• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Think I've found the true "next Walkman"

• Thread starter Deleted member 284
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Sony Debuts 20 Gigabyte Walkman to Silence IPod

Thu Jul 1, 6:17 AM ET Add Technology - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Bernhard Warner

LONDON/TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites). said on Thursday it is launching a Walkman digital music player capable of storing far more songs than Apple Computer Inc.'s market-leading iPod, while also undercutting iPod's price

The Japanese consumer electronics maker said the 20-gigabyte device, which is its second hard-disk drive gadget aimed at unseating Apple and can store 13,000 songs, will be launched on July 10 in Japan, by mid-August in the United States and in September in Europe.

Dubbed the Network Walkman NW-HD1, it marks a major upgrade to the legendary Walkman brand and the announcement comes on the 25th anniversary of the introduction of Sony's groundbreaking portable music player -- July 1, 1979.

It is expected to sell for around 53,000 yen ($487) in Japan and less than $400 in the United States, Sony said, undercutting Apple's 40-gigabyte device, which sells for $499 and can hold up to 10,000 songs.

Sony said it packed more songs in a smaller storage space by using advanced compression technology.

"Sony has consistently changed the economics of the portable music player business," said Richard Dougherty, lead analyst with Envisioneering Group of Seaford, New York. "But Apple has trumped it for the past 30 months."

Because Sony uses the same 20-gigabyte hard drives across many of its product lines, including computers, it stands to benefit from massive price discounts for buying these devices in volume.

"Prices could fall by as much as 50 percent in the next 12-18 months," Dougherty said.

Sony President Kunitake Ando said at a reception to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Walkman that he was determined to take the spotlight in the market for portable music players away from iPod.

"I don't know if we can take this market back in a year ... But this launch is our message that we will work hard to put an end to the dominance by just one company," Ando said.

Sony declined to comment on sales targets. It has sold 340 million units of the Walkman over the past 25 years, including CD- and MD-based models.

ONLINE MUSIC

The latest product joins the "Vaio pocket," a digital player Sony unveiled in Japan in May. The Vaio pocket has a similar storage capacity and also carries a 53,000 yen price tag.

Sony views a high-capacity, hard-drive player as a crucial addition to its range of products in boosting usage of its online music store Sony Connect. It is hoping the cachet of the Walkman name will help it close the gap on the iPod and Apple's iTunes download service.

Since Apple launched iPod three years ago it has dominated the digital music player market, outselling all competitors by nearly a two-to-one margin. Apple has an even larger lead in downloads, selling over 85 million digital tracks.

"This very clearly completes the range for us," said Robert Ashcroft, senior vice president of Sony network services Europe, a division of Sony Electronics.

Ashcroft said Sony Connect was due to be launched in Europe next week, beginning with the French market. He said that with the NW-HD1, Sony now had over a dozen digital players compatible with Sony Connect.

Assembling a large installed base of consumers with digital music players is considered crucial to survival in the brutally competitive digital download market.

As with Sony's other players, the NW-HD1 plays songs in the company's proprietary ATRAC format only, meaning it is not compatible with other online stores and cannot play tunes in the popular MP3 format.

Sony, well-regarded by gadget lovers for its design prowess, said the NW-HD1 will be the smallest 20-GB player on the market. It is slightly larger than a credit card and 12.6 mm thick -- less than half an inch.

Sony said Toshiba Corp. developed the hard drives and the rest of the gadget was designed by Sony engineers.

The battery lasts 30 hours, at least three times longer than the iPod's -- a selling point that Sony plans to play up in promoting the device.

The NW-HD1 also employs shock-resistant technology that protects the hard drive if is dropped.

"We couldn't come up with something using the Walkman brand until it survived the 1 meter (3 ft 3.37 in) drop test," said Ashcroft.

Shares in Sony closed up 1.22 percent at 4,160 yen, outperforming the benchmark Nikkei average, which rose 0.31 percent. (Additional reporting by Eric Auchard in New York and Kiyoshi Takenaka in Tokyo) ($1=108.78 Yen)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&e=8&u=/nm/20040701/tc_nm/tech_sony_walkman_dc_3

I know that Sony has many different divisions, but I would have thought they would have thrown more of their eggs into the PSP basket in terms of trying to be the next Walkman.

Thoughts? Daggers for olubode? Complaints of this being old news? Inquisitions from Panajev? ;)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Still looks great:

2977_large.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
They're comparing their 20gb device for $400 to the 40gb ipod for $500? How is that a better deal? I'm confused.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I mentioned the psp in my post ;)

Fularu

Banned
demon said:
They're comparing their 20gb device for $400 to the 40gb ipod for $500? How is that a better deal? I'm confused.
especially since the ipod uses mp3 and the sony one uses shitty atrac3+

xsarien

daedsiluap
demon said:

The only company allowed to charge a premium for their shit and get away with it besides Apple is Sony.

And in the case of this particular match-up, the iPod actually wins. It supports mp3, aac/m4a, aiff, and wav. Sony, in their infinite wisdom, continues to cede the battle to Sony Music and is only letting this thing use ATRAC. Which is, you know, dumb.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's a pretty stupid comparision they did. They should have compared it to the 20GB Ipod which costs the same but is larger (from what I can see, Sony's device is around the size of Ipod mini, but with 5x capacity)

maynerd

Banned
why do these companies insist on having so much storage? Someone needs to come up with a low cost alternative with good capacity maybe a 5 gig HD for 100-150.

nitewulf

sony HDD device is 8.9 x 6.2 x 1.4cm
ipod mini is 9.1 x 5.1 x 1.3cm
ipod 20 GB is 10.4 x 6.1 x 1.6cm
so its size is somewhere between the ipod and the ipod mini. the iriver 120 or the ipod are better devices IMO, forcing that ATRAC codec is sorta stupid. pricepoint would be too high at 400 as well, even if it is the same as the ipod...ipod is the lexus of mp3 players.

aoi tsuki

After looking at the competition, i don't see much problem with this player. A lot of my stuff is in FLAC format, and i can't seem to find a player that supports FLAC and doesn't look cheesy (no offense to Karma fans). So regardless of what i get, i'd have to transcode them back to WAV or to MP3 just to put them on the device.

It still lacks functionality as a removal mass storage device, and i have a feeling the interface and features will be lacking compared to other players. If nothing else, it'll be much more closed that other players.

But it looks so sexy...

Timbuktu

The iPod is already the next Walkman. Sony's lack of focus is unbelievable. They have another Vaio Pocket that does support mp3 and stuff, but they're still pushing the MD and now the UMD. what a mess.

Sho Nuff

Banned
As with Sony's other players, the NW-HD1 plays songs in the company's proprietary ATRAC format only, meaning it is not compatible with other online stores and cannot play tunes in the popular MP3 format.

loser.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom