that explains how to walk or move the camera is a big red light.

Myths

Genuinely interested in those complaining about people writing off games for having an 'anime' art style explain how that's somehow nuanced for 'western' art style/direction.

Or, at the very least, the former is under fire from what I've noticed.

Genuinely interested in those complaining about people writing off games for having an 'anime' art style explain how that's somehow nuanced for 'western' art style/direction.

Or, at the very least, the former is under fire from what I've noticed.
Are you asking those that dislike anime art styles to expound or are you asking people that are annoyed at those who say they hate anime?

I tend not to like very masculine characters.

This is something that alienates me from a lot of Western video games, and some Japanese video games. On the other hand, I love Western video games like They Bleed Pixels which are about girls or women.

A lot of Japanese RPG protagonists that people call "androgynous", don't seem androgynous to me at all. And are often too masculine for my tastes.

Myths

Are you asking those that dislike anime art styles to expound or are you asking people that are annoyed at those who say they hate anime?

Latter...

I was just noting how there were more responses to 'anime' art style being listed than 'western' (if any at all) as a turn off.

elektrixx

Banned
So far I haven't been proven wrong, but I avoid any Rockstar game that isn't Grand Theft Auto and all Konami games.

Track & Field is the only good Konami game.

Voice acting in nearly all JRPGs. I mean I will still play and enjoy the games, but the voice acting is almost always groan-inducing.

The stories are almost always stupid as well.

Latest example is Bravely Default. UGH. The disappointing part is that the writing isn't even bad. The translators did a really nice job with a lot of the dialogue I think, at least given the source material. But the voice acting - I can't take any of it seriously.

Top Bottom